Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Thamel on Finebaum: "Jimbo to LSU"

39,644 Views | 243 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Pumpkinhead
Cassius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
90ags said:

LSU misses Aranda as OC (he pushed peferction out of Burrows and the WRs corp)....if he continues to do well at BU, he'll climb up some charts.

LSU is easier to recruit...LA HS kids will pick LSU at a very high clip....on a per capita basis, more talent comes LA than any other state. It's the reason coaches go to LSU as talent isn't difficult to recruit (they don't need a $10M coach for that as even Coach O is recruiting well).

They need development and LSU staff has turned over a ton as those coaches have been poached.

Yeah, a good DC always gets the most out of a QB.
JunctionNephew
I believe that A&M played the foundation for Jimbo's son situation par excellent. FSU dropped the ball big time and A&M donors not only rose to the occasion and continue to do so.

Don't discount that act of kindness.

Jimbo remembers.

Gig'em
“I can’t die....God doesn’t want me yet and the devil has a restraining order against me.”
TopoTacos
AG
Gotta stay away from the clickbait.

I'm sure Woodward calls Jimbo's agent... but I'd be very surprised if LSU is that committed to bringing him over. Jimbo has just finished setting up his recruiting pipeline, has just pulled off the win that will get him ANYTHING he wants from the athletic department (including assistant salaries) , and by all accounts seems to be having a great time in Aggieland.

An offer that actually moves the needle is gonna have to be such a godfather offer with no strings that it completely overshadows the position itself.
Ian Neff
AG
If the idiot sips can work their way into the SEC, anything can happen.

I just hope it doesn't.
DE4D
AG
I love your confidence....

My LSU fam text me to congratulate me on saturday.

Which is to say, if you think the culture between the actual student bodies is different, you are severely misunderstanding LSU at its core.

Louisiana, Baton Rogue, ... sure....

But the University, nah bro, same same. All the way down to the Engineering program, ROTC, vet school, and ag departments.
Sterling82
Law Hall 69-72 said:

Thamel said that he didn't think it would happen, but Jimbo would be at the top of Woodward's list. He said one reason that Jimbo might take it is that Saban, Miles and O all won national championships at LSU and that is much easier to do at LSU than A&M. He didn't think money would be an issue for LSU.

Thamel saying this basically discredits everything he writes. I don't believe for a second that LSU is currently better positioned to win a national title.
StinkyPinky
AG
He tries not to show it, but Jimbo is giddy as a MFer at the moment. He will finish what he started. You can tell he recognizes and embraces the fit. Just my gut. I think he stays for a loooong time.
Unemployed
AG
Thamel's is just preying on Aggies' insecurity. He knows that it'll get a rise out of the Aggies.

If Jimbo leaves for LSU, I promise that I will poop slap someone's mom.
Horn Saw
AG
taylorswift13 said:

Jimbo just took down the number one team in the country and the number one coach in the history of this sport in front of 106,000 fans and 7 million at home all while making 9 million a year in a state where his ranch is and family is. GTFO here with that nonsense. Jimbo is here, and is here to stay possibly till he retires. Jimbo loves Texas A&M and Texas A&M loves Jimbo. Period.

Not sure all Aggies love Jimbo. I saw a lot of negative posts about Jimbo last week.
Sparkie
AG

Lsu is firing their coach 2 years after a championship season.

A&M gave Jimbo with a $50 mill buyout clause as a security blanket.

Which would you choose?
MaroonStain
AG
Rendered Fat said:

taylorswift13 said:

Jimbo loves Texas A&M

How do we know this for sure?

Wow...you think you would have learned to stop trolling after this weekend. Nope...
GigEmTx
Law Hall 69-72 said:

Thamel said that he didn't think it would happen, but Jimbo would be at the top of Woodward's list. He said one reason that Jimbo might take it is that Saban, Miles and O all won national championships at LSU and that is much easier to do at LSU than A&M. He didn't think money would be an issue for LSU.
He can say that all he wants. LSU has talented players and they have history, no doubt. The hard part of coaching is getting players to buy into the culture you're trying to instill, and A&M players already have that covered. LSU still has a slight advantage in talent according to the talent composite and blue chip ratio measures, but we've closed the gap significantly and we rank high enough that the talent level won't be what keeps us from winning a natty at this point.

I just can't imagine hm throwing away what he's built, when we're right on the verge of taking the next step. Everything I know about the man is that he's competitive as all get-out. He'd rather build a winning program himself than piggy back on Ed O and the others that have won more recently at LSU.
MaroonStain
AG
DE4D said:

But the University, nah bro, same same. All the way down to the Engineering program, ROTC, vet school, and ag departments.

Okay okay...now this is funny.
aggiehawg
AG
Bonzer103 said:

He tries not to show it, but Jimbo is giddy as a MFer at the moment. He will finish what he started. You can tell he recognizes and embraces the fit. Just my gut. I think he stays for a loooong time.
Tend to agree that he seems happy here and is able to shed whatever negativity happens after a loss right off of his back.

Unlike Sumlin. Jimbo hasn't been defensive as Sumlin was at times and then all of the time that last Sumlin season.
ontheway
AG
Emory Bellard was HC at Miss State after A&M. He retired to the Houston area and coached hi school football for a few years. Great, top notch human being.
ontheway
aggiehawg
AG
ontheway said:

Emory Bellard was HC at Miss State after A&M. He retired to the Houston area and coached hi school football for a few years. Great, top notch human being.
Thank you for the correction. Just remember hearing him talking about A&M a lot after he was fired, usually on the radio. I was in school when he was coach. And he was a great guy.
Leander - Ag
AG
Lsu is poor
TexAg15
AG
How's LSU a good job? They're firing a coach just a few years after winning a natty AGAIN. Imagine how many years of grace a natty would get a coach around here?
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2015
Jimbo4win
AG
If Jimbo wanted to be at LSU, he would already be there. Les Miles was fired in 2016. Jimbo CHOSE A&M in 2017. Are we to believe LSU, with a job opening readily available, wanted Ed O over Jimbo? Or are we to believe they never contacted Jimbo's agent!? It can only be one of these two and BOTH are absurd! They would have given anything to have Jimbo in 2017 just like they would give anything to have him now. HE TOLD THEM NO BECAUSE A&M IS THE BETTER JOB!! How do we know? We know because elite coaches like Jimbo speak with their actions not their words.
Falsedawn
AG
We give Jimbo everything he wants, we have no problem (financially or willingly) doing so, and if he wins a NC he's god. Why would he leave a place where he's a made man to go to LSU? So he can have higher expectations and half the war cache?

Yeah we're crazy, maybe even a little above our weight at times, but LSU is rabid. We're 2 years off Burrow putting the team on his back for a chip and they're ready to feed dacoacho to the tiger. People putting so much stock in Woodward like any guy who rubber stamps your checks when you call doesn't look real friendly. Bjork isn't exactly breathing down Jimbo's neck.
500,000ags
AG
When does a friend turn into a pimp? Woodward is just going to call and put Jimbo to work again? Jimbo wanted out of FSU and needed a fresh start, him to A&M was mutually beneficial. Him to LSU would be so odd.
Nitro Power
AG
I doubt he would leave but if he did, I'm certain we can find a suitable replacement. We aren't paying Sumlin, Sherman dollars anymore. We are paying big boy dollars with essentially unlimited resources.
strbrst777
Gene Stallings '57 did not come back to "hang around." After leaving Alabama where is a living legend, he retired to his ranch at Powderly, north of Paris. He became a member of the Board of Regents. He is a great man and a great Aggie. He became head coach at age 29.
92_Ag
AG
Page 3 and no "he gone" yet?

Gotta be a record.
Charlie Murphy
TAM85 said:

Vandy to Penn State to LSU is not a logical progression.

How is it not? If anything, it's exactly a logical progression.
Bison
AG
Ghost of Bizbee said:

Bison said:

I'm still not happy that the extension was made here when it was. Any talk about prescience is ex lpost facto logic. That being said, the extension served the purpose of raising the asking price from 9M to
~11M per year (based on the current extension equating to ~20% raise).

And there will be no buy-out. Coach O will be officially fired for cause relating to the Title IX suits. That will be their narrative and they will challenge him to prove them wrong.

I can't stand when this term is used. It's the biggest kind of ACkShEWaLlY in message board speak
All right, then, Lord Grammar, propose a new term, such as "blind pig finds acorn" or "past posting." We both understand the concept in play.
maver1ck
AG
I'd be shocked if LSU didn't contact Jimbo

And when they do, Jimbo will laugh in their faces
aTm2004
AG
I think LSU goes after Mark Stoops.
West Point Aggie
AG
What does Maroon Dawn have to say?

There's your barometer…
Make Mental Asylums Great Again!
Meximan
Rendered Fat said:

$17 million to buy out Orgeron, plus probably $10 million/year to get Fisher. Is LSU that flush???

A&M can outbid them through $25m a year if they want
91AggieLawyer
AG
taylorswift13 said:

Jimbo just took down the number one team in the country and the number one coach in the history of this sport in front of 106,000 fans and 7 million at home all while making 9 million a year in a state where his ranch is and family is. GTFO here with that nonsense. Jimbo is here, and is here to stay possibly till he retires. Jimbo loves Texas A&M and Texas A&M loves Jimbo. Period.

A lot of people said this in 2012 about the coach we had then. Let's tap the brakes a little.
halfastros81
AG
Jimbo's not going anywhere imo. LSU is a real good job and they'll get a good coach. They are not nearly as patient . I wouldn't be totally shocked if they went after Aranda. I would if I were them.
Charlie Murphy
91AggieLawyer said:

taylorswift13 said:

A lot of people said this in 2012 about the coach we had then. Let's tap the brakes a little.

I'll play, who hired said coach away?
BadAggie
AG
LSU running a head coach out after winning a natty 2 years ago is all you need to know.

A&M recruiting is going to be off the charts this cycle anyways
92_Ag
AG
West Point Aggie said:

What does Maroon Dawn have to say?

There's your barometer…
…can't respond now…he's giddy at this news and much too busy prepping to help Jimbo pack.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.