***Official Houston Astros 2022-23 Offseason Thread***

992,662 Views | 12340 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Beat40
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Oooooo

jkag89
MaxPower said:

Let this sink in. If you use fangraphs projected contracts, you could get both Abreu and Eovaldi for the price of JV. I'd much rather do that. Keep in mind Eovaldi is nails in the playoffs.
Eovaldi is 4-3 in the postsean with a 3.14 ERA
Verlander is 16-11 with a 3.64 ERA
EastCoastAgNc
AG
After the story came out that dusty killed the deal, I can't see how he would be willing to sign
bearkatag15
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

After the story came out that dusty killed the deal, I can't see how he would be willing to sign

Costs 0 players to sign him as a FA. It would have cost you a legit middle of the rotation arm to trade for him. Big difference here
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Costs 0 players to sign him as a FA. It would have cost you a legit middle of the rotation arm to trade for him. Big difference here

I think he is eligible for a QO. If the cubs give him one, then he's definitely off our list. Also, dusty nuking the deal wasn't just about urquidy. He didn't think he would fit in the clubhouse.
Farmer1906
AG
I would guess, Contraras would be someone who could catch 50 games a year the spend the rest of the time in LF/DH. If he proves he can catch at a high enough level / call play pitchers the Astro way, then you can use Lee/Diaz as trade bait.
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I would guess, Contraras would be someone who could catch 50 games a year the spend the rest of the time in LF/DH. If he proves he can catch at a high enough level / call play pitchers the Astro way, then you can use Lee/Diaz as trade bait.

My thoughts exactly. There would be plenty of ABs for him especially if he can play LF at MMP some.
Ag_07
AG
He didn't want a player worried about personal stats and playing time before becoming a FA.
jopatura
AG
I think Yuli stays and becomes the utility infielder. He's played a handful of 2B & 3B over the years. With this, Diaz leaves. I also lean towards Mancini staying as long as he gels with the hitting coaches - I couldn't tell if his issues stemmed from someone trying to tweak mechanics or lack of regular play time. Otherwise Bell or Abreu, but they'll cost more.

I really don't see them signing a big name catcher unless Maldy only wants to be JV's personal catcher. It sounds like Maldy had a rough season with the hand and the hernia, so it's possible. Otherwise Y Diaz & Lee duke it out in ST for the second catcher's spot to be the next Peña. Trade at the deadline if they both suck.

Resign Brantley to be the DH. Yordan did decently in the field this year. Keep Chas in CF and King Tuck in RF. I would like to see a decent journeyman outfielder get signed. I don't think any of the AAA guys should be brought up unless someone's hurt. The young kids need consistent play time and I've soured on Meyers.

Montero's probably gone as well as Will Smith. I'm guessing we'll sign a few Neris type guys and Dusty will want a lefty.

Starting rotation: JV, Framber, Javier, LMJ, Brown. I would keep one of Garcia or Urquidy. Trade the other. I have my doubts that LMJ makes it a full season.
tjack16
AG
Mine just got here too
MarathonAg12
City Centre Academy
Farmer1906
AG

OKCAg2002
AG
bearkatag15
AG
It's clearly a joke
irish pete ag06
AG
shano0603 said:

irish pete ag06 said:

I did it all backwards as an Astros fan on Texags. I easily posted the most in this forum and the Astros threads from 2012 to about 2016.

Had kids and some life changes after that. I plan to be more present this year.

Good to have you back. Weren't you part of the TexAgs drinking games on this thread back then?
Let me re-introduce myself to all.

I'm Irish Pete and I spent many a day at war with Rangers fans in this forum from 2012 to 2017. I had to continually remind them that they were on borrowed time at that they were statistically one of the luckiest teams of all time in 2016 when we didn't make the playoffs and they won the division. I live in Ranger country and always heard Silver Boot this and all-time record that, and I always told them that it would be flipped in a decade. Turns out I was wrong, we're going to flip it sooner than that. Potentially this next season! I was always an avid poster in the Rangers trash talk thread with maybe my best contribution being this: post: https://texags.com/forums/53/topics/2845850/replies/48785747

I spent many nights with a subscription to MiLB.TV in the early 2010s watching Correa, Springer, and even Altuve as minor leaguers... I even watched Mark Appel make many starts. I really wanted Andrew Aplin to be a stud and I thought Preston Tucker could have been a 30 HR guy. Following the draft and prospects as a coping mechanism for just how bad the Astros were. Listened to the accusations of tanking when the Cubs. I even became a part of the Crawfish Boxes staff covering the minor league and prospects.

I'm also a sabermetric nerd who's first stop is fangraphs when evaluating things. On that note, I think Chas McCormick needs to continue to play CF for now.

I always believed in Luhnow. I always believed he would make us the next Cardinals. Turns out we're even better than the Cardinals of his day.

Planning to be in here more often again. Looking forward to this offseason!
Farmer1906
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

shano0603 said:

irish pete ag06 said:

I did it all backwards as an Astros fan on Texags. I easily posted the most in this forum and the Astros threads from 2012 to about 2016.

Had kids and some life changes after that. I plan to be more present this year.

Good to have you back. Weren't you part of the TexAgs drinking games on this thread back then?
Let me re-introduce myself to all.

I'm Irish Pete and I spent many a day at war with Rangers fans in this forum from 2012 to 2017. I had to continually remind them that they were on borrowed time at that they were statistically one of the luckiest teams of all time in 2016 when we didn't make the playoffs and they won the division. I live in Ranger country and always heard Silver Boot this and all-time record that, and I always told them that it would be flipped in a decade. Turns out I was wrong, we're going to flip it sooner than that. Potentially this next season! I was always an avid poster in the Rangers trash talk thread with maybe my best contribution being this: post: https://texags.com/forums/53/topics/2845850/replies/48785747

I spent many nights with a subscription to MiLB.TV in the early 2010s watching Correa, Springer, and even Altuve as minor leaguers... I even watched Mark Appel make many starts. I really wanted Andrew Aplin to be a stud and I thought Preston Tucker could have been a 30 HR guy. Following the draft and prospects as a coping mechanism for just how bad the Astros were. Listened to the accusations of tanking when the Cubs. I even became a part of the Crawfish Boxes staff covering the minor league and prospects.

I'm also a sabermetric nerd who's first stop is fangraphs when evaluating things. On that note, I think Chas McCormick needs to continue to play CF for now.

I always believed in Luhnow. I always believed he would make us the next Cardinals. Turns out we're even better than the Cardinals of his day.

Planning to be in here more often again. Looking forward to this offseason!

irish pete ag06
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Quote:

Click chose not to share many specifics of his Monday discussion with Crane, but it's clear they offered little clarity. He refuted an earlier report from USA Today that suggested he'll receive a one-year contract extension for the 2023 season. On multiple occasions, Click said he is "in discussions" about his future.

"We are having discussions right now," Click said. "I think any time you're having discussions, that means it's not complete."

Quote:

The team called a press conference for Wednesday at Noon at Minute Maid Park. The announcement emailed to media members did not include a reason or participants. It is expected the team will announce a one-year extension for Baker to return as the club's manager in 2023.

Click said he did not find out about the press conference until a few minutes before meeting a throng of reporters at the general manager's meetings. A team official emailed the announcement at 4:45 p.m. (Houston time). Click spoke about 25 minutes later.

"I have very little information on the press conference tomorrow," Click said. "At no point has anyone told me that the press conference tomorrow is any sort of a deadline for my situation."

Crane hired Baker, so it's not unreasonable for him to handle his future. Asked if he had any input in the decision to bring Baker back, Click replied "Jim and I discussed Dusty and the entire organization frequently." Click said he will remain in Las Vegas on Wednesday "trying to put together the team for next year."

Click's contract expired on Oct. 31. When it did, he essentially became an at-will employee. Click is not the only general manager in Las Vegas without a contract. Brian Cashman of the New York Yankees is without one, but it's considered a foregone conclusion he'll be re-signed.
Quote:

Offering a 44-year-old World Series-winning general manager a one-year contract extension is evidence enough. Asked if he'd accept a one-year deal, Click replied: "I'm not going to comment on hypothetical negotiations."

The philosophical chasm between Click and Crane has never felt more apparent. Crane has heavily inserted himself into baseball operations decisions, according to multiple people familiar with the organization's infrastructure. Click has only worked under two owners: Crane and Rays owner Stu Sternberg. In describing Crane's involvement with baseball operations, Click said "I only have one other owner to compare it to and it's a little different than that guy."

Speaking in a sort of candor he hasn't in some time, Click acknowledged on Tuesday that he and Crane are "different" in their approach.

"We're different," Click said. "There's some things we do very differently. There's some things we're very lined up on. That's going to be true of any relationship between a boss and an employee. I think he likes to act very quickly in certain cases. I tend toward a more deliberate approach. He is very demanding, but he also gives you the resources to accomplish what he tasks you to do."

Quote:

Click did not list any conditions he would demand if he returns like autonomy in all baseball decisions. He said it "could go any number of different ways," complex discussions that probably deserved more than a hasty post-parade talk.

"The crowd showed what a global city Houston is and the culture that it has," Click said. "It was on full display. The support the town has, I've never been a part of anything like that. It is addictive. My wife and I are really, really happy there. Our kids are happy. We feel very settled. I'm really hopeful to be back."
irish pete ag06
AG
Man, as someone who hasn't kept up with this closely until now, this is just… odd.
Farmer1906
AG
Man, as someone who HAS kept up with this closely until now, this is just… odd.
bigjag19
AG
I'm waiting to hear from Cuba Pete.
Deluxe
AG
Welcome back!
iamtheglove
AggieJ2002 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Agreed. Not sure how anyone can say he's mentally weak. If anything I think he did very well as a rookie in big situations.

Don't think mentally weak is really right word, but mentally inexperienced is more of the right word, and he did do fine in his opportunities ... imo he's done everything he can do and it's time to find out how he handles a regular role where hitters start to make adjustments to him based on what he does in a larger sample size. His time should be now.

With the bounty of starting pitchers we have, I wouldn't mind seeing Brown take a role at the back end of the bullpen similar to Montero's for 2023.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Man, as someone who HAS kept up with this closely until now, this is just… odd.

This team won 106 games, plus 11 more for a ring all while its GM and manager were seemingly not just on different pages but in different books chosen from different floors in the library.

The rest of the league has to wonder how good they would have been if they saw eye to eye and they have to be hoping for a massive implosion.
cc10106
Maybe Click is thinking "(bleep) your one year contract, Jim".
PSully97
AG
One of my friends is an on-field photographer and took some great shots of game 6. I'm not savvy enough to know how to post them, but this one is my favorite: Altuve after he went back to the bag on Yordan's bomb.

https://photosbyerik.zenfolio.com/11052022astrosphillies_wsgm6/h471fc8e7#h471fc8e7

There's some good ones of Neris coming off the field as well.
Ag_07
AG
Are there any GM positions open for Click?

I would think that if things were as bad as they seem he would just quit and move on.

If it's this bad why does he want to come back?
spadilly
S
I wish it were as simple as getting the two at the table and "hey, I know we just won the WS. We don't see eye to eye, but let's give it a shot and repeat."
Buck Compton
AG
PSully97 said:

One of my friends is an on-field photographer and took some great shots of game 6. I'm not savvy enough to know how to post them, but this one is my favorite: Altuve after he went back to the bag on Yordan's bomb.

https://photosbyerik.zenfolio.com/11052022astrosphillies_wsgm6/h471fc8e7#h471fc8e7

There's some good ones of Neris coming off the field as well.
I love that Tuve's shoes look like rental bowling shoes in this photo.
3 Toed Pete
AG
It sure seems like Crane is trying to send a message to Click that he is not wanted and is hoping Click leaves. Not uncommon in business between an owner and employee but this seems really out of character for Crane. He certainly had no problem dumping Reid Ryan (and thereby alienating Nolan) to let his son take over Reid's position and was willing to take the short-term PR hit. He's seemed to be a decisive owner.

Yeah, not understanding this one.
n_touch
Marvin said:

n_touch said:

BeowulfShaeffer said:

Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

heard orbit's contract is up. Junction jack just waiting in the wings.
Can anyone dig up Chester Charge?

He may need to go on a tumbler with the Dome logo

Now you can take my money!
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Are there any GM positions open for Click?

I would think that if things were as bad as they seem he would just quit and move on.

If it's this bad why does he want to come back?

I think he's using his leverage. The longer this plays out in the media, the worse it's going to look for Crane. Idk if he cares or not, but every baseball writer is going to be on Click's side.

Currently, Click is working without a deal. The GM meetings start the 8th. Free agency the 10th. 40 man roster finalized the 15th. Winter Meetings Dec 5th. The farther this goes the more Crane will have no choice. If Crane won't meeting Click's "demands" then he can just stop working.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
MarathonAg12

Which one of you is this?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Which one of you is this?
If you buy them through the chronicle's site, it's $30 + $10 shipping. Sadly it's not that big of a ripoff
First Page Last Page
Page 9 of 353

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.