Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,501,911 Views | 13700 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by TulaneAg
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Sorry to hijack -- So what's the most expensive watch anyone has worn diving, swimming, in shower, etc? I have no desire to do so, and would prolly get a cheapy to spend anytime under water. Just curious...

I enjoy a good looking watch, but have no desire or the funds to spend thousands of dollars on a watch.

I have a Victorinox Maverick that works and looks just fine for my everyday weekend needs as well pool, beach, fishing, etc.

At work or out to dinner it's a Tissot

As I mentioned earlier, I like the look of a good watch and just because I don't spend a shlt ton of money of them doesn't mean I don't like to see a quality timepiece so keep em coming fellas.
Kurt Gowdy
AG
I'm never without a watch.

I wade fish regularly with my sub or BLNR. I was in the surf a few weeks ago taking waves over my back with my gmt.

These watches aren't cheap but they're bulletproof. I don't baby them at all.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
I'm on a big rubber watch kick myself right now. I've mostly only worn the stainless steel bracelets with my watches; but am really enjoying the comfort and the awesome color of the rubber strap. I've been toying with the idea of making my next watch the Omega planet ocean pumpkin, but think the orange Omega OEM rubber may be much harder to pull off than the awesome blue Zenith which pretty much goes with everything I wear.
Farmer1906
AG
This is hands down the most comfortable strap I have ever worn. I got it a few months back for my Speedy Patches.

https://www.omegawatches.com/accessories/nato-straps/

I am not sure I could bring myself to wearing a rubber one. Just feels wrong.
RVAg02
AG
quote:

I wade fish regularly with my sub or BLNR. I was in the surf a few weeks ago taking waves over my back with my gmt.

So those are the two I'm considering. We'll those two and the SD4000. I have a TT Vintage DJ that sits in my closet in favor of my SS Tag, because I'm just not a TT DJ fan (plus it has diamonds on the face).

I have fairly small wrists, don't dive, but will go in the water. Travel some, but not constantly. This would be the watch that gets most (if not nearly all) of my wrist time. So what do you think?

Sub (Black or Green)
BLNR (or all black face) GMT
SD4000

?
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
BLNR, no question
Diggity
AG
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:

So those are the two I'm considering. We'll those two and the SD4000. I have a TT Vintage DJ that sits in my closet in favor of my SS Tag, because I'm just not a TT DJ fan (plus it has diamonds on the face).

I have fairly small wrists, don't dive, but will go in the water. Travel some, but not constantly. This would be the watch that gets most (if not nearly all) of my wrist time. So what do you think?

Sub (Black or Green)
SD4000

?
The GMT doesn't do it for me.

The black sub is the most tradition and historic, but also the most common.

To me the SD is just too big and bulky

I have the hulk (green sub) so obviously that was the choice for me and would make it again.
RVAg02
AG
quote:
BLNR, no question

Explain
RVAg02
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sub (Black or Green)
SD4000

?
The GMT doesn't do it for me.

The black sub is the most tradition and historic, but also the most common.

To me the SD is just too big and bulky

I have the hulk (green sub) so obviously that was the choice for me and would make it again.

Do you wear the hulk with everything?

Also just to be clear, I was taking about the new Sea Dweller that is 40mm. Not the Deep Sea.
Farmer1906
AG
I must be getting them confused. I can say I have not paid much attention to Rolex in some time.

I will wear it when I feel it is appropriate to wear a drive watch. I am not wearing it to the gym or in a suit. I don't not wear it due to its unique color if that is what you are asking.

The Hulk & my Speedy get the majority of my wrist time.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
quote:
BLNR, no question

Explain
I think it's an absolutely beautiful watch, and the blue/black bezel sets it apart from the other masses of black/black ceramic Rolex divers. The GMT is a great watch as well, but looks a bit too traditional for my taste. On the other hand the hulk is awesome, but it's a bit too avant garde for me.
RVAg02
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
BLNR, no question

Explain
I think it's an absolutely beautiful watch, and the blue/black bezel sets it apart from the other masses of black/black ceramic Rolex divers. The GMT is a great watch as well, but looks a bit too traditional for my taste. On the other hand the hulk is awesome, but it's a bit too avant garde for me.
yeah, part of me really wants something a little different. One of my associates wears a black sub that his dad bought him on graduation. I don't begrudge that at all, just kinda don't want to go out and buy the same watch that my youngest associate wears. On the other hand, it's hard not to covet the traditional black Sub.

That's where the BLNR, Hulk, and SD4000 come in, I guess. And I would want to wear it with everything, including my suits (most of the time). Y'all may scoff, but I don't mind it. One day when I get the Patek, the divers will be moved to casual days. ha.

Farmer1906
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
BLNR, no question

Explain
yeah, part of me really wants something a little different. One of my associates wears a black sub that his dad bought him on graduation. I don't begrudge that at all, just kinda don't want to go out and buy the same watch that my youngest associate wears. On the other hand, it's hard not to covet the traditional black Sub.

That's where the BLNR, Hulk, and SD4000 come in, I guess. And I would want to wear it with everything, including my suits (most of the time). Y'all may scoff, but I don't mind it. One day when I get the Patek, the divers will be moved to casual days. ha.
It is a personal choice. James Bond made it cool to wear dive watches with suits.

Are you dead set on Rolex and/or a dive watch?
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
I'm on a big rubber watch kick myself right now. I've mostly only worn the stainless steel bracelets with my watches; but am really enjoying the comfort and the awesome color of the rubber strap. I've been toying with the idea of making my next watch the Omega planet ocean pumpkin, but think the orange Omega OEM rubber may be much harder to pull off than the awesome blue Zenith which pretty much goes with everything I wear.
Planet Ocean has two styles of rubber strap.

This is the one I have.

I thought the orange stitching on the other one would clash with everything I ever wear.

The blue one looks nice, but I don't wear a lot of blue and wanted the more neutral black for my watch.

Kurt Gowdy
AG
Of the three you listed, the BLNR is the most versatile.

It is as waterproof as you are and the subtle blue is a nice touch. Plus, you get an extra complication with the GMT hand. The one thing I miss when I wear the GMT is the timing bezel as I am always keeping track of things.

I do not like the polished center links (I had mine brushed) nor am I crazy about the easylink clasp.

The submariner clasp is unbelievable and it's a shame it's not an option for other watches.

Between the sub and the SD4k - I choose the SD4k though the sub is great. The SD is taller on the wrist but wears smaller than the sub because of the more tapered lugs. The matte dial is also nice as is the bezel.
RVAg02
AG
Not dead set on Rolex, just happen to think the ones I mentioned are good looking and quality timepieces. I currently wear a Tag instead of my Rolex and and have always eyed the Sea and Speedmasters.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
someone talk me out of this hublot

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f30/fsot-hublot-big-bang-301-sm-1770-rx-evolution-stainless-steel-ceramic-bezel-44mm-3351938.html
Ag_07
AG
It's ugly and it's $8K
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Not dead set on Rolex, just happen to think the ones I mentioned are good looking and quality timepieces. I currently wear a Tag instead of my Rolex and and have always eyed the Sea and Speedmasters.
Just to mix things up a little. I think this checks a few of your boxes. Its green, but not too much. Sporty watch, but IMO goes better if you wanted to wear it with a suit. It differentiates you from your associate with the black sub. Its a LE which makes it tougher to find (not sure how much so), but also adds to it for some people.

http://www.grand-seiko.com/collection/detail.php?pid=SBGJ005

Farmer1906
AG
quote:
someone talk me out of this hublot

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f30/fsot-hublot-big-bang-301-sm-1770-rx-evolution-stainless-steel-ceramic-bezel-44mm-3351938.html
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
Also, I think the Grand Seiko sbgx115 is one of the most beautiful dress divers out there; and is an absolute steal at 2500 or so (it's the one on the left)

Diggity
AG
Isn't Hublot the company that Jay Z has a stake in? They've always looked like Audemars Piguet rip-off's to me.
BizAg13
For discussion purposes....any thoughts on the Tudor Pelagos? I'm a huge fan of the blue one.
Farmer1906
AG
I have a very love hate relationship with AP.

They can make damn near the perfect watch.

But also make these abominations.

And you have rappers and athletes doing this to it.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
For discussion purposes....any thoughts on the Tudor Pelagos? I'm a huge fan of the blue one.
I love what Tudor has been doing. It is no longer the poor man's Rolex. They are their own brand with their own in house. I really like the North Flag they came out with a year or two ago.

And pics just because.

Kurt Gowdy
AG
I love the Pelagos and will probably buy either that or the Planet Ocean 8500 in the next several weeks.

I plan on wearing either watch exclusively on a Zulu strap.

Make sure you look at the blue Pelagos prior to the purchase. It's not an understated blue - it is bluuuuue.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
I have my eye on these two. For the Seiko, I'd like to put a rubber band on it instead of the leather.

BizAg13
I went to an AD a few weeks ago to try it out. Loved it even more in person and really enjoyed it on the rubber strap.
jh0400
AG
It's not as nice as some of the watches posted here, but I've been considering picking up a Tissot PRC 200 for casual wear.

BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
I almost bought the blue Pelagos before I bought the Zenith blue Stratos. Both are super blue and really pop on the wrist; and go great with most professional wear. I don't know what your wrist size is, but the only issue I had with the Pelagos was the size. I have a 7.5"+ plus wrist and felt like the Pelagos wore much smaller than its advertised 42mm size; and it was a bit diminutive on my wrist, so I went with the 45mm Zenith. If you've got average sized wrists; I'd say go for it, it's a great watch that is very well made.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
If you like that bottom Seiko, alpina has some great pieces that look a lot like it that are going for stupidly discounted prices. You can get them for under a grand in most cases, chronograph or the less busy gmt.

BizAg13
You actually touched on two of my sticking points with the Pelagos. I wear a suit daily so I have to make sure it does not clash but it seems to blend well with most of my professional attire.

I actually have smaller to average sized wrists and when I tried the watch on it felt and looked just about right.

Just need to pull the trigger now!
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
I don't know if you're leaning more towards the blue one or the grey one, or if you care about the in-house design or not; but you can get the older model Pelagos that has the two rows of type on the face (instead of the new one which has more) for a heck of a discount right now; and they're virtually indistinguishable.
K Bo
AG
How much was that Omega NATO? I would love that for my Speedy Pro.
First Page Last Page
Page 6 of 392

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.