Houston
Sponsored by

Harris County Commissioner's Court

72,685 Views | 568 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by TJaggie14
AlaskanAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CC is taking JWEB out of order and is now hearing public comments as well as hearing from the departments involved.
https://agenda.harriscountytx.gov/

Video link is at the bottom.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
"General Noriega."
AlaskanAg99
AG
1st public commentator comes out blasting that many of the people that were part of the implementation of JWEB were fired and/or left. Basically, this program lives under Universal Services, which is the county umbrella IT department, and under the new leadership (Maj General Noriega) they were pushed into retirement/fired/re-assigned and the reason it fell apart was due to management incompetence.

2nd, police association rep coming in to blast that JWEB is failing because it cannot process intake quickly enough.

Only 2 public speakers, disappointing.

General Noriega will be speaking shortly.

AlaskanAg99
AG
Harry Lime said:

"General Noriega."
https://hcus.harriscountytx.gov/About-Us/Executive-Director

Major General (MG) Rick Noriega is the Executive Officer and Chief Information Officer for Harris County Universal Services.

Prior to his time with Harris County, Noriega served in the Texas House of Representatives for over five consecutive terms and introduced and authored HB 1403, the Texas Dream Act. This law had a tremendous impact on thousands of Texas college students and has served as a blueprint for federal legislation. He has gone beyond the halls of the Texas Legislature as well as the non-profit sector and into the battleground overseas and domestically.

1980, he served in the National Guard and Army Reserves. During his military service, he was stationed in Afghanistan to command the Kabul Military Training Center for Afghan forces during Operation Enduring Freedom. Noriega recently retired as a Major General from the Texas Army National Guard.

Noriega earned a bachelor's degree in Communications from the University of Houston and earned a master's degree in Public Administration from the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University. He received his certificate in Advanced International Affairs from the George Bush School of Government & Public Service, Texas A&M University. Noriega is also a graduate of the U.S. Command & General Staff College and the U.S. Army War College Senior Service Fellowship Program at the University of Texas at Austin.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I know who he is. He's a career politician who served in the Guard. His Guard title is entirely irrelevant to his responsibilities at Harris County. And I still wonder how & when that job was created and why a career politician like him got a job like that.

YellAg2004
AG
Universal Services definitely did have a director before Noriega. He was run off by the democrats to get their guy in.

The County Administrator position (Dave Berry) is the position that didn't previously exist. Before all the department heads reported directly to Commissioners Court. Now they report to the CA who reports to court. This allows Court to have plausible deniability with all the dirty work. They just pass the buck along and they just act like they had no idea that any bad thing would happen. See the previous budget actions with regards to Ogg's office.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Harry Lime said:

I know who he is. He's a career politician who served in the Guard. His Guard title is entirely irrelevant to his responsibilities at Harris County. And I still wonder how & when that job was created and why a career politician like him got a job like that.
Mostly for other's reading I posted so they'd understand who he is.

Universal Services is the IT department, I can assume it's always existed.

I believe he was hired after the prior Director was fired over the PeopleSoft implementation debacle. This was a big argument in court as well.

But in general, this democrat led court has replaced every single department head in the county in the last year or so. Engineer, Flood Control, HCTRA, US, Elections (as it was removed from the County Clerk, that was a new position created). Most of these are appointed positions, so it's entirely within their scope and ability to replace people as desired.

This is all public knowledge, but most people do not follow HC Court much.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Oh wow, County District Clerk is going after Noriega and US in general.

I'd heard there was massive turnover in US, but she laid that out as well.

Marylin Burgess
https://www.hcdistrictclerk.com/Common/Default.aspx

In 2018, Ms. Burgess ran for Harris County District Clerk on a platform focused on modernizing the jury system by launching online registration for prospective jurors, increasing the diversity of juries, and ensuring a living wage for the hardworking professionals that staff the District Clerk's Office.

As District Clerk, she is working hard to make the DCO more efficient, innovative and technology-driven. Ms. Burgess oversees a budget of $39 million and a staff of more than 500 people.

Buying_time
AG
Every bit of this incompetence roles up to Dora the Exploiter
YellAg2004
AG
While she is definitely responsible for casting the votes that enabled all of this, she is just doing what she's told and voting team D. Garcia and Ellis are the two masterminding all of the personnel moves.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Cliffs:

General Noriega (Head of HC IT) said it was a planned outage that got out of control and was just a 'glitch'.

County District Court Burgess put him on blast. Said the problems are much deeper than a 'glitch' and it has to do with a high turnover rate within the IT department. The people operating the system do not have the historical knowledge to effectively run the system. Which caused a fault, that lasted for days and required days of calls with Microsoft.

Ramsey is now on a rant, which is (my opinion) questioning Noriega's ability to functionally do his job and run the department. He states the problem started 3/24.
3rd failure since 2021.

Call me crazy, but Noriega looks like he's reading from a teleprompter. Why isn't he physically present at court.

This is when Bruce High, former director of Universal Services was let go in 2020, 3-2 vote.
https://www.govtech.com/people/harris-county-texas-names-interim-cio-to-succeed-bruce-high.html
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I had to mute for a phonecall for a while, but it took till now for me to figure out they're talking about a *******ization of JIMS. Sounds like "General Noriega," who had no business being in charge of a department that didn't need to be created, is getting hung out to dry.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Recommending a paper back up. I mean, talk about inefficient.

Also blaming Harvey, which was 2017. How do they not have everything repaired at this point?
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Hey so, outside of being a career politician, what was Rick Noriega's last day job before this one?

Oh yeah, "Special Projects Manager for HISD."
AlaskanAg99
AG
HC now talking about funding positions with ARPA funds.

COH did the exact same thing and their comptroller JUST said last week, when those funds run out, Houston will have to lay off 3k employees in a few years.

Playing a shell game, and this will impact the DA's office.

AlaskanAg99
AG
Now rehashing the conversation with funding from last court with the DA again.
AlaskanAg99
AG
After lunch the general speakers comments have begun. Pretty much putting Lina on blast.

The rest of the general agenda will start after the comment period. This court may go pretty late today.
Sea Speed
AG
Thanks for doing this for us alaska, I really appreciate it.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I stopped watching around 4pm today. I'll listen to the rest tomorrow. I live in UHC, so if I'm watching for my own self interest I might as well report on it.
Buying_time
AG
The info is greatly appreciated.
AlaskanAg99
AG
https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2022/04/05/harris-county-commissioner-calls-for-judge-lina-hidalgo-to-have-emergency-powers-revoked/

Vote failed 3-2 to revoke Emergency Powers. Part of the argument is it was enacted by Abbot, but since they won't meet for 2 years go change that status, the county could give it up voluntarily. Of course those in power choose to not give up power.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Following back up with the video.

https://harriscountytx.new.swagit.com/videos/158127

Around the 4hr mark, before they broke for lunch, Ogg is pretty animated and before they vote on item 238, Lina tells the DA she's full of theatrics and is misleading the people at the 4:20 mark. There's some pretty bad blood brewing between those two.

Also learned, from Ogg, that the new county administrator is the highest paid position in the county, at ~$330k. Which was implemented to bury county personal decisions and Ogg keeps bringing up the dealings to light over the last 2 courts.

Caller at 4:42 is IRATE, that's worth a listen. Her rant against Lina is epic.

4:44 speaker, Del Martinez, is talking about the I45 project, he's warning is that these projects take 20 years to get approved and if the county doesn't drop it's lawsuit against TXDOT, the county will lose $8B. TXDOT may just walk away and scrap the project. Those funds will go to other approved projects within the State. He calls out Ellis, who has left his seat for unknown reasons.

Now the regular agenda begins:
COVID: Vote fails to end the Judge's Emergency Powers Act around 4:50
https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2022/04/05/harris-county-commissioner-calls-for-judge-lina-hidalgo-to-have-emergency-powers-revoked/

Getting testy around 4:55 between Ellis & Garcia vs Cagle.

Another 2 hours of talking over agenda. Smaller county biz, Dems ran over Repubs 3-2 on nearly every contested vote (a few were 4-1). That's about it.

Follow-up on JWEB/Universal Services:
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Law-enforcement-officials-blame-17059920.php
Go incognito to avoid the paywall.
YellAg2004
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Also learned, from Ogg, that the new county administrator is the highest paid position in the county, at ~$330k. Which was implemented to bury county personal decisions and Ogg keeps bringing up the dealings to light over the last 2 courts.
This is EXACTLY how they intended it to work when they created the "Supreme Bureaucrat" as Cagle likes to call him. He is not accountable to anyone but Commissioners Court, so they just punt all their dirty business to him through veiled requests for review, analysis, etc. It's exactly the same way Congress punts all the rule making to the executive branch so some staffer at an alphabet agency gets to actually make the rules instead of Congress making the rules themselves. Then they go back to their states/districts and complain about how the system they enabled is terrible....and people buy it!

So in this instance, they pass a budget and charge the County Administrator with actually administering the budget. So he is technically the one that decides that Ogg doesn't get the budgetary support she requested. In the budget hearing Ramsey tried to pass his own budget that explicitly fully funded the DAs office as well as all the other LEO agencies that fall under the County budget. Not surprisingly, it was defeated 3-2. The dems then proceeded to approve a budget without those explicit directives and punted it to Berry while making long-winded comments about how they support the DA, LEOs, etc.

I truly hope enough people get educated about how much more their lives are impacted by their local politicians than what goes on in DC and they decide to get out and vote in November.
Jack Klompus
AG
Election Commission Special Meeting…
No agenda item to accept resignation of Longoria so the meeting was adjourned before it started.

Only item on the agenda was to hire an executive search firm to replace Longoria and discuss the job description.

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Gives me hope that Ogg really just might indict Dora.
AlaskanAg99
AG
YellAg2004 said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

This is EXACTLY how they intended it to work when they created the "Supreme Bureaucrat" as Cagle likes to call him. He is not accountable to anyone but Commissioners Court, so they just punt all their dirty business to him through veiled requests for review, analysis, etc. It's exactly the same way Congress punts all the rule making to the executive branch so some staffer at an alphabet agency gets to actually make the rules instead of Congress making the rules themselves. Then they go back to their states/districts and complain about how the system they enabled is terrible....and people buy it!

So in this instance, they pass a budget and charge the County Administrator with actually administering the budget. So he is technically the one that decides that Ogg doesn't get the budgetary support she requested. In the budget hearing Ramsey tried to pass his own budget that explicitly fully funded the DAs office as well as all the other LEO agencies that fall under the County budget. Not surprisingly, it was defeated 3-2. The dems then proceeded to approve a budget without those explicit directives and punted it to Berry while making long-winded comments about how they support the DA, LEOs, etc.

I truly hope enough people get educated about how much more their lives are impacted by their local politicians than what goes on in DC and they decide to get out and vote in November.

It's really worth listening to Ogg. I'm not going to rehash everything she and her team said as it was nearly 2 hours of discussion. She did bring up that she's trying to fight for funding for approved positions and yet Budget Office and Administrator Office are adding staff and giving themselves raises.
TX04Aggie
AG
Im loving this Ogg vs Lina drama. Both terrible people, but it would be something if Ogg was to take Lina down.. she might earn a tad bit of respect from me.
Zeke1995
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

Gives me hope that Ogg really just might indict Dora.

Dear 8 pound, 6 ounce Lord Baby Jesus….
Icecream_Ag
S
AlaskanAg99 said:

YellAg2004 said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

It's really worth listening to Ogg. I'm not going to rehash everything she and her team said as it was nearly 2 hours of discussion. She did bring up that she's trying to fight for funding for approved positions and yet Budget Office and Administrator Office are adding staff and giving themselves raises.
welcome to working for an isd Ogg.
YellAg2004
AG
Here's a good article detailing all the turnover that's been happening at Harris County for the last few years. Anyone that has worked for the County or has regular dealings with the County can attest to this being true.

https://reduceflooding.com/2022/04/14/editorial-brain-drain-in-harris-county-government-compromises-service-productivity/
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Thanks for the link. I've heard a lot of anecdotal stories from friends who work (or used to work) for various county departments, but haven't seen anything comprehensive. Even just on the anecdotal evidence, it's absolutely crazy how much Lina has been gutting career service people and replacing them with political cronies in budget and infrastructure jobs. Not least of which was her little toadie who got rewarded for the Elevate Strategies contract with a new job and raise in Flood Control - after she knew he was getting indicted.
YellAg2004
AG
While Lina definitely has a role in it, the majority of these actions are coming from 1 & 2. She's just the rubber stamp being told what to do when it comes time to vote.
AlaskanAg99
AG
https://abc13.com/harris-county-13-investigates-judge-lina-hidalgo-indictments/11765382/

"Harris County District Attorney's office tells Judge Lina Hidalgo to back off grand jury criticism."
taba82
AG
YellAg2004 said:

While Lina definitely has a role in it, the majority of these actions are coming from 1 & 2. She's just the rubber stamp being told what to do when it comes time to vote.
If that's the case, then why did the Texas Rangers find out during their investigation Lina had access to the bid files? I would not rule out her involvement until all of the facts come out in court.
Mike
Aggie Band '82
YellAg2004
AG
Don't conflate the rigged bid with the mass exodus of Harris County staff.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.