***Official Houston Astros 2022-23 Offseason Thread***

1,018,966 Views | 12340 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Beat40
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Someone has a parody account for Chandler
gougler08
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I like keeping the band together here, good job Crane
gougler08
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Did I miss why Judge is predicted to go to San Fran?
AggieNiebs
AG
cc10106 said:

Apparently Peña wasn't an AL ROY finalist. Tough competition I guess.
I don't understand how Kwan made it and not Pena.... I get Rutsch, cause of his position, but still, SS is a prime position too....
Its moot though, cause JRod will win it.... but still, should have earned the finalist
Moe Jzyslak
AG
He grew up outside of SF
MarathonAg12
Summer of 2018. We had just attended a Buies Creek Astros game in North Carolina. Got Seth Beer's foul ball.

Time goes by so fast.
Panama Red
AG
Quote:

Did I miss why Judge is predicted to go to San Fran?
He is from there and they have money to spend. My guess is he stays in NY.
W
AG
Judge to the Giants and Oracle Park ?

kiss all those opposite field home runs goodbye
fullback44
AG
BCSGrubber said:

Man Jose Abreu has been a target of mine for years.

Lineup would be sick

Tuve
Pena
Yordan
Bregs
Tucker
Abreu
Brantley
Chas/Jake/Leon
Maldy/Lee/Diaz
Ummmm, this would be a sick lineup, you essentially have 7-8 hitters that would drive most (the best) starters out of a game by the 5th inning... then add in Chas, Vazques or Yuli (hope we can keep his bat, he showed up in the playoffs)
Mathguy64
AG
W said:

HRs in general. He would be going from one of the most friendly stadiums for RH hitting HRS to the second least friendly park. Its a huge swing. Yankees stadium is 10% above average and SF is 23% below.
FrioAg 00
AG
The strength of our team was pitching, so let's start there.

JV is the obvious biggest question, and it's debated so much I'm not sure how much more there is to discuss.

I'm assuming we will use a 5 man rotation during the majority of the season: The sure things at this point are Framler, Javier, LMJ and Brown. The fifth spot could be JV, Garcia or Urquidy. And we'll carry at least 2 of those dudes in the event of injury issues.

What about the pen?

Presley and Abreu sure look like our top 2. With Neris and Stanek being so strong this year, I'm not sure how hard we'll work to keep Montero.

From where we set today, it sure looks good that pitching will be a strength again next year regardless of what JV and Montero decide to do.

My hope is that we don't throw a bunch of dollars this way - instead spending those dollars to upgrade the bats at OF, 1B and at part time Catcher /DH.
Panama Red
AG
Brown likely starts the season in Sugar Land.

Montero is going to be overpaid somewhere else based on the season he had.
OKCAg2002
AG
I actually could see us still doing a 6 man rotation in an effort to keep LMJ fresh. I wonder if that will be a trend in the regular season that catches on. It paid dividends in the postseason. The starting pitchers went longer in games and saved the pen despite having one less arm back there.

IF we don't sign JV, then you could still go Framber, LMJ, Garcia, Urquidy, Javier, and Brown.
AustinCountyAg
Mathguy64 said:

W said:

HRs in general. He would be going from one of the most friendly stadiums for RH hitting HRS to the second least friendly park. Its a huge swing. Yankees stadium is 10% above average and SF is 23% below.
he might hit less HR's in SF, but he will be getting paid more than in NY.

Texaggie7nine
7nine
tjack16
AG
ScapeGOAT said:

He grew up outside of SF

I know it's been a talking point for a while about him being from there, but that rarely ever actually plays into their decisions. He's lived away from there now long enough that I think it's a non-factor
Mathguy64
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Mathguy64 said:

W said:

If SF wants to overpay to watch balls die on the warning track, who am I to suggest its not smart? He should enjoy his MVP. He wont sniff another one playing there.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
BMX Bandit
in game decisions and criticism is fine, but anyone that complains about the lineup Dusty sets or Dusty giving someone getting an off day should result in a week long ban.
scd88
AG
Espada has to be in a "manager in waiting" mode. He is the future for the Astros in this role. Love Dusty, and am grateful for what he has done. Really happy for him get a ring as a manager. But Espada is the next guy up and the Astros are lucky he wasn't snatched up by one of the recent openings.
n_touch
Wabs said:

Yanks want cheater Correa

Please let this happen. The perplexed looks on the home fans from not knowing if they are booing CC because he had a bad at bat or because he's a cheater will be meme worthy
AustinCountyAg
Mathguy64 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Mathguy64 said:

W said:

If SF wants to overpay to watch balls die on the warning track, who am I to suggest its not smart? He should enjoy his MVP. He wont sniff another one playing there.
so you're saying SF shouldn't sign Judge because he will hit less home runs there? Or are you saying Judge should stay in NY because he will hit more HR's there? I am not seeing your point
cc10106
There are A LOT of dumbass takes from callers on 790 so I'm not surprised by that. Folks were still complaining about Dusty after playoff wins. I'm afraid all this success is spoiling some Astro fans to the point they might as well be ignorant yankee fans but whatever. Good problem to have I guess.
Mathguy64
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Mathguy64 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Mathguy64 said:

W said:

so you're saying SF shouldn't sign Judge because he will hit less home runs there? Or are you saying Judge should stay in NY because he will hit more HR's there? I am not seeing your point
If they want to overpay for him in SF go for it. If they really want to overpay him in NY, go for it.
Farmer1906
AG
At this point, I don't see why we wouldn't do the 6 man rotation.
AggieJ2002
AG
I just don't see any way Hunter Brown is not handed an opportunity in a starting role next year.
12law
AG
What are thoughts on Lee establishing himself as the heir apparent to Maldy? Pena has my hopes up more so than what they should be I think.
BeowulfShaeffer
AG
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

heard orbit's contract is up. Junction jack just waiting in the wings.
Can anyone dig up Chester Charge?
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

At this point, I don't see why we wouldn't do the 6 man rotation.
I do wonder if Urquidy is part of a trade this offseason. I don't know why they would want to start Hunter Brown in Sugarland next season unless he has a horrible spring training.

That's assuming the Astros resign JV.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
AggieJ2002 said:

I just don't see any way Hunter Brown is not handed an opportunity in a starting role next year.

I think he needs to work with frambers mental guy. He seemed to lose focus and get rattled in big situations at times. He has the stuff to do well, just needs consistency
AggieJ2002
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

AggieJ2002 said:

I think he needs to work with frambers mental guy. He seemed to lose focus and get rattled in big situations at times. He has the stuff to do well, just needs consistency
I agree with you, though I think that is more of a reason to get him going at the start of the season. The more he works earlier in the year, we may have another ace that is mentally tough and ready to go come October
Beat40
EastCoastAgNc said:

AggieJ2002 said:

We barely saw him pitch last year. Not sure how we can make that determination.

The only struggle that I remember he had was in Yankee Stadium on a close out game. (I absolutely could be forgetting another moment). That was the concern some of us had when the talk was that he would be on the roster when only pithing 1 and a half months in the big leagues and not in a really hostile environment.

He did fine in at a hostile Seattle in a 0-0 game in extras.

As someone who was on the skeptical side of having a rookie with hardly any MLB pitching experience come in during big moments in a post season run, I thought he overall did great and got some really good experience for next year.

He's going to be fine, and again, unless he has an absolutely dreadful spring training where the team thinks it's something more than a bad start, I want him starting the year with the team.
Farmer1906
AG
Agreed. Not sure how anyone can say he's mentally weak. If anything I think he did very well as a rookie in big situations.
htxag09
AG
BMX Bandit said:

in game decisions and criticism is fine, but anyone that complains about the lineup Dusty sets or Dusty giving someone getting an off day should result in a week long ban.

I think the in game complaints are just as dumb. It's pretty damn obvious dusty makes decisions throughout the year simply to put people in different situations to see what he and they learn from it. The dusty, sorry, peepaw, complaints are why I quit the thread last season. Posters legitimately said things like he is either incompetent, just doesn't care, or is purposely trying to lose, those are the only options.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Agreed. Not sure how anyone can say he's mentally weak. If anything I think he did very well as a rookie in big situations.

I didn't mean to imply he was mentally weak. Just a thought of something that could help him and had obviously paid massive dividends with framber. He was good in some situations but had walk issues at times (both late in the regular season and I'm the ALCS) where it seemed like he lost focus.
First Page Last Page
Page 5 of 353

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.