* Liverpool 2024-2025 thread *

10,274 Views | 202 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by jeffk
AG@RICE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The lack of signings in year 1 of Slot isn't the worst outcome. I'm not sure he fully knows what he has in terms of talent and system yet. Better to stand pat than to blow 50+ million on a guy who doesn't fit right. Liverpool doesn't have Manchester money so missing on a big signing is a bigger deal to us. Zubimendi might have been the perfect player, or he could have struggled with the physicality of the EPL. As much as we wanted our own Rodri, he isn't it. He isn't nearly as big or physical as Rodri, nor is he the same quality distributor. Advanced stats suggest Zubimendi is no better than Endo, so there were still big question marks around him.

Let's see how year 1 goes before we panic. If we commit to keeping SVB, then we have quality cover in all positions and a few youngsters that deserve a shot to play periodically. SVB had a really good year last season on loan and could be a suitable 4th choice CB. I don't think he is an ideal long term solution at CB, but in the short run he will do. I also love Quansah and I don't think bringing in another elite CB will help his development.

I'm not sure we have the chops to win the EPL, but I still expect us to qualify for the CL. We probably need one or two more major pieces to contend for the title, but without seeing how Slotball performs in the EPL, I'm not sure where we should spend the money.

Ideally the biggest change we could make this year is to figure out how to reduce the injury load. I love Klopp, but his style burns out players. My hope is the new regime will keep our players healthier, thus negating the need for fresh bodies.

jeffk
OregonAggie
YNWA.2013
If this was a competition on best kits, Ipswich would definitely win. That kit is beautiful. Unlike our atrocious rendition
hoosierAG
AG
Choppy first half. No shots on goal minus Trent's sailer and no real opportunities. Sloppy possession when working from the back at times and several bad giveaways. They have had much better opportunities.
jeffk
AG
I'm a sucker for Umbro gear.
hoosierAG
AG
This half is niiice
jeffk
AG
Glad the team settled in and took control of this one.

Mo now has the most matchday one goals in league history.
OregonAggie
AG
Happy with the result after the sluggish 1st half. Thankfully we have a relatively "easy" schedule to start the year and I think the boys are going to get better each week!
YNWA_AG
AG

Liverpool fan must have gotten to make this
jeffk
AG
Seriously feel like they made this just for us.
AG@RICE
AG
Joe Gomez not in the squad and tons of rumors that we are looking to sell him.

Can't say I'm excited about that. Joe is cover across the entire backline and I dont think we have the depth to lose him. I also have little confidence in this current regime to sign a replacement in this transfer window. We've done tons of selling this window and very little buying...

Losing guys like Carvalho and Clark isn't the end of the world, but losing Joe this late in the window would be a massive issue.
hoosierAG
AG
Agree, can't lose Gomez while doing zilch. But this is FSG we are talking about….
jeffk
AG
Can't recall seeing this posted here yet but it's really good. Made before the game yesterday, but you can actually see exactly the same tactics in the two goals we scored vs Ipswich.

AG@RICE
AG
I really like the way we build up under Slot. The outside backs are less exposed and have more support. Trent didn't have to do as much desperate one-v-one defending and could focus on moving forward. Nice start to the season, lets hope it holds up against better opponents.
jeffk
AG
I'm interested to see if Slot has a plan to integrate Darwin into the side. Currently, he's looking pretty spare.
OregonAggie
AG
jeffk said:

I'm interested to see if Slot has a plan to integrate Darwin into the side. Currently, he's looking pretty spare.

He was also one of the late ones to camp and he wasn't productive when I saw him in a scrimmage. I just hope he stays patient because slot utilization of him could make or break this season. Also, Jota is on a tear so if he stays healthy it's going to be tough to get in the squad
YNWA.2013
Liverpool closing in on Mamardashvili (Valencia GK). So the area of least concern on our roster
OregonAggie
AG
At this point, I almost want us to not sign anyone and probably be the first team in the history of the EPL to sign no one in a summer window. Then we win the league
jeffk
AG
Sold Bobby Clark to RB Salzburg for 10 million
YNWA.2013
Bad move imo. We reportedly have a right of first refusal as well as a 17.5% sell on clause. So if he blossoms into a worldie, we could get him back "cheaply" but I was a big fan of his last season and sad to see him go
Crispin Torque
Would love to hear from Edwards on what the actual plan is here.

It looks to me that their ambition for this season is top 4 and not much more. This being possibly our last season with Salah, VVD, Alisson, and Trent. There is a lot of work to do to avoid a major fall off at some point.
OregonAggie
AG
Of the young guys, I like Ben Doak and Bradley. The others are disposable IMO but I'm surprised they didn't just loan out Clark. I would be loaning out all of them and reassessing next year. Sep Vandenburg is going to Brentford apparently for 30M and it's in large part due to his successful loan to Mainz last year.

This summer has been so frustrating. Nothing done for the 3 soon to be out of contract stars, no incomings, and no major outgoings that could fund more transfers. I think they've just whiffed on everything they tried to do and now we're left with a roster that isn't stable for the future. Imagine if Trent, VVD, and Salah all leave for free next summer…
hoosierAG
AG
So Quansah in doubt for Sunday with an injury. But hey, no need to get another CB (or anyone besides a keeper) while we sell SVDB, Gomez, etc.
YNWA.2013
Rumours on the interwebs saying that Liverpool are prepared to offer Everton 63M GBP + 7M in add-ons for Jarrad Branthwaite. Would Everton really sell to Liverpool and would the player even want the move? For the record, I think he is a good young defender. Is he worth the 70M? Is he a better version of Joe Gomez? Of that, I am not too sure
hoosierAG
AG
Yeah, been seeing that. Agree with all on your points as well. I like him, but that price tag seems too steep IMO, especially the way FSG "value" shops and the need of at least a serviceable 6, but those opps just may be gone or don't exist now.
YNWA.2013
I mean for 70M, we'd better be getting a VvD. He was the polished, finished product when we got him. And absolutely transformed our club. Branthwaite is good but needs to develop more to even be close to being worth that. He would essentially be the 4th or 5th most expensive defender of all time behind Maguire (80M), Gvardiol (77M), VvD (75M), and Fofana (who was also 70M).
eiggA2002
AG
Again selling Gomez and buying Branthwaite just seems like a colossal waste of money. Unless that signals Virg contract talks are not going well. Still think this is 100% smoke.

Still, I just can't wrap my head around our "strategy" in this window. We are acting like a club that's under FFP scrutiny while the actual clubs under FFP investigation are spending $100MM+.

The data driven approach seems to be saying no to most everything. Maybe it's time to tweak the model!

OregonAggie
AG
YNWA.2013 said:

I mean for 70M, we'd better be getting a VvD. He was the polished, finished product when we got him. And absolutely transformed our club. Branthwaite is good but needs to develop more to even be close to being worth that. He would essentially be the 4th or 5th most expensive defender of all time behind Maguire (80M), Gvardiol (77M), VvD (75M), and Fofana (who was also 70M).

One thing to keep in mind regarding Branthwaite is the fact that he's English. He will, and should, command a higher fee because of the benefit he brings to the roster when factoring in roster selection in European tournaments. I don't know all the rules but you have to carry a specific number of homegrown players, which he is. Gomez is as well but he's likely unhappy with his lack of selection and clearly Slot doesn't rate him. Branthwaite is also 5 years younger and still moldable at the age of 22
Crispin Torque
Some rumors that Newcastle have offered 70 million pounds to Palace for Guehi too. Absolutely nuts.
aggiebird02
ttt for game day…
aggiebird02
Wow, that goal was sweeet…
ChipFTAC01
AG
Great goal by Diaz but even better pass by Jota
hoosierAG
AG
Yeah, super nice from the counter attack
AG@RICE
AG
Very measured half of football. Its clearly a different approach than last year.

The counter press strategy has largely been removed, so we aren't getting as many attacking chances. In turn, our midfielders are in a better place to recover and establish control over the game.

We need a bit more from our front 3 and I think Darwin or Cody will certainly have a big part to play in the 2nd half.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.