Manchester United 2024-25 Thread

24,149 Views | 532 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Thunder18
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm honestly surprised the Glazers haven't already. The story didn't really resonate with me because I always assumed it would happen eventually.
Showstopper
AG
Ornstein saying potential De Ligt talks (I know, not very concrete, but it's Ornstein so you have to pay attention because he doesn't just say things to say things)
Dre_00
Have to say this transfer window looks a lot like the past transfer windows. Which I guess isn't surprising since only Wilcox is actually in the building of the 3 people they've hired (or want to hire) to lead the sporting organization. But if you're counting on this window putting a significant dent in the team building to do list, you're likely to be disappointed. Thus far it's a lot of rumors and no actual movement or even anything imminent. If I've looked correctly, Mount is was summer's first signing on July 5th so we're about right on track for, at best, no improvement in speed of getting things done.
Dre_00
Does this count as a transfer?

Mathguy64
AG
I try and not pay much attention to this but has any club been active?
Dre_00
After a quick glance at Transfermarkt, it looks about half...maybe a little more...of the EPL have made a signing but City, Liverpool, and Arsenal all have not. That also includes transfers made in spring for this summer but for sure a decent amount have come in the last week or two.

So yeah, if United hadn't been so horrible in the transfer window the last 15 years, then this wouldn't be a thing at all but...thus far, it doesn't look much different from previous seasons and that's not a compliment.
Showstopper
AG
Most of the signing so far have been relatively small as well. I think there are only a few over 20M. I know off the top of my head that Brentford bought a striker, and it makes you think that might be in anticipation of losing Toney (not sure where he goes, but doubt it is us).
Dre_00
No idea why United aren't making a play for Yakuba Minteh. Newcastle have to sell players by tomorrow or else they will get a point deduction under PSR rules. They clearly want to move Minteh and thought they had a deal with Lyon but Minteh nixed it because he wants to stay in the EPL. Everton was interested but Newcastle wanted Calvert Lewin in return and they couldn't agree to terms. Now it seems Newcastle are desperate.

Minteh is 19 and scored 11 goals with Feyenoord last season mostly as a right winger. Transfermarkt has his value at 16 million EUR. Newcastle bought him for 7 million. Could probably get a young, promising player in a position of need for a really good deal. I know we're not exactly loaded ourselves but that's the type of deal that should make Ineos salivate. A young, talented, relatively cheap player who can probably make your first team better from day 1 and has a lot of potential value in the future.
Showstopper
AG
Well if it makes you feel better, he appears to be moving for 33M, so it's about as much as we paid for a younger Amad. I don't think we could pay that for a prospect this year.
Dre_00
That does make me feel better actually. How were Everton ever in the running for a guy that went for 33 million?
Dre_00
Newcastle and United agree on compensation for Ashworth and is expected to start immediately. I presume that United did not raise their offer and that Newcastle's PSR pressure played a big role in them agreeing to a fee.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5416244/2024/07/01/dan-ashworth-manchester-united/

Dre_00
Reading a piece on Mainoo and I didn't realize we had a Shaolin Soccer player on our team.

Quote:

"He used to throw the ball up, do an overhead kick and volley it into the net, then somehow land back on his feet. He was about nine.

"From the minute he walked through the door, all the young boys, aged six and seven, would shout, 'Kobbie's here! Kobbie, will you do it?'. He'd go on the pitch and do it like three or four times. Every time, blast it in the net, perfect, then land back on his feet. Oh my god. One of those things I'll never forget. That tells you he is a gymnast."
Dre_00
The de Ligt rumors are heating up. First Romano saying United had reached out to the player to gauge his interest. Now the Athletic reporting that United have contacted Bayern.

Media will likely rip United if they make this transfer especially if it's for a high fee (claiming it as another soon to be failed ETH transfer), but if there is an opportunity to get him for something less than 50 million GBP (Transfermarkt has his value at about 55 million GBP), then could be a very good pickup. Still only 24 and was crazy good as a 19 yr old at Ajax (even in the CL lest we think it was just the Eredivisie effect). Doesn't seem to be first choice at Bayern anymore so could be an opportunity.
Showstopper
AG
[I was late on Ashworth; sorry I skipped that message because I thought it was old]
Rumor mill churning hard over de Ligt, Zirkzee, and Ugarte. With the new fiscal year starting, Branthwaite looking less likely (which is fine with me, I'm still not a big fan).
Showstopper
AG
And in other office news, the new kit deal is Ed Woodward's and the Glazers' wet dream: $75M per year with no penalty for not making Champions League.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5604561/2024/07/01/manchester-united-snapdragon-sponsorship-news/?source=user_shared_article
Dre_00
Honestly, United should probably charge more for not making the CL. I think more people talk about/hate watch United when we suck than they do when we are actually good.
Dre_00
Non internationals report back for training next week. Someone break into Carrington and record the first Sancho/ETH interaction.
Dre_00
And apparently, United have signed Christopher Vivell to an initial short term appointment as Director of Recruitment. Former Leipzig and Chelsea employee. Lots of new people joining to help with transfers. Let's see if it actually helps with this summer's transfers.
Dre_00
I recently stumbled upon this.

https://www.thetransferflow.com/

It is led by a guy who started StatsBomb and was a big part of Brentford's talent identification that eventually led them to the EPL. You can sign up for a (currently) free daily email that has some interesting pieces on talent assessment and identification and a breakdown on plausible rumors regarding fit, value, etc. Good reads if you're interested in that kind of stuff.

Anyway, to keep this United related, they have had some thoughts about both Ugarte and De Ligt as potential United additions. To summarize, Ugarte is effectively a ball winning midfielder who will run and press like hell but is poor in contributing in possession. His passes are very simple and he can't progress the ball. Would be a departure from what ETH has traditionally looked for in that position.

De Ligt is, surprising to me, well below average in tackles and in interceptions. But he's well above average in aerial duels, passing and progressing the ball. If they are able to acquire both, it actually pairs together quite nicely and would indicate improvement in building a squad. De Ligt and Lisandro are your ball progressers from the back to connect with Mainoo and Bruno. Ugarte there to be ball winning defensive shield in front of the backline and to press, close down, and harry.
Dre_00
ETH contract officially extended to 2026. Surprised it's only a 2 yr contract. But he keeps his transfer veto authority.

Maybe the most exciting part of the announcement was Ashworth quotes. He's in the building baby!
Showstopper
AG
His existing contract had a one year extension clause already, and I think they just exercised that clause.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
DVB to Girona for $500k. Deal could escalate to 4/5 million based on appearances
Dre_00
Apparently the "easy" add ons take it to 4/5 million EUR and total add ons can be 15 million. Also a big sell on clause.
Showstopper
AG
I really hope those Gareth Southgate rumors were The Sun- level reporting. He's so bad. I literally think you could put manager names in a hat, draw one, and do better.
Mathguy64
AG
With Shaw on late, I'm patiently waiting for him to pull something.
Showstopper
AG
Extra time is definitely not what I wanted to see re:Shaw.
Showstopper
AG
This is about as close as you get to deal done/here we go (although that's Fabrizio's thing) for Zirkzee.
Dre_00
Still seems to me that they will either ask him to play in way that he hasn't typically played or they'll change their attack when he plays. Assuming this actually happens.
Showstopper
AG
I am a little surprised, but it sounds like Varane is going to a recently promoted (I think) Italian club

I know he had injury problems and you can't justify 300-360K per week, but… man, for, say, 100K-150k, which is probably still more than Como, he looks pretty good to me. Obviously the market disagrees, however.
Dre_00
Romano reporting that Marseille have submitted an official bid for Greenwood and they are "confident" in getting a deal done. He mentions a "really big" sell-on fee in the range of 40-50%.

If United stick to their valuation, then it will likely require a 40-50% sell-on fee to get the new decision makers on board. I could see something like 20-25 million with a 50% sell-on fee.
Dre_00
Dre_00 said:

Still seems to me that they will either ask him to play in way that he hasn't typically played or they'll change their attack when he plays. Assuming this actually happens.

Thinking about this more, Zirkzee likely would take McTominay's place when ETH wants to go strikerless/false 9/shadow striker as he did late on in the season. That would probably be his most natural role within a starting 11 that ETH has previously entertained. How often he sets up like that is anyone's guess.
Dre_00
Athletic reporting that United have offered 45 + 5 for Branthwaite. Highly unlikely Everton goes for that. Just a question of whether they refuse it outright or send a counter-offer of something other than 70 million.

I've seen this play before and it feels like a waste of time. United are either going to pay 60+ or they won't. The sooner we get to that decision the better.
Showstopper
AG
[too late]
I hope we walk away. Everton are comparing Branthwaite to Maguire, Fofana, and Gvardiol. Two were mistakes in hindsight.
Showstopper
AG
Dre's favorite player (likely) selling for 27M.

Not Fabrizio/Ornstein, but Wheeler is better than a regular Daily Mail rando, if that makes sense (Daily Mail makes you pay attention to author). Some people are saying big sell on clause being negotiated; this is pretty gossipy, so grain of salt.
Dre_00
Yeah, Romano had it first I think. Confirming again this morning a 30 million EURO fee with 40-50% sell-on clause. Maybe United counter with like 32 or 35 million EUR but that initial offer seems quite strong and reasonable relative to their initial valuation especially if that sell-on clause is on the entire future fee and not just the incremental difference between what he's sold for today and his next transfer fee. If it's the former and not the latter, the potential upside is very large.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.