Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Kyle Allen

57,107 Views | 205 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ebag02
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
texancanuck11
antman8504 said:

texancanuck11 said:

antman8504 said:

monarch said:

Kyle had NFL QB written all over him back in HS. Here, he was a drop back, NFL style guy in a hurry up, run & shoot, spread offense. Then Kyler comes into play and he is the opposite type of QB than Kyle, more of a JFF type, but not a drop back, NFL guy. Sumlin didn't due either one of these guys good at all. Two different types of QB's in two different, opposite systems.

Bottom line, I wish the guy well. I think if KWS and his staff had designed the offense around Kyle's skill set, we might have had a stud monkey at QB for a number of years and a hell of a lot record to show for it also.

Wrong.
Which part? Care to elaborate?

Almost the whole thing is wrong except for Kyle looking like he had lots of potential in hs. That's about the only thing correct in that post.
Sumlin's offense wasn't good for Kyle Allen. Also, QB development wasn't his forte. If our offense played to the skill set that Kyle Allen had, and worked to develop him, it wouldn't even be a discussion about him being an NFL QB. The fact of the matter is, he shouldn't ever have come to A&M, because we never had an offense that was good for him.
W
AG
the college career of Kyle Allen...will go down as one of the most bizarre / head-scratching ones we've seen in a long while.

just one bad decision after another. Where in the world was he getting advice from?

upon seeing what happened to him at UH...Sumlin is largely off the hook
MidTnAg
AG
This was a horrible decision on his part. I wonder if he even discussed it with his parents before he made the decision.

He could have played two more years of football. Now he won't play any. Really stupid. I wonder where he is getting his advice from. He did not appear to be out of touch with reality when he was here. He obviously is now.
Titan83
AG
If Tim Tebow is not an NFL QB, why would anyone think KA has NFL potential?
HoustonAg2106
AG
Titan83 said:

They are exact opposites in terms of style so I don't get the comparison
DogCompany74
AG
I just read your post and while I do not care about the comings and goings of Kyle Allen since he walked away from A&M, he is in my mind not " a son of the Aggie family". In my view he is no more an Aggie than that Corps fish who drops out if the university because the Corps wasn't for him.

I don't wish him harm or bad luck but he is by his own choice not an Aggie.
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
TyHolden
AG
Not sure if his shoulder ever fully recovered. He had more zip before then.
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

Sumlin's offense wasn't good for Kyle Allen. Also, QB development wasn't his forte. If our offense played to the skill set that Kyle Allen had, and worked to develop him, it wouldn't even be a discussion about him being an NFL QB. The fact of the matter is, he shouldn't ever have come to A&M, because we never had an offense that was good for him.

Yeah..............reading defenses and throwing the football was definitely not in Kyle Allen's skill set.

You realize that had Sumlin stayed and signed Gunnell next year, Sumlin could lay claim to signing two QB's who were rated as the #1 Pro style QB? His "offense" attracted top flight QB's.
Jason Ag
AG
DSAg44 said:

I think the same thing happened to Jerrod Johnson.
JustisWalkert
AG
texancanuck11 said:

antman8504 said:

texancanuck11 said:

antman8504 said:

monarch said:

Kyle had NFL QB written all over him back in HS. Here, he was a drop back, NFL style guy in a hurry up, run & shoot, spread offense. Then Kyler comes into play and he is the opposite type of QB than Kyle, more of a JFF type, but not a drop back, NFL guy. Sumlin didn't due either one of these guys good at all. Two different types of QB's in two different, opposite systems.

Bottom line, I wish the guy well. I think if KWS and his staff had designed the offense around Kyle's skill set, we might have had a stud monkey at QB for a number of years and a hell of a lot record to show for it also.

Wrong.

Almost the whole thing is wrong except for Kyle looking like he had lots of potential in hs. That's about the only thing correct in that post.
So he transfers to Houston, supposedly because their offense was a good fit for him. He goes from a starter in an offense that was not good for him to the end of the bench in an offense that was good for him. Somebody explain that.
JustisWalkert
AG
MidTnAg said:

This was a horrible decision on his part. I wonder if he even discussed it with his parents before he made the decision.

He could have played two more years of football. Now he won't play any. Really stupid. I wonder where he is getting his advice from. He did not appear to be out of touch with reality when he was here. He obviously is now.
Maybe he discussed it with Kyler Murray's parent.
Titan83
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

Titan83 said:

They are exact opposites in terms of style so I don't get the comparison

You are totally correct. IMO, KA does not have nor demonstrated any of the minimal things needed to be successful in the NFL.
Considered a winner
Improvement at college level
Games played at college level
Ability to lead a team
Emotional maturity and toughness
Physical toughness and athleticism
Adaptation to speed of college game

Tebow had big mechanical flaws but found some success in the NFL by having the characteristics above.

KA has some mechanical flaws but NOT as severe as Tebow. IMO - there are signs that KA has none of the characteristics that made Tebow a great college QB and serviceable NFL QB.

So yes, they're different.

It's one thing to have played 2-3 years and had a so so college career because there is a body of work to evaluate. Maybe your game can translate to the NFL. Despite what is taught in Greek Mythology, even Tom Brady had a significant body of work.

KA does not have a body of work to evaluate. Major Applewhite will get calls about KA - no idea what he'll say.

The FOTM is this, KA became #3 on a Houston team where he practiced for 20 months going into the 2017 season.

Good kid. I hope he makes an NFL team and becomes an all pro.
Titan83
AG
DSAg44 said:

If this is the case, the NFL will say no thanks.
Onionman
Not sure how he will ever make a roster and actually play in the nfl but stranger things have happened.
500,000ags
AG
I guess I'm confused on how many UH backups get drafted every year.

His best option would have been the graduate transfer route to a real program with an open QB competition. Knight did this, became the starter, got a MBA, and earned some NFL opportunities. Allen and his college career reeks of immaturity.

Aggie87
AG
texancanuck11 said:

antman8504 said:

texancanuck11 said:

antman8504 said:

monarch said:

Wrong.

Sumlin's offense was good for Case Keenum. He passed for more that 5,000 three times in college. NCAA all time leader in total offense, passing yards, and td passes. Just led the Vikings to a 13-3 record this season. And Sumlin had also just come off of Manziel's Heisman. So Sumlin was an attractive coach to play for. His inability to develop QBs became visible later.

Allen has a skill set similar to Keenum, coming out of HS, so perhaps he actually thought Sumlin would/could develop him.
Threadbare
Aggie87 said:

texancanuck11 said:

antman8504 said:

texancanuck11 said:

antman8504 said:

monarch said:

Wrong.

Sumlin's offense was good for Case Keenum. He passed for more that 5,000 three times in college. NCAA all time leader in total offense, passing yards, and td passes. Just led the Vikings to a 13-3 record this season. And Sumlin had also just come off of Manziel's Heisman. So Sumlin was an attractive coach to play for. His inability to develop QBs became visible later.

Allen has a skill set similar to Keenum, coming out of HS, so perhaps he actually thought Sumlin would/could develop him.
Maybe Allen didn't have the qualities or motivation to develop himself. It is a cooperative process, you know.

The posts above represent a lot of thinking that shows up in these threads that just assumes it's mostly on Sumlin that Allen didn't get better.

As someone said, Allen's disappearance at UH probably sheds some light on where most of the responsibility should be assigned...
Schrute Farms
Allen was signed by Carolina as a UDFA.

The kid is getting paid and receiving a shot against a wide open back up QB roster. Best of luck to him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/28/panthers-add-undrafted-quarterback-kyle-allen/
C Loves L
Good luck Kyle
cedar
Good luck Kyle. Hang in there.
coldmoose
Good luck Kyle.
BanderaAg956
It will be a miracle if Kyle Allen ever recovers from the BS treatment at the hands of Sumlin. I wish him all the best of luck!
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
bmorton
AG
Good luck, kid.
Mike Elko
AG
Undrafted... Shock to no one except maybe Kyle.

Edits: Damn phone.
Showstopper
AG
Call me petty, but I hope he's bagging groceries in H-E-B by September.
AG
Showstopper said:

Call me petty, but I hope he's bagging groceries in H-E-B by September.

You're petty.
Indignitas
AG
Here's 1 data point that ******bags don't like Kyle Allen:

http://smokeroom.com/2018/04/10/kyle-allen-quarterback-nfl-draft/

We might have others in our program's history.

I'm a Kyle Allen fan.
moz
drevans956 said:

It will be a miracle if Kyle Allen ever recovers from the BS treatment at the hands of Sumlin. I wish him all the best of luck!

It takes a miracle to overcome an obstacle or apparent bad treatment in one's life?
S.A. Aggie
AG
Good luck Kyle!!!!
Snap E Tom
One thing I'm not clear on - did the Hube article explain why Allen was out there to miss 20+ pass attempts against Ole' Miss?

Did the coaches keep him out there knowing he was injured? Did he not want to come out? Were there no other options because Murray was being pouty?
C Loves L
Snap E Tom said:

One thing I'm not clear on - did the Hube article explain why Allen was out there to miss 20+ pass attempts against Ole' Miss?

Did the coaches keep him out there knowing he was injured? Did he not want to come out? Were there no other options because Murray was being pouty?

Troll
Bayside Tiger Ag
C Loves L said:

Troll

How is this a troll?
I think L understands, but C doesn't quite get it. Time for a mindshare session?
Athanasius
AG
He deserves the best. I hope he achieves it!
Agvet12
AG
Aggie87 said:

texancanuck11 said:

antman8504 said:

texancanuck11 said:

antman8504 said:

monarch said:

Wrong.

Case Keenum was an awful NFL QB until he learned how to run the pro system. It's why he was a journeyman back up for so long. He mastered how to read defenses and the Vikings offense suited his style of play. Don't make it out that sumlin was all world qb developer....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.