Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

***Running Thread***

39,074 Views | 372 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
ptothemo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There are different schools of thought when it comes to when to lift legs relative to hard/long runs, but the generally prevailing thought is to put your leg workout as close to and after the hard/long run and with maximum time between the next hard/long run.

Example schedules are:

Tuesday AM: workout (hard run)
Tuesday PM: legs lift
Wednesday AM: recovery run (could also be moved to Wednesday PM if needed)

Saturday AM: long run
Sunday AM: legs lift
Sunday PM: recovery run (can be thrown out if needed)
Monday AM: easy run

Another thing that I think is important to note here is that a legs lift day is going to look quite different when running this much than it would if you were doing legs day in a traditional strength-first program. Going really heavy on big lifts and then trying to run the next day is probably not going to work well. Also, highly controlled isometric exercises, even at an amount of weight that will turn zero heads, are going to contribute to the function of running really well.

Like all things, adaptation occurs and it gets easier with time and consistency.
mrmill3218
AG
Here was my run today.
bert harbinson
AG
Just got acceptance email for Chicago Marathon 2024, time qualified (old guy category). Only 359 days to race day.
Sooner Born
What is your last 5k or 10k time or an estimate of where you think it would be right now?
wangus12
AG
Just put in lottery entries for Berlin and Chicago. One of these years my luck is gonna change and I'll get into all of them
bert harbinson
AG
Yeah, you're way overdue. Good luck!
Swarely
wangus12 said:

Just put in lottery entries for Berlin and Chicago. One of these years my luck is gonna change and I'll get into all of them

Good luck! Both are fun, fast courses!
Boats and Hose
AG
Hoping to get some advice from y'all. I'm not a great runner and have started and stopped over the years. Right now I'm only running 2-3 miles per outing. My conditioning is getting better, but around 1.25 miles in, my left foot goes numb and shortly thereafter so does my right foot.

I've been fitted for shoes several times and have purchased quite a few pairs of shoes, and still have the issue. I've also tried loosely lacing my shoes, but that hasn't helped. I'm not sure what else I can do besides go to a doctor to see if there is an underlying issue. I read something about Chronic Compartment Syndrome, but not really sure if that's a realistic issue.

Just figured I'd ask the group here if anyone has experienced something similar. TIA.
AggieOO
Have you tried lydiard lacing?
BadMoonRisin
AG
Boats and Hose said:

Hoping to get some advice from y'all. I'm not a great runner and have started and stopped over the years. Right now I'm only running 2-3 miles per outing. My conditioning is getting better, but around 1.25 miles in, my left foot goes numb and shortly thereafter so does my right foot.

I've been fitted for shoes several times and have purchased quite a few pairs of shoes, and still have the issue. I've also tried loosely lacing my shoes, but that hasn't helped. I'm not sure what else I can do besides go to a doctor to see if there is an underlying issue. I read something about Chronic Compartment Syndrome, but not really sure if that's a realistic issue.

Just figured I'd ask the group here if anyone has experienced something similar. TIA.
I had something like this affect my left leg, thigh, calf, heel (the back side of my leg, basically) and it turned out to be either a pinched sciatic nerve (sciatica) or IT band syndrome. I went the Chiro about 4 times over 4-5 weeks and it's gone now.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Boats and Hose said:

Same thing happened to me when I was still heel striking. Completely stopped happening after switching my gait to forefoot strikes, but could be due to any number of things like laces being too tight, nerve entrapment, exertional compartment syndrome, to name a few.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Pepesilvia
AG
Signed up for my first marathon. Austin 2024. Already half way though training so I figured now is as good of a time as ever.

Any long run day nutrition recommendations? Gels, carbs, salt, electrolytes, etc.?
aggiespartan
AG
You'll have to experiment a little bit to see what works for you, but I like Skratch for hydration. I was using mostly Gu for gels, but they only have 20g of carbs, and I am finding that I need something a little higher. I ran my last marathon with Spring Energy awesomesauce. During this training block, I'm experimenting with some different nutrition, but I'm making sure it has at least 30g of carbs or higher.
ptothemo
AG
It's going to take some experimentation to find what you like and what works well for you. You might check out The Feed because they have single servings of many things and also have different sampler packs that have single servings of a number of things.

I have tried just about everything out there, and I like Maurten the best. I use the gels and the drink mix, both. They are a bit pricey compared to others, but they work for me.

One thing to be mindful of with the liquid things is having access to them on race day. I don't want to wear a belt or carry bottles, but I can carry gels in my pockets and thankfully have a mom and fiance who are awesome about being where I need them to hand me bottles along the way.
AgCanuck07
AG
I have used Maurten for my last two marathons and really like them. They are quite expensive but easy on the stomach and need less water (compared to GU). Due to the cost, I normally save them for race days and use GU for normal long runs.

Use your training to try different electrolyte options and different nutrition. I like Nuun for electrolytes but also like to try out other options during training.

Also important - if you have never run long distances before, find a good anti-chafe product that you like.
bert harbinson
AG
In order of preference...SIS, Maurten, Huma gels. All well tolerated, SIS is more liquid (and a bit heavy) though I usually follow with a few sips of water. All have caffeine options if you want that. Maurten has highest carb count.

You definitely need to experiment and include whatever is being given out at the race, then maybe you can carry less on race day.
Pepesilvia
AG
Thanks for the replies all. Very helpful. Going to grab a bit of everything and experiment.

Now to fix that runner's knee...
bert harbinson
AG
bert harbinson said:

In order of preference...SIS, Maurten, Huma gels. All well tolerated, SIS is more liquid (and a bit heavy) though I usually follow with a few sips of water. All have caffeine options if you want that. Maurten has highest carb count.

You definitely need to experiment and include whatever is being given out at the race, then maybe you can carry less on race day.
Wanted to add this. Salt Stick fastchews (these are tablets) are pretty benign, taste decent, and are easy to carry, if you want an electrolyte boost greater than sports drinks provide.
aggiespartan
AG
Unless you have issues with sugar substitutes. They make me sick. And it's the first thing I tasted in the fast chews.
Swarely
Another vote for Maurten. Important to know that they have zero electrolytes. Found that out about mile 21 in Berlin.

Speaking of electrolytes, I really like Hammer Nutrition Endurolytes. They are pills, so really easy to take mid run.
Swarely
Also, my best friend is going to the the Miss St game will be running 20 miles that morning. Anyone know of any running groups that meet Saturdays? I don't guess he's run in BCS since the Corps.
K Bo
AG
I was previously using GU gels on longer runs but had been looking for something with higher carbs. Based on this thread I ordered an assortment of gels including Maurten 100/160, SIS, and Spring awesomesauce. I'm ramping up the mileage and looking forward to better fueling on longer runs.
ptothemo
AG
Brazos Runners Club has a run on Saturday mornings listed on their calendar. Other than it being from 7:00 to 9:00 am, there isn't additional information that I can seem to access. I think that there may be a person or two on this board who run with them, so hopefully they will see this and be able to provide more info. If not, there is an email on their site.
AggieOO
Swarely said:

Also, my best friend is going to the the Miss St game will be running 20 miles that morning. Anyone know of any running groups that meet Saturdays? I don't guess he's run in BCS since the Corps.
call Brazos Running Company and ask.
94chem
I make and sell my own electrolytes.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Swarely
You have my interest
bushytailed
AG
Swarely said:

Brazos Runners Club runs on Saturday mornings from Harvey Washbangers at 7am. Get there a few minutes early. There are runners at every pace. They usually post 3 different distances on their Facebook page each week, typically 6, 8, and 10ish miles.

Search for "Brazos Runners Club - Boat of Fools" on Facebook.
94chem
Swarely said:

You have my interest

Atm94unc98 at the google.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
What's everyone's shoe rotation. I started building mine up over the last 3 months. For my daily runners I switch between Ghost 15s and Pegasus 40s. For the trail I use Peregrine 13s. For speed work or tempo runs I use my endorphin speed 3s. And I have a pair of vaporfly 2s I've only used once so far for race day.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
howapi
AG
Saucony rotation. Triumph 20 for easy/long runs, speed 3 for speed work, pro 3 for races.
AggieOO
road - Brooks Launch
trail - Nike Wildhorse
ptothemo
AG
Daily trainers: Pegasus 39 and Ride 15

Recovery: Infinity 3

Workouts: Magic Speed 3, Endorphin Speed 3, Vaporfly 2

Long runs: Alphafly 1

Racing: Vaporfly 3

I would probably be on track to retire a few years earlier if it weren't for the damn running shoes.
K Bo
AG
New Blance FuelCell SuperComp Trainer v2
Saucony Endorphin Speed 3
New Balance FuelCell RC Elite v2
Hoka Speedgoat 5

My NB SC trainers will need replacing in approx 100mi and I'm either going to get another pair or might try the new ON Cloudeclipse. Also considering picking up a pair of Endorphin Pros to replace the RC Elites for race day.
Sweep4-2
Road:
Saucony Endorphin Speed 2 (almost retired),Speed 3, Pro 2. On Cloudmonster for slow days.

Trail:
Saucony Peregrine 12, Hoka Speedgoat 5
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
Benson32
Workout - Vaporfly 3
Medium Long - Speed 3, Adios Pro 3
Long - Prime X Strung
Recovery - Triumph 20, Nimbus 25
Race - Alphafly 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.