FIFA Women's World Cup

106,946 Views | 1107 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TRM
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rule 1.
Rudyjax
AG
But yeah, I saw it.
littlebitofhifi
AG
Ok last post from me tonight (I promise!) but this Behind the Crest has me so stoked. 17.5 hours until kickoff!!

Grapesoda2525
littlebitofhifi said:

Ok last post from me tonight (I promise!) but this Behind the Crest has me so stoked. 17.5 hours until kickoff!!

My two complaints about the team have been..... I think carli Lloyd should've got more playing time. She just scores goals. She's a machine.

I think we like to sit on leads a little too much. I'd try to get a 2 goal lead before reverting to defensive formations, but we've been winning so I can't complain too much I guess. Just my opinions.
littlebitofhifi
AG
I completely agree with both of those statements.
akm91
AG
I Am Mine said:

But yeah, I saw it.
Well damn, Rule 1 for those that didn't see it!
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Hand Of God
AG
Really enjoyed everyone's commentary during the tournament (even when it got testy) this month. Felt like a good mix of young, old, casual, and serious fans. Glad to see so many people actively following the women's game and supporting a consistently great US team.
Grapesoda2525
Hand Of God said:

Really enjoyed everyone's commentary during the tournament (even when it got testy) this month. Felt like a good mix of young, old, casual, and serious fans. Glad to see so many people actively following the women's game and supporting a consistently great US team.
I'll be back in time for the olympics.

The men's team is so incompetent that I don't think they're worth watching. It's inexcusable that we can't put up at least a somewhat competitive team with our resources.
Bryan98
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Hand Of God said:

The men's team is so incompetent that I don't think they're worth watching. It's inexcusable that we can't put up at least a somewhat competitive team with our resources.

Bro, do you even Gold Cup? We're in the final tonight! I mean, there was no excuse for not making 2018, but this comment is ill-timed!
PatAg
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Hand Of God said:

dont be that person here, you do it at the Mavs already
jeffk
YouBet
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Hand Of God said:

Almost complete turnover with the team and we are in finals tonight. Quit smoking weed and pay attention!
Grapesoda2525
YouBet said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Hand Of God said:

Almost complete turnover with the team and we are in finals tonight. Quit smoking weed and pay attention!
Excuse my ignorance, but does this tournament even mean anything?

The only big ticket events in soccer seem to be the olympics and the World Cup.
jeffk
YouBet
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

YouBet said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Hand Of God said:

We are playing our arch enemy from a rival perspective. Even a friendly matters when we play Mexico and this is pretty relevant from a tourney standpoint.

It's called sports! Get on the train!
DeangeloVickers
AG
Very Interesting article about Megan Raipnoe's brother

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-womens-world-cup/story/3878587/why-megan-rapinoes-brotherbrianis-her-greatest-heartbreakand-hope
Hand Of God
AG
She wished him happy birthday in her post-match interview. Hope he got to watch.
who?mikejones
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Hand Of God said:

Guess that nike commercial didnt really speak to you
bagger05
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

YouBet said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Hand Of God said:

True in women's soccer.

World Cup is the biggest thing in men's but the Olympics are not a major tourney. As far as worldwide attention I'd say it's

- World Cup
- UEFA Champions League
- Major European league championships
- European Championships
- Copa America
- Other federation championships including the Gold Cup
littlebitofhifi
AG
Like all sane individuals, I've been doing a full rewatch of every US match now that I'm back stateside (all matches on demand on Fox app if folks are interested).

I'm currently in the 51st minute of the France quarterfinal and am glad to be able to watch this one without the gut-wrenching nervousness I had in the stadium.

Anyways, only point I wanted to make is that 4.5 matches in, I don't think any of us spent enough time acknowledging Dahlkemper's performance this tournament. I remember a few kudos, but seriously she has been absolutely lock down both in her own defending and in positioning the rest of the backline. Looking forward to many more years of her anchoring.
Bryan98
AG
I became a huge fan of Dahlkemper as the tournament went on. In many respects.
wangus12
AG
I'll pass it on. I see her dad once a year.
akm91
AG
He's still in the Bay Area? I know that's where she grew up, in Menlo Park.
jeffk
AG
Didn't know where else to put this. Cordeiro released a statement and fact sheet about the US Men and Women NT Pat structure today. Seems like he's trying to lay out some facts to counter some of the public outcry/misinformation since the WC final.

littlebitofhifi
AG
And the USWNT has already countered. I know this isn't a black and white issue...there are so many nuances to the pay structure but I don't see this playing out well for USSF in the court of public opinion. Arbitration coming soon...should be interesting.
TheMasterplan
They have to play the "court of public opinion" card because the math, logic, reason and facts don't back them up. Their response is just lawyer jargon with no numbers.

Of course it makes sense to include the NWSL salaries as that's part of the entire compensation package.

Funny how apparently the USSF claim supposedly lacks context yet the USWNT claim apparently never did.
OregonAggie
AG
I couldn't stop laughing when I saw this earlier but the more I read the more it angers me. I'm all for people fighting to make more money. We all do it and it's our right to do so...but when you're just *****ing to ***** and you use the court of public opinion to coerce your employer to pay you more, I have no patience for it. I will never root for that bunch again.

They're just a bunch of idiots trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes and the numbers show they're liars. To hell with that bunch.
PatAg
AG
TheMasterplan said:

They have to play the "court of public opinion" card because the math, logic, reason and facts don't back them up. Their response is just lawyer jargon with no numbers.

Of course it makes sense to include the NWSL salaries as that's part of the entire compensation package.

Funny how apparently the USSF claim supposedly lacks context yet the USWNT claim apparently never did.
I would love for some of the media to have the journalistic integrity to present this information. Unfortunately, even if they were in fact completely neutral in their presentation, the idiots of the public would just call them sexist in an attempt to discredit them.
gougler08
AG
So aren't they really mad at FIFA for having a significantly smaller prize pool for the women vs the men (because of the money generated by the events) and are just trying to use the #metoo movement and court of public opinion to get US Soccer to pay them even more?

I hope the arbitrator sees it for what it is, but that's doubtful
who?mikejones
AG
littlebitofhifi said:

And the USWNT has already countered. I know this isn't a black and white issue...there are so many nuances to the pay structure but I don't see this playing out well for USSF in the court of public opinion. Arbitration coming soon...should be interesting.

That's a dumb response.
littlebitofhifi
AG
gougler08 said:

So aren't they really mad at FIFA for having a significantly smaller prize pool for the women vs the men (because of the money generated by the events) and are just trying to use the #metoo movement and court of public opinion to get US Soccer to pay them even more?

1) it's about much more than the FIFA prize money. The teams have different pay structures but it's also about pay per game, per diems, win bonuses (for all competitions, not just WC), etc.
2) Please don't lump this in with #metoo. The USWNT has been fighting this battle since the 90s (I recommend Caitlin Murphy's recent book if you want more history & context). They have made great strides by fighting this fight and whether or not you believe they already have or deserve equal pay, this has nothing to do with sexual harassment/assault and all gender issues should not be labeled as such.
akm91
AG
Actually FIFA pays out higher % to the WC teams for the women than the men. The problem is the size of the pie.

Quote:

The men still pull the World Cup money wagon. The men's World Cup in Russia generated over $6 billion in revenue, with the participating teams sharing $400 million, less than 7% of revenue. Meanwhile, the Women's World Cup is expected to earn $131 million for the full four-year cycle 2019-22 and dole out $30 million to the participating teams.

The women's WC generates only 2.2% of the revenue that the men's WC generates. FIFA will payout almost 23% of revenue in prize money for women compared to about 6.7% for the men.

FIFA WC Revenue and Payout
who?mikejones
AG
They actually have a much better deal than the men, so it would seem.
akm91
AG
littlebitofhifi said:

gougler08 said:

1) it's about much more than the FIFA prize money. The teams have different pay structures but it's also about pay per game, per diems, win bonuses (for all competitions, not just WC), etc.
2) Please don't lump this in with #metoo. The USWNT has been fighting this battle since the 90s (I recommend Caitlin Murphy's recent book if you want more history & context). They have made great strides by fighting this fight and whether or not you believe they already have or deserve equal pay, this has nothing to do with sexual harassment/assault and all gender issues should not be labeled as such.
Then the women should be blaming their union for the negotiating that into their current CBA.

Quote:

"The male players are paid when they play, but not when they sit," McCann said. "USMNT players must thus be on the roster to be pay eligible. USWNT players, in contrast, are guaranteed pay."
Quote:

The lawsuit from the women's team sketched out the following scenario: If both teams played 20 friendlies in a year, a top-tier women's national team player would earn $164,320 less, or "38% of the compensation of a similarly situated MNT player." That was true under the previous collective-bargaining agreement that ended in December 2016.
Quote:

The Fact Checker obtained the new agreement, which took effect in April 2017. Using the same 20-game scenario, we calculated the player on the women's team would earn $28,333 less, or about 89 percent of the compensation of a similarly situated men's team player. If both teams lost all 20 games, the players would make the same amount. That's because the men earn a $5,000 bonus when they lose and the women have a $100,000 base salary.
Why did the lawsuit use numbers from old CBA when there is a new one out?

The women would get the $100,000 salary even if they didn't play in any of the friendlies in the above scenario. The men would only get $100K (5K*20) if they were actually selected to all 20 friendly rosters.

USWNT 2017 CBA
jeffk
AG
There's some pretty obvious inequalities that I think *should* get solved in arbitration. Per diem is the example that comes to mind this morning.

But "equal pay" isn't feasible as long as the two teams are operating under such different agreements. If the women want equal game checks, they'll most likely have to lose some of their NWSL salary subsidies. I guess we'll see what they value more.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.