***** The Masters *****

65,273 Views | 1069 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by David_Puddy
ORAggieFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cclearman said:

Still cant believe he won when he was unplayable past the hazard on 13 when down 2...
Not to mention they showed the back nine stats for Rose and Sergio at the Masters. Sergio was something like +30 over 62 rounds and Rose -11 over 40 rounds. I saw that stat around 10 or 11 and figured it was going to be a Rose runaway.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The last 7-8 holes had such a match play feel to it. So many examples of match play where even as dire or as great as things may look mid-hole, things can change drastically before the ball ultimately falls into the cup. Sergio's recovery on 13 while Rose wasn't able to convert birdie after 2 good shots was a perfect example. But even the playoff hole could have gone another way. Rose hits a lousy drive with a lousy punch to follow, but in the end, he had a very makeable par putt which was the same exact he just had 15 minutes earlier. If that goes in, there is a whole different feel to that birdie attempt Sergio had left (which was not an easy putt by any means even though he made it).
Poot
I totally agree that it had a match play feel to it.

I'd add 16 to the list of your examples...

Coming off an incredible eagle, Sergio stuffs one. Then Rose sticks one on top of him. Then the old match play addage "first in wins" came true.

It was incredible to watch the momentum shift back and forth so dramatically.
birdman
The back and forth match play feel was fantastic. The shame of this Masters was the Spieth and Fowler pairing. They eliminated themselves before the back nine even started. Having another contender or two in different groups would have made a great tournament even better.

That's one of the cool things about the Masters. As Garcia is lining up a birdie putt, a huge roar from up the fairway. Puts some pressure on him and adds to excitement for television audience. Love seeing a guy back away from a putt because of noise from other side of course.

Schwartzel and Kuchar had great rounds but they came late and were too far back.
CapCityAg89
AG
birdman said:

The back and forth match play feel was fantastic. The shame of this Masters was the Spieth and Fowler pairing. They eliminated themselves before the back nine even started. Having another contender or two in different groups would have made a great tournament even better.

That's one of the cool things about the Masters. As Garcia is lining up a birdie putt, a huge roar from up the fairway. Puts some pressure on him and adds to excitement for television audience. Love seeing a guy back away from a putt because of noise from other side of course.

Schwartzel and Kuchar had great rounds but they came late and were too far back.

I agree with this completely and am shocked they played so poorly. I said before the round that I expected the two pairings to light it up just because they were so friendly with each other. Having all four playing like Rose and Garcia would've made this top 5 for the tournament. Duels are awesome.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
NSIAP

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/the-ride-of-my-life-magnolia-memories-and-a-walk-around-augusta-national/

DuckDown2013
AG
awesome read.
Post removed:
by user
birdman
Maybe this was mentioned in this thread or on the broadcast. If so, I missed it. Sergio Garcia's fiancee is Drew Brees first cousin.
DuckDown2013
AG
For those interested:
I had previously mentioned that my family had a scorecard from Augusta when my Great Grandfather had played it(who was a professional from St. Matthews, SC). He got rained out after hole 10 and was +6 through 10. Pretty impressive, especially since he only had ONE arm! We also have his 2nd place trophy from the Professional Amputee Golf Championship. Thankfully, I was able to meet my great grandfather as a kid and have some memories with him. He was also the county sheriff. My dad does not know the date that he played Augusta, but he thinks is was in the 1950's.

And here is a picture of my brother(left) and I(right) standing in front of a picture of him at his former country club in SC before heading to the 2016 Masters.

A cool little par 3 tee shot at his club (Calhoun County Country Club). I 3-putted for bogey. >:I

TyHolden
AG
For those that have been to several majors, how does the masters compare to them? How would you rank them? I've only been to one and considering another. Not a humble brag or anything. Just curious.
DuckDown2013
AG
I haven't been to any majors outside of the Masters, but it is my understanding that there is NOTHING that compares to the Masters from a spectator/patron standpoint in golf.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The only other major I've attended was a US Open at Shinnecock Hills back in 2004. I just don't think anything compares to the Masters, mostly due to all of the factors that Augusta National brings.

The US Open didn't feel all that different from a regular tournament to me. It obviously had a great field and had the buzz of being a major. But I've attended other tournaments with great fields (the Byron Nelson consistently drew fantastic fields when he was alive and making personal invitations to great players to come). Not to say it was the same as the Nelson or other PGA events I've attended, because it wasn't. But on the scale of the full patron experience at a golf tournament, I thought the US Open was closer to a regular tournament than it was to the Masters.

There's just no beating the layout, personality, condition, and how well run the Masters is. The others still felt like a golf tournament. The Masters felt like a golf pilgrimage. And every good thing I'd ever heard about it beforehand surfaced in my experience there.
aginlakeway
AG
DSAg44 said:

For those that have been to several majors, how does the masters compare to them? How would you rank them? I've only been to one and considering another. Not a humble brag or anything. Just curious.
The Masters is on a WHOLE different level, as far as the course, organization, decorum of gallery, parking, prices, etc.

I covered golf for newspapers and works at TGC for years "in a previous life" ... so I have been to them all a few times.
The Milkman
AG
DuckDown2013 said:

I haven't been to any majors outside of the Masters, but it is my understanding that there is NOTHING that compares to the Masters from a spectator/patron standpoint in golf.
I went to the US Open Sundayround at Merion in 2013, and I have to say I definitely felt like it was a special event. There was a definite excitement in the crowd and it felt like a much bigger and better experience than a regular PGA tour event.

Part of that could have been the fact that it was full of Philly fans and they get boozed up and excited for everything, but I loved it. The Masters is obviously the top tier and defines first class, but the US Open is worth going to. It isnt the same pristine historic event, but in my mind is every bit as fun.
David_Puddy
AG
DuckDown2013 said:

For those interested:
I had previously mentioned that my family had a scorecard from Augusta when my Great Grandfather had played it(who was a professional from St. Matthews, SC). He got rained out after hole 10 and was +6 through 10. Pretty impressive, especially since he only had ONE arm! We also have his 2nd place trophy from the Professional Amputee Golf Championship. Thankfully, I was able to meet my great grandfather as a kid and have some memories with him. He was also the county sheriff. My dad does not know the date that he played Augusta, but he thinks is was in the 1950's.

And here is a picture of my brother(left) and I(right) standing in front of a picture of him at his former country club in SC before heading to the 2016 Masters.

A cool little par 3 tee shot at his club (Calhoun County Country Club). I 3-putted for bogey. >:I

Surprised that nobody has called you out for playing in your loafers yet.
Icecream_Ag
S
David_Puddy said:

DuckDown2013 said:

For those interested:

he admitted to 3 jacking for bogey on the hole. Thats just adding insult to injury.
thirty-two
AG
David_Puddy said:

DuckDown2013 said:

For those interested:

He's SEC-ready playing golf in those loafers.
DuckDown2013
AG
Haha.
The reason I was in loafers was because we weren't planning on playing the course, merely just seeing it and maybe driving it. - and then after talking to the head pro and him having fond memories of my great grandfather, he let us borrow his set to play the course.
Phat32
AG
DuckDown2013 said:

nm
David_Puddy

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.