Business & Investing
Sponsored by

TSLA

157,757 Views | 1162 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bmks270
bmks270
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Potential recall on the way.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/feds-asks-tesla-recall-158-000308276.html

U.S. safety regulators have asked Tesla to recall 158,000 vehicles over media control unit failures that cause the touchscreen displays to stop working, following a months-long investigation by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The Office of Defects Investigation unit of the agency determined that the failure of the media control unit is a safety issue since functions like the backup camera and defogging and defrosting setting controls stop working as well as audible chimes, which are used when the turn signal indicator is activated and to alert drivers while the vehicle's Autopilot advanced driver assistance system is engaged. Reports of the MCUs suddenly failing have been a topic for years in Tesla forums.

The failure is caused when the memory storage in a flash drive used in the used in these vehicles reaches capacity, investigators concluded. The only solution is to replace the physical piece of hardware. Vehicles affected include Model S sedans built between 2012 and 2018 as well as Model X SUVs in 2016 through 2018.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Just saw this. That's 10% of every vehicle they've produced through 2020.
evan_aggie
AG
Medaggie said:

Apple and Samsung sells about the same amount of phones in the US but apple valuation is 7-8x more.

Tesla valuation has very little to do with numbers of car sold. It is their ecosystem, future revenue stream, autonomy, solar, etc. Vwag is essentially a car company.

If Tesla is valued like other car companies, I would buy the car but not the stock. That is why tesla is 4x market cap over Toyota. To make it just a car company, they would have to sell somewhere 4x the amount of toyotas which very would could never happen.

It doesn't make sense though. All of the other markets or battery ventures Tesla is in make almost no money. Their only "profit" is really from energy credit trading. And, most other massive companies are investing in battery technologies vs licensing.

The price of a stock was, at some point, supposed to be based on current and future earnings and profit, but you mention other "things" no car related. So...they are going to do what? Make the world dependent on their power plants? Offer the only battery that has great performance and cost? Have the only autonomous driving software and hardware?

Tesla was first in many ways, but everyone else is catching up
bmks270
AG
AggiEE
Medaggie said:

I finally jumped into Tsla Stock after thinking about 2 yrs ago when they were around $100 presplit or $20 currently. What pushed me into buying their stock was when I bought my first Tesla.

Everything everyone says about the QC/fit/finish is correct. My car definitely has gap issues and other QC issues. Didn't notice any big paint issues but I am sure if I took it under bright lights I would. But to 99% of the people who looks at my car, they would not see any paint/gap issues.

I will tell you that when I drove my tesla(I would speculate the majority of people), it was by far the best/handling car compared to my two previous BMWs. It is not even comparable for essentially the same price. I will never go back to an ICE car again for my daily driving.

Tesla is like the Iphone. Initially people doubted the iphone compared to the flip phone. Everyone thought they were over valued. They couldn't figure out how they could make $$$ to justify valuation. Apple obviously is not valued just b/c it makes computers or iphones. It is valued b/c of the other tentacles they have and the ecosystem they have created. Tesla is no different. Once I got an Iphone, I never left. Same with Tesla. I see my Tesla as much as a tech device as a car.

Also, I am riding Tesla in the long term. It has nothing to do with them making a better care. Their value has nothing to do with this. It is the Tentacles that they are starting to develop. Just like Apple, People can try to copy the Iphone and even make a better phone, but they just do not have Apple's Ecosystem. Tesla's Supercharging network alone creates an ecosystem barrier that most other EV makers will never get over. The value of their growing supercharger network is underestimated.

Tesla is def a tech company. Just their mountain of driving data and tech derived from this is invaluable. People may try to copy full autonomous driving but they do not have the real life data Tesla has.

If they achieve Full self driving/Robotaxi, the profit will be astronomical. Other car makers and the airlines will be decimated. Oil companies will be decimated. They will essentially be destroying a large swath of the biggest industries today.

If they achieve low cost, efficient batteries/solar, there will be alof of large industries disappear.

Just as Amaz disrupted B&M, Appl disrupting Media/entertainment/telecom. Tesla potentially could disrupt many major industries.

While I don't own a Tesla, I have family members that own multiple Teslas. First time I drove one was in 2015. Great car. At that point I knew EVs would be the future, but at the end of the day I wasn't blown away enough to run out and buy one. It's still a car. It still gets you from point A to point B, it just does so in a smoother and slicker fashion. It's far less functionally transformative as compared to what the iPhone did when it first came out. EVs will thrive because they are able to drive costs down and be eco friendly at the same time, not because they are materially making your life better in a way you never experienced before.

But I completely disagree with you that Tesla's are iPhones. They are not.

1. iPhones cost $1k or less (generally), and are upgraded every few years with high margins. Cars cost $30K, upgraded less frequently, with razor thin margins.

2. iPhones have a lot of our data stored on their cloud network, so there's more frictional costs to moving to a different provider.

3. iPhones are a device we use regularly throughout the day. Cars? I may drive once or twice at most generally, and they are for short periods of time. I want the best experience for my Phone experience, but driving an EV that's a Tesla vs. another EV in the future....? Not going to be much difference.

4. iPhones can rely on a basic set of models. There are tons of car variations in comparison, and Tesla's options are limited.

Simply put, my next vehicle will very likely be an EV, but after driving a Tesla I don't see anything they are doing that won't be a fairly similar featureset and quality as a competitor. I will likely opt on options that I want and price. I am doubtful that Tesla will be the most cost competitive EV in the market. I do not have any brand loyalty whatsoever for Cars that I do for Phones, for the reasons described above.

The ride sharing and autonomous driving goals are still far out. Sure, we may be 95% there, but the last 5% will be extremely difficult and full autonomous driving requires full confidence of a 100% reliable solution. This has regulatory hurdles, and the advantages Tesla has in big data may be required by law to be shared to other vendors in order for widely adopted autonomous driving to be safe for everyone. Tesla is at the forefront in many ways, but they will not own a monopoly on this technology, and the rollout will be over a very long time horizon.

I think concentrated investment into Tesla stock at this point is a dangerous game to play. Not worth the upside, and far more downside risk. But to each their own.
hph6203
AG
bmks270 said:

Potential recall on the way.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/feds-asks-tesla-recall-158-000308276.html

U.S. safety regulators have asked Tesla to recall 158,000 vehicles over media control unit failures that cause the touchscreen displays to stop working, following a months-long investigation by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The Office of Defects Investigation unit of the agency determined that the failure of the media control unit is a safety issue since functions like the backup camera and defogging and defrosting setting controls stop working as well as audible chimes, which are used when the turn signal indicator is activated and to alert drivers while the vehicle's Autopilot advanced driver assistance system is engaged. Reports of the MCUs suddenly failing have been a topic for years in Tesla forums.

The failure is caused when the memory storage in a flash drive used in the used in these vehicles reaches capacity, investigators concluded. The only solution is to replace the physical piece of hardware. Vehicles affected include Model S sedans built between 2012 and 2018 as well as Model X SUVs in 2016 through 2018.

About the 9 minute mark of this video.

They're offering upgrades to the newer version of their media system to these model vehicles for $1500, though people can get the chip replaced under the recall. The recall is not a major expense per vehicle, and they may offset a decent amount of it from the overall upgrade.

Also, Tesla dramatically outsold the E-Tron in Norway in December (sold half of the E-Tron's annual sales in one month), and JD Power scores revealed major gaps between Tesla consumer satisfaction with Teslas versus other EVs.
badharambe
AG
This is why some bears won't leave. Interesting video thread detailing FSD scam.

AggiEE
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/26/elon-musk-deletes-tweets-about-tesla-becoming-the-biggest-company.html

• Tesla CEO Elon Musk tweeted early Friday morning that "I think there is a >0% chance Tesla could be the biggest company" and added, "probably within a few months" in replies to followers.
  • The timing tweet was later deleted.

bmks270
AG
Musk's delusions contribute to his great leadership.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.