Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Kyle Allen

57,131 Views | 205 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ebag02
WestGalvestonAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?

I honestly think he can make it. I know how ridiculous it sounds, but he was mismanaged at both schools. How much of that was on him I don't know, but it's unfortunate how things turned out. I like the guy and wish him the best.
Threadbare
WestGalvestonAggie said:

I honestly think he can make it. I know how ridiculous it sounds, but he was mismanaged at both schools. How much of that was on him I don't know, but it's unfortunate how things turned out. I like the guy and wish him the best.
Wow, I hope he's not mismanaged at the next level, too. This mismanagement thing just seems to follow him...
Threadbare
By the way, is one expected to compete for the starting job in the NFL?
rangerdanger
AG
He out dueled Dak Prescott. Hope Saban picks him up after dropping Eli.
Threadbare
rangerdanger said:

He out dueled Dak Prescott. Hope Saban picks him up after dropping Eli.
Yeah, but Dak was the subject of attack by green laser beams in that game...
zephyr88
AG
texancanuck11 said:

That's ballsy
Thats quitting
Liquid Wrench
Threadbare said:

WestGalvestonAggie said:

Wow, I hope he's not mismanaged at the next level, too. This mismanagement thing just seems to follow him...
He may have been "mismanaged." He may be a great, sweet lovable person. But it's entirely possible that he was simply overrated coming out of high school. Recruiting misses aren't just the ones that got away.
Threadbare
ChiliBeans said:

Threadbare said:

WestGalvestonAggie said:

He may have been "mismanaged." He may be a great, sweet lovable person. But it's entirely possible that he was simply overrated coming out of high school. Recruiting misses aren't just the ones that got away.
I couldn't agree more. He was badly overrated in more than one area...
Threadbare
For all his shortcomings, the pros are so fixated on measurables, that he might actually get a look.

You really have to wonder what happened at UH. It was against Rice, but, he had by far the best passing game of their season last year. And, yet, one bad game against Tech, and he never saw the field again (as far as I know) on what was a very average team.

Applewhite clearly didn't have any use for him. There's just got to be more to it.
Liquid Wrench
I only went to one of his UH games and heard some talk from UH people who went to more. My guess is that he just didn't develop physically and coaches don't want to be limited to quick 3-5 yard passes. His accuracy didn't appear to get any better during his year off.

A lot of normal people stop developing physically at 18, it only looks bad when it's an athlete in the spotlight.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
The NFL will be the third place he ends up transferring out of when he can't win the job.
OSOB
Threadbare
amercer said:

fighterbull said:

Wow. Wonder what would've happened if he stayed here?

Gig 'em.

We would have won more games.

If he has good workouts he'll probably be a late round pick, which is where he would probably be anyway after another season of college ball.
Trevor Knight was a more effective QB for us than Allen.
shihitemuslim
AG
BanderaAg956
another thread allowing attacking of Kyle Allen, don't defend him you get banned... hypocritical
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
Arthur Stilwell
Aggies are the most fake greatest fans in college football.
Threadbare
crosswalk said:

Aggies are the most fake greatest fans in college football.
At these ticket and concession prices, "fan" is just another word for "consumer"...
Liquid Wrench
I've said multiple times I don't know that there's any reason to attack him. As fans, we love to talk about character and guts and all that fun stuff. But the truth is that some athletes just don't have the mechanics or natural talent to keep growing and developing at the next level where everyone is bringing it. And we never know whether they really got injured or hurt or what happened to affect their development.
Threadbare
ChiliBeans said:

I've said multiple times I don't know that there's any reason to attack him. As fans, we love to talk about character and guts and all that fun stuff. But the truth is that some athletes just don't have the mechanics or natural talent to keep growing and developing at the next level where everyone is bringing it. And we never know whether they really got injured or hurt or what happened to affect their development.
Most (not all) of the stuff on here is pretty mild to qualify as much of an attack.

The fact is, when he walked out on the team, it was a punch in the gut to Sumlin and the program (though, recent developments show that maybe we didn't lose as much as we thought we did). If Knight hadn't shown up on the doorstep, that season could have easily turned out even worse than it did.

The job was his to lose his junior year, and he either didn't want it, didn't think he could win it, resented that he had to compete for it, or meshed so poorly with the staff that he couldn't stand to be part of it, and bailed instead of sticking it out.

None of those reasons is going to engender much understanding from most fans. He left us in the lurch to sit out a year, and, as today's news shows, it wasn't because he had soured on football.

One reason why it is still talked about here is because of the schism between those who absolutely blame Sumlin, and those (like myself) who put more responsibility on Allen.

Again, it's very interesting what happened at UH. With his tools (and performance, even if plagued by inconsistency), it's almost inconceivable to me that he didn't hang on to that starting job.

OKC~Ag
I was ardent supporter for Allen and generally blamed Sumlin...his Arkansas game , OT game win was a classic...
But as Threadbare pointed out, Allen bears significant responsibility too...

never the less, I wish him the best...
Liquid Wrench
I don't know what was really going on, but I try to look at from different perspectives just for the sake of message board convos. He was getting beat up on the field and left in the game when we fans figured he was hurt; then (maybe) the coaches didn't communicate with him about his future so why take the hits just to ride the bench? He bears responsibility of course, and he gambled on what he thought was in his best interest. I don't think he made the best choices, but they were his to make and I'm not sure he had the mechanics and growth potential to be a big star no matter what he did. Gambling on Herman staying at UH will always be a wtf decision, though.
ag-bq-seventy
AG
Well, the Texans need a few dozen quarterbacks each season, so ....
David Carr
He can hang out with Gunner Kiel when it is all said and done.
Krazykat
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

I'm not always the rah-rah type, but once an Ag, always an Ag. He may be immature, selfish, and/or entitled. He may just have been sold a bill of goods and could not deal with the realities that followed (splitting time with Kyler, transferring to play for Herman only to see him bail for t.u.) and that made him ineffective this past year. Now, he wants to just focus on his career and put his college time behind him.

None of us really know what happened with this kid. Still, he chose us in the beginning and, prodigal or not, he is still a son in the Aggie family. I wish him the best and hope he gets a chance to play pro (even if it is against Johnny in Canada).

Not an Aggie in my book. He came here to play football only. As soon as things didn't go his way, he took off. Not an Aggie.
texancanuck11
zephyr88 said:

texancanuck11 said:

That's ballsy
Thats quitting
How is that quitting? He graduated, and is trying to make a career of playing a game.
Harry Dunne
Wrangler said:

Not an Aggie in my book. He came here to play football only. As soon as things didn't go his way, he took off. Not an Aggie.

He has made some bad choices, but I'm sure you did too at that age.

So it's "once an Aggie possibly always an Aggie" now?

Without him we don't win the WVU bowl game, the ASU game in Houston and the Arkansas game that same year. Maybe more I'm forgetting. He has done a hell of a lot more for Texas A&M than most Aggies have.

I hope he grows up and fulfills his potential, but he will always be an Aggie in my book.
AGinHI
AG
Quote:

He has done a hell of a lot more for Texas A&M than most Aggies have.
Because he won some football games?

Most Aggies have been representing A&M in various professional careers and in their personal lives for years, decades, after graduating.

Harry Dunne
AGinHI said:

Quote:

He has done a hell of a lot more for Texas A&M than most Aggies have.
Because he won some football games?

Most Aggies have been representing A&M in various professional careers and in their personal lives for years, decades, after graduating.

Yes, because he won some big football games! This is a football board and I assume we all care a lot about Aggie football. Joe Aggie representing A&M well in his personal and professional circles is great, but most of the time it doesn't get our University national recognition and it doesn't get thousands of people excited.

My main point is NOT trying to take anything away from good Ags doing their part to better A&M's reputation, I'm just standing up for a fellow Aggie that has brought positive things to our school, and may still go on to represent A&M well in his personal life for decades. I wouldn't blame him for being bitter at A&M after reading some of these posts, but I hope most Aggies feel like I do about him and that the rest are the whiny critical minority.
antman8504
AG
monarch said:

Kyle had NFL QB written all over him back in HS. Here, he was a drop back, NFL style guy in a hurry up, run & shoot, spread offense. Then Kyler comes into play and he is the opposite type of QB than Kyle, more of a JFF type, but not a drop back, NFL guy. Sumlin didn't due either one of these guys good at all. Two different types of QB's in two different, opposite systems.

Bottom line, I wish the guy well. I think if KWS and his staff had designed the offense around Kyle's skill set, we might have had a stud monkey at QB for a number of years and a hell of a lot record to show for it also.

Wrong.
texancanuck11
antman8504 said:

monarch said:

Kyle had NFL QB written all over him back in HS. Here, he was a drop back, NFL style guy in a hurry up, run & shoot, spread offense. Then Kyler comes into play and he is the opposite type of QB than Kyle, more of a JFF type, but not a drop back, NFL guy. Sumlin didn't due either one of these guys good at all. Two different types of QB's in two different, opposite systems.

Bottom line, I wish the guy well. I think if KWS and his staff had designed the offense around Kyle's skill set, we might have had a stud monkey at QB for a number of years and a hell of a lot record to show for it also.

Wrong.
Which part? Care to elaborate?
antman8504
AG
A few things blow my mind about Kyle Allen.

1. People still think he is going to be a great QB.
2. People jump to his side and call him an Aggie while they bash Kyler Murray for doing the exact same thing.
3. People continue to blame sumlin for him not being good even after the kid slipped to 3rd string at UH.
92aginSC
AG
lespauNo l said:

Am I the only one here that wishes he would've stayed at A&M?

No
antman8504
AG
texancanuck11 said:

antman8504 said:

monarch said:

Wrong.
Which part? Care to elaborate?

Almost the whole thing is wrong except for Kyle looking like he had lots of potential in hs. That's about the only thing correct in that post.
Harry Dunne
Harry Dunne
Harry Dunne
Harry Dunne said:

92aginSC said:

Am I the only one here that wishes he would've stayed at A&M?

No, sort of.

Our season would have been less terrible and I would like to have not choked @ UCLA but ultimately I am glad he left because I think he might have saved Sumlin's job. He had some terrible games, but people are quick to forget that he also had some great ones. He would have played better than Mond, at the very worst. I mean I think even Winston Gamso could have held on to that UCLA lead.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.