Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Dave Campbells Rag - Business Suicide

46,391 Views | 290 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by viva torrente
EKG1996
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So where did Travis Stewart go to school?
Talon2DSO
AG
While I appreciate the apology, it does little to make good on years of anti-Aggie sentiment coming from the magazine. Its one thing to write about the great things other Texas schools are doing, a completely different story when your magazine is full of A&M slights and backhanded compliments. This tweet just shows how much joy your staff gets at A&M's expense.
golfinag94
sounds like that tweet opened pandora's box, don't think they are going to like the result!!
Dro07
AG
TCU
DanTanna86
AG
Yep, that Manziel article was full of undefendable pot shots at us too. But that is what we have seen from the rag for years. This tweet just confirms the anti-Aggie Bias.
Optimus
AG
Well, well, well, how the turnstable!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdhSxMgpJL8

[This message has been edited by Optimus (edited 12/9/2010 11:10a).]
Mutual_Friend
quote:
Some people really need to get a life and learn to take the high road. If someone "wrongs" you, how does raging and having this "I'll show them" attitude benefit you...or the greater good? Some of you sound like a bunch of bitter divorced women at a group therapy session. Stop being so sensitive. DCTF has already apologized and reacted to this in several ways now.

+1

JeffHamilton82
quote:
All the best.

Travis' Apology:

Reminds me of

quote:
Be of Good Cheer

FranObserver

oldarmy1
AG
My life is amongst other stellar things about Texas A&M. And retards like Travis will see real impact in lost sales and missing editions.

I stand by my earlier statement to give them one more chance if they make the smart decision to fire him and then hire an Aggie within their business.
aggieland09
AG
Ill take the high road and not buy that crap again!
HBCanine08
AG
that is a really ***tty apology.
Talon2DSO
AG
What's the point in apologizing? Its not going to change anything about what they publish.
oldarmy1
AG
Oh, and they must also post an article on the debacle at tu and write it with the same condecsening flare they use for A&M.
Scotch
AG
Enough already about the tweet guys, it was a mistake and has been corrected. I stopped regularly buying the magazine years ago and all Aggies should have already done the same.

The real problem we now have is that Von Miller is losing a poll on their website, get to work TexAgs!!!
oldarmy1
AG
Scotch...it would be most embarrassing for them if Von didn't win that poll than if he does. It invalidates their web-site as low-rent.
El_Gato
AG
That Manziel article is a joke. They say with absolute certainty that he would play QB at Oregon. It says he is in trouble of not doing the same at A&M because we have two guys on campus who play the same position. If you care to look at Oregon recruiting classes, I'm sure they didn't, you can see their current QB is only a sophomore, they have a stud freshman QB and the have 2 QBs already committed in this class. And there would be no one clamoring for him to not take a redshirt.

That article is why people think you have a slant against A&M. You are a source on information for a number of people in the state who take what you have to say seriously and don't have the time to see if it is actually true or based on reason. There would have been any number of ways to find a positive in the switch yet you chose to misrepresent facts in order to keep the tone of the article. I have never read their magazine and happy to say I never will. I was not missing much.
MW03
AG
The Manziel article pissed me off WAYYY more than the stupid tweet. "A&M Lucks Out"? Really?

While I am sure you are all over there snickering at the reaction this tweet received, I appreciate that your staff was intelligent enough to make an attempt to issue a response and attempt to make an apology.

Unfortunately, this idiotic tweet appears to be symptomatic of a larger problem within your publication. At any given point, there are close to 50,000 people walking the campus in College Station. And while some may love it differently than others, none of us like to be belittled. I'd suggest that you use more discretion in the future, but I don't expect stories that are supposed to be outside the parameters of an editorial to require discretion. In short, your bias against my school and my team is clear, and I'm not going to ask you to cover it up; I'm simply not going to use your product any longer.

So if anything, please send Mr. Stewart my thanks for pulling the curtain back, if even for a second.

[This message has been edited by MW03 (edited 12/9/2010 11:19a).]
The 5200 Acres
AG
quote:
Retraction and apology
2010-09-12
Uzoma Nwachukwu Adkison

By Travis Stewart/Texas Football -- A formal apology from the man at the center of it.

I will start with what's most important: An apology.

I made a mistake, and for that, I am truly sorry.

My name is Travis Stewart, and I serve as the managing editor for Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine. Some of you know me, some don't. I write on things high school, things college, things pro and things somewhere in between. I've been doing it for years now here, and in that whole timespan, I can only think of two times where I hit the keyboard and wasn't proud of what came out of it.

The first was near the beginning of my tenure here. I went with bad info, stupid reporting and made an ass of myself. I never did that again. The second came this morning, when I again made myself look foolish with a terrible display of poor wording and fatally flawed judgment.

I Tweeted a comment regarding Texas A&M recruiting that came out looking for all the world like a pointed barb right at the heart of a tender subject — Texas kids switching pledges to Oklahoma schools. Of all things to stumble on, I chose that one. No mistake is ever acceptable in my line of work, but some are more damaging than others. I recognize this as one such time.

Unfortunately, as I've tried to tell many of you, such malice was not my intent. I can't remember a time I've ever written anything in my life will ill-will at heart. I'm not a malicious person, but, from to time, I am a very stupid one. An attempt to provide levity to what I knew was a painful situation turned into an exceptionally poor-worded cheap shot. I was trying to be empathic ... and instead it came off as pathetic.

I won't give you my reasons or logic behind it. As I've told dozens of people this morning, they will only look cheap and ill-constructed. And no matter the reasoning, the underlying truth is that I decided to write somthing that could put me in a position to have to explain. I've been taking journalism classes for most of my life, and if there's one thing I've learned, its that if you think you're going to have to do explaining, then just shut up.

Ya' know, I've spent most of the morning kicking myself, and not for me. I know I made a mistake. I know I should have slowed down to think about whether or not what I was about write could be construed as something horribly different. I regret more than you know, and I am ready to accept whatever consequences are inherent in it. But I've actually been kicking myself for Dave, and for the men that I work with every day. They work too hard at this to have some idiot like me unwind that carefully constructed image that we've been serious about cultivating.

Balance. Fairness. Objectivity.

In no way should anyone else at DCTF be held responsible except me. This my act. My doing. My failing. While I steadfastly swear that this issue was rooted in poor choice of words and not malice, we're now trying to mark the distinction between intent and deed. And the court of public opinion rarely returns a positive verdict in such cases. And If you have thoughts, bring them to me — travis.stewart@texasfootball.com — or my direct supervisor if you want to issue a formal complaint with him — adam.hochfelder@imgworld.com. No one else needs to be brought down by this. I assure you they would not admire my dumb decision.

I've open dialogues with every complaint I've had this morning. i will continue to do so. I've carried an open-door policy throughout my entire career, and while the line right now is long, I will continue to do so. I you'd like further thoughts, or a personal apology, you don't even have to knock.

Kick down the door and let me have it. It's what I deserve.

T

That would actually sound sincere if it were not for the context provided by the Manziel piece. How DCTF can keep this punk on their staff is beyond me.
chicoaggie
AG
Ridiculous tweet, indeed irresponsible. The man shouldn't be fired for it though.

I'm sure they'll learn to choose their words a little more wisely. They can hate A&M all they want...everyone else in Texas does. So it should come as no surprise to TexAgs. As someone already posted, "that's why I love A&M."

On a general note, IMO, the magazine has always been biased to the "hot" schools (high school and college).
TAMU_91
AG
Exactly, 5200 Acres. It's not likely but he might have been able to fool me had I not seen the Manziel article. Now I'm just wondering what other gems are out there that I just haven't seen yet.
HBCanine08
AG
I agree with Talon. The harm has been done. He doesn't really apologize to talking crap about Texas Aggies but seems to apologize for making fun of high school kids switching.
wasabi1787
MW03
AG
Anyone feel like taking a guess at where Travis Stewart's allegiances rest?

quote:
So my wife and I went to the Texas-Texas A&M game on Thanksgiving. Good game. Enjoyed it. But the kid behind me was just nailing Greg Davis to the wall to the point that I was actually a little embarrassed. The kid was like 9 years old.

I leaned over to my wife and mumbled, "If a 9-year-old knows your OC's name, it's rarely a good sign."

Turned out it wasn't a good sign. Randy Riggs at the Statesman has reported — with confirmation from the Athletics Department — that Greg Davis, Texas' long-tenured and much-maligned offensive coordinator, is going to resign, and that offensive line coach Mac McWhorter and defensive line coach Mike Tolleson are both retiring.

I'll have a little more feedback later, but I have mixed feeling on this. But after the terrible 5-7 season Texas bumbled through in 2010, it was to be expected by all, eagerly anticipated by most.

http://www.texasfootball.com/greg-davis-done/

LostInLA07
AG
well, a baby**** orange rag finds out what happens when you underestimate the value of Aggie fans.

poooor t-sips.
oldarmy1
AG
And to the blowhards who like to post "what good will come out of pounding" on this I give you Travis response. Now shut up and learn. This was not about a single stupid tweet; it was the straw that broke the camel's back on unfair, spiteful, ill-willed poor journalistic integrity, which we have put up with for too long. How many recruits has this kind of bias cost us in the past? Perception, as presented by these publications, takes its toll. I, for one, am hopeful we recieved their full attention that this will not be tolerated going forward. They can try to "earn" our readership back, as Adam put it, by publishing fair articles on Texas A&M, it's athletes's, commits and it's competition.

It has long been known to be a sip publication. Well if they can survive with only sip subscribers go for it.

[This message has been edited by oldarmy1 (edited 12/9/2010 11:35a).]
Quito
AG
Think about it. If he were bold enough to tweet that, just imagine what they really feel. If you think someone is taking a shot at you, then they most often are. This isn't the case. Without a DOUBT, they are taking a shot at Aggies everywhere. While I appreciate the apology, I will NEVER purchase another magazine.

MW03
AG
quote:
Perception, as presented by these publications, takes its toll.

Everything you need to know about our reaction eloquently summarized.
Duck Blind
AG
The more I read this, the more I get really pissed off at Adam and Travis. Travis, the sip blowhard, showed his TRUE COLORS this morning...journalistic integrity be damned...and is spinning and back-peddling faster than his beloved Mack Brown did this past season. Perhaps he's also lobbying for the magazine to be renamed Dave Campbell's University of TEXAS FOOTBALL Magazine. He'd have job security for life then...

I'm done with this rag. Adam, enjoy your staff and the revenue dollars they're going to cost you.
scs2001
AG
This Travis guy is an idiot. Count me as one who won't buy another DCTF!
Face
AG
More quality stuff from Travis Stewart:

http://www.texasfootball.com/the-dctf-power-poll/

quote:
2 Texas A&M Aggies (9-3/6-2) Points: 36 2
Travis Stewart: OK, so you're an A&M fan. Drink it in for a moment. Now answer this: The win over Texas was sweet, as was the 6-2 conference record that tied you for first in the South. But will the end sensation be sour if an SEC routs you in the Cotton Bowl like Arkansas has two years running?

Apparently 24-17 is a rout.
livershot93
AG
what a dewsh
VikingNik
AG
Doing this after the terrible year t.u. has had is mind boggling. We are the ones excited about football right now and they are doing everything possible to torpedo sales to us.
LostInLA07
AG
the important thing to note from all these other blog posts everyone is finding is that this isn't a "one-time" incident and they guy just accidentally mis-communicated what he meant. This is a pattern by that rag and they are just back-tracking this one time because they got called out on it and found out about it.

Screw them.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
That idiot doesn't know when to stop.

Don't mess with the Aggie network.........
golfinag94
Wow..........Mr. Travis, I think you need more journalism classes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.