FIFA Women's World Cup

106,938 Views | 1107 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TRM
HTownAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Now on to South Africa v. China. I'm pretty sure China has at least one man in their starting 11.
ETA: #10 and #11 for China are definitely men.
littlebitofhifi
AG
Well this has been ugly to watch. South Africa should have at least called up Malherbe for some midfield help
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
That Australia vs. Brazil game was pretty poor showing. Those goals were a joke, only 1 of them was worth a damn. Weak PK, header with very poor defense and poor GK, a cross that happened to go in the net and an own goal? That was bad.
Grapesoda2525
I'm surprised people watch the other games. I only watch team USA really.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Only reason i watched it, daughter is sick on the couch, watched some of it during lunch (I work from home)
littlebitofhifi
AG
Some of us happen to love women's soccer. I traveled 5000 miles for this.
Rudyjax
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

I have the tv on in the background at work.
AirplaneAg09
AG
I tend to agree with you and think the quality across the board seems down this year. Maybe I'm influenced by all of the talk beforehand about how this was supposed to be the most competitive and skillful WWC ever, but some of the games have had some really poor quality play.

I would think it improves dramatically the deeper the tournament goes and the weaker teams are eliminated but I haven't enjoyed some of the marquee non-US matches as much as I have in the past.
littlebitofhifi
AG
I get what you're saying but that does seem a bit premature given that most teams have still only played one match and today was the first meeting to two teams ranked in the top 10.
AirplaneAg09
AG
Agreed, and I look forward watching as much of it as I can. If you're really over there in France for this then we need some photos!
HTownAg98
I'm laid up on the couch sick. That China/South Africa match was boring as hell.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
I like watching it, but i will be honest, it gets really tiresome with all the over selling of women's sports and so called equality between men and women. There isn't any comparison. For so called top level professional women' sports, that was really poor quality. Those goals were youth level crap.
OregonAggie
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

I have free time during the day so I get to watch quite a bit. I actually like women's soccer because I feel they play the game as more a team compared to the guys that just want to dribble by everyone. The only problem is that the pace is too slow when you have 2 bad teams.

littlebitofhifi
AG
I'm not going to bite on the equality bit because the thread will get derailed, I'll just say to each their own. I actually prefer the women's game but recognize that it is a completely different game than men's football. The athletes are slower, not as strong and that creates a different style of play that I actually prefer to watch over the men. I also can't stand the diving and antics that are waaay more prevalent in the men's game. So yes, they are different, shouldn't really be compared in terms of athletic caliber, but I still think it's a beautiful game.
littlebitofhifi
AG
AirplaneAg09 said:

Agreed, and I look forward watching as much of it as I can. If you're really over there in France for this then we need some photos!

I've been much more of a texags lurker than poster for so long that I've never figured out how to post pics but I'll work on it before we get out of group
Mathguy64
AG
Oh boy. AR flags a Scottish player for offside and the ref blows it dead. She was onside by what looked like 2 yards. Not even close. VAR can't correct that and the subsequent play leads to a goal for Japan. Yikes.
Mathguy64
AG
And now the comedy starts. The CR dropped the magic spray and backed up and looked down to pick it up and missed a corner/GK call. Rule 1 for refs. Don't take your eyes off the play.
tysker
AG
Soft penalty for Japan but defenders have to know modern strikers are great at embellishing contact.
Mathguy64
AG
If a defender puts their hands on the shoulder of the offensive player and pulls, you run the risk of that happening. Soft? Meh. It would have been reviewed and it was deemed not a wrong call. And to top it off that's possibly DOGSO.
tysker
AG
In real-time and from the camera angle, it looked embellished and soft. Camera had a partially blocked view while ref had a straight on view from behind. Probably the right call from CRs perspective. Defenders putting their hands on shoulders will always be risky.
Rudyjax
AG
mathguy86 said:

And now the comedy starts. The CR dropped the magic spray and backed up and looked down to pick it up and missed a corner/GK call. Rule 1 for refs. Don't take your eyes off the play.
Yikes. They have been told explicitly to wait. Years of non VAR kicking in I guess.
Mathguy64
AG
I don't disagree.
Giggem
AG
I'm with you. I love the women's game. You are right to say it's a completely different style of play, but that's okay. One can appreciate the men's game as one thing and the women's game as another.

I support the women's "professional" game like I do collegiate soccer because I love soccer and because I know that, for the vast majority of these women, they are playing because they love the game, not because they want to "get to the League" or get a shoe contract or otherwise inflate their egos. Other than a few of the true world stars, no one is getting rich--more likely they're sacrificing to be able to continue to play the game they love. Some of them have "real jobs" and play on their national team as an avocation. They get my great respect for that.
Mathguy64
AG
Scotland has a gripe. The defender appeared to charge through the player in the area. It would have been not a great call but Compared to the earlier call that got a PK? VAR would have reviewed it and said "not wrong" but it still.
Mathguy64
AG
Handling? I'm kind of surprised that the VAR didn't at least send it down because that's the kind of stuff that has been called. That plus not sending down the PK to look at are both strange. This has not been a well refereed game.
tysker
AG
That definitely looked like a handball in the box by Japan, no?
Mathguy64
AG
tysker said:

It certainly looked like a handling call that VAR has been consistently helping call.
Giggem
AG
mathguy86 said:

tysker said:

It certainly looked like a handling call that VAR has been consistently helping call.
Yeah, the elusive search for consistency will remain elusive, even with VAR. So long as judgment is involved, there will be inconsistency. It feels like VAR has been over-intrusive so far in this Coupe du Monde.
Rudyjax
AG
Giggem said:

mathguy86 said:

tysker said:

Yeah, the elusive search for consistency will remain elusive, even with VAR. So long as judgment is involved, there will be inconsistency. It feels like VAR has been over-intrusive so far in this Coupe du Monde.
I agree. There is no perfect system. Let the. Call it on the field. In my opinion, life was better in all sports without it.
Rudyjax
AG
I enjoyed this.

tysker
AG
Italian striker lunges between ball and sliding Jamaican defender to draw PK after VAR reviews
Mathguy64
AG
The hell? That looked all the world like a fair shoulder challenge.
littlebitofhifi
AG
Any neutrals in the stadium are now 100% behind Jamaica after that VAR nightmare scenario.
HTownAg98
Weird series of events in Jamaica/Italy match. VAR is used to call a penalty in the box that wasn't called by the ref. On the kick, the keeper blocks the kick. VAR is used again to determine that then keeper came off her line too early (she did). Penalty kick is retried, and goal is scored.
littlebitofhifi
AG
Hate that it happened so early in the match but honestly that Jamaican right back was going to get beat and drag someone down at some point. She's been beat nearly every time it's come her way plus had at least 2 bad giveaways.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.