Houston
Sponsored by

High-end Watches Locally?

1,460,290 Views | 13506 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by schmendeler
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aTm2004 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Boo Weekley said:

Pumped to get this bad boy for Christmas!

Is your right arm way bigger than your left from carrying that around?

Just wear it on your non-fapping arm and you'll be golden.

You may hurt yourself if tried to fap with that on. Dangerous.
RightWingConspirator
AG
I have the Engineer Hydrocarbon Chronograph.

BBRex
AG
Some of you who are ready to upgrade might be interested in this:

It's going to be Vacheron Constantin's entry-level watch at about $11,700.

You can read more here:

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/vacheron-constantin-fifty-six-collection-features-brands-most-affordable-watch/

Post removed:
by user
Guitarsoup
AG
Both excellent choices.
Farmer1906
AG
Nice. I assume it is the 861 movement. What year (ballpark) is it from?

I ended up selling my from the early 90s with the plastic for an LE (patches) one. My dream one would be a 321 with original parts.
FHKChE07
AG
The Monaco is a classic.
permabull
AG
schmendeler
AG
hypeiv said:

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a Submariner this week and I am decided between two:

Option A: $6500 a late 2000 early 2001 serial number (K) that is complete with box and papers. It has not been polished and is showing its age, the seller is willing to polish it but says he hasn't because some buyers prefer originality so he was going to wait till he had a buyer before doing it. The seller has a very good reputation but doesn't have a physical store.

Option B: $6000 for a 1999 serial number (A) that is watch only (but has all the links). This one is from a jeweler who has been in business for a while and will give a 12 month warranty on the movement and the watch has been polished (which I hear some collectors frown on)

I originally didn't want to spend more than $6200 so I feel like I am getting up sold a little on Option A, but I think its worth the extra bit of money. Option B is cheaper, the watch looks better today, but might not hold its value as well as option A due to the polishing and lack of documents.

which would you go with?

i would buy 30 SKX-007's
aTm2004
AG
Are you looking to sell it down the road? If so, #1. If not, #2.
permabull
AG
permabull
AG
schmendeler
AG
hypeiv said:

I actually have the SKX007 that was worn during this shoot in my collection:

oh the huge manatee!
notheranymore
Just what I needed on this Monday!
aTm2004
AG
hypeiv said:

aTm2004 said:

Are you looking to sell it down the road? If so, #1. If not, #2.

this is what I was thinking, just wasn't sure if I was cheaping out too much
You're spending $6k on a watch...not cheaping out. I wanted a pre-ceramic and was looking for one online via rolexforum.com, trying to find a set of sellers I was comfortable with. Ended up scoring a 2007 Z-serial that was NIB. I think I paid around what the #1 is for you. Plastics and everything on it. The day I got it, I took it to an AD nearby who opened it and authenticated it, and then stated that it was the best "used" watch he's ever seen. I paid a premium (at the time) for a "new" old watch. There's nothing like opening the package and seeing a Rolex box in it.
aTm2004
AG
Only need 1.

RK
AG
wonderful pores.
aTm2004
AG
Thanks. Last week's freezing temps has been hell on them.
Post removed:
by user
Farmer1906
AG
I didn't think they still made new ones with the hesalite.
tmas
AG
hypeiv said:

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a Submariner this week and I am decided between two:

Option A: $6500 a late 2000 early 2001 serial number (K) that is complete with box and papers. It has not been polished and is showing its age, the seller is willing to polish it but says he hasn't because some buyers prefer originality so he was going to wait till he had a buyer before doing it. The seller has a very good reputation but doesn't have a physical store.

Option B: $6000 for a 1999 serial number (A) that is watch only (but has all the links). This one is from a jeweler who has been in business for a while and will give a 12 month warranty on the movement and the watch has been polished (which I hear some collectors frown on)

I originally didn't want to spend more than $6200 so I feel like I am getting up sold a little on Option A, but I think its worth the extra bit of money. Option B is cheaper, the watch looks better today, but might not hold its value as well as option A due to the polishing and lack of documents.

which would you go with?

Is a polished watch a bad thing?!? Don't you want to keep it looking new?
schmendeler
AG
tmas said:

hypeiv said:

which would you go with?

some people cherish the evidence of age and character that build up over time. same way that antique dealers usually don't like to see old furniture with a fresh coat of stain or polish on it.
aTm2004
AG
schmendeler said:

tmas said:

hypeiv said:

which would you go with?

some people cherish the evidence of age and character that build up over time. same way that antique dealers usually don't like to see old furniture with a fresh coat of stain or polish on it.
Also, polishing a watch requires metal to be removed, and if not done correctly, it can remove too much metal resulting in thinner or misshaped lugs, change the appearance on the watch, etc.
schmendeler
AG
aTm2004 said:

schmendeler said:

tmas said:

hypeiv said:

which would you go with?

Also, polishing a watch requires metal to be removed, and if not done correctly, it can remove too much metal resulting in thinner or misshaped lugs, change the appearance on the watch, etc.
good point
permabull
AG
aTm2004
AG
Option A? Where did you find it? Is it DavidSW? If so, you're golden.
Post removed:
by user
permabull
AG
aTm2004
AG
Awesome! You'll love the watch. As much flack as people give Rolex, there really is something special about putting it on for the first time. The sub is and will always be an iconic watch. I love my 16610. Jealous of the lug holes, though.
permabull
AG
aTm2004
AG
hypeiv said:

aTm2004 said:

Awesome! You'll love the watch. As much flack as people give Rolex, there really is something special about putting it on for the first time. The sub is and will always be an iconic watch. I love my 16610. Jealous of the lug holes, though.

Thanks, I can't wait. I agree Rolex has a mixed reputation but its just something I wanted so I won't try to justify it with any other reason.
So, did it get lost or did you leave it on the night stand and your hooker ran off with it? Where are the effing pics?
permabull
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
If the magnification is wrong, it is likely fake. Can you return?
schmendeler
AG
hypeiv said:

Sorry for not following up. The watch arrived less than 24 hours after the wire transfer safe and sound. Seeing it in person I quickly noticed the date magnification didn't seem right. The sellers photos accurately show this lack of magnification, I just missed it when I was evaluating them. I'm in the process of trying to figure out how much and where I can get the crystal replaced.

I made a noob mistake that is likely going to cost me $300-400, if I had noticed it before buying I likely would have gone with a different watch but live and learn I guess.
yeah, might want to check on that...
Farmer1906
AG
Guitarsoup said:

If the magnification is wrong, it is likely fake. Can you return?
Not necessarily. The magnification is a separate piece. It could have fallen off and been replaced by a nonstandard one.
First Page Last Page
Page 45 of 386

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.