Houston
Sponsored by

Houston Oilers

33,262 Views | 309 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Chewy
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
God those uniforms are pure fire.
Sea Speed
AG
So I lived in Norway for a bit. I could see the north sea from my backyard in a little town about an hour outside of bergen. It was amazing. I befriended my neighbors and the lady that lived there had an autographed Warren moon oilers helmet. I thought it was the coolest thing. This would have been in about 2004.
maroon barchetta
WTH is Jim Eddy telling the defense? How to give up a point per minute in Buffalo?

Somebody post a pic of Bucky in an Oilers uniform.

Double bonus points if you have a Rod Harris Oilers pic.
Coog97
maroon barchetta said:

WTH is Jim Eddy telling the defense? How to give up a point per minute in Buffalo?

Double bonus points if you have a Rod Harris Oilers pic.
Thought it was pretty cool we got an Archie Manning as an Oiler pic already.
lb sand
AG

I stood in line behind him to register for summer school classes at Blinn in CS. Would have been '88 or 89. I had no idea who he was until he got to the head of the line and gave his name. John, but everybody calls me Bucky.
/Dear Diary
Big Cat `93
AG
Poor Archie.

How about ol' Carl?

Big Cat `93
AG
coastalAg
AG
This thread makes me so sad. *****Bud Adams and the Tennessee Titans forever.
HtownAg92
AG
These are some great pictures.

I love pictures of 1970's NFL. 75% of the guys look like beer league softball players or the guys that would hang out with your cool unmarried uncle around the garage at your Grandmother's house. You know, the ones whose arrival meant that it was "time for you to go inside."
TarponChaser
Growing up in Bryan in the 80's I could legitimately be a Cowboys fan and an Oilers fan since we were roughly halfway. The Oilers were just so damn fun in the 80's and 90's between the "Run & Shoot" and Glanville's defenses and the players and everything else they were just so polar opposites of both the Cowboys and the Texans now.

I was so pissed over the Oilers leaving and have tried to love the Texans but they're just so damned boring. It's just so clear the McNairs don't actually care about winning or truly being embraced by the city they just care about the bottom line.
HtownAg92
AG
TarponChaser said:

Growing up in Bryan in the 80's I could legitimately be a Cowboys fan and an Oilers fan since we were roughly halfway. The Oilers were just so damn fun in the 80's and 90's between the "Run & Shoot" and Glanville's defenses and the players and everything else they were just so polar opposites of both the Cowboys and the Texans now.

I was so pissed over the Oilers leaving and have tried to love the Texans but they're just so damned boring. It's just so clear the McNairs don't actually care about winning or truly being embraced by the city they just care about the bottom line.

Pastorini, Stabler, Kenny White Shoes, Earl, Moon, Bum and Glanville

to

David Carr, Dom Capers, Matt Schaub, first pick as a franchise on a injury-prone lineman, activating a third TE

Personality Plus to Boring AF.

Then, when the team finally starts to show a little identity and personality with the likes of JJ, Hop, Watson, the McNairs blow it up again.
cajunaggie08
AG
HtownAg92 said:

TarponChaser said:

to

David Carr, Dom Capers, Matt Schaub, first pick as a franchise on a injury-prone lineman, activating a third TE

Then, when the team finally starts to show a little identity and personality with the likes of JJ, Hop, Watson, the McNairs blow it up again.
I can't find the quote but when McNair first was awarded the team I believe he said something about wanting the club to be the opposite of the Cowboys who still had the reputation as a bunch of drug users and criminals so he wants his players to do things the "Texans way." Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see the Texans players getting thrown in jail. However when its your primary mission to field nothing but "good guys", you get 20 years of mediocre football.
maroon barchetta
cajunaggie08 said:

HtownAg92 said:

TarponChaser said:

to

I can't find the quote but when McNair first was awarded the team I believe he said something about wanting the club to be the opposite of the Cowboys who still had the reputation as a bunch of drug users and criminals so he wants his players to do things the "Texans way." Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see the Texans players getting thrown in jail. However when its your primary mission to field nothing but "good guys", you get 20 years of mediocre football.

Watson has tried to change the image.
HtownAg92
TarponChaser
Buddy of mine who plays guitar and myself came up with a little song when drunk about the Oilers leaving and the new Texans franchise. We were so excited at the time but damn if this doesn't remind of opportunities lost. Part of it is those fckstick Adams people for refusing to sell the Oilers name/branding and part of it is the way the milquetoast McNairs don't care about winning.

Trying to remember all the words...

Dallas Cowboys on in the front room,
Oilers on in the back.
Weren't many glory days then,
Like when Buffalo came back.

Well I remember all the old school Oilers
Just like they were family.
Dishman, the Tyler Rose, and
White Shoes Billy.

Where did you go Steve McNair?
Why did you leave us Eddie George?
All I know is you're gone to Tennessee
Been gone for so, so long now, Tennessee
Don't know if I want you back, Tennessee

I know I've messed it up and can't remember much else but there was something about expansion rumors being a dream and how we don't want them back from "fcking Tennessee."
BoxingAg84
maroon barchetta said:

maroon barchetta
Ghost91
Texicurean said:

I stood in line behind him to register for summer school classes at Blinn in CS. Would have been '88 or 89. I had no idea who he was until he got to the head of the line and gave his name. John, but everybody calls me Bucky.
/Dear Diary

The original Flying Stephen McGee.
Big Cat `93
AG
I've been off the Texans since day one due to that sham of a mascot "contest." McNair wanted to call them the Texans the whole time and had no intention otherwise.

I got to interview Bucky and Jack Pardee (very briefly in his case) at training camp in 1992. It was the day Moon showed up unannounced during his holdout. I nearly got trampled by the beat writers swarming his car.
BoxingAg84
Stabler

Giff

Moon

Craig & Terry

Cody

BJT

Chandler
HtownAg92
AG
Like said before, I'm a lifelong Cowboys fan and think the silver and blue uniforms rule. So I didn't pay attention to or appreciate the Oilers unis growing up.

But looking at these pics, those Oilers digs are the absolute teeeets.
agproducer
AG
I completely forgot about Chris Chandler.
HtownAg92
AG
agproducer said:

Crystal Chandelier was there for a couple of years and played the equivalent of three games.
maroon barchetta
agproducer said:

With his injury problems, one coach referred to him as Crystal Chandelier.
WES2006AG
AG
Anybody else remember going to the Cody Carlson football camps back in the 90s?
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I had a hard time moving on from Billy Joe Turnover and never really accepted Chandler as my QB.
agproducer
AG
maroon barchetta said:

agproducer said:

With his injury problems, one coach referred to him as Crystal Chandelier.

I remember it now. He was hurt so often, I forgot he was on the team.
HtownAg92
AG
BJT was a great story. Journeyman who always seemed to find work for a long time. He was the original McCown.

His wife grew up in a town in my area of West Texas, and was an absolute legend. Every high school boy in the area marked their calendar for away games with her town, or hoped to catch a glimpse of her at the Mall of Abilene or teen night at Cheers. Goddess.

Then she went to Tech, dated the starting QB and the rest is history.
spadilly
S
One of my favorite pictures:

lb sand
AG
Seeing this pictures of "The snake" reminded me of this:

I always thought it was beer, didn't realize until I found this picture it was cola.
Jaydoug
AG
I had a Bucky Richardson Oilers Jersey while at A&M. Used to wear it a lot. No idea what happened it. Probably ****-canned it after anti-Christ Adams took the team away.

These photos bring up a deep pain in my heart. Just absolutely gut wrenching.
Ghost91
Quote:

I have no recollection of Woody Harrelson ever being our QB.
maroon barchetta
Ghost91 said:

Quote:

I have no recollection of Woody Harrelson ever being our QB.

"Hey, Moon was hurt and we put in Carlson and he beat the Steelers! Let's save money but dumping Moon and making Carlson the starter!

I heard John McClain tell the hosts of 740 KTRH Sportsbeat that Carlson is widely considered the best backup in football and would start for a lot of other teams!"
[/Bud Adams]
TarponChaser
Who was the backup for the Lions in that timeframe who started several games for them one year when their starter got hurt, played pretty well, and then parlayed those starts into a massive payday to be a starter- I think with the Dolphins?
HtownAg92
AG
TarponChaser said:

Who was the backup for the Lions in that timeframe who started several games for them one year when their starter got hurt, played pretty well, and then parlayed those starts into a massive payday to be a starter- I think with the Dolphins?
Scott Mitchell

Reminds me of a backup QB for Atlanta that parlayed a short stint of success into a huge contract for another team that equaled like $10M per pick six.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.