Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Thamel on Finebaum: "Jimbo to LSU"

39,419 Views | 243 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Pumpkinhead
AG81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ANOTHER "Jimbo", "not Jimbo" to LSU thread. The other one is 9 pages. Wonder how many pages this will go.
Post removed:
by user
Little Rock Ag
AG
Rendered Fat said:

Ok, that latest linked Thamel article on the previous page suggests that if Jimbo goes to LSU, A&M would replace him with…Sonny Dykes.

Dude.
Really? REALLY? LOL
Class of 65
AG
LSU plane left Baton Rouge last night and flew to Norman Stayed a few minutes and returned to Baton Rouge
Brent_TH
AG
I seriously doubt Jimbo would leave to go to LSU unless he just has a huge man-boner for Woodward. It's a lateral move and risky.

However, making the argument that LSU can't afford it is asinine. The top 10 revenue producing schools have so much money it's ludicrous. Like Jeff Bezos hawing with his buddies that Warren Buffet can't afford a yacht as big as his because he's still paying on his last yacht.

The guy we need to worry about getting poached for a HC position is Elko.
Double Diamond
Can you imagine going from Jimbo Fisher to Sonny Dykes.
Bunk Moreland
AJ2003 said:

Thamel? Who? Beat writer looking for followers? Yeah, I'm a pass.

Stop playing their game.

LOL. You mean National College Football reporter for Yahoo Sports?

That said, Thamel is a moron.
Macarthur
As someone that has had responsiblity for building teams and culture (of course on a smaller and less visible level), I don't think he goes because he has worked really hard to instill the culture here and it is paying off big time. He's got the culture going and it's being reflected in a huge way now in recruiting. He has this team on the verge of being the same level of Alabama and Georgia as far as talent and depth. I just have a hard time thinking he doesn't want to see this thing through and see where it can go.

Having said that, maybe he's a guy that enjoys the build and I suspect that with the recruting advantages LSU has, the build would prob be pretty quick.

I just have a hard time wrapping my head around leaving something you've got on the lip of the cup and starting over.

But that just me....

And let me add, that I am also in the camp that thinks Jimbo has danced around this question too much. If you truly are not a candidate and don't want to go, you say THAT. He hasn't done that, and I get that's part of the game, but he has allowed this to continue to be a story by getting right up to flat out denial, but not crossing that line.
dcAg
Schools dont pay coaches. Alumni/Former Students pay coaches salaries.
TexAg15
AG
dcAg said:

The university would still take a PR hit. Voters are getting pissed from what I've heard.
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2015
localag88
TexAg15 said:

dcAg said:

The university would still take a PR hit. Voters are getting pissed from what I've heard.
oh good Lord, I can't believe you took the time to type that. Money is the mother's milk of politics...with rare exception, you don't even get to the voters without having the money lined up.
davido
AG
LOL

SgtBarbarossa
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

is there a christmas tree on the curb in front of his house? if not, we're good.
In the next month or so we'll know for sure
Rule#2
dirtyhomey
Hello. Not hear to troll and I won't be around that long. But I had to post my two cents on the Jimbo to wherever talk. As an FSU fan it seemed we went thru it every year. And it seemed each year or every other year he was getting a contract extension and pay raise. To his credit Jimbo played it well, he never would confirm or deny and he would say the pr stuff, about being the coach and leaving the contract talk to his agent.

To those that say he'll never leave, or he loves it here, and he built the program why would he leave. Believe most of us FSU fans thought the same thing. Things happen though, his son was sick, his wife having an affair(s) he was butting heads with the university about upgrading the facilities. He wanted a change and he got an offer that no one could refuse and took it. FSU doesn't have the money like some other schools have. Most of the money comes from the boosters and alumni.

So just be prepared for this kind of talk. Again, it seemed like it was every year we would hear Jimbo to LSU or USC or Texas, or whatever the big name school was. One good thing if there is talk like that, he's having success. But from a fans point of view it can get aggravating, because you have to listen to it and you just don't if they're going to leave or not. One thing he could do to put people at ease would be to do what Mike Tomlin said about the rumor going to USC. Just don't kid yourselves and think he won't leave. Just try to enjoy the wins as they come. Good luck rest of the way.
Eric Forman
AG
https://twitter.com/ESPNCFB_

All 28 followers are sure to be freaking out
Macarthur
dirtyhomey said:

Hello. Not hear to troll and I won't be around that long. But I had to post my two cents on the Jimbo to wherever talk. As an FSU fan it seemed we went thru it every year. And it seemed each year or every other year he was getting a contract extension and pay raise. To his credit Jimbo played it well, he never would confirm or deny and he would say the pr stuff, about being the coach and leaving the contract talk to his agent.

To those that say he'll never leave, or he loves it here, and he built the program why would he leave. Believe most of us FSU fans thought the same thing. Things happen though, his son was sick, his wife having an affair(s) he was butting heads with the university about upgrading the facilities. He wanted a change and he got an offer that no one could refuse and took it. FSU doesn't have the money like some other schools have. Most of the money comes from the boosters and alumni.

So just be prepared for this kind of talk. Again, it seemed like it was every year we would hear Jimbo to LSU or USC or Texas, or whatever the big name school was. One good thing if there is talk like that, he's having success. But from a fans point of view it can get aggravating, because you have to listen to it and you just don't if they're going to leave or not. One thing he could do to put people at ease would be to do what Mike Tomlin said about the rumor going to USC. Just don't kid yourselves and think he won't leave. Just try to enjoy the wins as they come. Good luck rest of the way.

But you just kinda answered your own question.

Yes, A&M paid him a lot of money, but it was also about those things you mentioned: facilities, commitment, etc.

LSU certainly is a great job, but he won't leave A&M, if he does, for the same reasons he left FSU. If he does leave, it's because he wants to be in BR and thinks it's a better job, I suppose. It def won't be because of money or lack of commitment by A&M.
rbcs_2
AG
Quote:

Hello. Not hear...
Stopped reading at this point.
txaggie79
AG
rbcs_2 said:

Quote:

Hello. Not hear...
Stopped reading at this point.

Sew, your just won of far two many people knot willing to here what others have too say! :-)
TxAg76
AG
dirtyhomey said:

Kids hospital is in our backyard.
Fresh start, and remarried (and she loves it here).
No butting of heads with this university, quite the opposite.
Facility upgrades, an easy yes from our end.

Your FSU situation and ours….not the same, at all.
infinity ag
A&M is the better job than LSU, at least right now.

He has a realistic chance to become an A&M legend.

At LSU, he has to start from scratch and results more risky.
dixichkn
AG
davido said:

LOL

Del Conte must have been awfully bored this morning to create that account
dixichkn
AG
And as far as the original article…….I now react to the words "Pete Thamel" much the same way I react to the words "CNN" and "Dr Fauci".

Bored dismissal
Digital_Java
AG
Only replying to this because Nuno had idiot Pete Thamel on the show yesterday for the Lsu preview.

How come all the pundits conveniently ignore that Lsu with all it's built-in recruiting advantages were "only" able to produce 1 natty from 1900-2000 (in 1958)?

It took a legendary coach like Saban to build them into something sustainable so two other knuckleheads could win later. So yeah 3 natty's in the last 20 years is second only to Bama, but how come all of their natural, in-state advantages yielded such feeble results in the 100 years before?

aginlakeway
AG
Digital_Java said:

Only replying to this because Nuno had idiot Pete Thamel on the show yesterday for the Lsu preview.

How come all the pundits conveniently ignore that Lsu with all it's built-in recruiting advantages were "only" able to produce 1 natty from 1900-2000 (in 1958)?

It took a legendary coach like Saban to build them into something sustainable so two other knuckleheads could win later. So yeah 3 natty's in the last 20 years is second only to Bama, but how come all of their natural, in-state advantages yielded such feeble results in the 100 years before?

That wasn't Pete Thamel on TexAgs yesterday. So actually ... there was no reason for you to reply.
Digital_Java
AG
[url=https://twitter.com/RabalaisAdv?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor][/url]Sorry...meant Scott Rabalais. Got my English and Cajun confused.

Still my point stands...before Saban irrelevant and after Saban they are on par w/Bama, ND, tOSU, OU, SCal in terms of historical accomplishments?

[url=https://twitter.com/RabalaisAdv?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor][/url]
aginlakeway
AG
Digital_Java said:

[url=https://twitter.com/RabalaisAdv?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor][/url]Sorry...meant Scott Rabalais. Got my English and Cajun confused.

Still my point stands...before Saban irrelevant and after Saban they are on par w/Bama, ND, tOSU, OU, SCal in terms of historical accomplishments?

[url=https://twitter.com/RabalaisAdv?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor][/url]

OK. But this thread was about Thamel.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Rendered Fat said:

Pete Thamel just said on Finebaum that it is realistic and very possible that LSU hires Fisher from A&M. Says LSU is the better job and Woodward is going to pursue him first. Says the money doesn't matter.
Thamel went on this 'LSU is an exponentially better job than Texas A&M (Exponential!) opining spewing out the same lazy media arguments: Last three coaches at LSU have won a natty, LSU is the only school of note in their state, A&M meanwhile has to share Texas with other schools and hasn't won a natty since 1939, and thus has an unrealistic chance of ever winning a natty blah blah blah.

Apparently according to some of these talking heads, A&M has no chance of being the next Clemson (who was a 'non-blue blood' school who climbed into elite status) despite seemingly having everything in place to realistically do so in the next few years...including not only facilities and Jimbo but stacked Top-5-ish recruiting classes... Because...reasons. Like A&M is cursed or something.
Digital_Java
AG
aginlakeway said:

Digital_Java said:

aginlakeway - I stand corrected and apologize for having no valid rationale to support my input as your sagacious replies have proven.

Is this the same type of mental gymnastics you infuriate your boyfriend or husband with?

aginlakeway
AG
Digital_Java said:

aginlakeway said:

Digital_Java said:

aginlakeway - I stand corrected and apologize for having no valid rationale to support my input as your sagacious replies have proven.

Is this the same type of mental gymnastics you infuriate your boyfriend or husband with?

My wife's picture is on my profile. Maybe you can share your wife's picture as well.
rootube
AG
People, we are losing sight of the best part of this situation. The job that is EXPONENTIALLY better than A&M has now been rejected by.

Mel Tucker
Ron Franklin
Jimbo Fisher
Billy Napier

We are this close to Bill O'Brian coaching LSU . Try to enjoy it.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Bill O'brien *
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
This might be Scott Woodward's worst outcome yet. Can't get lucky every time.

If I'm LSU, I hire an interim hc for a year and start a year long search so they can strike while the iron is hot next year.

Bill o brien will set their program back years. Great for us, but Scott Woodward has egg all over his face right now.

Unless he somehow pulls off hiring Jimbo. Then I'll eat crow
Digital_Java
AG
aginlakeway said:

Digital_Java said:

aginlakeway said:

Digital_Java said:

My wife's picture is on my profile. Maybe you can share your wife's picture as well.
YES! This is the chat that proves Premium Subscribers are vastly superior in their forum posts!

After who's wife is hotter, let's also compare bank acct and zipper sizes. I also have a full head of hair and way less gray for a class of '90 so let's lay all the cards on the table. I'm going 4 for 4!
aginlakeway
AG
Digital_Java said:

aginlakeway said:

Digital_Java said:

aginlakeway said:

Digital_Java said:

YES! This is the chat that proves Premium Subscribers are vastly superior in their forum posts!

After who's wife is hotter, let's also compare bank acct and zipper sizes. I also have a full head of hair and way less gray for a class of '90 so let's lay all the cards on the table. I'm going 4 for 4!

Unsure where this anger is coming from towards another Aggie.

You posted this: "you infuriate your boyfriend or husband with"

I am unsure what you meant by that. That sure sounded like some sort of intended personal attack on me.

I don't have a boyfriend or a husband. I replied with a picture of me and my wife. That seemed to be a very rational reply to your post, so that you know I don't have a boyfriend or a husband.

So I'm unsure where this anger is coming from towards another Aggie.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.