Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Thamel on Finebaum: "Jimbo to LSU"

39,518 Views | 243 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Pumpkinhead
agent-maroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Him to LSU would be so odd.
My biggest concern would be Jimbo looking at the inherent recruiting advantages of being the head coach in a state where everybody - literally everybody - wants to play for LSU. And do they have talent stacked up in that state. Jimbo might be tempted from a pure football perspective if not from any financial rewards they could offer.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MooreTrucker
AG
FriscoKid said:

The last coach to get hired away from TAMU for a "better job" was Bear Bryant. Coaches don't get stolen from us. We fire them or they retire.

(Cross posting to this thread too because it needs repeating)

The BAS is strong.

I don't see any BAS here. Thamel is not an Aggie, and nobody here is agreeing with him. Hell, we make fun of sips for saying stupid stuff like Jimbo to LSU.
BadAggie
AG
500,000ags said:

When does a friend turn into a pimp? Woodward is just going to call and put Jimbo to work again? Jimbo wanted out of FSU and needed a fresh start, him to A&M was mutually beneficial. Him to LSU would be so odd.

Ding ding ding
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Bobaloo said:

Joe Brady would be an incredibly risky hire. He was a grad assistant only five years ago. Running a program like LSU is very challenging. He might do great but more likely to fail due to lack of experience.
There was 10 years between Grad Asst. and Head Coaching job for Mike Archer. LSU won't let that factoid get in the way if they want Brady.
Ag Tag
Weak-minded people will believe anything.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Jimbo4win said:

If Jimbo wanted to be at LSU, he would already be there. Les Miles was fired in 2016. Jimbo CHOSE A&M in 2017. Are we to believe LSU, with a job opening readily available, wanted Ed O over Jimbo? Or are we to believe they never contacted Jimbo's agent!? It can only be one of these two and BOTH are absurd! They would have given anything to have Jimbo in 2017 just like they would give anything to have him now. HE TOLD THEM NO BECAUSE A&M IS THE BETTER JOB!! How do we know? We know because elite coaches like Jimbo speak with their actions not their words.

You don't seem to know what was going on at LSU at the time. They wanted Herman and had a deal in place (or at least, a deal in principle). He reneged to go to t.u. so they went with Ed O. They had to move very fast to save face. It wasn't that LSU wanted Ed O. over Jimbo, but they wanted Herman over everyone else, and the situation at FSU wasn't as dire as it was a year later. I doubt Jimbo was even seriously considered at all by LSU and I doubt he even considered taking the position if offered. There's no evidence that I'm aware of that he turned it down.

A&M didn't even come online until after the UCLA game, the first game of the 2017 season. Before that, it was strictly message board fodder.

For now, I don't think Jimbo goes to LSU for what is essentially a lateral move, but your post is all wishful thinking.
infinity ag
Jimbo is trending to become an all time A&M legend. He has enough money. He won't leave just to start the process all over again with uncertain results.

I doubt if he would even go to Alabama if Saban retires. He would then forever be compared to King Nick.
MooreTrucker
AG
Ag Tag said:

Weak-minded people will believe anything.

Nobody here believes it. The only ones that do are sips and other idiots that don't want to see us rise.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
Anything is possible. Nobody thought Chavis would leave LSU for A&M.
texag_89
oysterbayAG said:

Jimbo loves everything about Aggieland and is comfortably settled in, having created a winning powerhouse of a program with unlimited potential. No way he starts over again at LSU or anywhere else !

This makes the most logical sense…. If he does leave, then as stated above, we thank him and move on to another coach.

aggiehawg
AG
Frederick Palowaski said:

Except Chavis and Miles. Why their contracts were written the way they were.
Little Rock Ag
AG
aggiehawg said:

Seanzy2012 said:

aggiehawg said:

FriscoKid said:

The last coach to get hired away from TAMU for a "better job" was Bear Bryant. Coaches don't get stolen from us. We fire them or they retire.

(Cross posting to this thread too because it needs repeating)

The BAS is strong.
LOL. The only two head coaches that we have fired in recent years to not hang around anyway were Fran ad Sumlin. Sherrill, Stallings and RC are still around. Bellard hung around until he died, if I'm not mistaken. (I might be missing one, wasn't Wilson in there after Bellard for a couple of years?)

ETA: Stallings and Sherrill went onto coach at other programs but came back to hang around. later.

Sherman.
My bad. I tried to put the Sherman years out of my mind. Thanks for the correction.

You may be right, though. Rumor has it that Sherm is still snoozing in the Cushing basement.
APHIS AG
Rendered Fat said:

Pete Thamel just said on Finebaum that it is realistic and very possible that LSU hires Fisher from A&M. Says LSU is the better job and Woodward is going to pursue him first. Says the money doesn't matter.
And he is delusional for he stated that at LSU, you can win an NC and at A&M, you cant. This is BS for if that was the case, Jimbo would have stayed an FSU, having won an NC there.

Also, we have the facilities, recruiting base, the fans, and the stadium that outclasses LSU.

The 12th Man proved that last Saturday.
DayAg!
S
Jimbo has been at both schools. I don't think LSU is the same fit that A&M is. And I don't think it will be about money. Jimbo aint stupid and I believe he sees what he can build at A&M. He stuck with FSU for several years begging for upgrades and support and they kept sheitting on him until he just couldn't take it anymore. Coming to A&M wasn't all about the money. He did his research and figured it out. A&M treats him like a king, and I think he is smart enough to see the difference in a school and a place like A&M vs LSU. They just ain't the same.

ps: Thamel knows d i c k.
C2 Ag 93
I think this will be the only time I'll entertain a post on this. People need to step away for a minute than go for the sportscaster babble... it's all about ratings and clicks, and an easy target to get it.

Stop for a minute and ask what your common sense tells you...

• Forbes #1 most valuable program
  • Half a billion dollar state of the art stadium
  • A ranch he often references, even includes in TV commercials
  • A real chance to win National Titles here
  • A special needs child, an hour and a half away from the Texas Medical Center in Houston
  • Making bank on par with the best compensated coaches in the country
  • Rabid fan base, more extensive network and money than LSU (hell, probably more than all SEC schools)

And yes, I believe he loves Texas A&M so much that he likely is looking to make this place his legacy as much as Saban has at Alabama. Would be crazy not to.

Stop with the drama people.
neAGle96
AG
Not sure it's been mentioned, but LSU has been under investigation from the NCAA. Most coaches are going to be reluctant to leave a good opportunity where they are established to run to a program with unknown sanctions looming
Tamu_mgm
AG
Lol Jimbo ain't going to LSU.

Now I'd be shocked if Scott Woodward didn't call Jimbo, but Jimbo ain't jumping ship.
aggiehawg
AG
neAGle96 said:

Not sure it's been mention, but LSU has been under investigation from the NCAA. Most coaches are going to be reluctant to leave a good opportunity where they are established to run to a program with unknown sanctions looming
That's kind of how we ended up with Fran, wasn't it? He was hired by Bama but they didn't tell him they had NCAA issues looming? Or am I misremembering that?
neAGle96
AG
Nm
neAGle96
AG
aggiehawg said:

neAGle96 said:

Not sure it's been mention, but LSU has been under investigation from the NCAA. Most coaches are going to be reluctant to leave a good opportunity where they are established to run to a program with unknown sanctions looming
That's kind of how we ended up with Fran, wasn't it? He was hired by Bama but they didn't tell him they had NCAA issues looming? Or am I misremembering that?

I believed that is correct and why they had to "settle" for Mike Price
TAM85
Charlie Murphy said:

TAM85 said:

Vandy to Penn State to LSU is not a logical progression.

How is it not? If anything, it's exactly a logical progression.
Franklin grew up, played high school ball, played college ball, and began coaching at schools outside of Philly. LSU is a long ways from there. Penn State is likely on his short list of dream jobs. LSU is also a long ways from Penn State and Vandy culturally and academically.
DallasAg03
AG
aggiehawg said:

90ags said:

LSU misses Aranda as OC (he pushed peferction out of Burrows and the WRs corp)....if he continues to do well at BU, he'll climb up some charts.

LSU is easier to recruit...LA HS kids will pick LSU at a very high clip....on a per capita basis, more talent comes LA than any other state. It's the reason coaches go to LSU as talent isn't difficult to recruit (they don't need a $10M coach for that as even Coach O is recruiting well).

They need development and LSU staff has turned over a ton as those coaches have been poached.
Aranda was DC. Joe Brady was OC when Burrows was there.

I thought Joe Brady was the passing game coordinator
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
is there a christmas tree on the curb in front of his house? if not, we're good.
Bonfire1996
AG
Jimbo is buying cattle at a solid rate. He loves his ranch. He ain't going nowhere.
DallasAg03
AG
Bonfire1996 said:

Jimbo is buying cattle at a solid rate. He loves his ranch. He ain't going nowhere.

Jimbo ain't leaving but he ain't staying bc of a cattle ranch he could fly to on the weekends.
aggiehawg
AG
DallasAg03 said:

aggiehawg said:

90ags said:

LSU misses Aranda as OC (he pushed peferction out of Burrows and the WRs corp)....if he continues to do well at BU, he'll climb up some charts.

LSU is easier to recruit...LA HS kids will pick LSU at a very high clip....on a per capita basis, more talent comes LA than any other state. It's the reason coaches go to LSU as talent isn't difficult to recruit (they don't need a $10M coach for that as even Coach O is recruiting well).

They need development and LSU staff has turned over a ton as those coaches have been poached.
Aranda was DC. Joe Brady was OC when Burrows was there.

I thought Joe Brady was the passing game coordinator
You are technically correct as Ensminger was the titular OC but Brady was mostly running the show. Ensminger was having some health problems before he retired.
Double Diamond
Recall when Ensminger was gonna fix RC's offense.
MooreTrucker
AG
DallasAg03 said:

Bonfire1996 said:

Jimbo ain't leaving but he ain't staying bc of a cattle ranch he could fly to on the weekends.
You determined to prove that he's leaving?
DallasAg03
AG
MooreTrucker said:

DallasAg03 said:

Bonfire1996 said:

?????
MooreTrucker
AG
DallasAg03 said:

MooreTrucker said:

DallasAg03 said:

Bonfire1996 said:

?????
Well, you seem to be arguing against reasons that he'd want to stay.
DallasAg03
AG
MooreTrucker said:

DallasAg03 said:

MooreTrucker said:

DallasAg03 said:

Bonfire1996 said:

?????

Calm down pal, Jimbo ain't leaving.
MooreTrucker
AG
DallasAg03 said:

MooreTrucker said:

DallasAg03 said:

MooreTrucker said:

DallasAg03 said:

Bonfire1996 said:

?????

Oh I know. I'm not one that even entertains that idea.
DallasAg03
AG
MooreTrucker said:

DallasAg03 said:

MooreTrucker said:

DallasAg03 said:

MooreTrucker said:

DallasAg03 said:

Bonfire1996 said:

?????

Oh I know. I'm not one that even entertains that idea.

you should read the post, chief
agwin12
AG
Frederick Palowaski said:

Sure wish he had stayed at LSU.
"A life lived for others is a life worthwhile" - Albert Einstein
MooreTrucker
AG
Never mind. Not worth it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.