Houston
Sponsored by

Hurricane season 2023

101,786 Views | 738 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by CDUB98
Sugar_Land_Wes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Latest from Linder…changes on the horizon + tropics getting feisty

Changes…

Mid and upper level ridge of high pressure that has been anchored over Texas for weeks will shift around some this week.

Excessive heat and dryness continue over the area…Palacios, Texas has recorded 254 straight hours with a heat index above 100 degrees. College Station has now recorded 35 straight days with a maximum temperature of 100 or above and 13 straight days at 105 or above including 108 on the 11th. BUSH IAH has recorded 15 straight days at or above 100 degrees. While there is likely to be a slight amount of cooling this week…highs at or above 100 remain likely away from the coast.

Tuesday-Wednesday:
Mid level ridge retreats back some to the west with a trough passing over the Great Lakes. A weak front will sag into Texas Monday and move into SE TX late Monday into Tuesday. With the ridge having moved some, sinking air over SE TX will relax with the ridge not exerting as much influence. Will go with 20% chances of showers and thunderstorms on Tuesday and Wednesday with the boundary crossing the area. This will not be drought busting rainfall…but a few lucky locations may see a good downpour…but these will come with a price (see Fire Weather below).

Dry air mass will spread into SE TX behind this weak boundary which looks to stall near or just south of the I-10 corridor. Unfortunately this currently does not look to bring any relief to the coastal counties which continue their oppressive simmer with the near 80 degree dewpoints and high heat index values even at night. North of I-10, dewpoints may fall into the upper 50's and low 60's by Tuesday evening and remain at those levels through Wednesday. Afternoon humidity levels will fall below 30-40% for these areas and while air temperatures will still be in the upper 90's and low 100's heat index values will be closer to those air temperatures instead of 10-15 degrees higher. Will likely be able to cut all the heat advisory and excessive heart warning products out for those areas by Wednesday.

Thursday-Weekend:
Mid level ridge builds back and then northeast of Texas…heat and humidity will be back in place by Thursday and heat index values are likely to push over advisory and/or into warning levels yet again. So whatever brief relief the area experiences on Tuesday and Wednesday will be quickly gone. However, the ridge parks off to the northeast and this does open the door for increasing Gulf moisture to begin to spread toward Texas next weekend and especially into the following week (see Tropics below).

Fire Weather:
Fuel loads remain critically dry, but winds have been slowly coming down each day. Similar conditions to this weekend will be in place on Monday. Tuesday and Wednesday will feature our frontal boundary crossing the area with dry air sinking into the region. Afternoon humidity values on Tuesday and Wednesday will be very low north of HWY 105 (less than 30%) and this may reach down toward I-10. Winds will be out of the north or northeast at 5-15mph (not overly strong), but with critically dry fuel loads and a dry and well mixed air mass there will be potential for fire. Additionally, isolated storms near and around the boundary may ignite fires (this could be as early as Monday evening up north and northeast) and then dropping across more of the area Tuesday. Any isolated storms could also produce gusty winds which could quickly fan any fire and result in erratic behavior.

Tropics:
While there is nothing of immediate concern…conditions do look to be changing over the next 7-10 days toward more favorable for tropical cyclone formation. With the position of the mid level ridge next week located to the northeast of Texas, this will open the potential for tropical waves to move into and across the Gulf of Mexico and toward the Texas coast. The GFS, CMC, and ECMWF all show a decent tropical wave axis moving into and across the Gulf and reaching Texas around the 21/22. Some of the operational guidance and their ensemble members show this feature trying to close off a surface low while nearing the NW Gulf coast. Will have to watch this time period for model consistency over the next few days. Generally speaking the upper air pattern looks increasingly favorable for tropical development with a large surge of tropical moisture moving into the Gulf latter this week, rising air over the eastern Pacific moving into the Gulf early next week, and of course the well above average Gulf water temperatures sitting in the upper 80's.
AgLiving06
GFS continues to be spicy. Gonna be an interesting 45 days or so
Agasaurus Tex
AG
The only thing you can count on with the GFS model is that every run will be completely different from the previous run. If you get three runs with consistent results then you can start stocking up on bleach.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Nothing of note in this update: https://theeyewall.com/
Cromagnum
AG
GFS has developed phantom canes when nothing else is going on for as long as I can remember. I wouldn't pay it any mind until something actually starts brewing.
maroon barchetta
Agasaurus Tex said:

The only thing you can count on with the GFS model is that every run will be completely different from the previous run. If you get three runs with consistent results then you can start stocking up on bleach.

I still have bleach from winter storm Uri. Is it expired?
AgLiving06
Both the Euro and GFS wants something to come to us on the 22nd that looks like some good rain. GFS seems to spin it up a bit more than the Euro, but both seem like good relief from the heat.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Have this thing come in as a small trop storm go right up Victoria through 87 to San Antonio then bank right over dfw and move on within a day or so dropping 6-10 over the whole state in 2 days
98Ag99Grad
AG

I assume this is what they are seeing. Some rain would be nice.
BG Knocc Out
jenn96 said:

Marvin_Zindler said:

Cromagnum said:

There's no way last year was worse than this summer. I don't believe that for a second.
People forgot how hot June 2022 was. It actually cooled down in July.

Last year seemed worse to me because we didn't get ANY rain for 2+ months, at least not at my house in Cypress. At least this summer we've had a shower once a month or so, and more earlier in the summer. My yard is a lot less dead.

I will say the temps the last couple of weeks have seemed insanely hot.
Here in Cypress, my hard is scorched. Can barely water it enough. So much of it gets very little relief from the constant sunlight all day every day. I would settle for just an overcast day sprinkled in here or there, but every day is just unrelenting scorching sunlight with no water.

In June and through most of July the yard was looking awesome. Now it's worse each day. I HATE how they did our entire neighborhood with Bermuda. It's an awful grass for Houston.
AgLiving06
Euro seems to want to dump quite a bit of rain next week. fingers crossed that's what we get.
V8Aggie
AG
My Bermuda looks great. You over watering?

I'm in cypress.
BG Knocc Out
V8Aggie said:

I'm in cypress.
No. Maybe underwatering, but sprinklers are set to twice a week all zones, and I also manually sprinkler the now scorched chunks of the backyard a few times a week. We are on a funky culdesac location and our backyard is huge. I honestly think a lot of our section is on crappy built up clay dominant soil. I've dug to try to plant a few things before and it's mostly clay, which is horrible for plants/roots. I don't know...all I know is that our home in Oak Forest had Bermuda too, and from my experience, you have to baby the sh** out of it for it to look good. Whereas St Augustine is resilient and low maintenance.
wessimo
AG
Hot heat to be temporarily replaced by drier heat midweek.

Rain coming next week?
P.H. Dexippus
AG

Ryan the Temp
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

Cromagnum
AG
BG Knocc Out said:

V8Aggie said:

I'm in cypress.
No. Maybe underwatering, but sprinklers are set to twice a week all zones, and I also manually sprinkler the now scorched chunks of the backyard a few times a week. We are on a funky culdesac location and our backyard is huge. I honestly think a lot of our section is on crappy built up clay dominant soil. I've dug to try to plant a few things before and it's mostly clay, which is horrible for plants/roots. I don't know...all I know is that our home in Oak Forest had Bermuda too, and from my experience, you have to baby the sh** out of it for it to look good. Whereas St Augustine is resilient and low maintenance.

You have those reversed for sure. I can talk bad about St Augustine and it will get some kind of lawn AIDS and die. I can ignore Bermuda, and sneezing on it will bring it back to life.
Kceovaisnt-
AG
I've had both grass types. Bermuda wins in Houston. I doesn't do that well in the shade but it never gets too hot cinch bugs don't like it, fungus won't kill it and it doesn't need much water.

Most people who struggle with it don't mow it often enough or keep it too high. If you are mowing it 3 inches or taller it is fighting itself for sun and thins out. Next spring, scalp it down and mow it every 3-5 days at 2" and you're welcome. If you want it to look like a baseball infield, get a reel mower and keep it cut to half an inch. You may have to mow twice a week but holy smokes it will look so good you neighbors will stop and tug on it. Lol.
maroon barchetta
Doing something that encourages people to enter your yard and tug on your grass doesn't sound appealing
Sea Speed
AG
Neither does mowing 2x a week with a reel mower.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Sea Speed said:

Neither does mowing 2x a week with a reel mower.

Man, if I had endless money and time I'd love to mow twice a week with my $2000 reel mower and have a yard the envy of the neighborhood. But alas I have to try and squeeze in my mow sometime on the weekend and live with the dips and divots and areas being missed by the sprinklers.
Sea Speed
AG
Having a perfect yard is for retired people and men with no real hobbies.

Eta or without small children
ChipFTAC01
AG
Well if I had endless time and money I'd probably be retired. And still have time for other things. Like playing gin and cribbage with other old men, drinking coffee and reading the newspaper at my leisure and yelling at thr squirrels on my lawn.
Ag_07
AG
If I endless time and money I sure as hell wouldn't be mowing twice a week.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Ag_07 said:

but my vatos would!
redag06
Sea Speed said:

Having a perfect yard is for retired people and men with no real hobbies.

Eta or without small children
Or those with children.....an oppurtunity to "get away" for a bit
ChipFTAC01
AG
Ag_07 said:

I've always enjoyed mowing, even in high school. Sense of "I did that it looks good now".
texasaggie2015
AG
I saw lots of new posts on this thread and thought "oh **** a hurricane is coming"

Nope it's just a bunch of old guys talking about their lawns
Ag_07
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Ag_07 said:

I've always enjoyed mowing, even in high school. Sense of "I did that it looks good now".

Used to feel that way. Now with 2 kids under 6 I don't want to spend 2-4 hours every weekend doing yard work.

Now I swear that the $40 I pay the lawn men is best money ever spent.
maroon barchetta
It's a time thing for sure. Time is finite. It's also undefeated. Better to use it for other things.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I have no kids and can guarantee you it's the best money I spend too.
redag06
Ag_07 said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

Ag_07 said:

Used to feel that way. Now with 2 kids under 6 I don't want to spend 2-4 hours every weekend doing yard work.

Now I swear that the $40 I pay the lawn men is best money ever spent.
As someone who takes pride in their lawn, every time I pay someone when I'm too busy, it kills me how crappy the yard guys are, they never mow to the correct height, which is awful during this heat,etc.
maroon barchetta
If my guy would go a little slower my grass would look better but he flies on that big John Deere.

Poor guy is probably starving this summer except for mowing yards with irrigation systems.
Sea Speed
AG
I had not mowed im three weeks and thought inwas going to come home to a jungle but it looks more like Lahaina in my yard than the amazon.
maroon barchetta
Sea Speed said:

I had not mowed im three weeks and thought inwas going to come home to a jungle but it looks more like Lahaina in my yard than the amazon.

Haven't mowed or had mowing done all summer. It's too much to try and water. I'll replace grass after the summer if needed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.