LIV and PGA Tour Merging

45,408 Views | 705 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Big Cat `93
Aggie369
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah this was already happening and people were expecting it to happen with "merger" as well
98Ag99Grad
AG
Especially since Monahan said on CNBC they were eliminating a competitor with this move. Not exactly the best thing to say when this comes out.
JCA1
AG
Buck Compton said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

Uh oh. DOJ to investigate merger for antitrust violation?
DOJ needs to sit down and shut up. God, I hate the government.

How could this possibly be any different than the NFL or any other league? Why was the PGA not investigated for Anti-trust before the split? We're essentially just returning to exactly how it was.
I believe the NFL (and most other sports) have anti-trust exemptions that the PGAT doesn't have (but don't quote me on that).

People more knowledgeable than me seem to think this is a concern. But I also have to think the guys that put this together have a plan for that. There's also the geopolitical angle as well.

The one thought I have is, if the Tour had simply taken on investors three years ago (whether PIF or otherwise), I can't imagine that would have triggered a DOJ anti-trust investigation. Although it's been a crazy route to get there, isn't that all that's really happening here?
bagger05
AG
Come on, everybody. The PGAT is a charity, right? They should get a pass.
MarathonAg12
Same

Getting really tired of the NIL DOJ stuff and now this LIV merger stuff
Big Cat `93
AG
The usual suspects in the Senate (led by Elizabeth Warren) have their fingerprints on this. They oppose basically every merger like it's some kind of reflex action.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.