***Official Houston Astros 2022-23 Offseason Thread***

1,016,277 Views | 12340 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Beat40
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
not going to lie, i wasnt a fan of resting players in the 3rd game of the season with an off day to follow against a division opponent who was supposed to be a lot more competitive than they were
AggieJ2002
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Agreed. Not sure how anyone can say he's mentally weak. If anything I think he did very well as a rookie in big situations.

Don't think mentally weak is really right word, but mentally inexperienced is more of the right word, and he did do fine in his opportunities ... imo he's done everything he can do and it's time to find out how he handles a regular role where hitters start to make adjustments to him based on what he does in a larger sample size. His time should be now.
AggieJ2002
AG
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

not going to lie, i wasnt a fan of resting players in the 3rd game of the season with an off day to follow against a division opponent who was supposed to be a lot more competitive than they were

Trust me I was not happy when I showed up to watch Verlander and Thor early in the season in Anaheim to find out that Nico Goodrum was batting 3rd
JYDog90
AG
Farmer1906 said:

At this point, I don't see why we wouldn't do the 6 man rotation.

If you're JV chasing 300 and you feel your window closing, do you want to be in a 6-man rotation? That's 5 fewer starts/yr.
Farmer1906
AG
Willy Wonka said:

Farmer1906 said:

If you're JV chasing 300 and you feel your window closing, do you want to be in a 6-man rotation? That's 5 fewer starts/yr.

Idk. The 6 man rotation kept him from running out of gas. At 40, I doubt 200+ innings is realistic. But I don't plan my rotation around an individual's person goals.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Farmer1906 said:

Agreed. Not sure how anyone can say he's mentally weak. If anything I think he did very well as a rookie in big situations.

I didn't mean to imply he was mentally weak. Just a thought of something that could help him and had obviously paid massive dividends with framber. He was good in some situations but had walk issues at times (both late in the regular season and I'm the ALCS) where it seemed like he lost focus.

Didn't mean to put words in your mouth.

Walks have plagued him for a while now. He's made strides though. It might always be that way though. Some nasty guys never find it and get by still. See LMJ.
MAROON
AG
AggieJ2002 said:

Trust me I was not happy when I showed up to watch Verlander and Thor early in the season in Anaheim to find out that Nico Goodrum was batting 3rd
someone mentioned he would get a WS ring.

surely that's not true - 15 games, 43 at bats, get released, and you get a ring?
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Farmer1906
AG
Articles like this make me sick. Are you so soft you can't handle the Astros winning then stop following sports. ****ing babies.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
MAROON said:

AggieJ2002 said:

surely that's not true - 15 games, 43 at bats, get released, and you get a ring?

100%
MAROON
AG
so, it's a participation trophy.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
No, it's just a piece of metal
yayaggies
Pedro Baez will get one too
EastCoastAgNc
AG
htxag09
AG
MAROON said:

so, it's a participation trophy.

Well Harper isn't getting one and he participated in the WS
HarryRocket
Sex Panther
AG
MAROON said:

AggieJ2002 said:

They give them to just about anyone involved with the major league club for the season
Wabs
AG
Willy Wonka said:

Farmer1906 said:

Just looked up JV's stats. He's at 244 wins. Anyway.....another note, in 13 years with Detroit JV had one year with a WHIP below 1.00. He's been below a 1.00 every season with the Astros.
88Warrior
Panama Red said:

Brown likely starts the season in Sugar Land.

Montero is going to be overpaid somewhere else based on the season he had.

To me Montero has that look that he's one blown out elbow away from valet parking cars at Trulucks….
n_touch
BeowulfShaeffer said:

heard orbit's contract is up. Junction jack just waiting in the wings.
Can anyone dig up Chester Charge?

He may need to go on a tumbler with the Dome logo
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I believe Montero already blew out his elbow once. He earned himself a good contract with someone but I probably wouldn't pay him what he'll be asking. Abreu is going to take over that role as primary setup guy
Texaggie7nine
Pics of him are pretty hard to find.

7nine
07ag
AG
88Warrior said:

Panama Red said:

Brown likely starts the season in Sugar Land.

Montero is going to be overpaid somewhere else based on the season he had.

To me Montero has that look that he's one blown out elbow away from valet parking cars at Trulucks….
https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/houston-astros/rafael-montero-15709/cash-earnings/

pretty sure it's more likely that you'll be parking his mercedes than the other way around
https://ts.la/eric59704
88Warrior
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I believe Montero already blew out his elbow once. He earned himself a good contract with someone but I probably wouldn't pay him what he'll be asking. Abreu is going to take over that role as primary setup guy

Montero definitely had a good year. But if there's one to not bring back he would be my choice.
RO519
AG
Hi guys, checking into the offseason thread... how long till pitchers and catchers report?

W
AG
on a different subject...

do we think the Astros will get their rings and wear the gold trim jerseys on opening weekend vs. the White Sox?

or wait until the 2nd weekend vs. the Rangers or 3rd weekend vs. the Phillies
Jet Black
Sure would like them to go out and get a legit centerfielder.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Jet Black said:

Catch bought chas about 5 minutes of good will
Farmer1906
AG
Jet Black said:

Nimmo and if you want to count Judge are the only high end CFers on the market. I doubt either get a look from Houston.

I don't get why people aren't higher on Chas. He was a top 10 CFer offensively and defensively this year.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
for the price, chas is stellar
htxag09
AG
You also have Jake who can hopefully fully recover and show if he can make it or not.
wessimo
AG
LFG
Farmer1906
AG
And Pedro Leon in AAA.
FrioAg 00
AG
I don't think you have to upgrade bats at CF, 1B and catcher.

I think we need to significantly upgrade 1 of them, and give a smaller boost to another.

So if you keep Chas, then you need a stud 1B and a share the load Catcher who can also DH.

Or, you can go get a stud hitter at CF, leave catcher alone and get someone who can split time as 1B and DH.

I think this lineup needs 2 upgrades to the bats.
scrimp
AG
I love that any position player that doesn't have a AS/GG/SS last year is in need of an upgrade......

First Page Last Page
Page 6 of 353

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.