Houston
Sponsored by

Houston Oilers

33,263 Views | 309 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Chewy
AgCPA95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Saban was on the Oilers staff?

I did not know that.
Last two years of the Glanville days...1988-1989. Defensive backs coach.

txislandag86
maroon barchetta said:

Saban was on the Oilers staff?

I did not know that.
The DB's called him Nick Satan
BoxingAg84

Ghost91
^^^Wow, those Steelers' pix. I have a very good buddy who lives in PA and is a diehard Steelers fan. We didn't meet until years after the Oilers were gone, but immediately began to give each other sh*t about the rivalry. I have a tradition of ending each text I send him - no matter what we've been talking about - with 'MRWIB' ('Mike Renfro Was In Bounds'). He automatically replies with 'MRWNIB', the added 'N' being for 'Not'.

It's neat to have kind of a warm nostalgia about those days with a Steelers fan now, but man seriously at the time those guys were Public Enemy #1. We HATED them. Pure good versus evil.

It's also been interesting to see my buddy gain an understanding of what it means to a fellow diehard fan, even if they're a fan of the other team - to see how heartbreaking it is to lose your team. He admits he's always just taken it for granted that his beloved Steelers would be part of his life and present forever. By getting to know me, he acknowledges how much it would literally feel like losing a family member if they ever picked up and left town.

Anyway. Random nostalgic thoughts.
agproducer
AG
It's been 25 years, and I'm still mad.
scd88
AG
Donald Orr was the name of the official who made that call on Renfro. I have carried that bitterness with me since it happened and I'll never let go of it.
Ghost91
scd88 said:

Donald Orr was the name of the official who made that call on Renfro. I have carried that bitterness with me since it happened and I'll never let go of it.

A week or two after that game, I remember seeing a classmate at school wearing a powder blue T-shirt that had a cartoon pic of a referee wearing black sunglasses, holding a cane in one hand and a seeing eye dog on leash in the other, with a caption that said "I call 'em like I see 'em".

Yeah, that blown call was so big that shirts were made.
Sea Speed
AG
The oilers color combo and logo are the best in all of sports followed by the aeros bomber logo and their green color. I am certain there is some bias there but I will never not believe those 2 things to be true.
DartAg1970
AG
Whatever it would cost to buy back the rights from Tennessee to get the Oilers name and colors back would be worth it.
Ghost91
DartAg1970 said:

Whatever it would cost to buy back the rights from Tennessee to get the Oilers name and colors back would be worth it.

I've said this for years. Some billionaire or politician is missing out on a huge opportunity here. We're such a quiet fanbase in general, but every time I bring up the subject of the Oilers with anyone who grew up here, their eyes light up and they start talking about them with the same passion you see on this thread.
I don't think that the "powers that be" realize how deep the sentiment for that logo and colors runs.
If they somehow came back, it would be insanity here.
Bibendum 86
AG
Ghost91 said:

DartAg1970 said:

I've said this for years. Some billionaire or politician is missing out on a huge opportunity here. We're such a quiet fanbase in general, but every time I bring up the subject of the Oilers with anyone who grew up here, their eyes light up and they start talking about them with the same passion you see on this thread.
I don't think that the "powers that be" realize how deep the sentiment for that logo and colors runs.
If they somehow came back, it would be insanity here.
I don't think it's possible as long as one of the Adams' own the Titans. And If they did sell, they'd keep the Oilers trademark out of spite.
Big Cat `93
AG
Without a doubt.
YouBet
AG
DartAg1970 said:

I would donate money for this. This thread makes me sad and angry all over again.

I've never loved a sports team more in life than the Houston Oilers aside from A&M. Could name entire team back then off the cuff. Miss it hard.
Ciboag96
Time to go piss on Bud Adams grave again.
Ciboag96

This is lady who holds all the cards now.
maroon barchetta
Ciboag96 said:

Family resemblance?
BoxingAg84

BBRex
AG
The Texans are trying to win your love back. They fired Coach What's-His-Name after one season.
maroon barchetta
BBRex said:

The Texans are trying to win your love back. They fired Coach What's-His-Name after one season.

Did they fire the GM and the owner?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Where I was at, kids would put an Oilers logo on their football helmet with electrical tape, or some other kind of tape.

Kids would argue in the street of over which group got to be the Oilers and who had to be the Steelers or the Cowboys.

And there was always that one kid in every group that was a cowboy's fan and would wear cowboy's gear at every opportunity.

One thing I do remember was that almost everybody watched both the Oilers and the Cowboys.The Oilers typically played at noon and the Cowboys later on in the evening. Both games were watched.

When the Oilers left most people started following either the Cowboys or the Saints. But mainly the Cowboys.

Some people followed Tennessee but that trailed off after a few years.

When the Houston Texans came about, a lot of people had been watching the Cowboys for so long, they never fully invested in the Texans with the same passion as the Houston Oilers.

After 20-years, the Houston Texans have been the most boring sports franchise of all time.

Not spending the money on the rights to the Oilers was a ****bird move.
YouBet
AG
Ciboag96 said:

Thought this was fat Dan Akroyd in drag at first.
Bibendum 86
AG
Ciboag96 said:

And she's arguably a better owner than her oleaginous short creepy father..
cajunaggie08
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

When the Houston Texans came about, a lot of people had been watching the Cowboys for so long, they never fully invested in the Texans with the same passion as the Houston Oilers.
Watching the Cowboys between when the Oilers left and the Texans started was painful enough to kill anyone's passion for pro-football
BMX Bandit
Quote:

I don't think it's possible as long as one of the Adams' own the Titans. And If they did sell, they'd keep the Oilers trademark out of spite.
this.
Anonymous Source
S
maroon barchetta said:

Ciboag96 said:

Family resemblance?
They about have the same hair

Gig 'Em
BoxingAg84
Anonymous Source said:

maroon barchetta said:

Ciboag96 said:

Family resemblance?
They about have the same hair

spadilly
S

Ciboag96
Delete post and tar, feather and ban user
Ciboag96
Him too.
Big Bucks
AG
Suck it Adams family! May you continue to get your heart broken and never win a playoff game until you let Houston have the Oilers history back.
88Warrior
Big Bucks said:

Suck it Adams family! May you continue to get your heart broken and never win a playoff game until you let Houston have the Oilers history back.

I'm curious if the McNairs have ever approached the Adams about getting it back??
Chewy
AG
I bet they haven't. The McNairs aren't from Houston and I bet they have no desire to be tied to a team they have no memories of.

They want the Texans to be theirs and solely theirs.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Ciboag96 said:

drmwvr said:

Relevant

This burns, like the flames of a thousand suns. Reminders of this 25-year-old crime against the heart and grit of a once rough but decent city keeps coming back like a bad penny. I cast a spell against you, Ryan Tannehill, a wicked spell from the depths of my blackened native-Houstonian heart. May your playoffs invoke the sprit of Oilers playoff teams of old, and may your 32 point lead against whomever wither like Bud Adams corpse.
Well … this issue seems to solved itself.

Would have like to see fat Randy kick another game winner though.
88Warrior
Chewy said:

I bet they haven't. The McNairs aren't from Houston and I bet they have no desire to be tied to a team they have no memories of.

They want the Texans to be theirs and solely theirs.

That was my guess as well..
BoxingAg84

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.