Multiple NCAA assistant coaches arrested in corruption scheme

52,697 Views | 518 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pumpkinhead
Pumpkinhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ashley Judd warning off Stansbury a few weeks ago when he arrived to Mitchell Robinson's residence to make the final payment.

Guitarsoup
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

wacarnolds said:

100K AND free hookers.

But according to Pitino, he knows nothing about any of this.
Doesn't matter if Pitino knew or not. HC is responsible.

JJxvi
AG
Again, there are two different scams. Auburn is not accused of paying players or recruits. Chuck Person is accused of taking money from a representative in exchange for convincing Auburn or other players to sign with that rep. Its not about recruiting.

The Louisville, Miami one is definitely about recruiting and involves the shoe companies paying recruits.
Hop
Staff
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Tony Bland of USC (one of the assistant coaches arrested) was the primary recruiter of 2018 PF Taeshon Cherry who A&M spent effort trying to land but committed to the Trojans (cherry said primarily because of his relationship with Bland).

Coaches probably got so used to the lack of bite by the NCAA, the Feds jumping in like this probably has some scurrying around like cock roaches right now.

Federal Charges of wire fraud and money laundering ain't no joke.
Is it wrong of me to first think if A&M has a chance to go back in on Cherry?
DeangeloVickers
AG
I thought the same thing
cjo03
AG
mdanyc03 said:

boboguitar said:

Hop, not all coaches have been named yet, how worried should we be? We are an adidas school as well and we had stansbury...
What does being an Adidas school have to do with anything? All three shoe companies have been implicated.

how have the other shoe companies been implicated?
Guitarsoup
AG
Pretty sure the FBI said Air is inferior to Boost.
3rdGen2015
AG
cjo03 said:

mdanyc03 said:

boboguitar said:

Hop, not all coaches have been named yet, how worried should we be? We are an adidas school as well and we had stansbury...
What does being an Adidas school have to do with anything? All three shoe companies have been implicated.

how have the other shoe companies been implicated?
Big Baller Brand is poised to take up the mantle of top shoe company
cjo03
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Pretty sure the FBI said Air is inferior to Boost.

FBI makes mistakes too.
JJxvi
AG
BTW, Adidas is the only shoe company implicated. There are Nike and Under Armour schools involved, but it seems all of those involve paying bribes to coaches to try to get kids to sign with certain agents and not recruiting. Although Arizona in particular seems to have some trouble because some of the calls mentioned in the affidavits seem to reference illegal money for recruits and players.

EDIT: Actually reading deeper, the other schools do involve paying players. The only affidavit that doesn't mention paying players from what ive seen is the Auburn one.
mazzag
JJxvi
AG
I honestly can't see any way that Louisville could possibly receive less than the type of penalty Baylor got after the Dave Bliss stuff. Every moment that goes by without Pitino being fired from now is a surprise to me.
mikesyracuse1
JJxvi said:

I honestly can't see any way that Louisville could possibly receive less than the type of penalty Baylor got after the Dave Bliss stuff. Every moment that goes by without Pitino being fired from now is a surprise to me.

UofL President issued a short statement earlier. I don't expect pitino or jurich, the AD to survive too many more days

Dealing with The Feds & the assistant US attorneys will be absolutely brutal & they are clearly going to be interested in what UofL has to say--they already have their case made and will just wait for people to flip to give them more evidence & implicate more people

Mikesyracuse1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/ncaa-needs-give-louisville-basketball-death-sentence-bombshell-allegations-prove-correct-181930063.html

Mikesyracuse1
LawHall88
AG
Hop said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Tony Bland of USC (one of the assistant coaches arrested) was the primary recruiter of 2018 PF Taeshon Cherry who A&M spent effort trying to land but committed to the Trojans (cherry said primarily because of his relationship with Bland).

Coaches probably got so used to the lack of bite by the NCAA, the Feds jumping in like this probably has some scurrying around like cock roaches right now.

Well, we are an Adidas school...
mikesyracuse1
The days of one and done will most likely be over in the near future.

Mikesyracuse1
mazzag
AG
What did the UL president say?
LawHall88
AG
Hop said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Although all kidding aside, I'm sure the 4 schools implicated (six if you count Louisville and Miami) are probably thrilled that this came down before the signing period. Lots of tap dancing with the commitments going on today, I bet.

And maybe this is why we don't have any commits yet - BK was just waiting for this to break and pick off the guys who decommit from Arizona, Louisville, USC - 4D chess, baby!
Pumpkinhead
AG
mikesyracuse1 said:

JJxvi said:

UofL President issued a short statement earlier. I don't expect pitino or jurich, the AD to survive too many more days

Dealing with The Feds & the assistant US attorneys will be absolutely brutal & they are clearly going to be interested in what UofL has to say--they already have their case made and will just wait for people to flip to give them more evidence & implicate more people

Mikesyracuse1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/ncaa-needs-give-louisville-basketball-death-sentence-bombshell-allegations-prove-correct-181930063.html

Mikesyracuse1

Quote:

The ripples promise to spread from there. As FBI assistant director Bill Sweeney said ominously Tuesday, "We have your playbook. Our investigation is ongoing. We are conducting additional interviews as we speak."

Every basketball program in America is running scared right now, because this is how business gets done. A lot of people knew it, but nobody was able to lay it out with proof like the feds did on Tuesday. It's a dirty sport, and today we know how dirty.

The damage to it will be immense and long-lasting. The NCAA will have a hard fight to make anyone believe in its bread-winner sport again. Which is why the first order of business needs to be blasting Louisville basketball into non-existence.

Shut it down.

mazzag
AG
Fran Fraschilla is saying on Sirius college it's a good day for cbb. He spoke to a NCAA rep who said this is a dark day. Just proves that the NCAA looks away at the cheating. The FBI doesn't have favorites, they're not picking on certain programs and ignoring others.
Pumpkinhead
AG
mikesyracuse1 said:

Mikesyracuse1
Kentucky Wildcat fans seem to be gloating about Louisville going down in smoke, but shouldn't they be a bit concerned deep down inside about ripple effects eventually coming their way?

They've been annually pulling in several one-and-done types who were the most likely type of recruits to be at the center of these scandals for years now. Ain't no way in hell that none of those Kentucky recruits didn't get some 100K-150K offers to go somewhere else, but out of the goodness of their heart still chose Kentucky for free because Go Big Blue. I'd be a bit nervous at the other 'one and done factories' like Kansas and Duke too right now.
Pumpkinhead
AG
LawHall88 said:

Hop said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Although all kidding aside, I'm sure the 4 schools implicated (six if you count Louisville and Miami) are probably thrilled that this came down before the signing period. Lots of tap dancing with the commitments going on today, I bet.

And maybe this is why we don't have any commits yet - BK was just waiting for this to break and pick off the guys who decommit from Arizona, Louisville, USC - 4D chess, baby!
I guess there could be some decommits, but I would also think some players like that Bowen kid may not be eligible to play if the Feds got the evidence of payments. I can't see how the Feds can be showing evidence that a kid got 100K to go to UofL and then he still suits up for college games this November.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Pumpkinhead
AG

Pumpkinhead
AG
Pumpkinhead
AG

The Lost
I would love for this to sneak its way into lawrence, ks. F them.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

mikesyracuse1 said:

Mikesyracuse1
Kentucky Wildcat fans seem to be gloating about Louisville going down in smoke, but shouldn't they be a bit concerned deep down inside about ripple effects eventually coming their way?

They've been annually pulling in several one-and-done types who were the most likely type of recruits to be at the center of these scandals for years now. Ain't no way in hell that none of those Kentucky recruits didn't get some 100K-150K offers to go somewhere else, but out of the goodness of their heart still chose Kentucky for free because Go Big Blue. I'd be a bit nervous at the other 'one and done factories' like Kansas and Duke too right now.

As others have mentioned, I think the blue bloods stay clean in all of this. The coaches are too smart and the assistants make too much to have to go the route of taking bribes. They're all guilty, there just won't be enough evidence for the FBI to go after them. If the FBI had solid leads into teams like Duke, KU, UK, and UNC they probably wouldn't have gone public today with the investigation.
Pumpkinhead
AG

Quote:

FBI assistant director Bill Sweeney had a warning Tuesday for other coaches who might be involved in similar schemes, saying: "We have your playbook. Our investigation is ongoing. We are conducting additional interviews as we speak." The FBI and U.S. Attorney's office said they have established a hotline for information related to the investigation.

Kim said the managers and financial advisers were "circling blue-chip prospects like coyotes" and that "employees of one of the world's largest sportswear companies [was] secretly funneling cash to the families of high school recruits."

Louis Martin "Marty" Blazer III, a former Pittsburgh financial adviser who was accused of stealing $2.35 million from five clients by the Securities and Exchange Commission, was the cooperating witness who helped the FBI in its investigation of the basketball coaches and other defendants, according to U.S. Department of Justice documents obtained by ESPN.

Blazer, who founded Blazer Capital Management, was accused of investing money into movies and entertainment ventures without his clients' knowledge between 2010 and 2012. As part of his plea agreement with the U.S. Attorney's office, Blazer agreed to plead guilty to securities fraud, aggravated identity theft, false statements and documents and two counts of wire fraud, according to the Sept. 19 cooperation agreement.

Among other charges, Blazer was accused of "a scheme to commit wire fraud in or about 2000 through in or about 2013 by making payments and loans to NCAA athletes in order to induce the student-athletes to retain the defendant as a financial advisor and/or business manager."

Pumpkinhead
AG
dp
Pumpkinhead
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

PWestAg18 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

mikesyracuse1 said:

Mikesyracuse1

As others have mentioned, I think the blue bloods stay clean in all of this. The coaches are too smart and the assistants make too much to have to go the route of taking bribes. They're all guilty, there just won't be enough evidence for the FBI to go after them. If the FBI had solid leads into teams like Duke, KU, UK, and UNC they probably wouldn't have gone public today with the investigation.

I can't really agree with the 'coaches are too smart' at those schools opinion. Those folks at Enron thought they were real smart too. History is full of smart folks getting caught. If there was any shady stuff going on with any of their one-and-done recruits, I'm guessing there are some folks on those staffs sweating and crossing fingers right now hoping nothing further comes out implicating them.
mazzag
AG
Crazy the similarities. Busted because of something unrelated but leads to of the biggest scandals in history. And there's more than one school involved.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/197879_Boston_College_basketball_point_shaving_scandal
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Pumpkinhead said:

PWestAg18 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

mikesyracuse1 said:

Mikesyracuse1

I can't really agree with the 'coaches are too smart' at those schools opinion. Those folks at Enron thought they were real smart too. History is full of smart folks getting caught. If there was any shady stuff going on with any of their one-and-done recruits, I'm guessing there are some folks on those staffs sweating and crossing fingers right now hoping nothing further comes out implicating them.
You're probably right about them sweating it out, but I still think the blue bloods stay clean. Look at the teams today that had coaches get caught, all of them are P5 conference schools that are either underachieving or looking for that big recruit to push their program to the next level in their conference/college basketball in general. They got desperate/cocky enough to get sloppy and got caught. I just feel the blue bloods have deep enough connections with the shoe companies and AAU circles to keep their hands clean from all of this. Now that the investigation is out in the open they'll be pulling back even further. I still feel that if the FBI had a lead on a 6 figure deal at a school like Kentucky they wouldn't have gone public until they had enough to indict someone.
Method Man
It's cool. If we get dinged, 12thman productions has a hundred walk on profiles lined up and ready to go to keep our excitement up.
JJxvi
AG
Louisville is a blue blood. Unless you think there are like only 3 blue bloods.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.