Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Dave Campbells Rag - Business Suicide

46,394 Views | 290 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by viva torrente
Linz02Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BBII
I do wonder how many "suckers" will forget this whole escapade and buy this worthless rag!
Aggie_buster
AG
One less buyer for this worthless rag. I'll be making sure I spread the word too.
TxAginAz
AG
Hey, anybody want a DCTF for Xmas present?!?

(ducks)

*********************************************************************************************************************
"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women."

Claude os, aperi oculos!
LostInLA07
AG
Cross posted:

Crazy how this thing had blown up. I've told several non-TexAgs people and they already knew about this and the boycott.
rab79
AG
did anyone with DC's email forward the link to this post to him?

Are You Ready? HELL YEAH!
BostonAg74
That was my thought. Campbell used to be pretty vocal about giving schools equal coverage. On paper, he's still Editor in Chief.
Kentatm
rab79
AG
That picture is probably a pretty accurate representation of what travis stewart has been doing for the past 48 hours.

It may be a good picture of what josh will look like in a couple of years when okielite has him at cb on the depth chart.
phildickinson1
scs2001
AG
So I know one poster said he talked to some folks who'd already heard about this, but what is the best way to spread the word to non-TexAgs addicts? Someone mentioned Facebook--would that work? Can anyone get it started? We've done lots of complaining amongst ourselves, would be good to inform others now.
MW03
AG
Bump in case anyone forgot. What a difference 24 months can make.
Sumlin`s Pocket Presence
can we get a 12-10-10 "Never Forget" ribbon made?
corvettemike86
AG
Stopped buying years ago....

Given the fail of tu and the BDF conf overall - watch for a full backfield shift to A&M focus with JFF cover... it will be tempting, but still not buying AND TAMU ought to not have JFF sit for cover shoot - can't stop campbell from using freelance photo, but lets not assist....

[This message has been edited by corvettemike86 (edited 12/12/2012 12:08p).]
coupland boy
AG
Good bump!!!!

A TEXAS football magazine took pleasure in our losing a recruit to an Oklahoma school.
TexasAggiesWin
S
The story about Manziel switching his committment on Page 2 is swell!

Texas A&M Wins the Manziel Lottery
coupland boy
AG
Still would have been unprofessional and unacceptable if we had lost the guy to any other school in Texas. The fact that it was to Okie Lite made it downright sacrilegious.
phoenix491
AG
I had forgotten all about this ... Funny stuff. I also used to buy DCTF religiously every summer, but that seems like a quaint notion nowadays, with all the info available elsewhere.

For what it's worth, I went to high school with Adam Hochfelder, the managing editor of the magazine who posted earlier in the thread, and he's a really solid guy. (He IS a t-sip, though, so there's that.) More than anything, I think this episode shows the perils of entrusting your social media approach to lower-level employees or interns ...
BCO07
AG
did he ever write that bias article
child of grace
S
One of the guys over there was whining about the attention shown JFF once he was made available to press. Greg Tepper, assoc editor. @tepper on the twitter-thing.
swc93
AG
Excellent bump. I remember this thread and being entertained by the anger of TexAgs.
tamc91
AG
Aggies - Don't be tempted to by this rag now that we have had a great year and Johnny won the Heisman.

Remember, DCTF is now owned by IMG which is the sports marketing group that handles tu's marketing and has part of the LHN deal.

Don't be fooled by a flashy cover with A&M pictures. They just want to try to get some A&M money to use against us for tu's (their client's) good.

I think it would be worthwhile for one of the TexAgs reporters to do a piece on how DCTF and IMG use these types of magazines to market their clients' (i.e., schools that do not include A&M) brands and help run down their competitors in the eyes of recruits and the general public.

[This message has been edited by tamc91 (edited 12/12/2012 12:37p).]
AughtThree
AG
Am I the only person who doesn't understand why everyone got so butthurt over one tweet poking fun at us? Are we so sensitive?

It's not called feelingsball.
Wipey
AG
A magazine dedicated to Texas football recruits openly gloating about a kid leaving the state. **** DCTF.
AGinHI
AG
quote:
Aggies - Don't be tempted to by this rag...

quote:
...that seems like a quaint notion nowadays, with all the info available elsewhere.

People still buy news?
Whaler
AG
Like others here, I used to buy DCTF every summer, usually to read during a vacation. But never again since that tweet... To me the tweet really showed their colors at DCTF and allowed me to reconsider their other slights to A&M over the years.

I doubt I'll ever buy it again. BTW, don't remember hearing about a DCTF tweet when RSJ decommitted from tu...
tamc91
AG
AughtThree - you're not really thinking about this. Let me try to simplify it.

1. IMG now owns DCTF and has a piece of the LHN.
2. They are tu's sports marketing group. tu is their client. A&M is not.
3. They use DCTF to try to make tu look good and their competitors for recruits look bad.
4. They disguise their conflict of interest and bias by hiding behind a magazine name that historically provided less biased (unpaid at least) reporting.
5. They use their High School recruiting coverage to get HS kids to buy it.
6. HS kids and potential recruits see articles trashing A&M and casting tu in the best possible light.
7. Conflict of interest that most people do not understand (including many Aggies).
8. Buying DCTF is similar to buying tu merchandise, but worse, because they use the articles to try to sway recruits against A&M.
9. Don't be fooled Ags!
Dr RC
egg shell egos FTL

Oh nooooooooo! you didnt stroke my ego! I must hate you now!
Indignitas
AG
tamc91 nails it. The "Texas" in DCTF effectively means tu, not the state.

More people should be aware of this.
JustisWalkert
AG
I used to buy DCTF every year back in the SWC days. With the move to the Big 12, team coverage seemed to get diluted. Now, with all the information available on the internet, there is nothing available in TF that I didn't already know.
Mutual_Friend
So according to one poster or another on Texags, we shouldn't support DCTF, ESPN, the DMN, or the Houston Chronicle because they are all biased against us.

Comrades, get all your news here or from Aggie Athletics, the only authorized distribution points for the party-endorsed version of all news concerning A&M. The rags ciruculated by the capitalist pigs are filled with lies and propaganda.

[This message has been edited by Mutual_Friend (edited 12/12/2012 1:27p).]
Hamburger Dan
Someone will bump this thread in August and that will cost DCTF some scratch. Innocent or not, still immature and sheety for a reputable business.
AughtThree
AG
quote:
AughtThree - you're not really thinking about this. Let me try to simplify it.

Admittedly most of that was info I didn't know. Nevertheless, if we know all that then why are we sending emails and tweets like "cease and desist your bashing of Aggies"? So t.u. has a recruiting rag... oh well. They also have a s****y network. Meh.
coupland boy
AG
quote:
egg shell egos FTL

Oh nooooooooo! you didnt stroke my ego! I must hate you now!

I think there is definitely a cumulative effect on the perception of a school when little digs or backhanded compliments appear in stories that are intended to be unbiased. It's not necessarily WHAT this guy said, it is the knowledge of his mindset and how, as well as what may or may not get reported in DCTF as a result of it.
MW03
AG
I'm just going to re-post what I wrote on Page 3 to the guy from DCTF that registered back when this all went down.

quote:
While I am sure you are all over there snickering at the reaction this tweet received, I appreciate that your staff was intelligent enough to make an attempt to issue a response and attempt to make an apology.

Unfortunately, this idiotic tweet appears to be symptomatic of a larger problem within your publication. At any given point, there are close to 50,000 people walking the campus in College Station. And while some may love it differently than others, none of us like to be belittled. I'd suggest that you use more discretion in the future, but I don't expect stories that are supposed to be outside the parameters of an editorial to require discretion. In short, your bias against my school and my team is clear, and I'm not going to ask you to cover it up; I'm simply not going to use your product any longer.

So if anything, please send Mr. Stewart my thanks for pulling the curtain back, if even for a second.

Again, the problem is not that the tweet was insulting inasmuch as it is that they were only ever insulting to A&M. It's one thing to troll a fanbase to pump hits or to generate interest. DCTF holds itself out (or, in the past has held itself out) as THE magazine for Texas Football. When they make a snide comment that's out of character, you see a little more truth to where their heads are at. And when they start letting their personal rooting interests interfere with the job they do on the paper, there is no reason to think that those same rooting interests will give everyone a fair shake.

So yeah, I'm done with DCTF. And those of you that want to keep eating the "Poooooor Aggies" **** sandwich folks like DCTF keep serving can just tell the rest of us how it tastes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.