Houston
Sponsored by

Harris County Commissioner's Court

72,683 Views | 568 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by TJaggie14
AlaskanAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YellAg2004 said:

Was there any debate held in open court, or was it all in executive session?
They spoke for awhile after the speakers, but I don't know about what, had it on mute. All in it was less than 2hrs, and they did break for executive session.
Al Bula
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

"Harris County Commissioners Court this week is expected to hire an outside law firm to take legal action against the state and Comptroller Glenn Hegar, who accused the county of defunding law enforcement in violation of state law.

The accusation by Hegar, delivered in a letter to county Judge Lina Hidalgo last week, blocks Harris County from approving its proposed $2.2 billion budget for the fiscal year that begins Oct. 1."
abomba
AG
So far today Cagle and Ramsey are breaking quorum to block the property tax rate and budget.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I started it late and I'm on my to jury duty, so some fireworks will happen.

I did catch a portion of Linas speech last night on how great it is they're reducing the tax rate. Flat ourlt ignoring the fact they're required to by law AND people will pay more regardless.
abomba
AG
Ramsey's official statement: https://www.pct3.com/News-Room/commissioner-ramseys-statement-regarding-budget-and-tax-rate-for-fy-2023
redag06
Was at an event where Cagle spoke last week.....got a little bit fired up about the direction of Harris County, and alluded to the fact that he wouldn't be there for the bond vote.
Jack Klompus
AG
Sounds like the Democrats pulled all Precinct 3 and 4 agenda items today in Comm. Cagle and Ramsey's absence.

jswags
AG
I hope her followers are speed readers.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Starred the Court.

Some duplicitis of promoting the lowest tax rate in years, yet people will pay more. Maxing out the VARS rate will result in a reduced tax rate while driving tax receipts for the county.

Other odd items
County Engineer
$1.17M for Crime Reduction through Environmental Design, using one time ARPA funds, under the COVID category
$20M for reducing court backlog from ARPA funds.

Watching Lina is mad. Her voice continues to break, like she's about to cry.

Essentially the Ds made a budget that completely ignored the Rs, and now Hella mad they can't do what they want. The role of the county Judge is CEO and to work with the precincts to resolve issues. In this case she's ignoring her primary duty and when it involves budgets and tax rates, a quorum of 4 is needed.

At 2:48 (former) Commissioner Raddack speaks to highlight the fear mongering by all three department heads are appointed and essentially told what to say. Points out that had they made room in the budget to hire more constables and sheriff's this budget would have sailed through.
Buying_time
AG
Dora the Exploiter is pushing for the fighting crime by planting trees and improving sidewalks - $50 million. Did not say where funding was coming from, just gave 1 suggestion.

https://www.khou.com/amp/article/news/local/harris-county-announces-50-million-infrastructure-project-to-prevent-crime/285-81b6cbee-5bb2-4d6c-a742-5db58af6280b

Snip from article.

Too often, blighted buildings, dark streets, unsafe and abandoned structures serve as incubators of crime and of gun violence," says Hidalgo. "Places where families don't even have the benefit of a sidewalk to get to school, even some things like air conditioning or trees to find comfort in the oppressive heat of summer. Those are the places where the seeds of criminal activity often find refuge."

Judge Hidalgo says the $50 million will not be taken from other county budgets. Instead, it'll come from sources like the county's Capital Investment Program. She cites one of the studies that the proposal is based on, saying the project could improve public safety and save money in the future.

Sea Speed
AG
Yea and it could also do jack **** to stop crime
AlaskanAg99
AG
Be interesting to see where this work is being done.

I've heard griping more than once that the unincorporated areas are funding an oversized share of work in cities. The bulk of which are Pct 1&2.
TarponChaser
troy_y said:

Dora the Exploiter is pushing for the fighting crime by planting trees and improving sidewalks - $50 million. Did not say where funding was coming from, just gave 1 suggestion.

https://www.khou.com/amp/article/news/local/harris-county-announces-50-million-infrastructure-project-to-prevent-crime/285-81b6cbee-5bb2-4d6c-a742-5db58af6280b

Snip from article.

Too often, blighted buildings, dark streets, unsafe and abandoned structures serve as incubators of crime and of gun violence," says Hidalgo. "Places where families don't even have the benefit of a sidewalk to get to school, even some things like air conditioning or trees to find comfort in the oppressive heat of summer. Those are the places where the seeds of criminal activity often find refuge."

Judge Hidalgo says the $50 million will not be taken from other county budgets. Instead, it'll come from sources like the county's Capital Investment Program. She cites one of the studies that the proposal is based on, saying the project could improve public safety and save money in the future.

Sounds suspiciously close to the "broken windows theory" of policing and crime prevention. Something which progs like her claim is racist.
cryption
The city planted a lot of trees by me. They never watered them and now they're all dead. Money well spent.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Tomorrow is Court again.
This will be the 2nd and I believe final chance they have at a Tax and Budget Hearing before both are set by law.

Will be very interesting to watch and see if they can make a quorum or not.
Jack Klompus
AG
Doubt the Rs will be there. The judge has been blowing up Nextdoor and twitter claiming that if the new budget isn't passed, every county department will surely implode.

Commissioner Ramsey has created a counter message saying that the budget will remain the same as last year instead of "losing" money that the judge claims.

He is also using the judges own words against her, after she praised the democratic state legislators for high-tailing it to DC when they broke quorum in Austin.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Same budget, but costs are way up. So departments will have to do less for the same funding.

But with ARPA funds being used liberally I don't know how they can massage budgets. When those funds run out all their associated employees will *poof* be let go.
AlaskanAg99
AG
https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2022/09/27/judge-lina-hidalgo-asking-county-attorneys-office-to-consider-authority-to-require-commissioners-to-attend-court-meeting/

Hidalgo released the following statement on the matter:

"I'm asking the County Attorney's Office to review Commissioners Court's authority compelling or requiring commissioners to attend the meeting in order to allow us to fund the county. Nothing is off the table at this point. Including looking into the County's ability to issue a contempt order if they do not appear for the vote.

I have submitted a letter to the County Attorney's Office Asking that they look into the options and present them to us tomorrow. And if I have the authority to issue a notice for them to appear and a requirement for them to appear, I will do so."
AlaskanAg99
AG
From earlier on the prior court putting a hold on all Pct 3&4 action items.

https://www.pct3.com/News-Room/commissioner-ramsey-responds-to-courts-attack-on-precinct-3-projects-resident-services

Responds to Court's Attack on Precinct 3 Projects and Resident Services
"Today was a new low in county commissioner politics affecting only Precinct 3 and 4 residents. In response to Commissioner Cagle and I representing the wishes of our residents regarding the 2023 budget, Commissioner Garcia, aided by Commissioner Ellis and Judge Hidalgo, pulled Precincts 3 and 4 action items from today's agenda. The items include residents' community center wellness classes, community maintenance schedules, flood rescue equipment, and roadway and drainage projects.

Going after each other's infrastructure projects and resident services sets a dangerous precedent. I asked to set aside $20M for more patrol officers. For this, Judge Hidalgo and Commissioners Ellis and Garcia are punishing Precinct 3 residents by, yet again, disrupting Precinct 3 services and projects. This is retaliation against Harris County residents at its lowest level. It punishes residents because they disagree about having a responsible fiscal budget. It's childish and embarrassing for the court and Harris County.

Previously, Commissioners have held an agreement to respect the boundaries of one another's Precinct. Today's action is the latest example of Precinct 3 residents being stripped of services by the current Court.

October 2021 saw the largest redistricting of its kind in Harris County with the swap of Precincts 3 and 4 and their voters, placing 47% of all unincorporated County portions within Precinct 3, yet restricting the Precinct to only 25% of the budget for services."
AlaskanAg99
AG
Court starts in 10 minutes at 10am.

https://agenda.harriscountytx.gov/
AlaskanAg99
AG
Cagle and Ramsey are no shows.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Starting off with Taxes and Budget.

Lina talking doom and gloom if they can't adopt a bigger budget and higher effective tax rate. In the end, she's failed as the county CEO because she didn't negotiate a budget between the 4 commissioners. It was the their way, or no way. However, fundamental misunderstanding that she doesn't have complete control.

Focusing on reducing the tax rate...while ignoring the tax effective impact on the rate payer.
Ryan the Temp
AG
So without quorum, do the tax rates default to what they were last year?
abomba
AG
No, it defaults to the "no new revenue rate" - which means taxes are adjusted based on the appraisal rates. Since values increased (a lot), the tax rate is decreased to create the same amount of revenue as it did the year before. If appraisal values decreased, the tax rate would increase to produce the same amount of revenue.
tb9665
Sounds like Brazos County mess.
Ryan the Temp
AG
abomba said:

If appraisal values decreased,
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You got jokes today ...
abomba
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

abomba said:

If appraisal values decreased,
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You got jokes today ...
Exactly - as if that would ever happen!
AlaskanAg99
AG
Correct on taxes. The proposed rates have generally an effective tax rate of 3.4X% increase if this was adopted.

Hearing is ending, going to executive session to see if they can't compel the sheriff's (?) To bring them to court per the article I linked above. They'll be discussing this with the county attorney.
Sea Speed
AG
If theybqre out of the county wouldn't she be SOL?
AlaskanAg99
AG
I'd think so. I don't believe county sheriff's can cross county lines. That's of course if they even know where they are.

Probably on a boat in Lake Charles.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Exec Session has ended. About to start back up.
AlaskanAg99
AG
They're going to hold a 3rd tax hearing Oct 11th.

I'm not sure when they have to have this voted on.
Ryan the Temp
AG
I think tax rates have to be set by November 1st so the tax office can prepare and mail bills.

See next post below
AlaskanAg99
AG
Interesting. Discussing how much unallocated ARPA funds remain.

Budget Director: all ARPA funds have been allocated.

2nd question, what happens to these programs when fed funding runs out. It will result in tax increases. However, that 3.5% cap will not permit these programs to continue. So discussing using 1 time reserve funds to keep these programs in place. All it does is kick the can down the road.

Because cutting programs apparently isn't a possibility.
Ryan the Temp
AG
You migth disregard my last post. I'm not sure the County can do that, unless HCAD approved the appraisal rolls on or after August 12th.

According to the State Comptroller, the deadline is September 29th.
Quote:

• Last day for taxing units to adopt tax rate for the current year, or before the 60th day after the date the certified appraisal roll is received by a taxing unit, whichever is later. Failure to adopt by these required dates results in a unit adopting the lower of its no-new-revenue tax rate for this year or last year's tax rate; unit's governing body must ratify new rate within five days of establishing rate (Sec. 26.05(a) and(c)).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.