Houston
Sponsored by

Houston Oilers

33,260 Views | 309 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Chewy
deadhead aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

I was a Houston Oilers fan growing up.

I never got a chance to go to a game at the Dome.

So, for those who were there,

What was the biggest Houston Oiler's home game of all time?
Heck, the best time at the Dome was the day that your Bum Phillips video was recorded. The place was absolutely packed and electric......after a loss! I remember being there with the family for hours, waiting for the team to arrive. And I mean hours.......5, 6, 7? The busses were running late, but nobody was leaving until the team & coaches arrived. The Houston Oilers #1 Fight Song was being played on a perpetual loop and the Derek Dolls never stopped dancing.

The busses arrived, the team made their entrance, Bum lead the charge, and the rest is history.

The city of Houston was desperate for a championship. This was the closest we got at the time!
chimpanzee
Ciboag96 said:

Ohhhh, man. I often day dream about the Houston "I'm in Finance" Texans packing up their weak ass **** and moving to Omaha. They can change their name to the Berkshire Hathaway MidCap Funds. Their following wouldn't change.

Then, the true Luv Ya Blue moves back from that toothless state into the warm and humid embrace of the rough and tumble town it so desperately needs. Toss that Titan moniker for the name that real men would re-adopt. The Derrick would fly again, baby. Grit would be back, and grit would follow them. The "I'm in Private Equity" bunch would curl their nose up to my beloved Oilers, like they opened up a corked '97 Chatue Lafite Rothschild. **** 'em. They can pick up polo. My great aunt would whip out her industrial size fan of hair spray, puff out her blondish buffant and bring the Derrick Dolls back, baby. Cigarettes and Bud Heavy for everyone.

That reminds me, I haven't pissed on Bum Adams grave in at least 3 weeks. I need to head over there.

We're not Dallas on the swamp, we're Cleveland on the swamp!
Serotonin
AG
I guess the Titans wore Oilers throwback jerseys a couple of times in 2009 but dropped it since then.

But they plan on bringing them back in 2022-23, probably because some marketing firm told them it would sell.

Nashville's franchise and fans getting to wear the Luv Ya Blue Oiler jerseys while Houston's franchise and fans can't tells me all I need to know about the NFL.
chimpanzee
Serotonin said:

Nashville's franchise and fans getting to wear the Luv Ya Blue Oiler jerseys while Houston's franchise and fans can't tells me all I need to know about the NFL.

To reluctantly give them one tiny bit of credit, they made Art Modell leave everything associated with the Browns behind in order to leave Cleveland. Why they didn't do the same for the Oilers is anyone's guess, but mine would be with the relative standing in public opinion. No one outside of Houston gave a damn about the Oilers, but the Browns were lovable losers and everyone feels sorry for Cleveland.
Chewy
AG
I'm a diehard Aggie but one of the biggest shames in sports is that Earl Campbells's NFL legacy technically belongs to the Titans.

If Tommy Boy had half a brain (which he doesn't) he'd figure out how to get the Oilers NFL legacy back to the city of Houston.

I agree it's proof positive how moronic the NFL is in many regards.
MAROON
AG
was a season ticket holder for about four years after college. Lots of fun games and some terrible (Chiefs 1993).

Sunday night December 30, 1990, Cody Carlson led the Oilers to a big win over the Steelers in the last game of the season to make the playoffs. We were dancing on the tables at Sam's Place on Richmond later that night after leaving the Dome.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
chimpanzee
Chewy said:

Right, they don't seem to realize that people are cheering for symbols and laundry associated with their city. If you move it to another city, it doesn't work as well, except for the Raiders because they pull their fans more from a degenerate subculture than from any particular geography.
Serotonin
AG
chimpanzee said:

Chewy said:

Right, they don't seem to realize that people are cheering for symbols and laundry associated with their city. If you move it to another city, it doesn't work as well, except for the Raiders because they pull their fans more from a degenerate subculture than from any particular geography.
Yep. Sports are just a replacement for community or tribal warfare. The oil derrick represents this oil and gas town perfectly, and the classic blue jerseys are tied up with the memories of our fans.

So it doesn't work for the new city and it alienates the old city.
Jaydoug
AG
We need a team back with some punch

BMX Bandit
Chewy said:

I'm a diehard Aggie but one of the biggest shames in sports is that Earl Campbells's NFL legacy technically belongs to the Titans.

If Tommy Boy had half a brain (which he doesn't) he'd figure out how to get the Oilers NFL legacy back to the city of Houston.

how do you propose he get it back from an owner with no desire to get rid of it?

you could have offered Bud Adams a billion dollars and he wouldn't have given it back. wouldn't surprise me if he has some strange clause in his will that if any of his heirs gives anything oilers related to the city of houston they lose all their inheritance and are cut off from family functions.
BMX Bandit
chimpanzee said:

Serotonin said:

To reluctantly give them one tiny bit of credit, they made Art Modell leave everything associated with the Browns behind in order to leave Cleveland. Why they didn't do the same for the Oilers is anyone's guess, but mine would be with the relative standing in public opinion. No one outside of Houston gave a damn about the Oilers, but the Browns were lovable losers and everyone feels sorry for Cleveland.
the NFL didn't make Modell leave it behind, it was part of a settlement between Browns and city of Cleveland.

the browns wanted to leave several years before their stadium lease was over, hence the lawsuit. the oilers had planned to stay until the lease ended. it was only when no one showed up the second last year that they negotiated a deal to let oilers leave a year early. county didn't have the leverage that city of cleveland had.
jc1402
AG
chimpanzee said:

Chewy said:

This describes the general NFL audience now. I know the post making fun of the finance bros was funny, but if you've been to a Texans game or notice any crowd shot of any NFL game..... not exactly the college educated finance bro crowd
Chewy
AG
Maybe Adams does but maybe he doesn't. Maybe bygones with the heirs are bygones and he can negotiate a settlement.

I can't imagine they're selling much stuff with the Oilers logo in Tennessee.

The NFL loves doing one off things to sell merchandise. I know the Texans suck right now but if they were a .500 team and put on the Oilers uniforms for a game in Houston there would be a good amount of merchandise sold and people show up just for that game.

I don't think it will happen because I'm sure the McNairs don't want to be tied to the Adams and vice versa. However, short of that clause in Bud's will it doesn't mean people without egos couldn't make it happen because long time Houstonians over the age of 40 would love to see it.

I think it would actually make some of those people more endeared to the Texans knowing there is some level of continuity. I think there's a good portion of Oilers fans that haven't fully bought into the Texans because it's a different franchise.
BMX Bandit
I don't think its about money for the Adams. Its spite.
chimpanzee
jc1402 said:

chimpanzee said:

Chewy said:

This describes the general NFL audience now. I know the post making fun of the finance bros was funny, but if you've been to a Texans game or notice any crowd shot of any NFL game..... not exactly the college educated finance bro crowd

True, while I think the Raiders were the archetype, most NFL fans have gravitated to oversized jerseys that cover their guts while still highlighting their neck tattoos. They mostly want to be in a crowd that yells at an obvious small minority in a socially acceptable setting, and an opposing team's fans will fit the bill just fine.
cajunaggie08
AG
I don't think it has anything to do with the Adams family anymore. I believe the McNair's wanted the Texans to be their team and have zero desire to blend the histories. Originally when the Texans team identity was established there was probably no way that Bud Adams would part way with his team's identity and history so Bob McNair had no choice but to start from scratch. Now that Bud is gone it probably would be feasible to do some sort of identity/history transfer, but the McNairs have never brought it up and more than likely view the Texans as their legacy. Now that the team image has hit an all-time low maybe they will change their mind.
BMX Bandit
When this came up a couple of years ago, Amy Adams Strunk said "hard no" on the idea of Texans having anything to do with Oilers. You may be right about McNair not wanting it, but its pretty clear the Adams have no desire to share it or sell it.
PeekingDuck
AG
Texans is just such a stupid name. I still can't get over that.
WES2006AG
AG
PeekingDuck said:

Should have known the moment they announced that dumb name the franchise would turn into the clown show it is today.
Jock 07
AG
PeekingDuck said:

Yup, my vote was for Apollos to keep with the Space theme. Ultimately I would love the Oilers name back.
Jaydoug
AG
WES2006AG said:

PeekingDuck said:

Should have known the moment they announced that dumb name the franchise would turn into the clown show it is today.

2nd most profitable team in the NFL at one point. It's not about the fans. It's about the investors.
redag06
Jaydoug said:

WES2006AG said:

PeekingDuck said:

2nd most profitable team in the NFL at one point. It's not about the fans or winning*. It's about the investors.
FIFY
Scientific
AG
BMX Bandit said:

When this came up a couple of years ago, Amy Adams Strunk said "hard no" on the idea of Texans having anything to do with Oilers. You may be right about McNair not wanting it, but its pretty clear the Adams have no desire to share it or sell it.
Eddie George and Steve McNair are probably the only two major Titans icons who have some slight connection to both places. But they're forever Titans. Other than that, you see Moon and Campbell jerseys everywhere here. She's still an Adams, and I wouldn't have expected anything else from her on the issue.
agz win
AG
Warren Moon with his honey at Zydeco's block parties. Good times.
Ciboag96
Exhibits A

Exhibit B

I rest my case

Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Ciboag96 said:

Ohhhh, man. I often day dream about the Houston "I'm in Finance" Texans packing up their weak ass **** and moving to Omaha. They can change their name to the Berkshire Hathaway MidCap Funds. Their following wouldn't change.

Then, the true Luv Ya Blue moves back from that toothless state into the warm and humid embrace of the rough and tumble town it so desperately needs. Toss that Titan moniker for the name that real men would re-adopt. The Derrick would fly again, baby. Grit would be back, and grit would follow them. The "I'm in Private Equity" bunch would curl their nose up to my beloved Oilers, like they opened up a corked '97 Chatue Lafite Rothschild. **** 'em. They can pick up polo. My great aunt would whip out her industrial size fan of hair spray, puff out her blondish buffant and bring the Derrick Dolls back, baby. Cigarettes and Bud Heavy for everyone.
Hell yea! And take back Blanco's from St. John's and bring back Luther's bbq instead of those neckbeard "stand in line till we run out of $20 ribs" clip joints.
Jackal99
AG
Harry Lime said:

Ciboag96 said:

Hell yea! And take back Blanco's from St. John's and bring back Luther's bbq instead of those neckbeard "stand in line till we run out of $20 ribs" clip joints.

And the *****s and seedy motels on South Main, damnit!
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Streetwalking *****s are still around, but I'm pissed I never got to go to the Crystal Pistol!!!
Stat Monitor Repairman
I miss being able to drive into the parking lot of the dome and walk directly in the stadium.

You get there a couple hours early, you could park first row directly in front of the Astrodome and walk right in.

It was a different experience.

You'd walk into the dome and it was like walking around in a dark bowling alley. It was really dark in the concourse of the dome.

It had a futuristic glow. Like you were inside a spaceship.
scd88
AG

I miss being able to drive into the parking lot of the dome and walk directly in the stadium.

You get there a couple hours early, you could park first row directly in front of the Astrodome and walk right in.

You'd walk into the dome and it was like walking around in a dark bowling alley. It was really dark in the concourse of the dome.

To this day, I'm fascinated by the Dome. That was the stadium I went to growing up and I'll never forget those memories.
AndesAg92
AG
MAROON said:

was a season ticket holder for about four years after college. Lots of fun games and some terrible (Chiefs 1993).

Sunday night December 30, 1990, Cody Carlson led the Oilers to a big win over the Steelers in the last game of the season to make the playoffs. We were dancing on the tables at Sam's Place on Richmond later that night after leaving the Dome.

When the Richmond drag was the Richmond drag! Before it got super sketchy and hood.
Jock 07
AG

Great description, just took me back there in my mind walking the concourses. Even for a Stros day game it was pretty dark in there. On another note, I think the dome was the last pro stadium I've been to with horse troughs for pissers.
Furlock Bones
AG
i've said it often. The Texans organization are the most banal paint by numbers stupid mba capstone project franchise to ever exist.

Literally everything from the name, to the mascot, to the Battle Red, Deep Steel Blue and Liberty White colors is so unimaginative as to only be created by a bunch of mbas running and tweaking models a thousand times.
Furlock Bones
AG
yep. parents would let us kids cruise all over the concourses there and it never felt crowded. (probably because it wasn't).
MAROON
AG

really good description of the Dome.

One thing the Texans have done that is light years ahead of the Oilers was to encourage tail gating. Traffic to get to Texans games is a breeze (even in the years when they sold out). Oilers traffic was the worst of possibly any stadium in the country because most tried to arrive just before kickoff and everyone left as soon as the game was over because no one was tailgating.

We would arrive way early with both the Post ad the Chronicle and sit in our seats for two hours and read the Sunday papers. and rink a nice dome foam for pre-game,
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.