Houston
Sponsored by

Harris County Commissioner's Court

66,610 Views | 568 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by TJaggie14
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At this point, I don't care about the BS or who started it. I just want to know how much I have to fork over at the end of the year, since the markets are in the ****ter right now.
slavy06
AG
If you go to https://harris.trueprodigy-taxtransparency.com/taxTransparency/propertySearch and either put in your address or HCAD account number it will show your estimated tax based on 2022 valuation for both the "no new revenue" and the "voter approved" tax rates.
TarponChaser
slavy06 said:

I love how all the arguments about "budget cuts" are comparing the FY2023 proposed budgets to the "no new revenue" budget and not to the FY2022 budget. In essence the county departments are complaining that their budgets aren't increasing from last year and instead of trimming areas of unnecessary spend for pet projects, we are going to tell the public that this is affecting law enforcement and healthcare budgets.

That's what some call the "firemen first fallacy" in public budget politics and it typically comes from the left. Like you noted, the lefties ALWAYS want bigger budgets which typically go to 90% BS pet projects with the remainder to the actual services government should provide (ie- public safety, infrastructure, schools) and when those on the right object to huge budget increases for 37 new Executive Director of Lefthanded Transgender Lesbian Outreach positions, each making $150K per year, the lefties scream about how the FD and PD will go unfunded and roads remain full of potholes that can swallow a 1969 Cadillac Coupe D'ville.
abomba
AG
They called a special meeting for next Tuesday at 2:30, looks like to try and ram through the same budget / tax rates without discussion. Makes me miss Ed Emmett - he did a better job of working with both sides and bringing the court together. Hidalgo just goes along with whatever Garcia and Ellis propose.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

TexasMom said:

Her symptoms don't add up. She claims stomach flu, bad reaction to antibiotics, an ovarian cyst, and a fever all caused her to go to the ER. She seemed to enjoy telling way too much about her symptoms today. Not very professional either. She went on and on.
Is she even healthy enough to serve as County Judge if re-elected? That's one question this raises.
I wonder when this photo-op was from? Before, after, or during her supposed health emergency?

B spends a lot of time traveling outside of the county working on her "rising star."
Sea Speed
AG
A county judge shouldn't be involved in even a tenth of the activist bs things she is involved with.
Buying_time
AG
This was before the anxiety health crisis. Dora the Exploiter made the trek after the RvW decision.
AlaskanAg99
AG
And 15 minutes to even start the video feed to this special meeting.
AlaskanAg99
AG
And it's on.

Republicans absent.
Irish 2.0
AlaskanAg99 said:

And it's on.

Republicans absent.
I bet the Republicans were there and Lina's dumbass ambushed them with her bull**** agenda and they turned around and walked out.
Jack Klompus
AG
AlaskanAg99
AG
Beats me. I looked at both 3&4 precincts for a news statement.

She's flat out lying, confusing the verbiage of the tax rate vs the effective tax rate.

The only true tax cut is what the Republicans are doing by implementing a no new revenue rate.

Which is still deceptive because every new home built in the county in the last year is adding to the tax base.
Irish 2.0

AlaskanAg99
AG
Important dates.
Last day to adopt a tax rate is 10/28.
State law requires tax rates to be published at least 7 days prior to the vote. So they would have to be printed 10/21, this Friday. I'm assuming they have to have the order into the Chronical the day before to make the print deadline.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Speakers are now up.
jetch17
AG
She mad.

taba82
AG
More propaganda from winnie Lina
Mike
Aggie Band '82
AlaskanAg99
AG
Archived video hasn't been posted yet.

But I did watch last week's when she high tailed it out. Sort of funny but the audio is kind if messed up and you can't hear the loud booing when she leaves. Interesting technical glitch.
agnerd
AG
The actual agenda item is as follows:
Quote:

Request for discussion and possible action to propose tax rates for Harris
County, the Harris County Flood Control District, and the Harris County
Hospital District for a public hearing and possible adoption on a future date.
Lina and the county attorney tweeted that a tax rate could not be adopted at the meeting. But by adding "and possible action" to the agenda item, it seems like they contradicted their tweets. I'd be nervous about attending that meeting if I were Cagle or Ramsey. They add "for...possible adoption on a future date" but I don't know how binding that is. I could've seen the county attorney "change his mind" and decide that suddenly they could adopt a tax rate. Not like Lina has a record of hiring employees that respect ethics or follow laws.
schmellba99
AG
Sea Speed said:

A county judge shouldn't be involved in even a tenth of the activist bs things she is involved with.
No kidding.

Look at her mud slinging ads against Mealer - absolutely none of the topics she brings up have anything to do with the actual day to day duties of a county judge. Just like the left's obsession with killing babies doesn't have anything to do with a county judge.
schmellba99
AG
jetch17 said:

She mad.

Guess her "food poisoning" has run its course, finally.
taba82
AG
The D's are just pissed because the R's have the upper hand and they can't control the outcome. If the R's don't show up for a rate setting meeting, the law forces a rate the D's don't want.

Given how the D's have run the County since Lina took office (redirect funds to social issues, changing of Pct 3 & 4), this is just karma for the D's.
Mike
Aggie Band '82
AlaskanAg99
AG
Video is up.

Since each budget and tax is individual, they're debating splitting each tax rate into its own individual hearing. Which would prevent ramming through all at the same time.

The real big sticking point is Healthcare. I'd bet if they split the health care tax rate to its own hearing it'll happen and be passed. There is a real and very expensive issue of building another trauma level 1 hospital, which I believe is necessary as the city/county have exploded in population.

Although this brings up another issue. If they have multiple tax hearings, I wonder if Hidalgo would use the sherrifs to force them to stay. They only need be present to form a quorum. This could be wild.
Sea Speed
AG
I don't doubt she would pull some shady tricks and antics to take more from the citizens.
YellAg2004
AG
What if they joined via Zoom, as has been done frequently over the last 2+ years. They join for the ones they want to attend/support, then log off for the others. That also prevents her from trying any antics with law enforcement.

Ramsey and Cagle should both say they have COVID-like symptoms and they don't want to risk endangering the judge in her food poisoning-weakened condition. They are waiting for the results of their tests to come in, but in the mean time, they're joining virtually.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Don't know what the rules are regarding a tax hearing. This is a different kind of meeting with special rules, at least around what constitutes a quorum.

I missed yesterday's meeting so I don't know what was discussed. They have until this Friday to post to the Chronical of what they will do on 10/28. Which is the final day to set a tax rate.

The 11/15 court will for sure be the next time they're all together So i can imagine there will be fireworks.
94chem
Maybe we wouldn't need a new trauma one hospital if Lina would quit putting killers on the street.

Maybe she should fund her budget with the $11MM she tried to steal. Speaking of getting wings clipped...anyway, I'm sure she's funneled plenty elsewhere that we don't know about. Probably getting rake-offs whenever Ellis sells some of his unexplained African art trove.

Maybe, and I know this is a stretch, she should admit that with valuations up 40% in the last 2 years, any rate reduction of less than 28% is a tax INCREASE. But as we know, libs can't handle basic math. I doubt she can even understand what I just wrote.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
AlaskanAg99
AG
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/lina-hidalgo-harris-county-commissioners-court-17514688.php

Over the special meeting on Monday.

"Cagle and Ramsey's absences have stalled the 2023 county budget proposed by the three Democrat commissioners. State law requires four members of the court to be present in order to vote on the county tax rate and annual budget. If a new budget and tax rate are not approved by October 28, the county will adopt a "no new revenue" budget. In the case of a "no new budget" scenario, the county will collect the same sum of tax revenue levied in the previous year plus revenue from properties added to county rolls in 2022, the latter being taxed at the 2021 rate."
taba82
AG
Oh ok, so the D's are saying "no new revenue" or tax revenue is the same for 2023 as it was for 2022 is a CUT in revenue... only they can do math this way
Mike
Aggie Band '82
AlaskanAg99
AG
I didn't realize Tuesday special meeting was a continuation of the regular meeting after Lina ran off

Tuesday 10/25
10am Tax Hearing for Harris County and the Port District

2pm. The regular meeting which will also include a tax hearing for the Hospital Dist and Flood Control.

These are 2 different meetings with their own agenda. It should not be possible to be ambushed and create a quorum to vote for all 4 tax rates.

Prediction: R's will be absent at the 10am meeting.

Not sure if they're going to show up in the afternoon. Garcia is proposing a lower tax rare than initially considered proposed. However, he's doing this by using HCTRA mobility funds to pay down $14M in debt. By lowering the debt, it lowers the needed general funds to be taxed and paid for. In the end, the county will still realize the same new revenue. 1:53:30 they explain this. Budgetary tricks.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Court has begun for the first tax hearing.

https://agenda.harriscountytx.gov/

As expected the Rs are a no show. Which will cause a default to the no-new revenue rates.

Lina on her soap box. She mad there won't be an expansion to the government budgets. According to her the government is on the verge of a shutdown.
cryption
Oh no not a shutdown .... you mean the govt won't be able to make things worse? I'm so disappointed
Sea Speed
AG
"Those mean ole Rs won't give us any more of the people's money."
abomba
AG
These speakers don't understand how the process works. If either Cagle or Ramsey shows up there won't be a discussion, the D's budget will be rammed through 3-1 or 3-2.
AlaskanAg99
AG
1st speaker, in support of Rs.
2nd speaker, lives in Acres Homes and said everyone needs to go and start from scratch.
3rd speaker, same guy that shows up frequently and rambles. But in support of Rs.
5th speaker. TX civil rights...supports Rs because they're not increasing Sherriffs budget. Also in support of additional funding for ending home evictions (ARPA funds). Strange bedfellows.
6th: split.

Oh lord...guy claiming he's going to be eaten by alligators during the next flood. This guy is out of control, and of course Lina gave him more time to scream.

There's a comedian, he's talking about suing Kanye West for 4 quadrillion dollars.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.