***Official Houston Astros 2022-23 Offseason Thread***

1,016,279 Views | 12340 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Beat40
GigEmMortis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Hypothetical Offseason Moves - would be happy with this?

Sign Brantley, Bell, & Matt Moore (LHP)
Let JV, Montero, Vaz, Mancini, Yuli, & Diaz walk.
Have Lee/Diaz, Hensley, Brown on the opening day roster.
I don't want to see JV walk out. I know he's going to cost Crane's left nut to keep him around. But dammit I don't want to see him leave.

If we bring Bell in I feel comfortable letting Yuli and Mancini walk. I'm not sure I feel confident in Hensley getting significant playing time at the MLB level just yet. And Montero is going to get a nice payday from somebody, so I don't know if Crane is going to be willing to be competitive to keep him around, especially if he is aggressive in the JV sweepstakes
W
AG
Bregman is an interesting case.

he has his age 29, 30, 31, and 32 seasons ahead of him.

career WAR is 30 at the moment.

already has an all-time postseason resume for a third basemen
Mr.Bond
AG
n_touch said:

djmeen95 said:

n_touch said:

BeowulfShaeffer said:

Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

heard orbit's contract is up. Junction jack just waiting in the wings.
Can anyone dig up Chester Charge?

He may need to go on a tumbler with the Dome logo

Throwback tumbler with this logo?!?

That would be the one.

You did a lo ball yeti for me with this.... it's beautiful
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

W
AG
oh my, Altuve going to the east side / Pasadena --- that's going to be crazy
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

Bregman is an interesting case.

he has his age 29, 30, 31, and 32 seasons ahead of him.

career WAR is 30 at the moment.

already has an all-time postseason resume for a third basemen

He needs to stay healthy and have 4-6 WAR seasons. Maybe mix in an MVP level season like he did in 18 & 19. Kind shocked he's only a 2x AS, 1x SS.
MarathonAg12
Things are starting to arrive.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
what the eff, I ordered mine the day we beat the yankees and it still says processing.
MarathonAg12
Same
shano0603
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

I did it all backwards as an Astros fan on Texags. I easily posted the most in this forum and the Astros threads from 2012 to about 2016.

Had kids and some life changes after that. I plan to be more present this year.

Good to have you back. Weren't you part of the TexAgs drinking games on this thread back then?
Beau Holder
AG
Bag said:

Jet Black said:

Sure would like them to go out and get a legit centerfielder.
Drew Gilbert is ready

Speaking of the outfield, also curious to see what Justin Dirden does starting the year (I assume) at Sugar Land. Absolutely raked in Corpus but K'd more than one would like after AAA promotion.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know...
W
AG
I get the feeling Crane doesn't want to mess with hiring a new GM --- too much work and not enough time before the free agents need to be re-signed
FrioAg 00
AG
I have no idea, but I get the feeling Dusty and Click aren't totally aligned. And at one point both likely made it clear they wanted to win the little power struggle they have.

But championships change things, especially with this much if the team coming back. Both likely capitulated and said "sure, let's run it back again as is"
EastCoastAgNc
AG

EastCoastAgNc
AG
W said:

I get the feeling Crane doesn't want to mess with hiring a new GM --- too much work and not enough time before the free agents need to be re-signed

It feels like Crane wants him to say no so he can say "well I tried to keep him" and then go hire someone else.
Cobra39
Thread is cranking already.

I am seeing an Astros-Pirates World Series in 2023.

Cobra39
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Cobra39 said:

Thread is cranking already.

I am seeing an Astros-Pirates World Series in 2023.

Cobra39

Pirates? Really? The Gerrit Cole grudge match?
Marvin
AG
I'd say Crane has earned our trust. The dude has done nothing but brought in the right resources and spent the money to position the team to win again and again.

Maybe we can hold off the charge to the cliffs on day one of the off-season thread?
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
BMX Bandit
Dan Shedd said:

In! LFG. Yesterday's parade was awesome on so many levels!

No mask?
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
just got an email saying MLB shop cant fulfill my order, likely because I have a big old head.

Was trying to get the low profile with the WS patch.
RED AG 98
AG
Starks' latest in The Athletic is 1000% worth a read if you're a subscriber. It's really dang good. Since it's paywalled, just a few selected quotes:

Now that Astros have won World Series again, what's their place in history?
Quote:

You can think whatever you want to think. You can judge them however you want to judge them. You can boo them and loathe them and call them stuff that will never make it into a script of "Teletubbies." But here's the deal with the 2017-22 Astros now that they've sealed World Series championship No. 2:

They've moved into a space where you'll find only the greatest baseball teams of modern times. I hate to break that to you, but it's true. And if you're one of those people who don't want to visit that place, guess what? They don't give all the algorithms in Texas what you think.
Quote:

Six years of ridiculous dominance
W-L: 541-329
Win percentage: .622
Games over .500: 215
Run differential: +1,167
World Series won: 2
World Series appearances: 4
ALCS appearances: 6
Quote:

Two titles and a .622 win pct.? That's greatness

I spent hours Saturday afternoon looking into every team in history that did what these Astros have now done win multiple World Series and have a winning percentage that good over six seasons. What better way to spend a Saturday afternoon, right? (Don't answer that!)

Before we get to them, it might be more impressive to mention some of the teams that aren't on the list.
The Yankees of 1996-2003? Not on it.
The Big Red Machine? Nope. Not on it.
The Orioles of the late 1960s/early '70s, the A's of the '70s, the Red Sox of the 2000s, the Giants of the 2010s? Sorry. Not there, either.

Sooo … do we have your attention yet? To find the last team to do what the 2017-22 Astros have done, you have to go back more than six decades.
Lots and lots and lots of more pretty cool stats about 4 WS in 6 years, 6 straight LCS, lose WS and then win the very next year, etc.

He did spend a little time on 2017 of course but here's his closing:
Quote:

But I started this opus by saying it was complicated. It deserves to be complicated. It doesn't matter how much they spin 2017. It doesn't matter how much they drop hints that everyone else was doing it.

It happened. It'll get talked about forever. And they'll never escape it. They'll never stop being The Team America Loves to Hate. But that's OK, too. Why don't we all just make a pact. Feel free to boo them and root for every team that plays them. But please, please, please also look at the facts.

I've given you a lot of them. They tell a story that needs to be told. This is a special team, filled with great players, run by one of the smartest front offices in any sport and managed by a human being as beloved as any who has ever managed any team. So let's feel all of those things. I honestly think that would be 100 percent cool with the Houston Astros themselves.
Really well done.
Ciboag96
IN BEACHES!!!!
Nino Brown
GigEmMortis said:

Farmer1906 said:

I don't want to see JV walk out. I know he's going to cost Crane's left nut to keep him around. But dammit I don't want to see him leave.

If we bring Bell in I feel comfortable letting Yuli and Mancini walk. I'm not sure I feel confident in Hensley getting significant playing time at the MLB level just yet. And Montero is going to get a nice payday from somebody, so I don't know if Crane is going to be willing to be competitive to keep him around, especially if he is aggressive in the JV sweepstakes

Yuli deserves to retire an Astro, period.
Farmer1906
AG
Nino Brown said:

GigEmMortis said:

Farmer1906 said:

He can. Retire.
Farmer1906
AG
Marvin said:

I'd say Crane has earned our trust. The dude has done nothing but brought in the right resources and spent the money to position the team to win again and again.

Maybe we can hold off the charge to the cliffs on day one of the off-season thread?

Crane is a fantastic owner. No doubt. Doesn't mean he's not handling this incorrectly.
tjack16
AG
the King
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Marvin said:

Crane is a fantastic owner. No doubt. Doesn't mean he's not handling this incorrectly.

You know you can just say "Doesnt mean he's handling this correctly."
Nino Brown
Farmer1906 said:

Nino Brown said:

GigEmMortis said:

Farmer1906 said:

He can. Retire.

When he wants to. I'm assuming this isn't the Zoo where one just tries to get giggles just because they're sitting at home all alone, guess im wrong.
PETE2019
AG
In. Long time listener, infrequent caller. Have followed these threads since I discovered Texags a few years ago. Here's to another WS win in 2023!
MaxPower
Let this sink in. If you use fangraphs projected contracts, you could get both Abreu and Eovaldi for the price of JV. I'd much rather do that. Keep in mind Eovaldi is nails in the playoffs.
Farmer1906
AG
Nino Brown said:

Farmer1906 said:

Nino Brown said:

GigEmMortis said:

Farmer1906 said:

He can. Retire.

When he wants to. I'm assuming this isn't the Zoo where one just tries to get giggles just because they're sitting at home all alone, guess im wrong.

And if he says he wanted to play to 45 like JV has?
cablinaggie
AG
Marvin said:

All I'm saying is a one-year contract for Click should be plenty of time for a certain someone to relinquish his Mexican soccer team responsibilities.
LC Wannabe
S
Here's to short off-seasons. We are so freaking spoiled, and I love it!
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Yup. Makes sense.
First Page Last Page
Page 8 of 353

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.