***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,178 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
astros4545
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have they announced what Lucroys suspension is since he was blocking the plate?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
astros4545 said:

Was the concussion and broken nose not enough for you?
Bulldog73
AG
If he doesn't block the plate, none of it happened. And no, I never want someone to get hurt like that, but the injury is at a minimum as much Lucroy's fault as it is Jake's.
iBrad
AG
So if Jake is attempting the same slide to the back of the plate and Lucroy slides over in front of him without the ball causing Jake to spin back inside and the same contact occurs, does Jake get suspended?
Harry Dunne
Regardless of where you stand on Jake's intent, this is MLB's fault and no one else's. Starting with the strike zone all the way to challenges and reviews, rulings are so subjective and not enforced it to the letter of the law. Once again they have put a rule out there and enforced it inconsistently.

I don't really care what they make the rule as long as the players know that it will be enforced accurately and can adjust accordingly.
mwm
When Torre played, he was a catcher so he's going to protect "his own".

No way Jake should get two games. He needs to appeal (and accept a one game suspension).

I am anxious to hear from Lucroy himself on this whole affair. Is he honest and take some of the blame on himself or does he weenie out like Torre and the wusses in NY?
75AG
AG
Jake should immediately appeal, lawyer up, and fight it until we play the Orioles in August. If necessary, give in then and accept a 1 day suspension.
Harry Dunne
It sucks as a matter of principle, and he should definitely appeal but Jake has been ice cold since the beginning of June and it wouldn't be the worst thing for him to sit a couple of games.

I'm not sure about this but I think he's allowed to accept the minor-league assignment and play a couple of games in RR, which might help us swing a little bit. I remember Manny Ramirez playing in the minors while he was suspended, but rules might have changed.
Marvin
AG
I think it was just too violent of a collision for baseball not to take action- to discourage similar contact in the future if nothing else.
Farmer1906
AG
He wants to play them so he can pad his stats.

It's annoying he's suspended but it's no big deal. I don't think he deserves it but the result is what baseball is looking at.
Unemployed
AG
If Lucroy didn't get hurt, nothing would've come out of it.

And Ausmus can kiss my ass.
n_touch

Quote:

Good thing is if he tried he would only succeed about 25% of the time.
The Lost
Marvin said:

I think it was just too violent of a collision for baseball not to take action- to discourage similar contact in the future if nothing else.
This, appeal it to one or something and move on. At least it wasn't an absurd 5-10+ like some on twitter were calling for (which was insane).
mazag08
AG
n_touch said:

Quote:

Good thing is if he tried he would only succeed about 25% of the time.
mwm
I do not object to Jake sitting a couple of days at the direction of the Club. What I object to is the League making Jake sit for something that was not his fault or his choice. In that fraction of a second, I don't think there was any way for Jake to change course & not collide with the catcher.

Collisions are a part of the game whether Torre likes it or not. Outfielders and infielders collide all of the time going after a batted ball. Base runners will sometimes collide with fielders who are attempting to field a batted ball. There is often contact when a player slides into second base on a steal attempt. Yet, no suspension is imposed in any of those scenarios (although the runner maybe called out...but that's different than a suspension).

What Torre/MLB/NY has done is to impute Jake with the intent to cause a collison/injury. Torre's not smart enough to know what Jake was thinking.

What happened Sunday was nothing like the collision between Pete Rose and the catcher he trucked (I've forgotten his name...Ray???). Was Rose suspended in that case?

If Jake accepts the suspension, he should consider doing so after an appeal so that he doesn't play in Anaheim. If the Angels retaliate, then it'll be clear. I wonder what Torre will do if the Angels plunks George or Jose or Michael or Yordan?

Edit: it was Ray Fosse that Rose trucked in the 1970 ASG. Go look at the video...it may look a whole lot like what happened Sunday.
dshedd41
S
mazag08 said:

That's absolute horse *****
Absolutely agree with you.
Gig’em Aggies!
12law
AG
Torre said Jake didn't have the intent...but suspended him anyways? MLB should only suspend players when it's intentional.
75AG
AG
12law said:

Torre said Jake didn't have the intent...but suspended him anyways? MLB should only suspend players when it's intentional.
THIS! It's no different that a runner and a SS colliding while the SS is trying to field a grounder and the runner is trying to get to 3rd. It's a collision. It happens.
n_touch
Anyone going to the game tonight? Shane Smith & The Saints are doing the National Anthem.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
It sounded to me like "we know he didn't mean to do it, but we have to set a precedent and send a message, so take a few games off".
CFTXAG10
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

It sounded to me like "we know he didn't mean to do it, but we have to set a precedent and send a message, so take a few games off".
The key word here
Gramercy Riffs
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

astros4545 said:

Interesting logic. If Jake had suffered a broken nose as well, would you have suspended him?
n_touch
And fined him
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

astros4545 said:

Interesting logic. If Jake had suffered a broken nose as well, would you have suspended him?
I'm not responsible for suspensions. Just seems silly to discuss a suspension for a guy who took the brunt of the pain and is already gonna be out for a while. Seems like a de-facto suspension.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

n_touch
So if the drunk driver is injured then he gets off with no punishment?
bearkatag15
AG
n_touch said:

So if the drunk driver is injured then he gets off with no punishment?
Jake was drunk when he ran over Lucroy??? That changes everything in his situation
CFTXAG10
AG
I know this is a rare occurrence, but what if something like this happens to a team in the playoffs? With the precedent now set, intent be damned, you are going to have to suspend the offender for 2 games.
n_touch
Never said that. My question is in regard to what was posted before.

Quote:

Just seems silly to discuss a suspension for a guy who took the brunt of the pain and is already gonna be out for a while.
Just because he took the blunt of the hit does not mean he did everything within the rules. If you are going to punish one person for breaking the rules then follow it for both parties.
Ag_07
AG
Thank God we got baseball starting back up in 4 hours
mwm
So, you're going to get suspended for colliding into a catcher who was blocking the plate without the ball or making "slanty" eyes.

Which would you prefer to get suspended for?

Torre needs to find a new gig.
Marvin
AG
Ag_07 said:

Thank God we got baseball starting back up in 4 hours

Amen. Derail is imminent, otherwise.
CFTXAG10
AG
bearkatag15
AG
Looks great except for the obvious...
dshedd41
S

Gig’em Aggies!
First Page Last Page
Page 550 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.