***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,499 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Post removed:
by user
Buck Compton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Maybe not.

So they're probably super close in talks. Just like before the NFL draft, I don't believe a thing reported until a trade is done.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
For me as a teenager, Ball Four was a revelation about life in the bigs. I heartily recommend reading it.
Farmer1906
AG
2018 Mets - 47.5% winning % with a 150 M Payroll
2019 Mets - 44.4% winning % with a 158 M Payroll after adding Cano, Diaz, Familia, Ramos, Wilson, & Broxton.

For the team who probably had the most exciting offseason out of SD & PHI, it does look pretty insignificant to results. They're probably worse off with some of the contracts they're locked into. I guess this is a nice example of not spending money to spend and making savvy moves.

Now give us deGron or Thor.
McInnis
AG
Quote:

For me as a teenager, Ball Four was a revelation about life in the bigs. I heartily recommend reading it.
Same for me, I read it as a teenager but kind of wished I had waited until I was older. It was the end of innocence for me as a sports fan.
irish pete ag06
AG
One of my buddies worked the visiting clubhouse in Arlington for a few years. The stories he had. Wow. (In a similar vein of Ball 4)
CFTXAG10
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Something popping off here?

We haven't officially named a starter for tonight have we?
bearkatag15
AG
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-trade-deadline-examining-possible-trade-candidates-on-every-non-contending-team/

This is a pretty good summary of all the teams that could be selling at the deadline and each teams tradeable assets.

For the reliever market my wish list is:
Shane Greene - Tigers
Sean Doolittle - Nationals
Will Smith - Giants
Greg Holland - DBacks

Starters are the usual suspects:
Madbum
Stroman
Thor
TonySoprano
IMO. Stroman will be the best value. We will have to give up a lot to get Thor. MadBum is getting up there in age.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah you'd have to give up a lot to get Thor but he's making $6M this year and arb eligible for the next 2

If we added him we could let Cole walk for the crazy money he wants, re-up on George, re-up on Miley, and roll with a 2020 rotation of...

JV
Thor
Lance
Miley
*Insert young arm or random acquisition*

It's a situation where I think giving up a big haul would certainly be justified.
TonySoprano
Thor would be pretty incredible with our coaching staff.
mazag08
AG
This really isn't hard. I do it in MLB The show every season..

You package together a young position player with B potential with a very young pitcher with A potential and the other team always says yes.

So Fisher and Whitley with a throw in of White or Kemp, and boom! You get Thor.
bearkatag15
AG
Quote:

re-up on George, re-up on Miley
George at 4 years $80mm??
Miley at 3 years $30mm??

Would it take more to keep George?

That too much for Miley?
07ag
AG
is today a make up game? otherwise why is there only one game today?
https://ts.la/eric59704
Beat40
07ag said:

is today a make up game? otherwise why is there only one game today?

MLB wants to showcase future Hall of Famer, Odor.
Farmer1906
AG
Isn't Madbum like 29?
The Milkman
AG
SlimAG2 said:

IMO. Stroman will be the best value. We will have to give up a lot to get Thor. MadBum is getting up there in age.
When did 29 become "getting up there in age"?
Teddy Perkins
AG
Safe to assume that Jake is in the clear from the MLB for the Lucroy play?
E
AG
The Milkman said:

SlimAG2 said:

When did 29 become "getting up there in age"?

This is TexAgs, so if a prospect is t an All-Star by age 21 he is garbage and needs to be tradebait. 29 yrs old? Might as well be sitting in a rocking chair on his front porch shaking his fist at youngin's playing their raps too loud driving by.

Whitley and Tucker, step it up!
redline248
AG
Just like when the guy who regularly has 200 hits/year goes 0-4 and needs to stand closer to the plate
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

2018 Mets - 47.5% winning % with a 150 M Payroll
2019 Mets - 44.4% winning % with a 158 M Payroll after adding Cano, Diaz, Familia, Ramos, Wilson, & Broxton.

For the team who probably had the most exciting offseason out of SD & PHI, it does look pretty insignificant to results. They're probably worse off with some of the contracts they're locked into. I guess this is a nice example of not spending money to spend and making savvy moves.

Now give us deGron or Thor.
The Mets right now kinda remind me of the Astros in 2008-10 when we were hoping guys like Pudge, Tejada and Matsui could mask some serious holes in our roster. We wanted to give the core of Oswalt, Berkman, Pence, etc a chance to win but it was flawed from the start. We ended up dealing all of them. Mets should consider doing the same.

Gimme DeGrom and let him anchor our rotation with Verlander for a while. I like Thor and would be happy if we picked him up, but DeGrom is on another level IMO. Would happily give up Whitley and any other prospect who isn't a 6'6" Cuban for him.
Farmer1906
AG
Keep in mind deGrom is owed 23-33.5-33.5 over the next 3 years. We might as well sign Cole and not give up prospects.
Deluxe
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Quote:

re-up on George, re-up on Miley
George at 4 years $80mm??
Miley at 3 years $30mm??

Would it take more to keep George?

That too much for Miley?

I don't think Miley will get three years unless he wants to keep it very cheap on an AAV basis. Keuchel couldn't even get a third year. I think 2 years/$12 million probably retains Miley.

I think George will be closer to 5 years, $125 million, especially if he continues to play at an MVP level. Understand that's alot for a guy who will be 31 when he enters free agency and has some injury concerns though.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Keep in mind deGrom is owed 23-33.5-33.5 over the next 3 years. We might as well sign Cole and not give up prospects.
I didn't realize the escalation. There's obviously some value in having all three for the remainder of 2019 but I can see why you wouldn't necessarily want to empty the farm to make it happen.
Ag_07
AG
Completely agree on DeGrom but I don't think NY is going to make himavailable,

I don't think NYM are in complete rebuild mode and they just locked him for a few more years so he oculd anchor their staff.

Plus as cheap as Syndergaard is he would fetch the better prospect haul.

I just don't them dealing DeGrom.
Farmer1906
AG
I think we can get Boyd or Stroman without giving up Tucker or Whitley. They good, not elite. They cheap. They're under control. I want them more than Thor or deGrom due to what it takes to give up.
Ag_07
AG
Based what you're getting yeah probably not worth Tucker or Whitley but I have a sneaky suspicion they Yanks and Twins could drive the price up for these guys in a bidding war.

And I don't know what they deal with Boyd is. From some stuff I've read people tend to think that Tucker would need to be included. I don't see it
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

The Tigers are reportedly willing to listen to offers on breakout lefty Matthew Boyd, but Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that the team has unsurprisingly placed a sky-high asking price on the southpaw. Beck cites the four-player package sent by the Cubs to the White Sox in the Jose Quintana blockbuster in 2017 as a point of comparison in describing Detroit's early ask. That package was headlined by Eloy Jimenez and top pitching prospect Dylan Cease. If the Tigers are to deal Boyd, it seems they'd need multiple high-end prospects to headline any deal.
bearkatag15
AG
Ag_07 said:

Quote:

The Tigers are reportedly willing to listen to offers on breakout lefty Matthew Boyd, but Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that the team has unsurprisingly placed a sky-high asking price on the southpaw. Beck cites the four-player package sent by the Cubs to the White Sox in the Jose Quintana blockbuster in 2017 as a point of comparison in describing Detroit's early ask. That package was headlined by Eloy Jimenez and top pitching prospect Dylan Cease. If the Tigers are to deal Boyd, it seems they'd need multiple high-end prospects to headline any deal.

Boyd has fallen off a cliff since the beginning of June. He is rocking a 6.03 ERA in the 6 starts since June 1st. In those starts he is also averaging just 5.68 innings per start while giving up 11 of the 19 home runs he has allowed this season.

Hard pass
bearkatag15
AG
2 games for Jake

redline248
AG
The imagery of him raising his forearm is probably what did it.
n_touch
So Joe went after JV and didn't get something he liked so he took it out on Jake?
mazag08
AG
That's absolute horse *****
JABQ04
AG
MLB is some huge poosays
First Page Last Page
Page 549 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.