Houston
Sponsored by

Oak Forest Facebook page gettin real!

58,810 Views | 337 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AgLiving06
AgLA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Doesn't seem to be an issue for Liberty Kitchen.
RK
AG
Heights demographic is a little different. As is the ambiance and quality of Liberty.
drumboy
AG
quote:
Heights demographic is a little different. As is the ambiance and quality of Liberty.

He's might be talking about the new Liberty in GOOF.
RK
AG
Oh yea. Then only the 2nd part of my post applies.
AgLA06
AG
quote:
Oh yea. Then only the 2nd part of my post applies.

Correct.
AggieTJ
AG
This afternoon, he posted a picture of what his empty dining room looked like at 8pm last night, and then wanted to know from the residents of GOOF if this is what they wanted in their neighborhood, because it wasn't being supported, and that it might not be around for much longer if this lack of business kept up.

The whole post was just a really stupid thing to do coming from someone who has pissed off as many if not more people than he's pleased in this neighborhood - and I'm just gauging that from those 200+ replies before the post got 86'd.

And then he went and created another post which gave everyone another round to complain.

And I don't even hate Plonk. The food is fine - overpriced for small portions though - and it's not a destination restaurant for us; it's just local. But, I've bought plenty of their wine, and their craft brews, and pizza over the years. I feel bad that I've been propping up this pompous ass of an owner, though.
tmaggie50
AG
What's the back story. Why do so many people in the neighborhood hate him? im curious how people come to have real issues with a restaurant owner
CDUB98
AG
Been to Plonk once. Overpriced and meh. No plans to ever return.
MAS444
AG
The guy is an *******, I think.
The Catfish
AG
Apparently he's an ass to customers from time to time: won't make simple substitutions to a dish, argues with customers, etc.. I think he has a rather large ego and it has gotten in the way of his judgment.

I personally boycotted the place based on the Ed Hardy dcor alone, but the value proposition just isn't there either - food is good not great, prices are outrages, experience sucks, wait staff sucks, you order at the bar, no flexibility to amend menu items, and it also smelled like **** in there last time we went. If I'm having a $100+ meal, I'll do it somewhere that doesn't suck at basically everything they do.
The Catfish
AG
Liberty Kitchen in GOOF has a kids menu and welcomes kids. They also run early happy hours which seem to cater well to family's. They have taken a much different approach than Plonk.
tmaggie50
AG
Welp... That Answers that question
Waltonloads08
AG
What a total moron. This is what happens when people with little business sense try to operate a business. They blame customers for their own failures.
Ag_07
AG
That OF page and it's local businesses are hilarious.

Everyone go eat at such and such because they can't pay their rent.

How about clean your restaurant, change the menu up, offer something new? Hell anything to make me want to go there.

I'm not going to spend my money there because it's owned by a resident. They all seem to think that gives you some privilege and everyone should go there because of it. Sorry...If it's crap I'm not going.
Diggity
AG
You just don't get it. The gentrifiers have an obligation to support the gentrifiees.
Boo Weekley
quote:
So the owner of Plonk apparently had a Facebook meltdown earlier. The 200+ replies are gone now, but he's done himself another disservice by starting yet another thread in which people are ripping him again. No wonder his business is failing. What a dumbass.
Plonk is run by complete meatheads. I'll never step foot in there again.
Boo Weekley
quote:
What's the back story. Why do so many people in the neighborhood hate him? im curious how people come to have real issues with a restaurant owner
I honestly don't know which dude is the actual "owner", maybe they both are. There's a big bald meathead that is usually standing outside the door guzzling wine and burning heaters with a very abrasive personality.

Then there was some older overly fratty looking dude with SEC style mop cut who was a complete pr*ck to my wife and I and the reason we haven't been back in 2 years (not sure if he's even there anymore but he was clearly part of ownership/management and not an ordinary waiter). After ordering some of their cheaper red wine and sensing his mocking attitude as a result, he came up take our order as we were milling over burger options, specifically what we went there for. Pompous d-bag says something along the lines of "we do serve more than just burgers you know" but his tone is what made me want to grab him by his SEC swoosh bangs and punch him in the nose. A few minutes later the lady at the table next to us asks for silverware for her pizza or burger and he mutters under his breathe something like "f-ing unbelievable" as he was passing our table. Long story short, I hope that dude is living under a bridge right now. Awful place. And you're like 45 years old dude, quit trying to look like a Fiji at Bama.
Al Bula
AG
Plonk is the sound my falling turds make.
The Catfish
AG
I think the bald guy is the owner and the fatty swoosh bangs is his brother or something.
CDUB98
AG
quote:
You just don't get it. The gentrifiers have an obligation to support the gentrifiees.
This is so accurate.
drumboy
AG
What's a Fiji?
Aggie09Derek
AG
quote:
What's a Fiji?

Phi Gamma Delta fraternity
terradactylexpress
quote:
That OF page and it's local businesses are hilarious.

Everyone go eat at such and such because they can't pay their rent..

Sounds just like a certain burger joint in aggieland
Boo Weekley
quote:
I think the bald guy is the owner and the fatty swoosh bangs is his brother or something.
Their food was great, at least back when chef Erin Smith was there. Haven't tried it since. I'll go to Hughie's or Liberty Kitchen (both superior restaurants in just about every way imo) before I ever give Plonk another dime.
The Catfish
AG
Agreed 100%. I think an even better parallel is Crisp. Similar concept, but executing much better.
AgLA06
AG
quote:
Agreed 100%. I think an even better parallel is Crisp. Similar concept, but executing much better.

Half the cost and better draft beer selection.

I'm looking forward to Union Kitchen as well. Their Memorial location is solid.
The Catfish
AG
While we're talking GOOF restaurants, anyone know what is going to happen to the 34th and Ella intersection? I heard El Rey was moving and some big development is coming in on that corner. What all are they taking up in that area? All the way form the corner to the jiffy lube place?
cheezag03
AG
quote:
While we're talking GOOF restaurants, anyone know what is going to happen to the 34th and Ella intersection? I heard El Rey was moving and some big development is coming in on that corner. What all are they taking up in that area? All the way form the corner to the jiffy lube place?
better not **** up shipley's
Aggie09Derek
AG
Be on the lookout for this place, should be a good sports bar:

www.facebook.com/mcintyresheights

Located 2 blocks south of Crisp
keysercade
AG

quote:
I live near there, not much out there yet but remembered reading this a while back.
RynoAg
AG
quote:

Old corkscrew location. Two blocks from the house...nice!
Aggie09Derek
AG
quote:
quote:

Old corkscrew location. Two blocks from the house...nice!

From one of the owners to me just now:

"We are focusing on sports with close to 40 big screen tvs. 100" Projector screen. Food. Draft beer. Huge patio. Opens in October."

Definitely seems like a good place to watch A&M games for those of you up in that area and he would definitely get the A&M audio on the speakers I'm sure.
E
AG
quote:

quote:
I live near there, not much out there yet but remembered reading this a while back.

This is what is proposed for that section where El Rey is http://swamplot.com/swamplot-sponsor-33-13-thirtyfourth-5/2016-07-19/

I am really excited for all this work around 34th and Ella. I live right at this intersection pretty much and hope all of it is redone in the next couple years.
Boo Weekley
quote:
True, I forget about that place but I love it.
drumboy
AG
Best part about Crisp is the fountain in the family area (patio) where my kid can entertain herself while getting completely soaked and eat some crushed granite. They also have some good happy hour specials.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.