LIV and PGA Tour Merging

42,421 Views | 705 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Big Cat `93
Aggie369
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes they will need to be paid
MW03
AG
Ag_07 said:

It's gonna be interesting to see how they handle the schedule and format for tournaments of this new entity.

The big draw for some of these LIV guys was less tourneys and less rounds. How will that fit with the PGA?

Reading the press release, it looks like the PGA, LIV, and DP World Tours (formerly known under the far superior moniker "The European Tour") will still continue to operate independently with different schedules and sanctioning dependent on what each tour wants. I don't read this as "LIV no longer exists" so much as the PGA has now legitimized LIV and is in business with them. I expect you'll see cross over events, like maybe a new Ryder Cup that is LIV vs. PGAT. Otherwise, players won't be banned from any events because of their involvement on the other tour. I bet this opens up LIV players to the world rankings, too.
milner79
BayAg_14 said:

Any guesses on the new name they will go with for the tour?
My vote: LIVPGA+
Aggie369
AG
The new tour is for profit, saudi is gonna invest into it per the agreement. The pga tour members will have 50ish percent ownership. Likely be a cash payout to all the players on tour from that investment. The liv guys that want back on tour will have to pay a fine to rejoin?
Top guys will end up with about same money?

Not sure... this will be fun to watch unfold

And as always... this isn't done yet I don't think. Let's see what happens
JCA1
AG
Aggie369 said:

The PGA wasn't paying out of their own pocket though

Sure. But as I understand it, it is responsible for cobbling together those funds. My guess is that's not easy and it probably took a lot of arm twisting to put together the purses, with no guarantee that they would be there in future years. This, most likely, guarantees huge purses for the foreseeable future. That's how Monahan will likely try and sell it to the players. "I just got you guaranteed enormous purses for the duration of your career."
Aggie369
AG
That sounds like best case scenario to me...for everyone. Including fans

Don't think Saudi agrees to that though
Aggie369
AG
Yes...rotating elevated events wasn't great for sponsors
JCA1
AG
Aggie369 said:

That sounds like best case scenario to me...for everyone. Including fans

While there's still a lot of details to be filled in, I agree that this should be good for fans. As that's what I am, that has always been my primary focus.

Hopefully, next year we'll have PGA designated events with Brooks, Cam and DJ.
Kozmozag
Monahan is getting paid, but he won't finish the year. Liv players hate him, and now the PGA loyalist hate.
Him.
JCA1
AG
Apparently, Norman may be on the outs. Reportedly only made aware of this minutes before it was announced. That doesn't sound like a guy who's going to be a part of this going forward, but who knows.

2wealfth Man
AG
So they are taking Saudi Money...
Baby Billy
AG
It's still hard to imagine a scenario where there are two separate tours hosting separate events in the United States. To me it seems like:

-Fewer PGA Tour elevated events, but now opened up to qualifying LIV players

-An establishment of several premier LIV events around the world, now co-sanctioned and opened up to qualifying PGA Tour players.

-A brand new system for world rankings.

Picture LIV events becoming the new WGC. Something like that.
bdgol07
AG
I wonder if this is why Phil has been so vocal on Twitter recently
Funky Winkerbean
AG
And all of the sponsors of the PGA just lost a big charitable write off..
class of 03
Phil potentially stands to make less money, right? Unless they are going to pay him his full guarantee even though the league switched gears early in year two.
aggiedent
AG
And the head of the D P World Tour is being interviewed on the Golf Channel and had the balls to say, "it has never been about politics for us."

What a two faced idiot…..
JCA1
AG
Bizarro Jerry said:

It's still hard to imagine a scenario where there are two separate tours hosting separate events in the United States. To me it seems like:

-Fewer PGA Tour elevated events, but now opened up to qualifying LIV players

-An establishment of several premier LIV events around the world, now co-sanctioned and opened up to qualifying PGA Tour players.

-A brand new system for world rankings.

Picture LIV events becoming the new WGC. Something like that.

Speculation on PGA XM radio that LIV may be played primarily in the fall. Basically would have the PGA fall series for people trying to secure their cards and small field LIV events for the top players. That's a lot of golf for the top guys though.

Interestingly, there was also a comment about players being allowed back on tour but nothing about players going in the other direction. Not sure how this is all gonna work out.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Aggie369 said:

Text from my buddy just now...

Let's see how current PGA players react... they could blow this up
Won't they need to approve this?

It's supposed to be a "Player Owned" organization - will the Player Advisory Committee get a chance to weigh in and in and the "Board" vote according to the players' wishes?
JCA1
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

Not sure that's right. Looks like the new organization will sit on top of the tours. I suspect the Tour will try to keep its charitable status.
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung said:

Buford T. Justice said:

I am shocked, confused and very interested to learn as to why this took place. I do not understand. This does not compute.
Because the PGA Tour didn't want the lawsuit discovery jeopardizing their tax-exempt status.
And why would LIV want this? Because maybe they didn't see profitability anywhere on the horizon and they don't love throwing untold billions away needlessly.
2wealfth Man
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

sounds like Greg Sankey

seriously, have to wonder what kind of geopolitics is going here; this is much bigger then Monahan
Funky Winkerbean
AG
JCA1 said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

Not sure that's right. Looks like the new organization will sit on top of the tours. I suspect the Tour will try to keep its charitable status.

They won't be able to sponsor anything. Didn't someone post that there's only one sponsor now?
Baby Billy
AG
JCA1 said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

It says in the press release the tour will maintain its 501c3 status.
PJYoung
AG

MarathonAg12
Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

Bizarro Jerry said:

This is going to piss off every single PGA Tour player that stuck around. This news changes everything for golf
Their loyalty is rewarded with being absolutely stabbed in the back.

For the first time in years I sort of feel bad for Rory and Tiger.
Stabbed in the back?

Its business. The guys are millionaires.

I would not wast your energy feeling sorry for them.
JCA1
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

JCA1 said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

They won't be able to sponsor anything. Didn't someone post that there's only one sponsor now?
I'm not sure anyone really knows how this is going to work out. But I'm sure there are armies of lawyers and accountants doing their best to make sure this is organized in a way to maximize tax advantages, partnership advantages (such as sponsors, etc.). We'll see.

And being the primary investor of this umbrella organization sounds different from being, say, the sponsor of the ATT Pro-Am.
MarathonAg12
2wealfth Man said:

America is deeply in bed with Saudi. Nothing new here.

PGA Tour had this moral high ground and 9/11 stance this whole time......then they were like "Screw it"

hypocrites
PJYoung
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Nm
2wealfth Man
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

2wealfth Man said:

America is deeply in bed with Saudi. Nothing new here.

PGA Tour had this moral high ground and 9/11 stance this whole time......then they were like "Screw it"

hypocrites
Blinken is in Saudi right now; this announcement timing is not just coincidental. I am sure the Saudis got some assurances the PGA Tour's tax-exempt status would be honored. There is war in Ukraine and China is threatening Taiwan; lots of political overtones here that are way above anything to do with golf or moral high-grounds.
rak1693
AG
Dumb tweet. The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) is a US ally and we provide them with tons of military support. Regardless of what happened then, they are now an ally.
MarathonAg12
Yep. My parents live over there.

And my unit just got back from a mission there.

I was in Egypt for a year as well, they have come up numerous times on the human rights violations list, but we give them 1.3 billion dollars a year in military' aid.

Lot of people know nothing about strategic influence in the region and how it strengthens our national defense.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Well, 15 hijackers were Saudi, so there is that. Try not to overanalyze a joke

That said, i never cared about the saudi angle. Just the two-tours-sucks-for-fans angle
Chipotlemonger
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

That said, i never cared about the saudi angle. Just the two-tours-sucks-for-fans angle
Yep this has been my main beef with the whole situation up until now. Glad all the best players will be together again!
2wealfth Man
AG
Chamblee on Golf now

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.