Manchester United 2024-25 Thread

23,545 Views | 521 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Mathguy64
Showstopper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ornstein calling deal to Chelsea likely now
Dre_00
There's so much lobbying and manipulation done through the media on deadline day that I always assume everything is crap until either the club announces something or the day ends. But that's also what makes it fun.

Latest is United are happy to keep Sancho if Chelsea don't meet their terms. Sounds like United aren't happy with the buy option on the table.

There was a small rumor earlier in the day that Carney Chukwuemeka would come the other way in a separate deal, not Sterling. That would have been super interesting but seems like they never really had any legs.
Mathguy64
AG

Dre_00
Um, now United "expect" to get Ugarte done before the deadline. I don't think I've seen the club announce McTominay's departure yet...could this be an epic transfer that never actually happens? Seems odds to leave it to the last 4 hours of the window.
Showstopper
AG
Here you go
Dre_00
Not gonna lie...room got a little dusty when young Scott and young Marcus came on the screen.

Showstopper
AG
Now we are posting memes of times we make official announcement
Showstopper
AG
Official Ugarte tweet
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Dre_00 said:

Not gonna lie...room got a little dusty when young Scott and young Marcus came on the screen.

Part me wishes we didn't have to see him go. He's not the player United need right now but he's the kind of person you want at your club. Hope he does well the rest of his career
AG
Also looks like Sancho to Chelsea is going to happen. Really hope that doesn't come back to bite us in the ass
Showstopper
AG
Ornstein and Romano have both said Sancho to Chelsea set (here we go)

Showstopper
AG
Lot of people saying fee is about 25M GBP.
Showstopper
AG
In typical Chelsea fashion, they've done a lot of business on wingers and attacking midfielders and stuck with Nicholas Jackson as their striker. Maybe Sancho can play false 9.
Mathguy64
AG
Chelsea shipped Sterling off the Arsenal. And by shipped I mean pawned off.
Aston94
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Also looks like Sancho to Chelsea is going to happen. Really hope that doesn't come back to bite us in the ass

I mean he is going to be a self-involved player wherever he goes. I hope for his sake he succeeds but it was the wise decision to move him on. It wasn't going to work at Old Trafford.
Dre_00
I'm guessing he has some familiarity with Maresca from their City days? But maybe they didn't overlap. No clue how he's going to get an extended run of games given how many wingers Chelsea has.

The 25m obligation means that United will just about break even once you depreciate the initial transfer (73m). PSR is wild.

So yeah, that reconciliation with EtH was for show. Neither party ever had any intention of him staying at United this season. Not that I'm complaining about how they went about it. Worth a try to convince the market that you're not desperate to sell.
Showstopper
AG
Pretty funny
AG
Dre_00 said:

I'm guessing he has some familiarity with Maresca from their City days? But maybe they didn't overlap. No clue how he's going to get an extended run of games given how many wingers Chelsea has.

The 25m obligation means that United will just about break even once you depreciate the initial transfer (73m). PSR is wild.

So yeah, that reconciliation with EtH was for show. Neither party ever had any intention of him staying at United this season. Not that I'm complaining about how they went about it. Worth a try to convince the market that you're not desperate to sell.

I just read somewhere the 25m doesn't include an initial upfront loan fee. Believe 5-10m is being reported. So overall the deal is in the 30-35m range?. And Chelsea are covering his wages which, shockingly, were pretty high. Either way, glad to move on from him
Dre_00
Athletic has a good in depth review of the window. Hard to ask for anything more from a transfer perspective. Holes remain of course but they upgraded at RB, CB, CM, and CF. They did so at good value. They also got rid of some deadweight for pretty good value all things considered (Greenwood and Sancho). And also added some interesting youth talent in Kone and Martin (could I guess include Yoro in this though he clearly is already first team ready).

CM and RW would be my next positions to focus on. Mainoo is still being asked to do way too much and his backup is an out of position Mount or Eriksen. Amad and Antony on the right is lacking in experience and talent. A 3rd option at CF and a LB would be next on my list.
Aston94
AG
Best window they have had in a long time. Addressed needs and didn't overpay. Our roster is better than it was at the beginning of the window.
Showstopper
AG
There were some videos that came out late in the week showing Mctominay at the Naples airport.

They are really excited about Mctominay. This one has sound at the airport rather than voiceover by a Sky Sports anchor.

Showstopper
AG
Zirkzee starts in place of Mount, de Ligt over Maguire. Think remainder the same.

Edit: Garnacho over Amad
Mathguy64
AG
Thank goodness for "factual" offside.
Showstopper
AG
Marcus can't jog back against Trent
Mathguy64
AG
This playing out of the back is going to end badly.
Showstopper
AG
Not sure what Casemiro thought he saw with that pass… two white shirts…
Showstopper
AG
This is not going well
Mathguy64
AG
This midfield is brutal. It's shambolically bad.
Showstopper
AG
Mainoo has been Ok..

We needed to get that Ugarte deal done a little faster.
Showstopper
AG
I'm a jinx, Mainoo booked.
Thunder18
AG
Hopefully this is the last time we see Casemiro starting a big league match
Mathguy64
AG
In 50 minutes of playing time, I can honestly say I have no idea what the offensive strategy was. That was a horrid half of soccer.
Showstopper
AG
Dre_00
Missed the first half though looking at the score and the conversation it's hard to say that I really missed it.
Showstopper
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.