Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Dave Campbells Rag - Business Suicide

46,397 Views | 290 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by viva torrente
BaronVonAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If I was writing for 5 clients and I was insulting and demeaning to one client I would expect to be fired. Know your audience and serve them or expect there to be consequences. Being a professional demands it. Many, many sports figures have bad personalities and are hostile to journalists but the writers are always professional in their approach.
A&M did nothing to this guy and he was demeaning towards A&M with no cause.

An apology is not enough for me to consider reading this magazine.

[This message has been edited by BaronVonAggie (edited 12/9/2010 8:02p).]
Lance Uppercut
AG
I can't remember the last time I bought the magazine, but add me to the boycott list, and I'll be spreading the news to my A&M friends.

It doesn't hurt my feelings, but it is fairly bad business to insult a big portion of the potential buyers for your product.

[This message has been edited by Lance Uppercut (edited 12/9/2010 7:58p).]
MaysGrad09
quote:
They need to fire whoever made that comment

It was a managing editor. That's how much of a joke the magazine is.
BaronVonAggie
AG
A managing editor. Lol thats hilarious.
LostInLA07
AG
key word: was
BaronVonAggie
AG
He got fired?
DecadePlan
AG
Print periodical...who cares?
vaaggie86
AG
rise up ags
petey88
my past collection will be picked up by the trash guys by 7:30 in the morning.

thanks Travis, you not only insulted me, and where I am from, but also my dad, who taught me about football in Texas. BTW, he knew Dave Campbell in the old days in waco.

you have accomplished what you started to do

and, I do have some ideas about the print editions in the future,...

enjoy

I am

[This message has been edited by petey88 (edited 12/9/2010 9:16p).]
BQ_90
AG
quote:
Balance. Fairness. Objectivity.

what a ****ing joke, you guys are nothing but fronts for the sips. Always have, always will. Just more proof.

Gilligan
AG
I'm in the 25th anniversary edition. page 151
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
my past collection will be picked up by the trash guys by 7:30 in the morning.

Seriously? I'll take 'em off your hands. How far back does your collection go?
tamc91
AG
I'll be the first to agree that we Aggies tend to cry that all "media" is biased, but we have to be smart about what is paid propaganda and what is more typical journalistic bandwagon writing in a newspaper (even if the reporter is a sip). We've gotten our share of good press this year because we are winning (Amen!). However, the DCTF magazine is simply paid propaganda that is well disquised and marketed - don't expect too much to change on this front since to due too much groveling in print might not be well received by their paying clients.

I haven't bought or read that trash in 10 years, but I would bet there is a distinct difference in how they report on the schools that pay IMG's marketing invoices, compared to those that don't. Of course, now that the Ags are on the rise and one of their key "clients" is in the toilet (no bowl), they are doing what most would do for their paying customers. For the IMG rag in question (carefully marketed and disquised using the historically respected DCTF brand they purchased) that means you take opportunities to degrade a growing in-state competitor and threat (A&M) while trying to highlight the positives for your clients (t.u. and others). It is impressive how they can spin very good stories for A&M into a negative, while finding the silver lining in a very crappy year for their clientele. That isn't journalism, it is pursuasive writing 101. They aren't reporters, just paid spin doctors disquised as sports writers.

Don't be blind Ags, this is not journalism. This is carefully disguised and crafted propoganda to promote their client's best interests. There is clearly a conflict-of-interest but unlike an editor of a newspaper, they don't really care. Favorable articles about A&M, our impressive turnaround, and our recruits are clearly not what their clients are paying them to produce. They will only include a few Aggie pictures and poorly written stories to entice us to pay for a copy at the newsstand and contribute a little more to their profits. They also want their paying clients to feel good about the future and see us a occasionally "lucky", so they believe they are getting a good deal. It would be too blatantly obvious, if they only covered their client institutions and I'd suppose a little boring for them to read (although most people aren't all too discerning these day - see Travis and DCTF apologists in this tread).

If A&M is not willing to contribute to their payroll (and I'm certainly not suggesting we do so after reading the links to the recent stories), we should not anticipate that this treatment in the DCTF will change. They might just try to disquise the slights to our Ags a little better by omitting worthwhile stories and highlighting negative stories more vigorously. If any good comes out of this deal, maybe we won't see the blatant negative spin on good news for A&M, since it was so obviously exposed in Travis's tweet.

Just don't kid yourself into thinking that there aren't calculated business decisions into how their clients want A&M to be percieved by the non-Aggie folks and potential recruits around the state of Texas (the product their cleints are really after). They certainly don't want it to be positive, as that is not what their cleints are paying them for.

The power that Aggies have is:

1) to not buy the propaganda paid for by our competitor's marketing dollars,
(2) not to be fooled by these apologies from writers working for our competition, and
(3) educate others that this magazine is no longer (if it ever was) an un-biased form of media for Texas football.

Just don't be fooled into believing that this propaganda rag is ever going to be an unbiased purveyor of all things "Texas" football. Sadly, those days are long, long gone.

[This message has been edited by tamc91 (edited 12/9/2010 10:23p).]
jickyjack1
Goodbye Travis Stewart, goodbye Texas Football. Also, in the context it was used in the Manziel article, "effect" should have been "affect". Where DID you go to school, Mr. Editor?

[This message has been edited by jickyjack1 (edited 12/9/2010 10:43p).]

[This message has been edited by jickyjack1 (edited 12/9/2010 10:50p).]
flyingaggie12
AG
Agree completely. Just because he apologized doesnt mean it's all good. This is retarded the guy obviously took a shot and has done so over an over. What a joke. I do appreciate him apologizing but it's not enough and I don't know what it will take to fix this. Do not be fooled by the apology he did not address this issue personally he was more concerned about future....
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
You people forgave carl Pelini for attacking Brandon and trying to destroy a camera that WE helped pay for, but you're not going to let a sound effect on a tweet go? Even after a lengthy, detailed apology from the author?

Wow at this board.
Dro07
AG
What do you mean, You people?
OlArmy
AG
That rag hasn't been relevant for years. Nothing in it, with the possible exception of the "gripping human interest articles" on tu and a few other glamor teams, has any basis in fact and is usually hoplessly out of date. It is, for the most part, simply a few rumors circulated by a small group of tu biased hacks with an agenda.

They don't call it "Texas Football" for nothing.

I used to casually take a look at it from time to time, but after this I have opened a copy for that last time.

[This message has been edited by OlArmy (edited 12/9/2010 10:32p).]
oldarmy1
AG
Way to do your homework Aggro. Read the whole post and learn a little something before inserting your foot into your mouth.

You, sir. are the wow.
HeyMoe
AG
Rather than being heartfelt, I believe the apology was more of the "oh my God, what have i done, i don't want to be unemployed in this economy" variety. As a sip fan I'm sure he snarled about 'stoopid a*g*g*y*s" all the way home.

That said, he screwed up, backtracked and apologized. Whatever his motivation, it's done.

The larger issue for the good folks at Dave Campbell's to learn here is that there are PLENTY of places in the media to get the good ol sip spin on things (Orangebloods, Barking Carnival, the Dallas Morning News, etc) where they type with one hand on the keyboard and the other in the air giving the "hook em" sign. The media in this state doesn't need another one. If that's what Dave Campbell's has decided to become, well good luck with that business model.

I'm not calling for any boycotts and for what it's worth, i hope this thing calms down now that we've made our point.

The key is to forgive.....

.....but remember.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[This message has been edited by HeyMoe (edited 12/9/2010 10:34p).]
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
*this comment was not meant to follow Moe, who is a reasonable poster.

[This message has been edited by Aggro (edited 12/9/2010 10:48p).]
AnalogyAg
Aggro, are you really that stupid, or just pretending?

What Pelini did was lose it in the heat of battle- it doesnt betray him. That is the kind of behaviour that deserves apologies and deserves forgiveness of same when made in earnest.

However, what DCTF did is expose themselves truly for what they are. If someone molests your daughter and then apologizes, it doesnt mean you then forgive and call the dude over to start babysitting.

No, i'm not equating it, but stupid people need big ol absurd examples to drive home the point.

Have a mother or father explain this to you if need be.
tamc91
AG
I don't really care what the DCTF says or doesn't say. And, I certainly don't hold a grudge or even dislike Travis Stewart. I'm sure he is a decent, yet biased "pursuasive writer" just trying to earn a living. No fault in that. He was just doing the job he is paid to do by his boss and their clientele. He just got a little sloppy and blatant in a tweet, got caught, and now folks are starting to piece things together. You can't do that if part of your marketing ploy is that you are a source of "fair and balanced" material.

I'm in consulting and I often have to play the role of trying to put some "lipstick on a pig". The difference is that our company and many others in our line of work typically have written guidelines on ethical, professional behavior. If we have even a potential conflict of interest, we are required to report it to the client and our management.

Based on what I am seeing from their client list and just the few articles linked to this thread, the IMG / DCTF has a clear conflict of interest that they gloss right over when they market their product as a magazine about all things football in the State of Texas.

I would like to see magazines like the DCTF, Athlon, etc. have to include a list on the front cover of the schools in the region they are "reporting" in that they receive marketing money from. At least then a recruit and other folks could take that into account as they are reading.

Just remember this is creative marketing and not journalism and it puts it into perspective.

The real problem is that this type of marketing has become very sophisticated and most people don't have the attention span to dig deeper and think for themselves about what the real agenda of the author is. That isn't Travis' fault, that is where our society is headed, soundbites and propaganda.

We just have to do what we were hopefully taught in Aggieland (Aggro - you've been there right?), and think a little harder.

[This message has been edited by tamc91 (edited 12/9/2010 10:48p).]
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
AnalogyAg, I don't quite understand what you're getting at. Did you just call me a child rapist? I think that's a little uncalled for.
LostInLA07
duffelpud
AG
DC is now 'that guy' to me.
bonfarr
AG
quote:
Also, in the context it was used in the Manziel article, "effect" should have been "affect". Where DID you go to school, Mr. Editor?

No hockey?
TMoney2007
AG
Bottom line. This guy isn't a journalist at all. He is a marketer. His employers, as the advertising firm for tu, have a vested interest in keeping people excited about tu football and as a result less excited about a&m football. More excitement means more people listening to the games. More people hear their ads. The as space is worth more and they make more money.

Has anyone asked him about the bias in the power rankings or the other article that has been posted?

[This message has been edited by TMoney2007 (edited 12/10/2010 12:16a).]

[This message has been edited by TMoney2007 (edited 12/10/2010 12:38a).]
Texags is garbage
quote:
"Denton Guyer Josh Stewart joins two teammates as an Oklahoma State pledge. Sorry, A&M. Wah wahhh."

Really? That's something I'd expect from a t-shirt sip on facebook.
gtxmedic69
just loss my $$
thad97
AG
Wow. I haven't bought DCTF in years, but I'm a little surprised by the overreaction to this, especially in light of his apology. Insincere? I've read insincere apologies before. This isn't one. He fully owned the mistake as his and accepted the beating. There was no explaining, minimizing, justifying, or push back against the anger coming his way. If you won't accept that as a legitimate apology, what you're saying is that what he did can't be apologized for. I don't put football in a different category of life, and I don't believe poorly chosen words are an unforgivable sin. I'm not trying to convince any of you to agree. I'm just surprised that we've become that sensitive to the hype we can't control.

For what it's worth, it seems clear to me that this guy didn't mean what he typed to read the way it was read. He fully understands why it came across that way, and he knows that trying to explain that he was actually trying to communicate a collective "it sucks when a player we like leaves Texas for another state" is futile in the face of this kind of reaction. Most of you read "Wah wahhh" as mocking us. What if he was just trying to type out the Debbie Downer sound in a sympathetic, "that sucks" sort of way? I know some won't ever be convinced it was anything but more BOMC revealed. That's fine. But what if you're wrong? Is it okay to absolutely kill a guy verbally when there is a logical explanation that might be true and he's offered an unqualified retraction and apology? Even if we can scrape together a justification for the anger, doesn't it seem a bit unseemly?

Fire away.
FtBendTxAg
AG
I would consider it an overreaction as well if it had been his first swipe at A&M. It wasnt. He has taken shots at the Ags in the past.
classof08
AG
quote:
Rather than being heartfelt, I believe the apology was more of the "oh my God, what have i done, i don't want to be unemployed in this economy" variety. As a sip fan I'm sure he snarled about 'stoopid a*g*g*y*s" all the way home.

This. He only regrets what he said because of the repercussions it may have on his career, not because he feels bad about making fun of a school he obviously doesn't like.
thad97
AG
I admit I haven't followed whatever history he has with us, and I obviously don't know the guy. I've just worked in communications and media relations for years, and I wonder if people realize how rare an unqualified, thorough apology like that is. It almost never happens.
Artimus Gordon
AG
obligatory bump for the morning crowd. As many Agfans as possible need to see this. Quit putting dollars in people's pockets that hate you!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.