Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

***Running Thread***

33,169 Views | 362 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by Swarely
bert harbinson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Daily & recovery: New Balance Rebel 3, Endorphin Speed 1
Long: NB 1080 10, RC Elite 2, More 4
Track & harder runs: Endo Speed 1
Racing: Vaporfly 2, Alphafly 1

Some of these cross over categories.
Ragoo
AG
Clifton 9 - everyday
Rincon 3 - faster

I haven't ever been much of a shoe rotation person.
aggiespartan
AG
Right now I have 2 pairs of Clifton's (1 close to retirement), one pair of Rincons and I think today might be their last run, and a pair of Brooks Hyperion max that I use for race shoes. I may get another pair of Rincons but I think I'm done with Clifton's. I'm not sure where I'm going to go next. My feet don't like plated shoes.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Ran a 21:30 5K today at a beer run. 3 and a half minutes faster than my last 5k.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Jackal99
AG
Ran a 5K with my 10-year old today (his third). He smashed his PR from May by 6 minutes, official time of 31:30. His post-race assessment: "Water and a banana never tasted so good." You got it, kid.
94chem
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

Ran a 21:30 5K today at a beer run. 3 and a half minutes faster than my last 5k.

My son and I were at Back Pew in Porter. I pulled my back the day before, and was happy to make it to the start. He's a sophomore XC runner. Last year we ran together and I was 21:52. He was 21:51. We had no idea until the results came out, with 900 people in the race. This run, he was 19:46 and I was 23:07. He must increase, and I must decrease...
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Awesome! I was there too. I think I actually remember seeing y'all because I heard a father and son talking about cross country.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agdidastech11
AG
I started running early in September with the goal of running a sub 2hr HM in December/January, Chevron Houston most likely.

Anyway, I'm just following my Garmin 245's HM training guide and have a 10 mile easy run scheduled for Saturday. This will be my longest run to date.

I was wondering when yall started taking fluids, gels, or other snacks on runs. Any rules of thumb or time/distance milestones yall recommend for taking something mid-run? I'm planning on taking a 12oz bottle of G1M sport and a couple of gels with me this weekend.
AggieOO
Everyone is different, but for a sub 2 hour half...I'm probably just drinking water. Maybe a gel around mile 7. If its hot, perhaps some electrolytes.
Ragoo
AG
Depends a lot on the weather and humidity.

Summer I will pack my Solomon vest with both soft flasks - blend of NUUN and Tailwind

Fall/Winter - hand held with some NUUN and water.

The more you run the more you find out what weather you suffer more in. Then you pack and plan accordingly.
bert harbinson
AG
I usually carry a gel for runs over 12 miles. Don't always consume it, but if I do it's usually mile 6-8.
In a HM race, one before the start (usually no breakfast), and a caffeine gel to take after the halfway mark, if I remember.
K Bo
AG
I generally run early so most days I have coffee with a tbsp of honey ~30min before every run. I usually take a gel at each 45min interval and depending on the type of run I am doing will depend on whether it's ~25g carbs, 40g carbs, or includes caffeine. I'll bring an extra gel just in case.

On an aside, I have been trying to new gels and I'm really liking Maurten. I will try the Spring awesomesauce this weekend but the flavor and consistency of the Maurten gels have been my fav.

94chem
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

Awesome! I was there too. I think I actually remember seeing y'all because I heard a father and son talking about cross country.
That's a long drive for 2 pints of beer! Hope you tried the Satyr's Swill. It's like Shiner, but good. And the 7.5% will make you forget your troubles.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
I don't drink or eat anything for a half, unless the temperature is over 60.
94chem,
AggieOO
in texas, that's like 95% of the year.
htxag09
AG
AggieOO said:

in texas, that's like 95% of the year.

Are you trying to get him started?!
AgLiving06
Someone was complaining the NY marathon temps were too hot in the 60s. I ran 10 miles on saturday in the upper 60s and was basically perfect.
htxag09
AG
AgLiving06 said:

Someone was complaining the NY marathon temps were too hot in the 60s. I ran 10 miles on saturday in the upper 60s and was basically perfect.

10 miles =\= 26.2……

Everyone is different, but perfect marathon temp for me is like 40.
AggieOO
htxag09 said:

AgLiving06 said:

10 miles =\= 26.2……

And not all upper 60s are equal either. Humid? Overcast? Is there a breeze? Shade, exposed, etc.

I agree, mid 40s for a marathon is about perfect.
The Pilot
AG
I'll take going for an easy recovery run in the 60s, for racing, it's too hot.
94chem
htxag09 said:

AgLiving06 said:

10 miles =\= 26.2……

My 10K PR was at 37 degrees, Half was around 50. 5K was low 60's. About the only race that works at 70 is the mile, since it's so anaerobic.
94chem,
agdidastech11
AG
Thanks for the advice!
wangus12
AG
AgLiving06 said:

My best running friend ran it. She said she was sweating a lot before she was off the Verrazano. The sun was out all day with little to no clouds. For a marathon distance, that is on the warms side for 26 miles. And the pros don't even start until 9AM. Half the runners start between 10:30 and 11:30 in the morning.

Better than last year though. It was 71 degrees when the gun went off at the race last year. Heat was brutal and then it rain for about 15 minutes to build humidity about half way through.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
I used it as an excuse to visit my dad, but also, me and another doctor buddy like traveling around for the run in Texas beer runs. And dang, didn't try that one. Got one of their IPAs and the Gabagool instead (the last one was a mistake lol).
94chem
They sell it at HEB. I refuse to admit that turning a running thread into a beer discussion is a derail.
94chem,
Slackjaw62
What's wrong with my knee?

I have pain in a vertical band medial to my kneecap, feels like it is inside the knee. Nothing hurts to palpation, knee is not grossly swollen.

It is worse first thing in the morning, after sitting for a long time, and after exercise (for example, running). There is pain in the same area with bending the knee. It feels better after walking for a while, and isn't limiting my ability to run typical paces.

Activity: Run regularly, recently added some squats and exercises with jumping (holding off on those, for now).

Currently doing compression and anti-inflammatories, hoping I don't have to take too long off from running.
The Artist Formerly Known as Yokel
Algorithmic Epiphany
aggiederelict
Sounds like an MCL or a plica issues. Most likely a MCL issue.
Sweep4-2
I've also been on the shelf since the BCS Oktoberfest with a really sore knee. My self diagnosis is leading me to 'runners knee' (pain above knee cap, ache behind the knee, stiffness after sitting).

So I've dropped out of several events (Wild Hare, Brazos Bend) in hopes of getting better. Not a happy camper.
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
BlackLab
AG
Anyone run in brooks ghost max? I've been in levitates for a few years but got a pair of the maxs. They feel pretty good so far.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Just did a 6.5 mile tempo run at an 8:00 pace (initially planned for 8:20 pace, but I was feeling good). I'm thinking a 1:45 half marathon might be a possibility for myself in 3 weeks for the RnR. Goal is still sub 1:50, but we'll see.
mrmill3218
AG
9 miles today at an 8:33 average pace. Was a lot of fun.
94chem
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

Just did a 6.5 mile tempo run at an 8:00 pace (initially planned for 8:20 pace, but I was feeling good). I'm thinking a 1:45 half marathon might be a possibility for myself in 3 weeks for the RnR. Goal is still sub 1:50, but we'll see.
If you're running a 21:30 5K, a 1:45 half is definitely doable. I did a 1:44'48" last December after running a 21'51" 5K 3 weeks earlier. I am a runner who gets slower at longer distances. Here are 3 pieces of advice:

1) Get comfortable with the mileage. By that, I mean, make sure you can run 15 miles comfortably. When you get to race day, you want to be able to warm up for 2 miles without worrying about the extra miles. This will allow you to hit the start line at around target pace.

2) Try an interval workout with 1 mile repeats at target pace. Run 8 intervals with 1 lap slow recovery.

3) Run 10 miles at target pace. At that point you will know whether you can maintain that pace (8:00) for another 5K, but there is no reason to actually do it until the race. This is the most important workout. If your schedule is too compressed, shorten it to an 8 mile run.

Good luck with the weather, including the wind. I ran mine in Galveston. Terrible wind 99% of the time.
94chem,
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Thanks for the recs. Yeah, this past month I had planned on doing more race pace workouts, but had a family emergency and then pretty bad plantar fasciitis that sidelined me for two weeks, so my plan kinda got sidetracked. I've done a few 800m interval runs the last two weeks at 6:45 pace, but just subscribed to the advanced running subreddit and found that most recommend mile intervals rather than 800m for half marathon training, so I'll probably switch to that distance.

I plan to do at least 3 more tempo runs, and maybe 1 or 2 more intervals before the race. Already done a few 12 mile runs, probably won't go past 13 miles this go around though due to time constraints, but maybe for my training for the Austin half in February.
94chem
Nothing wrong with gradually working into race pace over the first several miles. It's a real accomplishment to negative split a half. But once you've done that, you'll realize you left some time on the table by not hitting race pace at the gun. No worries. You can knock those 2 minutes off or more next time around.
94chem,

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.