LIV and PGA Tour Merging

43,047 Views | 705 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Big Cat `93
98Ag99Grad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brooks playing well in the first 2 majors helped drive this as well. PGAT guys saw him free wheeling on LIV making huge money then coming over to their tour and spanking guys. Players were already complaining about the schedule leading up to the Masters. This looks like a huge win for LIV IMO. No TV ratings, playing some questionable tour level courses, and no real revenue stream we know of and now they are partnered with the major tours and have a head seat at the table. Greg Norman has his revenge.
cone
AG
so when does China buy the NBA outright?
AggieDruggist89
AG
Wondering if our Anti-LIV crowd will now boycott the PGAT as they did LIV.
Baby Billy
AG
This is going to piss off every single PGA Tour player that stuck around. This news changes everything for golf
MW03
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Yeah, LIV absolutely just won this battle. They pretty much just bought the PGA and have the right of first refusal for any additional capital contributions. Saudi owns the PGA now
Kind of hard not to see it that way.

(1) Under the terms of the agreement, the Board of Directors of the new entity will oversee and direct all the new entity's golf-related commercial operations, businesses and investments.

(2) PIF will initially be the exclusive investor in the new entity, alongside the PGA TOUR, LIV Golf and the DP World Tour. Going forward, PIF will have the exclusive right to further invest in the new entity, including a right of first refusal on any capital that may be invested in the new entity, including into the PGA TOUR, LIV Golf and DP World Tour.

(3) The Board of Directors of the new commercial entity will include Al-Rumayyan as Chairman and Monahan as Chief Executive Officer.

If there's a saving grace, it's this: "The PGA TOUR will appoint a majority of the Board and hold a majority voting interest in the combined entity."

Additionally, it carves out the PGA TOUR for controlling everything about its own events, i.e., the sanctioning of events, the administration of the competition and rules, as well as all other "inside the ropes" responsibilities. BUT, PIF's Governor Yasir Al-Rumayyan will join the PGA TOUR Policy Board.

So essentially, if the PGA TOUR wants more money, it has to come from PIF. What happens when the PGA TOUR wants to do something that the PIF doesn't like? Where do their investments come from?
AggieDruggist89
AG
JP_Losman said:

this is a mercy killing of LIV.

They were circling the drain to PGAT bailed out so they could bring back a few star players
and wash this down the drain

YOU CANT BE SERIOUS
safety guy
AG
Also, where's Christine Brennan. She has been a whiny b$&@ since LIV started. The thing I like about LIV is that they tried different stuff. I like the team concept to a point. If they mix and match, it could be great. At the end of the day, the golfers all won. LIV guys got paid a ton. The pga guys got increased purse plus less competition allowing for the established players to win more as well as allow newer players to emerge. It will be interesting to see how this whole thing shakes out.
Fairview20
AG
Hope Netflix happened to be doing some of the in home style interviews with players today. If not they better get the cameras rolling!
JP_Losman
AG
You hear that flushing sound? That is PGA flushing the LIV turd down the toilet.

They aired Dawson's Creek reruns instead of the LIV finish the other day on CW network
Harry Stone
AG
Phil is probably parked at the higher rollers room at the Bellagio as we speak.
98Ag99Grad
AG
JP_Losman said:

You hear that flushing sound? That is PGA flushing the LIV turd down the toilet.

They aired Dawson's Creek reruns instead of the LIV finish the other day on CW network

And?? By all accounts they just got the tour to agree to a merger with them controlling the investment money and their guy at the top of the board, Monahan second. great job negotiating by the turd I guess.
JCA1
AG
TresPuertas said:

LIV just pulled this off by having nothing more than a TV contract with the CW.

This needs to be studied and taught in all business schools and universities for a long time. This is really an incredible story

That'll be a short class. They have an endless pile of cash and leveraged it to become the principal financial backer of golf.

If you have a bottomless pit of money, you too can do something like this.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Will Greg Norman fire Monahan?
AggieDruggist89
AG
JP_Losman said:

JP_Losman
AG
PGAT has governance rights
Dimebag Darrell
AggieDruggist89
AG
JP_Losman said:

PGAT has governance rights

Backed by Greg Norman and Phil.
zgolfz85
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

As I've been saying, (1) the losers have been golf fans with two fractured tours and (2) two separate tours were not going to have a healthy separate existence in the US. LIV was not gonna get a foothold in the US. So here we predictably are, either merge or the newbie dies. As we've seen over and over again in American sports
we haven't lost out altogether. the drama has been fun to watch at least.
JCA1
AG
I get the desire by LIV fans to celebrate but the lack of discussion about what this means for actual golf by y'all is curious to say the least. Seems y'all like dunking on Chamblee more than actual golf.
aggiedent
AG
I've gotta say that the economic layout of the merger and the accent of a Saudi to the board, says anything but flushing the turd.

If LIV was really in that bad of shape, no way this merger happens. But it did. Think about that for a minute.
MarathonAg12
zgolfz85
AG
JP_Losman said:

I don't think the saudis care. hell, as calculated as they are, this could have all been by design without caring how popular or not the actual LIV tour was. This could have been a trojan horse all along.

Your PGA boner is showing PS
JCA1
AG
I'm guessing this is about right.

https://twitter.com/ByeongHunAn/status/1666090106447593474?cxt=HHwWhIDQ6****p8uAAAA
MarathonAg12
CatD11Ag
AG
Sheikh Mansour owns Manchester City football club. He has invested more than $3.5B in the club, won 6 of the last 7 Premier League titles, and club payroll exceeded $1B this past season (another championship).

If you think LIV was circling the drain I would counter with the idea that Middle East money is heavily invested in professional golf, the money will stay and grow, and this is a huge surrender by the PGA Tour because it knows it can't keep pace.

Side note - with this merger news, will # of required events by PGA pros change? Brooks is not going to play 20+ events per year. He is not going to show up at the John Deere Classic to tune up his game, nor will many other big name pros. I'll be curious to see how the players fare coming out of this new conglomerate.
PJYoung
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Great news for golf fans!
Amazing news.

Couldn't be more shocking.

I mean, how did they keep it a secret in this day and age?
Texaggie7nine
7nine
BayAg_14
Any guesses on the new name they will go with for the tour?
PJYoung
AG
Bizarro Jerry said:

This is going to piss off every single PGA Tour player that stuck around. This news changes everything for golf

Except they're all about to make a lot more money.
MarathonAg12
My dad has been working with Saudi Aramco for 10+ years now.

That Saudi money is funding a really nice retirement house in Boerne haha

But yes, Saudi is smart they make huge investments and love the western culture. They realize O&G has a life expectancy and making big investments everywhere.
Quinn
AG
This is a shocker. LIV had unlimited money and some great players, but a product that basically nobody was watching and didn't seem to be growing at all. I have to think that the PIF money is huge in this deal.

I'm glad to see all the best players presumably playing on the same tour again, but damn, Monahan screwed over the guys that stuck around for the PGA Tour. I would be absolutely livid if I was Rory right now. How in the world can Rory, Rahm, Scheffler, etc play on a tour led by him anymore (assuming they weren't in on this, which it sounds like they weren't)? I know the release said that Monahan would be the Commish for this new entity, but they have to call for his resignation, right?
BayAg_14
Succession peeps will get it.

MarathonAg12
Rory can team up with China to form a new league
Buford T. Justice
AG
I am shocked, confused and very interested to learn as to why this took place. I do not understand. This does not compute.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
htxag09
AG
JCA1 said:

I get the desire by LIV fans to celebrate but the lack of discussion about what this means for actual golf by y'all is curious to say the least. Seems y'all like dunking on Chamblee more than actual golf.

I feel like I'm the only one confused what this actually means for the future of golf…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.