Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Do you care anymore?

19,459 Views | 156 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by AgWeb44
Camo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Don't care much during off season

Care in August

Pumped and 100% invested by week 2

"this is our year LFG"

annnnnnnd crash and burn between week 4-7

don't care anymore
Slicer97
AG
saw em off said:

I still care, but if we lose, I don't get as worked up as I used to. If we win, I don't get as worked up as I used to. Now, if we ever make the playoffs, I'll probably get as worked up as I used to.
Pretty much this.

I'll get up for it on game day, but it's not likely going to be on my mind much during the week.
kbarj
AG
As NCAA football has become more and more about money, I have become a box score and TV fan.

One son played for an Ivy program and with the exception of their big game, his high school had better game attendance. But when you met the players, you really had a sense of true student-athletes. It provided a sharp contrast to the power 5 game attendance feeling and I found myself liking the old school college atmosphere better.
Bill '77
agchugger
AG
If you truly didn't care, then you wouldn't be on this message board. You would choose to spend your time elsewhere in things that you care more about. You most definitely do care if you're here. You may not be happy about it, but you care. Its May... 3 months till kickoff.. little news going on and you're still here on an Aggie football message board to talk about Aggie football. You most definitely care.
wangus12
AG
I care but I don't like it. It has definitely made it easier for me to not get emotionally invested. If we win, great! If we lose, oh well. Now that they are professional athletes, I just don't care as much. Its NFL-lite and colleges seem to be determined to try and get rid of the pageantry and traditions that made college ball so much more entertaining.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Plenty of people still love the sport. Older people get busy with families, work, and other things that have a higher priority than A&M football. Going 8-4, 5-7, 7-5 doesn't help. The portal and NIL stuff only makes it more difficult to keep the attention of the naive purists.
That said, the sport is about to be at a tipping point in the next 5 years where if they do not reign in the portal activity and put some effort into ensuring the sport resembles its former self, the game is going to lose a lot of support. If they continue to allow unlimited transfers and if they decide to make it where players can play as long as they want, there will be negative outcomes.
NyAggie
AG
Aggie Class of 2026 said:

NIL has nothing to do with it for me. I'm 44 years old. Seems the older you get, the less you care. Or maybe it's age and the fact we have bad culture that doesn't truly care about winning titles like so many other programs.

I'm probably a few years away from turning into a box score/TV only fan
you definitely become more restrained when watching as you get older.

When I was at A&M and we lost to CU in 95 I broke my coffee table and threw a chair off my apartment balcony.

Now, I am at the point where I can DVR games and watch them later in the night after doing things with the family.

I will still yell at the screen but when we play really poorly I am at a point where I can just laugh at it.

It's definitely an age/maturity/wisdom thing.

but I still care just as much now as I did then, and probably always will.

I'm super-pumped this year because I'm a big believer in Elko.

I think he's "the guy" for us.

Bill Superman
AG
Let's be clear, nobody is on Texags in the middle of the off-season who doesn't care.

The day we win all you chest thumpers declaring a lack of interest on this football forum will be the first in line for your new t shirts telling everyone how you never left.
Josepi
AG
agchugger said:

If you truly didn't care, then you wouldn't be on this message board. You would choose to spend your time elsewhere in things that you care more about. You most definitely do care if you're here. You may not be happy about it, but you care. Its May... 3 months till kickoff.. little news going on and you're still here on an Aggie football message board to talk about Aggie football. You most definitely care.
This

People posting on a college football message board that they don't care. Hahahahaha!

If TexAgs dried up and went away....then that would show that you didn't care.
TexasAggie81
greg.w.h said:

Apathy and complaining is easy.
And sometimes justified.
Craigy
I will still give it my all as a fan during the game. Outside of that I can give my energy elsewhere. I know of 2 kids (brothers) that have just signed with their 3rd school. I believe they fit into a large group of guys that are purely chasing NIL $ . This group are most likely not NFL guys just maximizing their income. So much of this goes directly against of what college sports should be about...
GW Ag
It is frustrating as hell. Being a fan has been a double nut kick over these Sumlin Dumbo years, but yes I am still excited and can't wait for the season to start. Please Lord God let us have a 10 win season and stomp a mud hole in Whorn's ass.
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

I care but I'm tired of the talk. I just want wins. Don't care about which recruit we are after or how the new facilities are great, or the guys are working harder than ever and buying in, show me in the Fall.

This.

85 years of talk. The only thing we do at a championship level is choke.

Just win games.
ElephantRider
AG
I care, but it's at a much lower level than it used to be. Portal and NIL together are killing CFB. I think one or the other would have been fine, but both coming around at basically the same time is a disaster.

I used to watch a ton of college football and pretty much just Cowboys games and the playoffs as far as NFL goes. The past couple of years, it's flipped. A lot of NFL, and just A&M and the playoffs at the college level.
VatoLocoAggie
AG
I will always give a rat's a**.

Most loyal and dedicated Ag in this life and will debut in the afterlife polls at #1 Top Ag in attendance.

I'll give you my Texas A&M Aggies White 12th Man Towel, when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!

P.U.T.U
AG
Honestly as soon as my friends retired from sports I stopped following them. Few went to school around 2007-2011 and after they left I rarely watched a game. I do like watching the games when I have the time but with kids I have other priorities
94chem
AggieOO said:

Seamaster said:

Finding it hard to get excited and care very much about Aggie football. Its not just BAS. Its the NIL and the portal and the whole jaded memory of the 'student athlete.'

You see, back in the old days players, except in rare occasions, stuck around for at least 3 years, usually 4, and in that time they gave it all to the maroon and white. So you could cheer for them and see them grow and develop.

Watching the Ja'Mar Toombs video the other day about him earning his degree is case and point. He is an Aggie through and through. Nowadays, can you count the mercenaries who come in for one season? Its just not the same....

Finding it hard to care.

Now get off my lawn.

Well...bye.

Except we all know 90% of the people complaining will still be around in the fall and excited.
These are not mutually exclusive. My daughter runs D1 track. I am putting 6 kids through college or trade school. The idea some BMA is bribing a kid to attend A&M, and at the same time I'm supposed to support NIL, is ludicrous. I'm working my butt off to put my kids through college; no way am I paying for your mercenary kid too.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
Oh, and the whole "Be careful what you post here. Recruits read this stuff."

L...O...L...so...what...

It will truly break my heart when they take their arrest record, their 9 general studies credits, and their golden parachute to the next stop when their 8 month contract expires.

I remember getting upset with Greg Hill and Dante Hall messing stuff up off the field. I WISH we had good ags like them still around. They were way more committed to A&M than the average guy we get now.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Oh, I still care. I can't see that ever changing. But I have siloed this to a certain extent, where I'm not following every development to the extent that I would have in the past. I do still maintain expectations as for records and individual performance, but I also recognize that I have been consistently disappointed in all the years since I actually became an Aggie. Even so, I know this program is capable of winning at the highest level so I really haven't tempered my expectations.

Winning a SEC title will be great, but winning a national title will be like nothing I've ever experienced. My high school was a state title in baseball; the Astros have several AL pennants and a couple of World Series pennants. None of that will even hold a candle to the Aggies winning the national title in football.
dustytool
I still care about Aggie football! It's a great way for me to connect and bond with my kids and my friends. I can't fault a kid for wanting to get paid if he's allowed to and transferring to a school where he can showcase his talents and get more playing time than where he is at. I have loyalty to my university, not to a kid on the team.
PeekingDuck
AG
No, I pretty much stopped in 2020 with Jimbo's mind numbing process for winning (and eventually losing) games. I am glad we have Elko though, he seems like a decent coach. We also seem to have some QB options, which should help.
HowdyGetRowdy409
Miles711 said:

The dog Sumlin told me to get died last year
Sumlin lost control of the dogs too?
TX_Aggie37
AG
Athanasius said:

Kind of agree.

My son plays club Rugby for another college. Those kids are student athletes. No scholarships. They just do it for the love of the game, and camaraderie.

A totally different gameday experience.

It is night and day difference.
I don't doubt that collegiate club rugby is a different gameday experience than SEC football.
jja79
AG
Winning and losing used to control how I felt for a day or two. No more. Gave up my tickets, retired, moved to Arizona and watch the games on my phone while playing golf. Since the players are hired I don't feel bad for them when they lose like I did when they chose my school for many of the reasons I did.

Let's see how long the business model of donate to buy tickets, buy tickets and then oh by the way kick in to this fund to pay the players you watch from the seats you donated for and then bought can last. I'm guessing not long.
TexAggie1999
I care a lot less than I used to. If I actually think about it, I realize I should not really care at all, even though I still do to an extent. For the most part, we are cheering for guys who wear our jersey because we paid them the most money to do so.
94chem
Tenured professors who've brought in millions in grant money and worked 20+ years to get where they are have to pay 50% of their grant money to rent their own lab space.

19 year olds who've never made a dollar for Texas A&M get a $200,000 scholarship, a salary, a free platform to promote their "brand," and the freedom to leave any time they want for a better offer.

Fine. Whatever. Don't ask me to pay for it.
94chem,
Rectitude
AG
If you are on this board you care, to some extent.

Yes, NIL puts a different perspective. However all the teams play under the same rules (or non-rules). It is still a matter of who can win under the existing competitive environment. I am OK with that. And I still prefer college football over every other sport (or the NFL).
94chem
I think we kind of assumed that A&M would be kings of NIL, given the number of BMA's, the endowment, Texan grandeur, or whatever. Maybe, maybe not. I'm sure we'll have plenty of kids getting truckloads of cash dumped on them, but there might be a few BMA's out there whose disgust with entitlement mentality might be larger than their desire to win at all costs. But what do I know - $500,000 is still a good chunk of change where I come from...
94chem,
halfastros81
AG
Exactly. I don't want to hear about all the morning sickness , and weight gain, etc, etc. just show me the baby. Granted I have been conditioned as such over 47 + yrs .
rootube
AG
I love Texags, where not caring about something is expressed by logging in to Texags and posting obsessively about the very thing they don't care about anymore.
94chem
rootube said:

I love Texags, where not caring about something is expressed by logging in to Texags and posting obsessively about the very thing they don't care about anymore.

I love texags, where people of average intelligence need to have everything broken into axiomatic dichotomies to validate their inability to process any scintilla of nuance.
94chem,
DFCURT
I agree with the OP. I watched less college football the last two years than ever before. Very difficult to get up for the season and I wanted Elko if a change was going to be made.
rootube
AG
94chem said:

rootube said:

I love texags, where people of average intelligence need to have everything broken into axiomatic dichotomies to validate their inability to process any scintilla of nuance.

Thanks! I always assumed I was below average intelligence.
Youknowwho777
as a Texas fan...i learned the hard way from 2010 and on the hard way. You just have to learn to still be a fan, love the team but not let it consume your life. When we lost it used to kill my weekend..and then i got married..had a kid and realized man its just some kids playing a sport that i have no control over.

The best part of college football is the PASSION on Saturday and the ride or die fans regardless if we're sucking or we are top 10. It suuuuuuuuuucks when you lose, especially when you should have win. But oh well, be back next week and go enjoy your week while you wait. Nothing you could do could control that outcome.

Texas vs Texas ATM this year is going to be fire

I will be there with my family. My Brother and Mother Aggie graduates and my Dad a Texas graduate and me currently at Texas and my family. I cant wait to FINALLY be able to experience KYLE FKING FIELD in person.

Hoping yall go undefeated until that day!! best of luck
Youknowwho777
god I'm starting to hate this android and its auto spell corrections lol.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.