FIFA Women's World Cup

106,513 Views | 1107 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TRM
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heads should roll for this idiocy.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Those were absolutely idiotic statements for USSF or their legal team to make.

It should be based 100000% on economics, like everything else. With supporting argument of they don't do the same work and have the same job as the USMNT as they are not the USMNT. So by definition it is different. This isn't a CPA firm where a female accountant can do a job the same or better than a male counterpart.

The fact is that the USWNT could not win a competitive match vs. an average men's college team, or likely even an elite boys high school team, immaterial though true. Doesn't mean they aren't great players, especially vs. their competition.

If we just had a USNT (not men or women, just a team), there is not one female player in the history of the sport that could play on the USMNT that didn't qualify for the World Cup. There isn't a current female player that could make the U20 MNT, maybe even U18.

The USWNT are basically arguing that the best player in the WNBA, whoever that is, should be paid the same as LeBron James. Uh, no. I don't know who the best female soccer player is in the world, but I know they could not make the roster of a bad USL team, much less MLS or a top Euro league.

They are already compensated quite well for their efforts, I don't have a problem if they feel they deserve more, but it will be a modest raise, nothing like what they are demanding / fighting for.
jeffk
AG
Somewhat complicating that argument is USSF's status as a non-profit organization. The tact they *should* take is that the men and women are compensated differently because of the structure of their professional leagues. But that makes too much sense and they already nuked any chances at having a rational negotiation with whatever "strategy" drove their latest public statements.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
The leagues have nothing to do with it as the INTL. teams play in competitions, has nothing to do with how much they get paid to play for their job in a league.

What the USSF needs to do is keep separate books for the USMNT and USWNT and they can then better measure the economics, metrics, etc. to present their arguments.

They should also then play a not-so-friendly match between the USMNT and USWNT with first team players and an huge performance based incentive to make the men play their best. When that game is 8-0 at HT the Prez of USSF should then ask Megan Rapinoe if she wants to keep playing or talking about equal pay or will just shut up and accept the fact she is already compensated really well with excellent benefits for a part-time job.....

The Women's World Cup is a TV spectacle, but it doesn't take much to get sports on TV these days.

It is completely silly. There are teenage boys under professional development contracts that get paid more in England and Germany than the first team professional women do for their job. If the best player on the Bayern frau team said she should be paid the same as Robert Lewandowski you would be able to hear the laughter in College Station.

Serena Williams, probably the best female tennis player of all time and a dominant competitor once said she could not stay on the court and compete with any male player in the Top 100 or maybe 200, something like that.

Total and complete honesty and self-awareness, the lady Aggie footballers could beat my last 40+ team, but that does not mean anything

I watch the Women's World Cup and strongly support the USWNT, but their arguments are seriously flawed.
jeffk
AG
As long as USSF helps pay NWSL salaries, the pay structures are going to be complicated to make "equal."

IMO, Players shouldn't be compensated based on comparative skill or even how much revenue their respective NTs bring in - that's not material to the goal of USSF of promoting competitive soccer at the national level.
oragator
The reason the argument is so dumb, beyond the obvious, is that their level of talent is completely irrelevant to the argument.
The only argument to be made is how much they are worth to the USSF. If the tv contact for the men's game is triple the women, or you need to pay men more to play for the team because they are risking higher salaries long term if they were to get injured, those should be easy arguments to make, without resorting to insulting ones that alienate Sponsors and fans. It's mind blowing that the argument made last week was approved by someone. One of the dumbest public statements/arguments I have ever seen,
PatAg
AG
I believe the Federation used the language they did in response to the language the lawyers for the women did
ie they matched the talk of "equal".
PatAg
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

The leagues have nothing to do with it as the INTL. teams play in competitions, has nothing to do with how much they get paid to play for their job in a league.

What the USSF needs to do is keep separate books for the USMNT and USWNT and they can then better measure the economics, metrics, etc. to present their arguments.

They should also then play a not-so-friendly match between the USMNT and USWNT with first team players and an huge performance based incentive to make the men play their best. When that game is 8-0 at HT the Prez of USSF should then ask Megan Rapinoe if she wants to keep playing or talking about equal pay or will just shut up and accept the fact she is already compensated really well with excellent benefits for a part-time job.....

The Women's World Cup is a TV spectacle, but it doesn't take much to get sports on TV these days.

It is completely silly. There are teenage boys under professional development contracts that get paid more in England and Germany than the first team professional women do for their job. If the best player on the Bayern frau team said she should be paid the same as Robert Lewandowski you would be able to hear the laughter in College Station.

Serena Williams, probably the best female tennis player of all time and a dominant competitor once said she could not stay on the court and compete with any male player in the Top 100 or maybe 200, something like that.

Total and complete honesty and self-awareness, the lady Aggie footballers could beat my last 40+ team, but that does not mean anything

I watch the Women's World Cup and strongly support the USWNT, but their arguments are seriously flawed.
That game would 8-0 at the 15 minute mark
who?mikejones
AG
oragator said:

The reason the argument is so dumb, beyond the obvious, is that their level of talent is completely irrelevant to the argument.
The only argument to be made is how much they are worth to the USSF. If the tv contact for the men's game is triple the women, or you need to pay men more to play for the team because they are risking higher salaries long term if they were to get injured, those should be easy arguments to make, without resorting to insulting ones that alienate Sponsors and fans. It's mind blowing that the argument made last week was approved by someone. One of the dumbest public statements/arguments I have ever seen,

The relative competion level for the men and women are vastly different.

It's not a strech to say the men need to be comparably more skilled than the women to acheive success. It's actually pretty accurate.

I do agree it shiuld have no bearing whatsoever on this case and is a dumb tactic to go with.
jeffk
AG
CC out.

TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

In the soccer world, isn't our women's team just about Serena Williams and the men's team just about ATP World #200 Bernard Tomic?
jeffk
AG
In all seriousness, if CC resigning is the only change that comes, I don't expect anything to really change. He didn't take this path all by himself, the board had to have signed off on it before they took action.
littlebitofhifi
AG
Yep and that's exactly what the spokesperson for the USWNT just released in her statement. This has come from the board for years and won't change quickly.
oragator
Yep.

TRM
AG
Meh. Dumb argument for the lawsuit. I didn't really want Cordeiro as president but I hope they don't make Kathy Carter president.

ETA: Cindy Cone will be the president until next February.
TheMasterplan
The more demanding crowd is definitely true though.

Love this Gatorade commercial.
joemeister
AG
As an attorney, I have some empathy for USSF over this. Legal pleadings are not written for a general audience. The attorney that drafts the pleading will look at prior case law and arguments made in similar cases and parrot that language. Employment law in the United States is full of comparisons that make very little sense to an outside observer, and may sound harsh. That being said, this PR disaster should act as a wake up call to all major brands involved in litigation and their legal counsel.

Ultimately, I think the writing is on the wall that the USWNT players will get what they are asking for. In my opinion, the federations should be split. Give the women's game control over it's own team and finances and let's see what they can do.
tysker
AG
oragator said:

Listening to the JD and the Rod (fka Americas Best Soccer) podcast yesterday, apparently the difference in skill level has a legal precedent when determining equality of wages. So while the legal argument may have made sense and had historical precedent, the optics were really really bad. JD and Rod went over it a bit and an attorney/listener called in and gave some insight.
littlebitofhifi
AG
If anyone needs a soccer fix, FS1 is re-airing my favorite match from the 2019 women's World Cup tonight.

who?mikejones
AG
Another bump to bring all relevant threads back
West Point Aggie
AG
littlebitofhifi said:

If anyone needs a soccer fix, FS1 is re-airing my favorite match from the 2019 women's World Cup tonight.

Such an unlikeable team...
oragator
Well, it didn't go like they hoped I guess.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/uswnt-equal-pay-case-dismissed-by-federal-judge-but-case-on-travel-can-go-to-trial/
TRM
AG
Back running for president of USSF

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usaw/story/4562408/carlos-cordeiro-seeks-us-soccer-president-post-2-years-after-resigning-under-pressure-sources

Quote:

Former U.S. Soccer Federation president Carlos Cordeiro is considering a run to reclaim his old position, multiple federation sources have told ESPN, with one source saying Cordeiro has made up his mind and has shared plans to run with others privately.

According to the sources, Cordeiro has received multiple nominations from the voting membership, as required as part of the presidential candidate process, and in recent days has wrestled with the decision on whether to run against current president Cindy Parlow Cone. Cone announced last August that she would seek re-election.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.