LIV and PGA Tour Merging

44,238 Views | 705 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Big Cat `93
zgolfz85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MarathonAg12 said:


the "you" in this case would be our kids
MarathonAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I get what you are saying but have some empathy to those who were impacted by 9/11. Your get over it stance is awful.

Imagine your dad dying at one of the towers and 22 years later some rich golfer tells you to get over it and forgive the Saudis. For whose benefit?

And I have buried enough buddies who served proudly during GWOT to know that our military has done good things overseas.
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This right here. Good grief, how about a little grace for people that suffered a loss that no apology will ever cover. GTFO with that truth hurts garbage. They owe forgiveness to no one. They owe a path to forgiveness to no one.
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My point is you're reacting to a false statement. He didn't tell the families to get over it. The article did him dirty. Based on what he said my response is the truth hurts.

I understand the devastation of families affected by 9/11. I don't think I've ever been more emotionally moved than I was during the 4 hours I spent at the 9/11 memorial and museum without saying a single word to anybody the entire time I was there. It was astoundingly powerful.

I have friends who have served and gone through it all as well. Maybe my initial reaction seemed harsh but my point is simply that we can't make all decisions now based on the actions of others more than 2 decades ago. If we did then we'd never have rebuilt japan or western Germany. At some point we all have to move on. And Saudi Arabia should be given the chance to as well.

And again, Bryson didn't say what you and the article claimed. Seems the headlines did the trick.
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Grow the game" also continues to be the most hilarious aspect of all of this for either side. Wallets guys, that's what you are growing. It's okay to admit it. This isn't growing the game. We can stop pretending.
Mateo84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not a big Bryson fan, and I'm no LIV fan either, but as a golfer getting tough questions on CNN, I thought he gave pretty darn good answers.
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DannyDuberstein said:

"Grow the game" also continues to be the most hilarious aspect of all of this for either side. Wallets guys, that's what you are growing. It's okay to admit it. This isn't growing the game. We can stop pretending.


Agree completely. When Chesson Hadley asks how he's going to be made right for being loyal, even if tongue in cheek, everyone knows what it's all about.

Credit for 369 for basically spelling that out to us for the last 2 years. It's all about the money.
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The only reason the 9/11 stuff became a big deal re LIV is because the PGAT used them for leverage to protect their own business interests.
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bagger05 said:

The only reason the 9/11 stuff became a big deal re LIV is because the PGAT used them for leverage to protect their own business interests.


Correct. Thanks to their big wig DC PR Firm. They draped themselves in the American flag for convenience and an angle of to drive down LIV. Nothing more than that. But we can't criticize that.
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who says it can't be criticized? Everyone is criticizing it. That's the risk they took and now they pay for it with major egg on face.
MarathonAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DannyDuberstein said:

This right here. Good grief, how about a little grace for people that suffered a loss that no apology will ever cover. GTFO with that truth hurts garbage. They owe forgiveness to no one. They owe a path to forgiveness to no one.


Yah. I'm going to tap myself out of this argument. When I have seen buddies who i served along side with getting their flags presented to their 5 and 7 year old daughters I get emotional.

We all joined up for the same reason after seeing 9/11
CyclingAg82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Not sure how to link the tweet but apparently at the player meeting the other day Grayson Murray yelled at Jay to resign and then Rory yelled back at Grayson to "play better". Rory is a complete *****.
I am sick of McIroy, and the "martyr" role he is playing to.

His arrogance is off-putting.
RogerFurlong
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I didn't take it as him telling the families to forgive them. Misleading headline for sure. Be mad at the government for not invading Saudi Arabia not a golfer.
JCA1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Supposedly the details of the deal as relayed by its architect, Jimmy Dunne. According to this, Monahan will be in charge of both the PGAT and LIV and can disband LIV if he so chooses. Also makes it sound like not much is really happening at present. The deal is primarily forward looking, with the PIF being the Tour's exclusive investor going forward. Who knows.

https://www.si.com/golf/news/jimmy-dunne-the-architect-of-the-pga-tour-liv-golf-deal-lays-out-the-details
Quinn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RogerFurlong said:

I didn't take it as him telling the families to forgive them. Misleading headline for sure. Be mad at the government for not invading Saudi Arabia not a golfer.


I listened to the full interview and he was definitely telling them that they should forgive.
AggieDruggist89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CyclingAg82 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Not sure how to link the tweet but apparently at the player meeting the other day Grayson Murray yelled at Jay to resign and then Rory yelled back at Grayson to "play better". Rory is a complete *****.
I am sick of McIroy, and the "martyr" role he is playing to.

His arrogance is off-putting.
Never liked him.

Got worse when he badmouthed Trump.

Now wish he'd just STFU.
BreNayPop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This will be interesting to watch unfold. If the article JCA posted is true, the PGA will have their revenge. But the LIV guys seem to believe they "won" for now. Devil is in the details. If I was a LIV player, got sold out and had to pay my way back into the tour after this- I'd be pretty salty. Really rich still, but salty.
Aggie369
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is correct

This info is coming from the players
Aggie369
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is the correct take as well

Well, it's accurate as of now
Aggie369
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You will see more and more of him....

Hes going to be leading the committee that decides how each LIV guy can come back on tour on a case by case basis
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aggie369 said:

You will see more and more of him....

Hes going to be leading the committee that decides how each LIV guy can come back on tour on a case by case basis

If that fully turns out to be the case and Jay truly has full authority with no checks, then I guess it's probably a good thing for Koepka that he avoided the sniping and stayed friendly with Tour guys + Jay on the side.

I'd have to imagine there will be some limits to the retribution authority because giving major varying degrees of penalties based off personal bias or dislike is absolutely not what the game of golf needs as it reunites.
AggieDruggist89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie369 said:

You will see more and more of him....

Hes going to be leading the committee that decides how each LIV guy can come back on tour on a case by case basis
I doubt that.

It will be driven by Yasir and how he sees it fit. Sure Rory can pretend to be.... but he's nothing more than a puppet at this point, as is Monahan. Rory aint deciding nothing..
JCA1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie369 said:

You will see more and more of him....

Hes going to be leading the committee that decides how each LIV guy can come back on tour on a case by case basis
Just a thought I had. Jay mentioned they would explore team golf, but didn't mention LIV. Didn't Tiger and Rory just start a team golf enterprise? Could the new entity buy up Tiger and Rory's concept as a way to pursue a team golf concept while also giving them a way to compensate Tiger and Rory for their loyalty?
2wealfth Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JCA1 said:

Aggie369 said:

You will see more and more of him....

Hes going to be leading the committee that decides how each LIV guy can come back on tour on a case by case basis
Just had a thought I had. Jay mentioned they would explore team golf, but didn't mention LIV. Didn't Tiger and Rory just start a team golf enterprise? Could the new entity buy up Tiger and Rory's concept as a way to pursue a team golf concept while also giving them a way to compensate Tiger and Rory for their loyalty?
there are some really interesting team combos out there if they get creative: the irish guys, a Lone Star State team, University of Florida and OSU guys; guys you love to hate (Phil, Koepka, Bryson, Reed), plus many other combos I am not even dreaming of.
JCA1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2wealfth Man said:

JCA1 said:

Aggie369 said:

You will see more and more of him....

Hes going to be leading the committee that decides how each LIV guy can come back on tour on a case by case basis
Just had a thought I had. Jay mentioned they would explore team golf, but didn't mention LIV. Didn't Tiger and Rory just start a team golf enterprise? Could the new entity buy up Tiger and Rory's concept as a way to pursue a team golf concept while also giving them a way to compensate Tiger and Rory for their loyalty?
there are some really interesting team combos out there if they get creative: the irish guys, a Lone Star State team, University of Florida and OSU guys; guys you love to hate (Phil, Koepka, Bryson, Reed), plus many other combos I am not even dreaming of.


Announced the Los Angeles golf club yesterday. Sounds like they are going to follow the typical sports framework and base them around cities.
98Ag99Grad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Owned by Venus and Serena Williams.
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2wealfth Man said:

JCA1 said:

Aggie369 said:

You will see more and more of him....

Hes going to be leading the committee that decides how each LIV guy can come back on tour on a case by case basis
Just had a thought I had. Jay mentioned they would explore team golf, but didn't mention LIV. Didn't Tiger and Rory just start a team golf enterprise? Could the new entity buy up Tiger and Rory's concept as a way to pursue a team golf concept while also giving them a way to compensate Tiger and Rory for their loyalty?
there are some really interesting team combos out there if they get creative: the irish guys, a Lone Star State team, University of Florida and OSU guys; guys you love to hate (Phil, Koepka, Bryson, Reed), plus many other combos I am not even dreaming of.

It needs to be by manufacturer to have a chance IMO.

I can't think of any other way besides home region/college that makes sense to draw any interest.
MarathonAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jack Ruby
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Am I the only one reading these comments in a British accent?
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think something like this makes a lot of sense:

Quote:

This year, for example, the Tour is doling out $100 million to its most popular players via its Player Impact Program. Suppose Monahan tells LIV players they can return, but they have to pay a fine and will be ineligible for the PIP for the next 10 years. That would ensure that over the next decade, $1 billion (or more) will go only to players who stayed.
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PJYoung said:

I think something like this makes a lot of sense:

Quote:

This year, for example, the Tour is doling out $100 million to its most popular players via its Player Impact Program. Suppose Monahan tells LIV players they can return, but they have to pay a fine and will be ineligible for the PIP for the next 10 years. That would ensure that over the next decade, $1 billion (or more) will go only to players who stayed.



Agree.
Keeper of The Spirits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Some of y'all really want the PGA to get some retribution that they deserve none of, These guys are coming back and they arent going to pay anything significant
RogerFurlong
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Exactly. If you leave a company for a competitor and then the competitor comes in and buys your old company why would they punish you in the merge. Pay the guys who were loyal to the old company instead of the new one. Makes no sense. They're just trying to stay on the moral high ground when there is none anymore.
AgLA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PJYoung said:

I think something like this makes a lot of sense:

Quote:

This year, for example, the Tour is doling out $100 million to its most popular players via its Player Impact Program. Suppose Monahan tells LIV players they can return, but they have to pay a fine and will be ineligible for the PIP for the next 10 years. That would ensure that over the next decade, $1 billion (or more) will go only to players who stayed.



Some people are going to lose their minds when they finally realize the funding makes the decisions. This apoears to be no different than an other PE funding organization having sole capital control.
98Ag99Grad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PIP is probably going away. The whole thing about this being a private company now is the players can have equity. That's how guys like Rory, Tiger, etc will be taken care of.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.