Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets

21,516,030 Views | 223265 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by Heineken-Ashi
ProgN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aggie_2463 said:

Just noticed $865 in fraudulent charges on my CC.... still on hold with Wells fargo after 30 minutes, and have never had to wait before....I hate you COVID19!
Your wife bought 800 shares of RIG on credix.

J/K bro
rcannaday
AG
Every key company in XLP is killing it, was at Sam's today in ATX, just amazed to see so many empty shelves and rationing of 1 per person items. I have heard that some distributors are asking partners for what would normally be 8-10 weeks of inventory in one purchase because of demand... the Q1 numbers for some staples companies I believe will be well above analyst estimates. Avoid everything else, who knows where this market clears before we get any good news. We desperately need treatments, testing, ventilators, etc. before any of this clears up.

leoj
AG
Prognightmare said:

AggieKeith15 said:

I wonder if Delta is trying to sweeten the water on Stimulus by releasing those numbers.

I suspect they all are.

Good luck taking that line given the mood in the general public.
AggBock
AG
It took 1.5 hours to get on with a Citi rep today and now on hold while he calls another branch. lol This sucks.
jj9000
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

Have you ever seen GDP decline by 24%, because that is what Goldman is predicting for Q2.
Bingo!!
AgOutsideAustin
AG
ehrmantraut said:

I think historical bear market averages have to be considered at some point. We've already eclipsed the average (about 30%).

Unless this is significantly worse than anything else we've ever seen, I can't see it going much lower than Dow 17,000.

A month ago, we were all expecting a relatively positive year because the fundamentals were good. That's all changed now, but not THAT much

Really ? How old are you ?

I helped my Dad move the station wagon up in the gas station line during Carter, dot com bust, 9/11, bank bust, and now this.

I don't know.... something about our country's largest and richest states basically closing up shop makes it change THAT much.

We shall see....
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Can I say, for the record, F UAL? Those MFers used 95% of their free cash flow on share buy backs. Let them fail.
ProgN
$30,000 Millionaire said:

Can I say, for the record, F UAL? Those MFers used 95% of their free cash flow on share buy backs. Let them fail.
Their business was humming along and they bought shares back that added to shareholder value. I can't believe that they couldn't foresee a virus spanning the globe shutting down their business. How short sighted of them.

Please, take that bs somewhere else.
khaos288
AG
Prognightmare said:

Their business was humming along and they bought shares back that added to shareholder value. I can't believe that they couldn't foresee a virus spanning the globe shutting down their business. How short sighted of them.

Please, take that bs somewhere else.

I can see the argument. Shareholder value is one thing, but so is responsibility. Personal finances say save enough for lean times, and emergencies. Why not hold companies to that same standard? Especially when they have proven to have the cash in good times.

Edit to add, there is intrinsic value to having cash stores that can carry the company through lean times as well.
ProgN
This isn't a "lean" time, this is a catastrophe businesswise.
Baby Billy
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

ehrmantraut said:

I think historical bear market averages have to be considered at some point. We've already eclipsed the average (about 30%).

Unless this is significantly worse than anything else we've ever seen, I can't see it going much lower than Dow 17,000.

A month ago, we were all expecting a relatively positive year because the fundamentals were good. That's all changed now, but not THAT much

Really ? How old are you ?

I helped my Dad move the station wagon up in the gas station line during Carter, dot com bust, 9/11, bank bust, and now this.

I don't know.... something about our country's largest and richest states basically closing up shop makes it change THAT much.

We shall see....

Sorry to touch a nerve. It was an opinion.

Maybe the world will end as we know it and you'll be right
khaos288
AG
Prognightmare said:

This isn't a "lean" time, this is a catastrophe businesswise.

Right, but I said emergencies too. This is definitely an emergency.
ProgN
We'll agree to disagree. I perceive this as more than an emergency.
Aggie_2463
AG
Prognightmare said:

Aggie_2463 said:

Just noticed $865 in fraudulent charges on my CC.... still on hold with Wells fargo after 30 minutes, and have never had to wait before....I hate you COVID19!
Your wife bought 800 shares of RIG on credix.

J/K bro
You laugh now just wait til that glorious rise to $3 down the road and you coulda tripled up!!!
ProgN
khaos288
AG
Prognightmare said:

We'll agree to disagree. I perceive this as more than an emergency.

Yeah I gotcha. I actually just said I can see the argument. Stock buy backs are a good way to increase share holder value, but aggressively investing there knowing there's a bailout in case of catastrophe is a slippery slope.

I also don't like to over legislate, but I could see something like requiring a certain amount of operating funds (3-6 months maybe?) for companies that have been previously bailed out in the past 10 years or something?

I don't know. Maybe there's a solution there. Maybe we just continue to allow buybacks and mid disaster bail companies out. Hell with the cash per person they're literally bailing people out too at this point.
ProgN
They were a private company using their own profits, never anticipating a bailout would be needed, to buy back their own stocks. The bailout will have conditions preventing future buybacks. However, we don't need the government ever telling a private company how to use their own profits.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
UAL can't even survive a month of a reduced schedule without dramatic action and a "sufficient" government bailout. We would mock any individual as being paycheck to paycheck if they were in that situation. UAL could have used 50% of their FCF on buy backs and had cash reserves like Apple does.

There is a difference between shareholder value and responsible corporate governance. I'm surprised you can't see the difference.
Ragoo
AG

UAL can't even survive a month of a reduced schedule without dramatic action and a "sufficient" government bailout. We would mock any individual as being paycheck to paycheck if they were in that situation. UAL could have used 50% of their FCF on buy backs and had cash reserves like Apple does.

There is a difference between shareholder value and responsible corporate governance. I'm surprised you can't see the difference.
isnt Apple's cash offshore?
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Prognightmare said:

They were a private company using their own profits, never anticipating a bailout would be needed, to buy back their own stocks. The bailout will have conditions preventing future buybacks. However, we don't need the government ever telling a private company how to use their own profits.

So you agree with me that they should be allowed to go bankrupt then? They're clearly not responsible enough to manage their net income correctly. Failing to have a black swan plan is an absolute failure of their board and management team.
khaos288
AG
Prognightmare said:

Yeah that's the exact middle ground from my post. Bail out with conditions that for a certain time they maintain certain fiscal responsibility levels. When private I wouldn't want to interfere, like I said I don't like over legislation. Once they take a public bail out though, at least force them to structure in a way they won't need another for the foreseeable future.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Majority is, I believe. Nonetheless it is available for use and can be repatriated if needed here.
Ragoo
AG

Majority is, I believe. Nonetheless it is available for use and can be repatriated if needed here.
and comes with a significant tax if repatriated

I don't think the operational cost of the two businesses is even remotely comparable.

I don't think any airline budgets for this kind of downtime. You can't just let planes sit idle. That is bad bad bad for them.
Touchless
AG
Touchless said:

brd79 said:

Prognightmare said:

brd79 said:

Prognightmare said:

brd79 said:

Prognightmare said:

I'm going long DIS and RH, stock not options, at the close.

I've been watching for your advice about the $100 call under $7. Not doing it anymore?
Out to 7/17 you won't get hurt in those options

Yep
I bought the 7/17 95c @ $9.50.

I bought 7/17 100c @ $7.19
Question on this. Why would one choose the the $100 @ $7.19 which is an effective strike price of $107.19 vs the $95 @ $9.50 which is an effective strike price of $104.50? I'm sure that wording isn't correct as well, but I'm assuming you understand what I'm referring to.

I'm trying to figure out which option strike price to go with at times and the premium obviously effects it, but is it best to just go with the lowest overall combination of the two? I would assume the lowest possible profit point would be best, but the lower premiums also have their own advantages obviously.
For anyone with knowledge, any help with the question above? I'm still new to this and trying to learn the happy medium of weighing the strike price on an option vs the profit line.
FamousAgg
Prognightmare said:

I propose a federally backed 0 interest loan, no stock buybacks until loan is paid back.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Surely they are smart enough to understand that global events such as a pandemic or cyber attack could temporarily disrupt their business? I know the government will save them. They made matters worse by not having any type of cash reserves when they could have in order to temporarily inflate their stock price. But hey, their management got some great RSU uplift until they needed billions from the government after a month.
ProgN
KorbinDallas said:

Prognightmare said:

I propose a federally backed 0 interest loan, no stock buybacks until loan is paid back.
That's what they're going to get. Not sure if it will be a 0%, but if not it will be extremely low. The will prohibited from doing stock buybacks or giving executive bonuses until it's repaid.
ProgN

Prognightmare said:

So you agree with me that they should be allowed to go bankrupt then? They're clearly not responsible enough to manage their net income correctly. Failing to have a black swan plan is an absolute failure of their board and management team.
If they cause this situation due to bad management or fraud, then yes let them go bankrupt. However, this wasn't due to any of that. If need be put a tax on all flights out of China to the US until the bailout is paid.
GigEmRangers75455
Does anyone know the likelihood of statewide shutdown. I'm curios because my lake house is 6 hours away and that's where I want to take the family if it does happen... we're already packed just in case...
Chipotlemonger
AG
Can you work remotely? Just go now, if you can.
GigEmRangers75455
Chipotlemonger said:

Can you work remotely? Just go now, if you can.

Wife is an accountant for Valero and has to be at work Tuesday and Thursday... I also manage for an oil related company. Valero seems to think they're "essential business" and isn't letting them away from work unless it's an actual shutdown of movement.
AggieKeith15
AG
I don't think it's very likely to happen in Texas, but if it did happen I'm pretty sure it would be announced several hours before going into effect. You'd probably be able to drive there in time after an announcement and in the case you weren't at your destination yet I'm confident authorities would let you get to where you're going.
AggieKeith15
AG
What is everyone's opinion on Monday being a large rally?
ProgN
First Page Last Page
Page 1163 of 6380

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.