The breakfast taco thread!

105,705 Views | 1542 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Tursiops93
Matsui
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Since we went to AC last time (well, the meeting went) lets go to The Donuts Shop this time around. Who is in?
BRP
Definite maybe. Where is this place ?
Matsui
AG
fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=original+donut+shop&fb=1&gl=us&hq=original+donut+shop&hnear=San+Antonio,+TX&cid=0,0,9284303255300206436&ei=ZgItTeLwLcOqlAe3oInPCw&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=6&ved=0CDwQnwIwBQ" CLASS="postlink" TARGET="_blank">http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=original+donut+shop&fb=1&gl=us&hq=original+donut+shop&hnear=San+Antonio,+TX&cid=0,0,9284303255300206436&ei=ZgItTeLwLcOqlAe3oInPCw&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=6&ved=0CDwQnwIwBQ

Vance Jackson & Fredericksburg Road

They don't take credit though. All cash. Right across the street from Planned Parenthood.

[This message has been edited by Matsui (edited 1/11/2011 7:27p).]
BRP
I'll bring a fat sack o cash money.
AgDev01
AG
Ill be there in the morning.

I am assuming Obi Wan will be as well. if not he will have to buy everyone's tacos at the next meeting he attends, as he initially selected it.
AgDev01
AG
BRP, Matsui and I all enjoyed tacos this morning at the original donut shop.

The chorizo was good.

Matsui had the country and potatoes - special recommendation from the cashier and a Migas taco (whcih was more like a plate of migas on top of a tortilla) from the chef's special stock.

BRP had the carne guisasa with cheese.

Unfortunately the homeless member of my flock was not in attendance.
Matsui
AG
Obi Wan owes us tacos at the next meeting.
BRP
AC is still better but this was good.
littlemisst08
the doughnuts are mighty tasty there too
AAM02
AG
quote:
Unfortunately the homeless member of my flock was not in attendance.

T&P
AgDev01
AG
I'm sure he was safe and warm at Haven for Hope.
Commander Bob
AG
and I'm contagious again
slappy
AG
I keep saying I'll join y'all next week. It never happens. Sucks, too, because I actually live near Hot Donuts.
Obi Wan Ginobili
i won't be buying anyone tacos. i offered up a place and got no response. brp then suggested AC, thus taking over as most recent to suggest a place.

see y'all next week. i hope.

AAM02
AG
There's no crying in taco threads!!
BRP
And no Butthurt on this board.
Matsui
AG
Obi - wrong. You suggested the original donut shop and we went there the following wednesday. No show obi.
Obi Wan Ginobili
i suggested a place and no one responded with a yes or a no for two days.

my feelings are hurt.
Commander Bob
AG
Taco Taco Taco
AgDev01
AG
Name the time and place.
AgDev01
Matsui
AG
We meeting Wednesday?
AgDev01
AG
7:00am at Jalapenos at Babcock and Prue is my suggestion.
Commander Bob
Matsui
AG
That place was solid. I'll be there.
BurnetAggie99
Top Five:
1.) El Milagrito
In terms of service, food quality, and total ‘taco shop’ experience, look no further than El Milagrito, family owned and operated for over 40 years. Located on St. Mary’s Street between 281 and all the bars, its tacos are amazing. If it can be cracked open, sautéed, grilled, or stewed, they will put it in a taco for you, and do it quickly. And the tortillas: whoa, man. Their flour tortillas are tender and only slightly chewy, making them perfect for any and all things egg, and the corn tortillas were dense, slightly sweet, and durable. Even if you don’t know what it is, do yourself a favor and get the Asada a la Mexicana with guacamole. Don’t ask questions, just do it.

2.) Taco Tex
The only thing keeping this Northside powerhouse on 281 and Brooke Hollow from garnering top spot on this list is their unfortunate lack of homemade corn tortillas. Flour they’ve got covered, but corn… sigh. Oh well, you’ll just have to suck it up and use their griddled, slightly crisped flour tortillas as your vehicle for tasting what are arguably the best ingredients of any taco shop in town. Sure the Norteno and Trash Can tacos are delicious, but their Tacos al Pastor are ethereal. Slow-smoked, adobo-chile marinated pork loin and a salsa that whups the competition, they are the single best breakfast tacos in town, but you’ve got to like pork, because they load it on there. Pity you.

3.) Taco Taco
Bon Appétit magazine rated them as ‘Best Tacos in America,’ and they are certainly delicious. But keep in mind, those food critics are of the French Culinary persuasion, and French food favors subtle spices and flavors, and San Antonians don’t want ‘no hints of nothin’!’ You have got to punch people in the face with your flavors to win them over here. That said, they do make the best corn tortillas around. Thicker than most, they have a robust corn bite to them that makes their chorizo and barbacoa (oh-so tender beef cheek) tacos some of the best around.

4.) Blanco’s Mexican Restaurant
Ironically located within the same parking lot as a Spectrum Athletic Club, Blanco’s is an unassuming square building with tinted windows, a drive through that allows you to pass by a dumpster, and big red letters mounted on its storefront. But this isn’t a decorating review, it is a food review, and Blanco’s has the best breakfast tacos in Alamo Heights, and maybe the best machacado (dried beef) and egg taco north of Culebra. Because their ingredients are so fresh, the peppers and onions still pop in your mouth, and their tortillas – both corn and flour – are wicked good. Their salsa is flavorful, though not spicy, and that is the only knock on them, as their food is good enough, fast enough, and inexpensive enough to make you overlook that.

5.) Las Carretas
They have really good breakfast tacos, all on fresh corn and flour tortillas, and the waitresses are helpful and knowledgeable, but the pastries here are so incredible, the tacos become an afterthought. Things you can’t even pronounce sit on mislabled shelves and are so sweet, creamy, flaky and tender… this is just a great place for breakfast. It cracks – CRACKS – the Top Five (over Las Brazas on Vance Jackson) because their breakfast tacos are really good (fresh, stuffed, and fast) and those pastries they serve are stupendous.

And you can’t have a list of good without at least a mention of bad, so here it is:

Biggest Taco Let Down:
Chacho’s and Chalucci’s on 410 and Perrin Beitel – Yes, the ingredients are fresh. Yes, you get way more food than you pay for, and it’s actually pretty good. But the environment is deplorable. During the day, it smells like bleach and bathroom cleaner, and after lunch… well, it just doesn’t feel like the safest place in town. Through no fault of its own, when the sun sets, it looks like the set of ‘Oz’ in there, and not the one with the wizard. Mix that with cheap margaritas and some bad blood, it’s a Maury Povich show.

AgDev01
AG
Nice to see another person wise enough to recognize the greatness of el milagrito
BurnetAggie99
Rolando's Super Tacos

Taco Haven
AgDev01
AG
It's like you are my taco kindred spirit.
BurnetAggie99
Just know great tacos and I lived in San Antonio for awhile and I still have family that lives there. My heritage is Spanish and German. So I know what good tacos should taste like. My Grandma who is Spanish makes fresh tortillas and makes some of the best Spanish food in the world. Even through there are some diffeences between Spanish and Mexican food they are very close to each other.
Obi Wan Ginobili
wednesday it is. tacos are on me. not drinks though. only tacos.
Commander Bob
AG
I suddenly have the hankering for a spread of 20 chorizo tacos.
Obi Wan Ginobili
i'll cut you.
BRP
I'll help you with that. We can see if Bob really bleeds maroon or not. I'm bringing my own spork.
BRP

[This message has been edited by BRP (edited 1/24/2011 9:45p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.