Houston
Sponsored by

Hurricane season 2023

99,238 Views | 738 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by CDUB98
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You schlongs don't forget to hose down your ac units. Rain usually washes them for us.
maroon barchetta
Milwaukees Best Light said:

You schlongs don't forget to hose down your ac units. Rain usually washes them for us.

How much bleach should I use?
Cromagnum
AG
maroon barchetta said:

The more the better. You want the biggest hole in the aluminum you can make so you can pull in more fresh air.
maroon barchetta
Cromagnum said:

maroon barchetta said:

The more the better. You want the biggest hole in the aluminum you can make so you can pull in more fresh air.

Science!!
98Ag99Grad
AG
Morning update: https://theeyewall.com/

Rain totals for next week not looking as promising but should still get something.
BayAg_14

Directions unclear. Pissed on my a/c unit now it's making a weird noise.
BG Knocc Out
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Check again this morning

Sometimes I don't know why i live here. Amarillo, even with it's stench when the winds blow from a certain direction, would be more pleasant.
tk for tu juan
40 years ago today, Hurricane Alicia

Quote:

Alicia was the first hurricane to make landfall on the United States since Hurricane Allen struck South Texas in August 1980 over three years prior, ending the longest period of the twentieth century without a landfalling hurricane on the U.S. coast.
BG Knocc Out
tk for tu juan said:

I slept through that bish when I was little and that's when my momma realized she had a stone cold baby gangster on her hands.

Ag_07
AG
Yeah...Who apparently can't handle a little Houston August heat.
BG Knocc Out
Ag_07 said:

Yeah...Who apparently can't handle a little Houston August heat.
Well, the August heat started in early June this year, but fair point, I never said I was still a gangster.
maroon barchetta
tk for tu juan said:

Quote:

Alicia was the first hurricane to make landfall on the United States since Hurricane Allen struck South Texas in August 1980 over three years prior, ending the longest period of the twentieth century without a landfalling hurricane on the U.S. coast.

Sat outside with my brother, mom and dad, aunt and uncle and cousins, and Jim Goode at the Goode Co. location on Kirby and watched the first winds blow in.

We rode out the storm at my uncle's house near Rice University. My mom and Jim Goode grew up on the same street and used to play together as little kids.

It was hard to get down any streets over there after the storm. Those big beautiful trees shed a lot of big limbs that night.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
First big storm I remember going through. I left for college the next week but returned on weekends to help with removing carpet and sheet rock.
98Ag99Grad
AG
we "evacuated" from Dickinson to Missouri City and stayed with my grandparents. I just remember seeing sheets of rain coming down and the little tree in their front yard bent 90-degrees in the wind. My parents were worried about tornadoes but luckily nothing happened to our house. Couple of leaks but nothing major.
Serotonin
AG
Sea Speed said:

Maybe it is the breeze and the shade, but at my house it is freaking awesome out. I was floored when I walked out this morning
It was the dew point.

That's the one practical takeaway I've gotten from SCW. Dew point dictates how it feels outside.

90 degree day will feel crisp and amazing if there's a 55 degree dew point

76 degree day will feel oppressive and uncomfortable with a 70 degree dew point

Bogey1996
The thing I remember about Alicia was going outside when the eye was overhead. So calm, right in the middle of the storm.
maroon barchetta
Bogey1996 said:

The thing I remember about Alicia was going outside when the eye was overhead. So calm, right in the middle of the storm.

That was like 2am for us.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I think % of relative humidity is more relevant number. The dew point is the temperature at which the temperature needs to be to reach 100% humidity (often meaning rain). Like the cold glass of water sweating, if you cool hot air, it causes the water to the air to condense. Hot air can hold more moisture than cold air, so all else equal, the relative humidity of hot air is less than cold air (for all of those with oversized HVACs, this is why your house feels humid when it cools down too fast without sucking the water out through the coil).

All that to say, a 50 degree dew point isn't going to feel dry and chapstick-y when it's 50 degrees ambient outside. I'd take 76 dew point and 104 degrees ambient over 95% humidity and 90 degree ambient any day.
Serotonin
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

I think % of relative humidity is more relevant number. The dew point is the temperature at which the temperature needs to be to reach 100% humidity (often meaning rain). Like the cold glass of water sweating, if you cool hot air, it causes the water to the air to condense. Hot air can hold more moisture than cold air, so all else equal, the relative humidity of hot air is less than cold air (for all of those with oversized HVACs, this is why your house feels humid when it cools down too fast without sucking the water out through the coil).

All that to say, a 50 degree dew point isn't going to feel dry and chapstick-y when it's 50 degrees ambient outside. I'd take 76 dew point and 104 degrees ambient over 95% humidity and 90 degree ambient any day.
I agree with you on that last point but aren't we both simply saying that we prefer a dew point of 76 over a dew point of 88?

With relative humidity it's really contingent on temperature.

Take a place like San Diego where RH is often 60-70% but the weather feels perfect because dew point is mid-50s.

Relative humidity can be 70% and it can feel great outside or it can feel miserable. With a dew point of 58 it's always going to feel great.

I can't find Eric's post about it on SCW but his point was that dew point is the quickest one number you can reference to understand how nice it feels outside, and I've found that to definitely be the case. YMMV though.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Quote:

Relative humidity can be 70% and it can feel great outside or it can feel miserable. With a dew point of 58 it's always going to feel great.
If the dew point is 58 and it is 58 degrees outside, its going to feel like a foggy/rainy/cold day in Seattle (miserable). But I agree, dew point can be a good indicator..

By the way, it looks like Hilary is a going to be a rare California hurricane.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Alicia took the roof off of our house. Interior had to be about 80% gutted and rebuilt in addition to replacing the roof. PTSD kicks in every hurricane season whenever a storm threatens the gulf.
AgLiving06
I was born 2 days after alicia came through, due to the pressure changes the storm caused.
RebelE91
AG
I was 14 when Alicia came through. We left for Disney World right before it spun up and came home afterward. I was so disappointed I missed the action.

Those folks in California are about to lose their minds. F'n global warming.
MAS444
AG
I was at my grandparents house on bluebonnet in braes heights area during Alicia. I distinctly remember their huge nature pecan tree swaying from side to side. It was scary and awesome.
chilimuybueno
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Quote:

I remember one of my colleagues here in Houston spent the entire night and early morning in his closet in his apartment complex. He was from somewhere in the northeast.
Dr. Doctor
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

Relativity humidity will change with the temperature. The absolute moisture content of the air will change (more moisture in the air) as the air heats up.

A 50% RH at 75F and 50% RH at 100F is two different levels of moisture. That's where the dew point comes in; the dew point will indicate the moisture content and better compares similar temperatures, but different moisture contents.

What everyone will need to read to fully understand is a "Psychrometric Chart". The thing that gives MEEN and CHEN people nightmares....

~egon
evestor1
Your not an OG until you start talking about Storms. Yall are old!
chilimuybueno
AG
evestor1 said:

Your not an OG until you start talking about Storms. Yall are old!
Show some respect sonny!
Cromagnum
AG
Serotonin said:

Sea Speed said:

Maybe it is the breeze and the shade, but at my house it is freaking awesome out. I was floored when I walked out this morning
It was the dew point.

That's the one practical takeaway I've gotten from SCW. Dew point dictates how it feels outside.

It's 102 with 40% humidity outside. The only thing crisp is my yard. It feels amazingly ****ing hot. (Yea I realize humidity and dew point are not the same)
Serotonin
AG
Cromagnum said:

Serotonin said:

Sea Speed said:

It was the dew point.

It's 102 with 40% humidity outside. The only thing crisp is my yard. It feels amazingly ****ing hot. (Yea I realize humidity and dew point are not the same)
Yeah, today dewpoint is 71, definitely in uncomfortable zone.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
AgLiving06 said:

I was born 2 days after alicia came through, due to the pressure changes the storm caused.
I don't think people get pregnant from pressure changes.
GiggityAg01
AG
I had a Dr Pepper the day before Alicia hit.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

AgLiving06 said:

I don't think people get pregnant from pressure changes.

Read that again.
aTm '99
wessimo
AG
atmtws
AG
This would happen with this POTATUS in office…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.