************* Rockets 21-22 Season thread *************

77,192 Views | 734 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AG@RICE
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?

First full year of the rebuild to a future dynasty
7nine
Texaggie7nine

Wall is out. I think this is the best move to make at this point.
7nine
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Anyone but Ben Simmons.
Guitarsoup
AG@RICE
AG
Wonder who gets traded first: Watson or Wall
Marvin
AG
Check my math, because hopefully I missed something big here.

Harden for Oladipo and '22, '23, '26 picks from Nets (plus Milwaukee pick from Cleveland?)
Oladipo for Bradley, Olynyk and a pick swap
Westbrook for Wall and a very heavily protected pick
Wall for ???

So Harden and Westbrook for Bradley, Olynyk and 4 picks nowhere close to being in the top half of the draft. Maybe they'll get something for Wall if they eat his money, otherwise this seems like a curious return.

I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
WES2006AG
AG
In. I'm much more excited for the rebuild than I anticipated I would be. Hopefully we can get the young guys a lot of minutes this year to build for run in the near future.
coastalAg
AG
Marvin said:

Check my math, because hopefully I missed something big here.

Harden for Oladipo and '22, '23, '26 picks from Nets (plus Milwaukee pick from Cleveland?)
Oladipo for Bradley, Olynyk and a pick swap
Westbrook for Wall and a very heavily protected pick
Wall for ???

So Harden and Westbrook for Bradley, Olynyk and 4 picks nowhere close to being in the top half of the draft. Maybe they'll get something for Wall if they eat his money, otherwise this seems like a curious return.

These trades also enabled the tank that put us top three and allowed us to keep the Jalen Green pick. That more than anything may end up being the biggest catalyst of the rebuild process.
AG@RICE
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

Anyone but Ben Simmons.

Read a rumor we might try to dump John wall for Simmons. I'd take that in a heartbeat if the 76ers would actually be interested in Wall.
Guitarsoup
AG
AG@RICE said:

Head Ninja In Charge said:

Anyone but Ben Simmons.

Read a rumor we might try to dump John wall for Simmons. I'd take that in a heartbeat if the 76ers would actually be interested in Wall.

Depends what else Morey demands.
Texaggie7nine
Simmons pushing the issue.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32250236/sources-ben-simmons-report-done-philadelphia-76ers
7nine
coastalAg
AG
Quite the pickle for ol Daryl. Not that Ben Simmons is blameless, but apparently attempting to very publicly trade one of your best players multiple times and piling on the blame narrative after the playoffs has consequences.

Reportedly the Sixers asked the Warriors for Andrew Wiggins, James Wiseman, No. 7 and No. 14 picks and two future first round picks. They turned down Brogdon and a 1st from the Pacers.

Hard pass.
CFTXAG10
AG
Opening night tickets purchased. Looking forward to it
knoxtom
Simmons is interesting for the Rockets. He is a good player, problem is he plays the wrong position. If Simmons would quit trying to be a PG and instead play the front court, he would be something.

Trade Wall, Christopher, and a bunch of draft assets for Simmons. I never believe in summer league, but Christopher showed he can run the point a bit this last summer and he definitely showed he is a NBA level player. Sicers would probably want him. Wall is there for salary matching and we have a LOT of draft assets and can afford to send some away..

That would give you a front court of Simmons, Wood, Sangun and whatever else is left and a backcourt of Green and Porter. Trade Gordon for a large Cherry Slurpee, fill the roster with some mid-level players, and let these guys run it out for 4-5 years. Simmons is a really good rebounder and interior defender. Green and Porter make a pretty good backcourt 3 years from now. Wood and Green would get 6-8 wide open 3pt looks a game with that roster and Sangun looks like a draft steal.

Only problem I see is that I am not sure Simmons would buy into the point power forward position and let Porter be the primary driver.
WES2006AG
AG

AG@RICE
AG
First game of preseason tonight against the Wizards.
CFTXAG10
AG
Still can't believe we got KPJ for a bag of peanuts
RebAg13
WES2006AG
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Really liked what I saw from Alperen last night. He looks legit.
AG@RICE
AG
The Rockets will safely be the worst team in the NBA again next year.

KPJ isn't really a PG. He is a 1 on 1 player that tries to get assists. I like the kids talent, but he needs a complete mental transformation if he is ever going to be a starting PG on a good team.

Jalen Green is too skinny to effectively compete in the NBA. Any above average NBA player can over power him on both ends of the floor. He needs about 2 years to grow before he is a legit NBA starter.

Daniel Theis, our big FA signing, is the least talented player on the team. He was billed as a defensive anchor, but he is pretty much useless in all aspects of the game. I already hate watching him play. I can only assume he was signed to specifically help us tank.

I think starting those 3 players together, plus a likely Christian Wood injury, will guarantee last place.

I just hope we just embrace the tank and play all 4 19 year olds 15+ minutes. We aren't moving out of last place until they improve.

coastalAg
AG
These first three games have been a bit of a mess to watch. If there is a plan on offense, they dont seem to have much interest in executing it.

KPJ has flashes where he looks great, and then seems to lose focus and composure. Green looks like a 19 year old getting his first taste of the real NBA. There will be some ups and downs, but lets see how he adjusts.

Love Sengun and Tate. Brooks needs more minutes going forward.

Should easily be the worst defensive team in the NBA.
Iowaggie
AG
coastalAg said:

These first three games have been a bit of a mess to watch. If there is a plan on offense, they dont seem to have much interest in executing it.

KPJ has flashes where he looks great, and then seems to lose focus and composure. Green looks like a 19 year old getting his first taste of the real NBA. There will be some ups and downs, but lets see how he adjusts.

Love Sengun and Tate. Brooks needs more minutes going forward.

Should easily be the worst defensive team in the NBA.
...but one of the most interesting NBA League Pass teams to watch.
CFTXAG10
AG
Got a good laugh out of this one.

Texaggie7nine
7nine
Texaggie7nine
7nine
AG@RICE
AG
A team from a red state should try to fleece the Nets for Kyrie. You can tell they are mentally "done" with him and he could probably be had for 10 cents on the dollar. It would make sense for a team with high championship aspirations to go after him, but they will be worried about losing an important cog for someone that may never play or disrupts team chemistry. In contrast, we have very little to lose at the moment.

We should try to trade EG + House + Augustin for Kyrie Irving.

Harden might want to play with EG again and we have little use for him. (I don't think they would take Wall).

If it works out poorly, who cares...we are trying to tank.

If it works out great, we got a nice high profile asset for a player we really don't want.

CFTXAG10
AG
AG@RICE said:

A team from a red state should try to fleece the Nets for Kyrie. You can tell they are mentally "done" with him and he could probably be had for 10 cents on the dollar. It would make sense for a team with high championship aspirations to go after him, but they will be worried about losing an important cog for someone that may never play or disrupts team chemistry. In contrast, we have very little to lose at the moment.

Harden might want to play with EG again and we have little use for him. (I don't think they would take Wall).

If it works out great, we got a nice high profile asset for a player we really don't want.

Kyrie
KPJ
Green
Wood
Theis

Thats sexy!
WES2006AG
AG
Kyrie has been a dumbass for a lot longer than this recent vaccine mess. Dude is talented but clearly a locker room cancer who shouldn't be around any of our young guys.
AG@RICE
AG
WES2006AG said:

Kyrie has been a dumbass for a lot longer than this recent vaccine mess. Dude is talented but clearly a locker room cancer who shouldn't be around any of our young guys.
You aren't wrong, the guy is a serious head case. I'd still trade for him though. He has the potential to add immense value (via trade or play) and we have little to lose here. We are a bad team trying to be bad. If Kyrie becomes toxic, just ban him from the facilities.
Guitarsoup
AG
AG@RICE said:

Kyrie said he would retire if traded. He has zero value and you have to give like 30mm to get him.

Then you have to deal with the complete headcase that is World B. Flat
AG@RICE
AG
Guitarsoup said:

AG@RICE said:

Kyrie said he would retire if traded. He has zero value and you have to give like 30mm to get him.

If he retires after getting traded, does his contract come off the books?

If so, then sign me up for that salary dump. We've got several of them that need to come off the books.
Ryan34
AG
Trading for Kyrie makes zero sense. Unless they'll take John Wall. We should be trading the others for more draft capital and/or young assets, Wall being the exception since no one is likely to give us that in return.
Guitarsoup
AG
AG@RICE said:

Guitarsoup said:

AG@RICE said:

If he retires after getting traded, does his contract come off the books?

If so, then sign me up for that salary dump. We've got several of them that need to come off the books.

It would not come off the books. He has about 71 million guaranteed for 2 years so you would be able to spread that over 5 years. It would save you 21 million on the books this year and 21 million next year but then you would still have 14 million of dead space on the cap for each of the next three years
Aggie09Derek
AG
I've got some seats available for opening night (and every game) - if interested DM me or email Aggie09Derek @ Gmail (mention this thread) and can save the secondary mkt fees.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.