LIV and PGA Tour Merging

43,027 Views | 705 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Big Cat `93
bthotugigem05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The PIF will now be a premier sponsor of the PGA
CatD11Ag
AG
Pretty much already has.

MW03
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

The PIF will now be a premier sponsor of the PGA

The PIF may very well be the exclusive sponsor of the PGA.
David_Puddy
AG
JCA1 said:

I get the desire by LIV fans to celebrate but the lack of discussion about what this means for actual golf by y'all is curious to say the least. Seems y'all like dunking on Chamblee more than actual golf.

Wait....there are actually "LIV fans?" I'm a golf fan and I was tired of watching all of these watered down tournaments lacking top tier star power outside of a few big ones and of course the majors. I haven't watched one second of any LIV tourney. I'm just glad to see all of the top guys battling again in non majors and I also think d-bags like Chamblee have their foot firmly in their mouths right now. If anyone doesn't think this is good for golf having everyone playing together again, they're crazy.
979ag
AG
1) Glad this means we get the young, fun players back in the regular tour events (Cam Smith)

2) I wonder what this means for the guys who are on LIV, that are bottom of the barrell players, and weren't going to be regulars on the PGA tour (Chase Koepka)
MW03
AG

bagger05
AG
I think LIV must've had the PGAT by the balls. I just don't see any real win in this arrangement for the PGAT.

Very interested to see what shakes out. I think whatever does will be very good for golf fans.

Also curious to see what survives from LIV. The team stuff and shotgun start all seemed dumb. Wonder what will be deemed worth keeping...
PJYoung
AG
JP_Losman
AG
PGAT is using those dollars so Saudi can't use it on terrorism.

Think about it
bagger05
AG
MW03 said:

Monahan has come across like a huge tool in this entire saga IMO.

Cynical take:

Saudis: Okay Jay, you just do whatever we say and in exchange we will give you an extra $7.5MM per year and not tell anyone about all the collusion and shady stuff you did to try to block LIV (and we will not have your family kidnapped and murdered).
PJYoung
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

I am shocked, confused and very interested to learn as to why this took place. I do not understand. This does not compute.
Because the PGA Tour didn't want the lawsuit discovery jeopardizing their tax-exempt status.
EKUAg
AG
PJYoung said:

She'll really have a fit when the LPGA starts working with them.
98Ag99Grad
AG
JP_Losman said:

PGAT is using those dollars so Saudi can't use it on terrorism.

Think about it
gotta troll better than this...
AggieDruggist89
AG
When jack told Rory we should talk, don't think it was about Rory's game

JCA1
AG
bagger05 said:

I think LIV must've had the PGAT by the balls. I just don't see any real win in this arrangement for the PGAT.

Very interested to see what shakes out. I think whatever does will be very good for golf fans.

Also curious to see what survives from LIV. The team stuff and shotgun start all seemed dumb. Wonder what will be deemed worth keeping...

There is speculation that the tour was in financial stress after having to up purses to keep up with liv, especially after coming off the Covid years' reduced revenue.

The PIF essentially said "our billions can be used to support you or against you, what do you want to do?" That may be what ultimately led to this merger.
Ag_07
AG
It's gonna be interesting to see how they handle the schedule and format for tournaments of this new entity.

The big draw for some of these LIV guys was less tourneys and less rounds. How will that fit with the PGA?
Unemployed
AG
PGAT capitulated. They tried to paint the Saudis as bad people with all their human rights violations but found out most fans don't really give a sht about that.

They efffed around and found out - you can't win against those that got money to burn.

The best thing that can happen now from this is if Chamblee goes away and we don't hear from him again.
98Ag99Grad
AG
JCA1 said:

bagger05 said:

There is speculation that the tour was in financial stress after having to up purses to keep up with liv, especially after coming off the Covid years' reduced revenue.

The PIF essentially said "our billions can be used to support you or against you, what do you want to do?" That may be what ultimately led to this merger.

I think that's a logical take. And for as much money as PIF has, they still want to see a return on the investment and weren't getting it with the current model. If they could have secured a better TV deal then we might not see this today.
Quinn
AG
JCA1 said:

bagger05 said:

This is the only logical reason for the merger.
98Ag99Grad
AG
can't wait for the NLU podcast discussing this.
JCA1
AG
RealTalk said:

PGAT capitulated. They tried to paint the Saudis as bad people with all their human rights violations but found out most fans don't really give a sht about that.

They efffed around and found out - you can't win against those that got money to burn.

The best thing that can happen now from this is if Chamblee goes away and we don't hear from him again.

The PGA played the cards they had, as did LIV (harping on independent contractor then having even more onerous contract terms, telling players they were getting OWGR points when they weren't, etc.). That's business.

Not sure your point about fans not caring. No one was watching liv.

But you're right about the PIF's endless supply of money and that's what ultimately led to this.
JCA1
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

JCA1 said:

bagger05 said:

I think that's a logical take. And for as much money as PIF has, they still want to see a return on the investment and weren't getting it with the current model. If they could have secured a better TV deal then we might not see this today.

Agreed.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
This is pretty wild.

Glad to see the DP tour merging too though. Hopefully that creates some more crossover events.
Aggie369
AG
Lol
This is interesting to wake up to

I'm out on vacation but I'll ask around when I get back.... doesn't sound like most of the players knew much though.
Mr.Bond
AG

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Harry Stone
AG
JCA1 said:

I get the desire by LIV fans to celebrate but the lack of discussion about what this means for actual golf by y'all is curious to say the least. Seems y'all like dunking on Chamblee more than actual golf.

i like dunking on him now. we'll talk about what this actually means tomorrow.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Bizarro Jerry said:

This is going to piss off every single PGA Tour player that stuck around. This news changes everything for golf
Their loyalty is rewarded with being absolutely stabbed in the back.

For the first time in years I sort of feel bad for Rory and Tiger.
Aggie369
AG
Text from my buddy just now...

Let's see how current PGA players react... they could blow this up
TresPuertas
AG
you clearly didn't watch Full Swing. Rorys treatment of this whole situation turned me from a huge fan to considering him a massive dick bag.
JCA1
AG
Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

Bizarro Jerry said:

This is going to piss off every single PGA Tour player that stuck around. This news changes everything for golf
Their loyalty is rewarded with being absolutely stabbed in the back.

For the first time in years I sort of feel bad for Rory and Tiger.

My guess is Monaghan is gonna have to open the books and prove to the players that the Tour was hemorrhaging money trying to keep up with LIV and if they liked those $20 million purses, this was the only way to keep them coming.

I suspect there is still gonna be a lot of hurt feelings though.
Bad Poster
RealTalk said:

Paint? Ugh no, they actually are bad people dude
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Waiting to see Tiger weigh in..
Aggie369
AG
The PGA wasn't paying out of their own pocket though
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
TresPuertas said:

you clearly didn't watch Full Swing. Rorys treatment of this whole situation turned me from a huge fan to considering him a massive dick bag.
I did watch it. And he was a dick bag, but he was trying to be loyal and got absolutely shafted.

I didn't feel THAT bad, but sucks to suck I guess.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.