***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,784 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

He had 44 pitches through 3 innings. Took another 17 pitches to get through 3.1
BMX Bandit
Hinch:

"He might play one game out there in the outfield."

Bonfired
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Hinch:

"He might play one game out there in the outfield."

Thanks...hadn't seen that.
the last of the bohemians
If Hinch doesn't get Alvarez field time on somewhat regular basis, it's a disservice to his potential as a player and our chances in the road WS games
bearkatag15
AG
Thor with a meh start vs SD. Through 5 innings and 4 ER. 4 BBs, 6 SO. 83 pitches
BMX Bandit
Alvarez doesn't have leg stamina to do it apparently. There's no doubt Hinch wants him to be able to play in the field more
3B Paul 97
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Thor with a meh start vs SD. Through 5 innings and 4 ER. 4 BBs, 6 SO. 83 pitches

Doing his part to lower the price.
Beau Bevers
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Alvarez doesn't have leg stamina to do it apparently. There's no doubt Hinch wants him to be able to play in the field more

I know they've said they don't think he can play 1B, but I would put him in winter ball in the Caribbean and see if the reps make him serviceable.
bearkatag15
AG
3B Paul 97 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Doing his part to lower the price.

he just finished the 7th inning with 109 pitches, 73 for strikes, 8 Ks, 5 BBs, 3 ERs.

bearkatag15
AG
Stroman with a really good outing vs Cleveland

7IP 5H 1ER 1BB 6K
100 pitches, 60 for strikes
ERA down to 2.96
Beat40
the last of the bohemians said:

If Hinch doesn't get Alvarez field time on somewhat regular basis, it's a disservice to his potential as a player and our chances in the road WS games

Comments like this make me wonder sometimes. The organization has shown they don't really have qualms about playing a person at just about any position if they think you can do it. Heck, who imagined Straw would play SS for the major league club?

Do you not think the organization will get him in the field when they think he is ready? Also, maybe the fact they aren't really getting him on the field is a huge sign at how unready he is given their propensity to play people at positions you wouldn't expect.

Hopefully they are working with him really hard during this season to be able to give him the live game time.
I guess good news if Alvarez is permanent DH he will be a lot cheaper to pay long term
Mathguy64
AG
Nice to see our local favorite Angel Hernandez was in the middle of a mess in TB. At one point TB took a pitcher, moved him to 1B, put another pitcher on the mound and still kept their DH and somehow didn't specify where the pitcher/1B was going to hit. Angel was home plate ump and took it upon himself to decide the batting order. Literally. TB didn't produce an order so he decided it. They took 15 minutes to figure it out. Cora protested and Boston lost 3-2. Thats crazy. Seems to me its on TB to produce a batting order. If its not legal its on them.
Ags #1
AG
I thought I read in an article that if the team doesn't decided then the ump has to or can decide the batting order for them?
Mathguy64
AG
Ags #1 said:

I thought I read in an article that if the team doesn't decided then the ump has to or can decide the batting order for them?
I read that but what I read indicated those words came directly from Angel.
Ags #1
AG
Lol. That makes sense then
Just an Ag
AG
RE: Alvarez - Prob no need to rush Alvarez into the field right now. Reddick, Springer and Brantly are producing at the plate so you don't want to replace them with a defensive liability. Keep the missile launcher in reserve as a PH.
Prosperdick
AG
Just an Ag said:

RE: Alvarez - Prob no need to rush Alvarez into the field right now. Reddick, Springer and Brantly are producing at the plate so you don't want to replace them with a defensive liability. Keep the missile launcher in reserve as a PH.
I'm with you, why rush him on the field and potentially costing us a run in the field. He also has cooled off a bit so maybe giving him a rest will do him good. With Correa back in the lineup we can afford to rest him.
Harry Dunne
KC_Ag14 said:

Haha good point! Think I'm thinking more along the lines of that we're getting into the dog days now.. and Carlos coming back may give Alex a kick in the asss.
Yes Bregman with his .939 July OPS and his 40 HR 100 RBI season pace really needs a kick in the ass...and to be moved down in the lineup.

McInnis
AG
Quote:

I'm with you, why rush him on the field and potentially costing us a run in the field.

I think Bohemian gave the answer to this - so he can play in road WS games.
fullback44
AG

Altuuuuuuvveeeeee. !

Having a great night so far
Farmer1906
AG
fullback44 said:

Altuuuuuuvveeeeee. !

... you know we played a day game today, right?
so where does Correa bat in the lineup? 7th?
Also, considering Brantley is a true 'professional ' contact hitter, good at bats consistency, high avg/low strikeout, lefty- does he make more sense in 2 spot? Altuve 3 Bergman 4 Alvarez 5 yuli 6 Correa 7 reddick 8 chineros 9 - yeah sounds silly but Bregmans approach this year is more similar to cleanup hitter
shano0603
AG
fullback44 said:

Altuuuuuuvveeeeee. !

Oh boy
Bonfired
AG
fullback44 said:

Altuuuuuuvveeeeee. !

See, this is what makes this thread great...everyone knows their role and plays it well.
fullback44
AG
Farmer1906 said:

fullback44 said:

Altuuuuuuvveeeeee. !

... you know we played a day game today, right?

LMAO..... I didnt watch it so I could watch it tonight ... but yeah my nieces and nephews sent me pics from the game earlier today

I did not know who won till just now!

Good chit !
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Farmer1906
AG
the last of the bohemians said:

so where does Correa bat in the lineup? 7th?
Also, considering Brantley is a true 'professional ' contact hitter, good at bats consistency, high avg/low strikeout, lefty- does he make more sense in 2 spot? Altuve 3 Bergman 4 Alvarez 5 yuli 6 Correa 7 reddick 8 chineros 9 - yeah sounds silly but Bregmans approach this year is more similar to cleanup hitter

I think stick him between Brantley and Alvarez and break up the lefties.

Yuli is on fire but he'll come back down to earth.

Springer
Altuve
Bregman
Brantley
Correa
Alvarez
Gurriel
Reddick
Chirinos

Our 7, 8, & 9 hitters have a wRC+ of 125, 98, & 115. I would wager no one else in baseball has anything close.
W
AG
Bregman is struggling. Bagwell talked about it last night on the broadcast. He's becoming very one-true-outcome oriented. Only hitting .190 w/RISP. He should probably have 80+ RBI now.

Brantley could move into the #3 hole to at least break up the string of right-handed hitters
Yep, at very least it's poor baseball logic to have R R R L L as top 5 lineup
Harry Dunne
W said:

Bregman is struggling. Bagwell talked about it last night on the broadcast. He's becoming very one-true-outcome oriented. Only hitting .190 w/RISP. He should probably have 80+ RBI now.

Brantley could move into the #3 hole to at least break up the string of right-handed hitters
It's been shown ad nauseam that RISP regresses to the mean. He will be fine. Even "struggling" he is still one of the best hitters in the league.

You know 80 RBIs would be leading the league, right? He's around 10th with 63. He is one hot month away from being an MVP candidate.
tjack16
AG
Making my first Astros road trip (besides Arlington) this weekend to St Louis ... very hyped
KC_Ag14
AG
Hell, release him while we're at it. You guys can blow anything out of proportion, I swear. All I meant is that Correa coming back could help fan the flames under Bregman and possibly create an additional boost for him for the second half. My guess is everyone on this club can start to feel some degree of monotony around game #100, including him.
Beat40
Safe at Home said:

Quote:

I'm with you, why rush him on the field and potentially costing us a run in the field.

I think Bohemian gave the answer to this - so he can play in road WS games.

Problem is, you gotta win the division first and then set yourself up for post season position. Which outfielder are you willing to DH or give the day off knowing you have to get Diaz in there too at some point at the risk of costing us a run with bad defense that might lose a game and maybe cost you your goal of post season positioning?

I don't think the decision is as easy as "so he can play in a WS game" when you gotta set yourself up the best you can to have a chance to get back.
rosco511
AG
Everyone says that baseball is everything to Bregman. He eats, sleeps, and lives baseball. He is currently a top 10 offensive player in MLB, Given all of this, I doubt that he is at all that impacted by whether Correa is in the lineup.
First Page Last Page
Page 674 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.