Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Do you care anymore?

19,458 Views | 156 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by AgWeb44
Class of 65
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieOO said:

Seamaster said:

Finding it hard to get excited and care very much about Aggie football. Its not just BAS. Its the NIL and the portal and the whole jaded memory of the 'student athlete.'

You see, back in the old days players, except in rare occasions, stuck around for at least 3 years, usually 4, and in that time they gave it all to the maroon and white. So you could cheer for them and see them grow and develop.I dont care anymore Watching Biden fall up the stairs is more interesting than watching Aggie Football

Watching the Ja'Mar Toombs video the other day about him earning his degree is case and point. He is an Aggie through and through. Nowadays, can you count the mercenaries who come in for one season? Its just not the same....

Finding it hard to care.

Now get off my lawn.

Well...bye.

Except we all know 90% of the people complaining will still be around in the fall and excited.
_mpaul
AG
Aggie Class of 2026 said:

NIL has nothing to do with it for me. I'm 44 years old. Seems the older you get, the less you care. Or maybe it's age and the fact we have bad culture that doesn't truly care about winning titles like so many other programs.

I'm probably a few years away from turning into a box score/TV only fan
Let's not get carried away. I'm sure you have a fine career. No need to make such drastic changes.
_mpaul
AG
knoxtom said:

Stupidest thing to me is those who think the $20 million has anything to do with NIL money. The colleges seem to be among thee idiots.

Now every teams will be spending $20 million PLUS whatever they spend on NIL. The smart teams will be hiring cap managers real quickly because that $20 million won't be split evenly and each individual player will be getting their share of the $20 PLUS whatever they can negotiate with the school/NIL guy.

Talk about a cluster F. These schools took a disaster and made it worse.

That's always what happens when you're spending other peoples' money without consequence. Until those "other people" stop providing the resource to be wasted, the athletic programs won't change.

I tapped out of donations and season tickets some time ago because I wondered why we were paying what I thought was a near-worthless AD (Hymen) $1 million/year and giving coaches idiotic contract extensions (specifically, Sumlin after year three).

FWIW, I like what I've seen and heard from Trev Alberts so far, but I don't see anything changing until all of the colleges hired ADs with his mentality. I hope for the total collapse of college athletics so we can rebuild, and yet I know the odds of that are probably slim.

At this point, I have college football on as background noise while I'm working or getting stuff done around the house. 15 years ago, my ass was plopped in front of a TV for 16 hours every Saturday.
DukeMu
NIL was going on under the table for decades. Especially at Bama, Auburn, and t.u.

Time to sac up and crush some Domers.

Elko is going to reverse the culture. We're going to the playoffs. Brand the whorns. Get on the bandwagon now.
StinkyPinky
AG
Every single time I see this thread title I have Phil Colins singing "I don't care anymore" in my head. Make it stop!
FCBlitz
I don't kid myself that these players have respect for TAMU's military past, that they care about traditions and being patriotic.

But watching the 12th man cheer, seeing enough football players who do get it, and flying the American flag proudly with the Corp being highly involved makes it possible for me to enjoy the team.

But all it takes is a few players who want to tell me the traditions are racist, that TAMU is inherently racist and that I am racist or if they want a separate anthem I will turn the tv off and instantly not care anymore.
schmellba99
AG
Aggie Class of 2026 said:

NIL has nothing to do with it for me. I'm 44 years old. Seems the older you get, the less you care. Or maybe it's age and the fact we have bad culture that doesn't truly care about winning titles like so many other programs.

I'm probably a few years away from turning into a box score/TV only fan
I'm a few years older than you and decided several years back that sitting in front of a TV (when we were even televised) on Saturday with a 50/50 (at best usually) chance of being disappointed (to the point of being mad) because we pulled a Texas A&M and crapped the bed wasn't worth it to me anymore.

I pay attention, don't get me wrong, but college football and especially Aggie footbal is no longer what a weekend revolves around. I go to the deer lease and have fun, drink some whiskey, smoke a pipe and occasionally check scores. If we win, great, if we lose, well, I'm used to it.

NIL is making it much easier to focus on other things. I still want us to win, and if we were to magically change all of our history around and we don't shrink up and sht the bed when we have a chance to be a nationa power, I'll be all on board and what not. But until then, I've become a lot more of a passive fan than anything. And you know what? I don't mind it.
Faustus
well_endowed_ag said:

I don't care anymore. It's a pro sport now. For the smart mouth posters who like to say "of course you care if you're still posting here derp derp," (1) it doesn't actually take any effort to post here, and (2) I'm posting here for the Aggie community, which I do somewhat care about. I will post about football too while I'm here just because it's the only sport Ive ever paid attention to, but I don't care about it anymore. I would prefer A&M to win when it is playing another team, just like I'd prefer to eat sushi tonight instead of pizza. Thats the extent of my feelings about it.

If we make it to the national championship game, I will probably start to care a little bit.
Sounds fishy.
Faustus
StinkyPinky said:

Every single time I see this thread title I have Phil Colins singing "I don't care anymore" in my head. Make it stop!
We could go ironic:

VP at Pierce and Pierce
What a strange post. Do most students care much about the military tradition and history of Texas A&M. Why are the football players held to such a standard in 2024? I highly doubt the stars of the 80's and 90's at A&M cared much about that same history. Of course they respected it, just like today's players, beyond that is just history and not a priority.
For some reason our fan base has brain washed itself into believing our current players know significantly less about A&M than previous generations and they only wear maroon on gameday. There isn't anything different today than 30-40 years ago, you just see behind the current more and make assumptions. The elite guys have always been about playing ball and going next level.They learn about A&M along the way and most of them appreciate who we are, current and past players.
Livetosmoke
I care but I'm tired of the talk. I just want wins. Don't care about which recruit we are after or how the new facilities are great, or the guys are working harder than ever and buying in, show me in the Fall.
13B
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

What a strange post. Do most students care much about the military tradition and history of Texas A&M. Why are the football players held to such a standard in 2024? I highly doubt the stars of the 80's and 90's at A&M cared much about that same history. Of course they respected it, just like today's players, beyond that is just history and not a priority.
For some reason our fan base has brain washed itself into believing our current players know significantly less about A&M than previous generations and they only wear maroon on gameday. There isn't anything different today than 30-40 years ago, you just see behind the current more and make assumptions. The elite guys have always been about playing ball and going next level.They learn about A&M along the way and most of them appreciate who we are, current and past players.
What a strange response to FCBlitz's post.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
13B said:

VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

What a strange response to FCBlitz's post.
What is strange about it? For months posters have bled on every thread about mercenaries and the death of college football. Acting like players today dont know anything about the programs they play for and acting like previous players knew everything and played only for school pride. Reality is it is in the middle and has been forever.
Craigy
Most people here care. Truly care. It's summertime and folks posting on Texags football forum care. With most of us it's just not at the same level and as often. For myself, I enjoy the discussion of our football team and a watch every play of every game. I give it my all during the game and I leave it 5 minutes after the game is over.
13B
Maybe so but it seems like you are attributing all of those posts to this poster and reading what you want in his/her post. Not to mention, you are way off on some of what you said.
JOHN2010
AG
No
AgWeb44
There was an article in the Dallas morning news earlier this week about the schools approving the painting of corporate logo advertising on the football field. That was the nail in the coffin for me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.