Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Do you care anymore?

19,082 Views | 156 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by AgWeb44
Seamaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finding it hard to get excited and care very much about Aggie football. Its not just BAS. Its the NIL and the portal and the whole jaded memory of the 'student athlete.'

You see, back in the old days players, except in rare occasions, stuck around for at least 3 years, usually 4, and in that time they gave it all to the maroon and white. So you could cheer for them and see them grow and develop.

Watching the Ja'Mar Toombs video the other day about him earning his degree is case and point. He is an Aggie through and through. Nowadays, can you count the mercenaries who come in for one season? Its just not the same....

Finding it hard to care.

Now get off my lawn.
Matsui
AG
Same
Athanasius
AG
Kind of agree.

My son plays club Rugby for another college. Those kids are student athletes. No scholarships. They just do it for the love of the game, and camaraderie.

A totally different gameday experience.

It is night and day difference.
Aggie Dad 26
NIL has nothing to do with it for me. I'm 44 years old. Seems the older you get, the less you care. Or maybe it's age and the fact we have bad culture that doesn't truly care about winning titles like so many other programs.

I'm probably a few years away from turning into a box score/TV only fan
Aggie Apotheosis
Hell yes I still care!

September will roll around and y'all will be saddled up and ready to ride.

I just read the Husan Longstreet and tackled my computer monitor.
AggieOO
Seamaster said:

Finding it hard to get excited and care very much about Aggie football. Its not just BAS. Its the NIL and the portal and the whole jaded memory of the 'student athlete.'

You see, back in the old days players, except in rare occasions, stuck around for at least 3 years, usually 4, and in that time they gave it all to the maroon and white. So you could cheer for them and see them grow and develop.

Watching the Ja'Mar Toombs video the other day about him earning his degree is case and point. He is an Aggie through and through. Nowadays, can you count the mercenaries who come in for one season? Its just not the same....

Finding it hard to care.

Now get off my lawn.

Well...bye.

Except we all know 90% of the people complaining will still be around in the fall and excited.
TAMUallen
AG
Yes, I care and always will. It is tiring to have dealt with the showy Sumlin and the "it ain't going to be like it used to be" Jimbo.

It's more exciting actually right now because we have one of the best or possibly the best S&C coach available. That has been frustratingly absent for an eternity here. Sure it is optimism but I truly believe this will make an enormous difference in the program because is you have a S&C coach that doesn't take **** and pushes the entire team, theyre naturally so much closer and better overall
davidhouse
TAMUallen said:

Yes, I care and always will. It is tiring to have dealt with the showy Sumlin and the "it ain't going to be like it used to be" Jimbo.

It's more exciting actually right now because we have one of the best or possibly the best S&C coach available. That has been frustratingly absent for an eternity here. Sure it is optimism but I truly believe this will make an enormous difference in the program because is you have a S&C coach that doesn't take **** and pushes the entire team, they naturally so much closer and better overall

Glad to see we have a major uptick in the coaching department.
My dreams for the last 35 years are coming true
MisterJones
AG
I think it's pretty normal to see there is more to life than watching/obsessing over 18-25 yr olds playing a game.
Buzzkill
I cheer for the name on the jersey
AgOutsideAustin
AG
I care but I'm tired of the talk. I just want wins. Don't care about which recruit we are after or how the new facilities are great, or the guys are working harder than ever and buying in, show me in the Fall.
AGDAD14
I want to care, but it's frustrating when things are not as intended. It goes with anything in life.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
Buzzkill said:

This would have been better flex attempt if you hadn't screwed up the cliche'.
BigOil
AG
Makes zero difference to me. Oh, a player may be gone in one year instead of 2 or 3? So what. Oh they can get a slice of the multi billion dollar pie that they are the ones creating the value of? So what. Oh they are getting paid in public instead of under the table? So what. I'll enjoy watching Aggie football regardless until the inevitable let down and BAS flares up.
TyperWoods
Losing interest not because of NIL or transfer portal, but because those **@#$*$#@&-+)(/! from Austin are in the SEC.

Love Elko tho.
Buzzkill
$240 Worth of Pudding said:

Buzzkill said:

This would have been better flex attempt if you hadn't screwed up the cliche'.
Not really a flex so much as an eye roll at op

greg.w.h
AG
Apathy and complaining is easy.
Gabster43213
Still can't believe that kids are making millions to play college football.
Miles711
AG
The dog Sumlin told me to get died last year
AGDAD14
BigOil said:

Makes zero difference to me. Oh, a player may be gone in one year instead of 2 or 3? So what. Oh they can get a slice of the multi billion dollar pie that they are the ones creating the value of? So what. Oh they are getting paid in public instead of under the table? So what. I'll enjoy watching Aggie football regardless until the inevitable let down and BAS flares up.

Hmmm… multi billion dollar pie?… so then why are donors still needed to sustain/underwrite this so called "pie" (business) that "they are creating the value of"?

The last numbers that I saw from the TMF, approx 60% plus of their total payment (including ticket revenue) to the athletic department was from donors. And the annual TMF payment is significantly larger than what is received from the SEC. It's safe to say "they" don't have any value without very generous donors!
Zackdh9
AG
I do care. But it's because of my mentality. I can take it for the life value add that it is. I love the game. It's not the end of the world to me if they do bad. I know NIL sucks, but it also kinda doesn't suck in a way. Still the teams that win will be great because they have transcended in some way. If TAMU can do that, I'll be stoked. There are much more important things in life but I know that for 10 Saturdays this year, there will be a team I can pull for.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Aggie Class of 2026 said:

NIL has nothing to do with it for me. I'm 44 years old. Seems the older you get, the less you care. Or maybe it's age and the fact we have bad culture that doesn't truly care about winning titles like so many other programs.

I'm probably a few years away from turning into a box score/TV only fan
This is where I've been for a while. The sport of football is still entertainment viewing for me. But that's it.

Has more to do with my age and acceptance of things I cannot change than any changes in the game. I never had delusions about players getting paid or not getting paid.

No adult needs to give an explanation for becoming less involved in a kids game as we age. Unless you have sons or nephews on the team...it's just a game and it's just entertainment.

I can still lock in and cheer when the game is on.
Meximan
Seamaster said:

Finding it hard to care.

Now get off my lawn.
Yes because football is football and all y'all can kiss my ass
Al Bula
AG
Difficult to care when there are so many more personally fulfilling hobbies out there. Aggie sports success in anything is a cool minor thing in life.

Focus should be on kids or self and the challenges those bring. Not on a bunch of thug mercs.

If they win wearing an Aggie jersey, that's cool.
one safe place
I have gone through the same stages many have. Had season tickets for three or four years after graduating. Then, later on, I would take 3 to 5 kids to see a game, with my son one weekend, with my youngest daughter the next time. I suppose starting with the Mond situation, I really began to lose interest. The NIL and portal only made it worse. I am still interested, guess I always will be. Just not invested in it any more.

I used to plan my weekends around watching the game on tv. Now, I spend the weekends doing other things, if I have nothing going on I will certainly watch. I would never buy season tickets or make a donation in order to do so. Rather those funds go to deer hunts or an elk hunt.
lotoarmy
AG
I think of them as our local minor league team, now.

Not like it used to be.
Last of the Old Army
Bob Kelso
AG
No.
aeon-ag
Aggie Apotheosis said:

Hell yes I still care!

September will roll around and y'all will be saddled up and ready to ride.

I just read the Husan Longstreet and tackled my computer monitor.
Not me! This NIL and transfer portal has ruined college football. If a coach is too hard on one of these little boys he's going to take his ball and transfer!! Sad state of affairs! The NCAA better get this under control or all they'll folks are going to be finding another job.
Maroon Dawn
AG
The only way to be a pumper anymore is to treat every single game in a vacuum and completely ignore the larger picture of the season and program. That way you get to act like we won a national title and are kings of the world for beating Bama but ignore that none of it actually matters because we still somehow lost to both the MS schools again.

This is true of all 3 major A&M men's team programs. Don't get your hopes up for them to not embarrass you or fail to live up to their potential/hype or actually win any hardware. Just take it one game at a time and enjoy it if they win a game or two.
Demo_Slug
AG
I'm excited and care about the team. But following recruiting is interesting is different ways than it used to be. I'm not sure if I enjoy it as much or it hits different. I'll think this over the next few season's and get back to y'all.
TX_Aggie37
AG
Yes I care.
GalvestonAg74
davidhouse said:

TAMUallen said:

It's more exciting actually right now because we have one of the best or possibly the best S&C coach available. That has been frustratingly absent for an eternity here. Sure it is optimism but I truly believe this will make an enormous difference in the program because is you have a S&C coach that doesn't take **** and pushes the entire team, they naturally so much closer and better overall

Glad to see we have a major uptick in the coaching department.
My dreams for the last 35 years are coming true
My dreams for the past 55 years.
General Jack D. Ripper
They destroyed the only televised sport I cared about.
There was this one time at ban camp…
Corn Pop
I do, but it's very shallow. I don't think I can name more than 10 active players on the roster, no idea who is being recruited, etc. However, I'll still make time and watch the majority of the games in the fall.
saw em off
I still care, but if we lose, I don't get as worked up as I used to. If we win, I don't get as worked up as I used to. Now, if we ever make the playoffs, I'll probably get as worked up as I used to.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.