Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Thamel on Finebaum: "Jimbo to LSU"

39,645 Views | 243 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Pumpkinhead
Ray Baker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
rootube said:

People, we are losing sight of the best part of this situation. The job that is EXPONENTIALLY better than A&M has now been rejected by.

Mel Tucker
Ron Franklin
Jimbo Fisher
Billy Napier

We are this close to Bill O'Brian coaching LSU . Try to enjoy it.

Lol. Ok.
Mel Tucker - per Josh Pate, Tucker was never a serious candidate and his name was floated to get a raise
James Franklin - was contacted early by LSU but talks never went further, also spoke to USC
Jimbo - who knows how seriously he was pursued
Napier - would crawl to LSU. Has been seriously campaigning for the job. Tried to force a decision from LSU by talking to Florida. He might end up at lsu or UF

Read 10 different "writers" and you'll get 10 different candidates.
IMO, lsu will end up with Aranda. Hell, they'll hire Stoops before O'Brien is a serious candidate. Still an upgrade from Orgeron.
rootube
AG
Ray Baker said:

rootube said:

People, we are losing sight of the best part of this situation. The job that is EXPONENTIALLY better than A&M has now been rejected by.

Mel Tucker
Ron Franklin
Jimbo Fisher
Billy Napier

We are this close to Bill O'Brian coaching LSU . Try to enjoy it.

Lol. Ok.
Mel Tucker - per Josh Pate, Tucker was never a serious candidate and his name was floated to get a raise
James Franklin - was contacted early by LSU but talks never went further, also spoke to USC
Jimbo - who knows how seriously he was pursued
Napier - would crawl to LSU. Has been seriously campaigning for the job. Tried to force a decision from LSU by talking to Florida. He might end up at lsu or UF

Read 10 different "writers" and you'll get 10 different candidates.
IMO, lsu will end up with Aranda. Hell, they'll hire Stoops before O'Brien is a serious candidate. Still an upgrade from Orgeron.

Per you a month ago Napier and Fickell were candidates and almost everyone said Jimbo was the #1 target so things change. Aranda was probably a backup in the minds of most LSU fans until Baylor beat OU. I will admit if they get Aranda which seems possible it would be a good hire.

Quote:

I'd add Napier and Fickell. Although Fickell could be headed to USC.
rootube
AG
Ghost of Bizbee said:

Bill O'brien *
Technically I referred to James Franklin as Ron Franklin so it's probably the second or third worst faceplant of this post.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
rootube said:

Ghost of Bizbee said:

Bill O'brien *
Technically I referred to James Franklin as Ron Franklin so it's probably the second or third worst faceplant of this post.
Showstopper
AG
I think BoB is the name that gets floated before a team makes its real pick so the fanbase says, "Well, I guess it could have been worse, they could have hired BoB."
90ags
Per Ryan B recruiting news…

"I've heard that Scott Woodward is calling some recruits and telling them that they'll be pleased with the LSU hire. That message is to not make a decision and to wait to see what they do. With what kind of program LSU is, I think they will be afforded that luxury. That LSU hire will impact what kind of close A&M makes to this recruiting class."
______________________________________________________ Play for the name on the front of your jersey, not the back...
The Collective
AG
ADs get to contact recruits now?
rootube
AG
90ags said:

Per Ryan B recruiting news…

"I've heard that Scott Woodward is calling some recruits and telling them that they'll be pleased with the LSU hire. That message is to not make a decision and to wait to see what they do. With what kind of program LSU is, I think they will be afforded that luxury. That LSU hire will impact what kind of close A&M makes to this recruiting class."

This seems like it would be a more effective sales pitch for guys who are already committed to LSU today and want to make sure before de-committing than it would be for guys who are uncommitted.
Old Sarge
AG
Thamel again just now, on Finebaum AGAIN saying Jumbo to LSU, even "giving what Jimbo has said". This guy, Thamel won't quit on it. He's PINING for it. I'm beginning to think he'd pitch in the extra cash to make it happen.

Screw him.
AggieArchitect04
AG
I could probably have sex with Natalie Portman. I'm better than her current husband.

See, anyone can say anything.
redleg82
AG
Rendered Fat said:

taylorswift13 said:

Jimbo loves Texas A&M

How do we know this for sure?
He said so at least two times in pressers. What is going to satisfy you? What if Jimbo said the sky is blue?
AggieDub04
AG
Old Sarge said:

Thamel again just now, on Finebaum AGAIN saying Jumbo to LSU, even "giving what Jimbo has said". This guy, Thamel won't quit on it. He's PINING for it. I'm beginning to think he'd pitch in the extra cash to make it happen.

Screw him.

He referred to Bill O'Brien as a "very good NFL coach" which shows he doesn't pay much attention.

He basically said "if it's not Jimbo I don't know who it is" and gave no references or sources so he knows nothing. He also said Jimbo "is going to have to tell Woodward no". If Woodward is talking to recruits then he already knows who his hire is so Jimbo won't need to answer anything.
TxAg76
AG
I think Jimbo has figured out that A&M really does have a higher ceiling than LSU, and that he could be the guy to take it there.
More money, big picture.
Willingness to throw it around, wherever it helps.
One of the best public school educations available.
Aggie network, both pre and post graduation.

He could leave a legacy here that he'd be proud of.
He could make this his own version of what Bowden created at FSU. We'd build statues of him, probably name some component of the stadium after him.

And I think he knows it.
Marcus Brutus
I think it might still be Jimbo to LSU. Until LSU makes the announcement, not ruling it out.
Ags77
AG
I believe it's Lincoln Riley
HoustonAg2106
AG
Ags77 said:

Not if OU wins this weekend and then wins the big 12 championship

At that point it's gotta be Aranda...who's left?

aggiehawg
AG
Ags77 said:

That's what I think as well.
Ags77
AG
If OU loses this weekend, Riley could be announced Sunday or Monday. If he wins and they play next Saturday, he would be announced that Sunday or Monday. He wouldn't coach the bowl game and I don't think he gets in the playoffs.
aginlakeway
AG
CCP Joe Veggie said:

I think it might still be Jimbo to LSU. Until LSU makes the announcement, not ruling it out.

I'll give you 25:1 odds.

HoustonAg2106
AG
Ags77 said:

If OU loses this weekend, Riley could be announced Sunday or Monday. If he wins and they play next Saturday, he would be announced that Sunday or Monday. He wouldn't coach the bowl game and I don't think he gets in the playoffs.
If they win the big12 they are making the playoffs and he's not leaving
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Some yahoos on the local station that carries Aggie football were claiming tonight that Jimbo cancelled the next two episodes of the coach's show, ergo.......
HoustonAg2106
AG
Harry Lime said:

Some yahoos on the local station that carries Aggie football were claiming tonight that Jimbo cancelled the next two episodes of the coach's show, ergo.......

The local show he does in college station?
DGrimesAg92
Harry Lime said:

If that were to happen, which it won't, but if it did, Jimbo's name would be **** and louisiana would deserve him.
Old Sarge
AG
TxAg76 said:

I think Jimbo has figured out that A&M really does have a higher ceiling than LSU, and that he could be the guy to take it there.
More money, big picture.
Willingness to throw it around, wherever it helps.
One of the best public school educations available.
Aggie network, both pre and post graduation.

He could leave a legacy here that he'd be proud of.
He could make this his own version of what Bowden created at FSU. We'd build statues of him, probably name some component of the stadium after him.

And I think he knows it.
The guy on right before Thamel said in a lot more words that there are lots of reasons why TAMU is the better job, and Jimbo would be right to stay at Aggieland. Actually, gave specific reasons why Jimbo would be better off here.

And Finebaum quickly followed with Thamel, who said Jimbo to LSU.

Finebaum probably supports it, like many others, because it is a threat to their beloved "hierarchy". Thamel, is just obsessed at this point.

How did the B-17s bombing Germany know when they were over the target? That's when they drew the heaviest flak. Texas A&M is over the target of the SEC West, recruiting after a two loss season like mad, after they beat BAMA. We are approaching the target, and about to let loose, and the media is in a panic.

Screw Thamel, and Finebaum, who runs this as a regular, can eat a bag of BODs. The Aggies Norton Bomb Sights have their "hierarchy" almost in the crosshairs.

And. They. Know. IT.
AggieBucksJB
AG

Don't comment on Jimbo leaving for LSU unless you have watched this.
aginlakeway
AG
Harry Lime said:

The weekly radio show? That is because the season is over. They don't do that show after the last regular season game. .
Little Rock Ag
AG
After that question, Jimbo left NO room for doubt about him staying at A&M. He'd have to be the biggest scumbag of all times to lie through his teeth like that. However, I am completely confident that he was not lying and that he loves A&M and truly intends to stay here for a long time.
twk
AG
Old Sarge said:

Screw him.
Some of you folks need to calm down. Yes, Thamel is a moron with no good sources on this situation. But the clip that was played today was from his interview with Finebaum yesterday (common practice on Finebaum's show). Are you going to get outraged every time someone plays or posts this clip?

Finebaum often doesn't inject his opinions in to the discussion with his media guests, and tends to suck up to them in a rather pathetic fashion rather than confront them. It's rather notable when he departs from this practice because it is so rare.

If you've watched much of the show, the few times he's expressed a personal opinion on the issue of Jimbo to LSU, it has mostly been to acknowledge that Jimbo has tried to end the speculation as much as any coach can, and wonder why folks keep bringing it up. In response to this query from Finebaum (why keep bring up Jimbo as a possible LSU hire), Thamel basically said Woodward was going to call Jimbo and plead with him to take to the job up to the very moment that Woodward hired someone else. Of course, I can't imagine that Woodward likes the portrait that is being painted of him by Thamel, which makes him sound like a jilted teenager, nor would such an approach be workable where Jimmy Sexton represents both Jimbo and most of the likely targets. If Woodward is still calling Jimbo, how can Sexton advise his other clients to take LSU's interest seriously?
sbag
AG
LSU is not the job everyone thinks it is. It's the worst pressure cooker in the country. Even more so than an open Alabama coaching position. The fans in Louisiana are vicious and ungrateful. I've posted plenty on this subject but LSU people are the nouveau riche of college football - no class lottery winners. Their historical win-loss record is only slightly better than ours, but you would think they've been winning championships for the last century, if you listen to their fans. That's a stepping stone job, not a destination. Saban thought so. He figured out what Les Miles and Ed Orgeron didn't- get out after you win a championship because 2 years later, the fans will ask, "What have you done for me lately?"
phatbc
Anyone saying LSU is a better job is dumb.

The end.
90ags
Jimbo can't win in this scenario. While many want definitive not going, that won't happen until someone is hired.

Finebaum thinks he's going because Jimbo keeps talking about LSU (regardless of what he says as coaches are liars) and super close w Woodard ( who both developed special bond while at LSU).

Sexton is the maestro behind the scenes playing all these games for all of his clients to become richer. He's the issue and should be smacked.
______________________________________________________ Play for the name on the front of your jersey, not the back...
TxAg76
AG
I still think it may be Chris Peterson, for a short term stint, just to bring a good name, good reputation, to help clean up the place.

While he's taking out the trash, Woodward can be working the floor. When the timing is right, Peterson rides off into the sunset (again), and the torch gets passed.
HoustonAg2106
AG
90ags said:

Jimbo can't win in this scenario. While many want definitive not going, that won't happen until someone is hired.

Finebaum thinks he's going because Jimbo keeps talking about LSU (regardless of what he says as coaches are liars) and super close w Woodard ( who both developed special bond while at LSU).

Sexton is the maestro behind the scenes playing all these games for all of his clients to become richer. He's the issue and should be smacked.
Should probably get a raise actually.
TxAg76
AG
Art Briles still has enough swampy sleeze on him to fit right in
Pumpkinhead
AG
Have spent more time past few days listening to LSU football radio shows and podcasts than before in my life combined.

All the LSU insiders seem to have high confidence as of today that the big whale currently on the hook is Lincoln Riley. That Woodward and LSU have offered him something in the range of an 8-year, $100 million guaranteed deal ($12 million per year) and no response yet that OU is going to be willing to match.

They are hoping Okie State beats OU on Saturday to expedite the announcement.

There is no talk of Jimbo on the LSU side. Riley, Riley,Riley. Some consensus is Mark Stoops might be plan B if Riley for some reason falls through.

I personally have zero concern that Jimbo is a target at this point following this. Looks like that ship has sailed but still a lot of smoke that Riley might jump.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.