Austin
Sponsored by

Snowpocalypse check-in

17,955 Views | 343 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by expresswrittenconsent
chet98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Steve you're referring to a previous freeze I take it?

We've been dripping both hot and cold since this arctic bull**** hit this week. Austin Water failed us today as they've failed so many today now including a couple of the hospitals.
SteveBott
AG
My pipes froze and busted in 89 in Houston. Every since I've been a bit overly concerned about it happening again. I live in RR so water has never been interrupted in 25 years.

All I can say is I never, I mean ever, want to go through 89 again. It's like someone dumped a small pool in your home, worst case.
Mookie
AG
PEC says on for 3 hrs and off for 1.5. So far we have done 2 rotations of that. Next one is in 1 min.
texag06ish
AG
78741. Gas went out Monday at 9pm.
jopatura
AG
We got power back tonight. 66 hours.
tailgatetimer10
AG
City of austin issued city wide water boiling notice. Posted at 845pm today
sdc177
AG
78645 Margaritas!
Aggieangler93
AG
Charpie said:

The tree thing is pretty fascinating to me. Growing up in the Valley, we were in a co-op. The co-op didn't care about your trees. If they intersected with a power line, they just cut them. It's so weird that Austin Energy doesn't do that
They are notorious for not spending this type infrastructure money, trimming trees off power lines, fixing potholes, funding the amount of police officers needed for a town this size etc,

Instead, they focus millions on attempting to become the homeless mecca of America, or building a train that costs hundreds of millions for 30 people a day to ride.

Don't expect anything logical, and you will be just fine with them. They've gotten to the point where nothing they do surprises me anymore.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Aggieangler93
AG
SteveBott said:

My pipes froze and busted in 89 in Houston. Every since I've been a bit overly concerned about it happening again. I live in RR so water has never been interrupted in 25 years.

All I can say is I never, I mean ever, want to go through 89 again. It's like someone dumped a small pool in your home, worst case.
I think RR may suffer at some things, but overall, I am much more impressed with their city mgt than anything South of the Travis County line. I saw their post today about their uninterrupted water and was thankful they take care of it.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
We got power back in 78751 about 2:00 Pm, we been dripping water the whole time and nothing seems to be frozen, I'd rather boil water for a month than deal with busted pipes, I will probably fixing the neighbors pipes if we can get to them, because every plumber was booing 4 weeks out. We busted pipes in Dallas in 2011and I spent 8 hours under the house repairing them at 38 degrees.if they happen inside it's a real nightmare
B/CS Dreaming
AG
Living the broken pipe nightmare now. Never lost power in our neighborhood, but half the houses on the street still had pipes break...I wonder if there is any insulation at all in my walls.

Plumbers aren't even managing lists at this point and I hear tales of 3 to 4 week lead times, so hopefully I can track it down and cap it off on my own.

Grateful to be warm, but this still sucks.
KT 90
AG
No water as apparently SW Austin was chosen by Austin Water to be shut down due to the system capacity issues. They need to rotate that shutdown to another part of town today.

Pepesilvia
AG
If you turn off your main water valve, should you also turn off your gas water heater? I've seen differing answers from plumbers, neighbors, and firefighters.

We live in southwest austin
tailgatetimer10
AG
They had a plant go down. I'm on the complete opposite side of town and the pressure is barely flowing
KT 90
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

They had a plant go down. I'm on the complete opposite side of town and the pressure is barely flowing

News this morning reported it was back online. Not a drop to this area yet.

tailgatetimer10
AG
If its back up, they are getting caught up on their reserves. No one I know in Austin has water pressure.
Swarely
Charpie said:

I saw when this is all said and done, we get together and celebrate.

We need a win, dammit..covid be damned.

Enchiladas?
Charpie
AG
Yes. OMG yes
Potcake
AG
Enchiladas sound sooo good right now.
Charpie
AG
We like Flores' enchiladas. They are made like the way they were made in school where we both grew up.
fig96
AG
Had solid power overnight in Cedar Park, fingers crossed we may be finally turning a corner.
wadd96
AG
I've got a smoker that can put out quite a bit! Including smoked enchiladas if y'all are so inclined...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Charpie said:

Honestly, I am kind of excited to see how much of a hit covid cases take after this. Everyone non-essential forced in their homes for 5 days straight, it will be interesting.
wargograw
tailgatetimer10 said:

Charpie said:

Honestly, I am kind of excited to see how much of a hit covid cases take after this. Everyone non-essential forced in their homes for 5 days straight, it will be interesting.

It's pretty unanimous these days that lockdowns don't work, so I doubt it.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Correct, lockdowns do not work because it is going to spread regardless. However we were on a significant downfall, and reducing cases is helpful for 'the cause' of getting restrictions removed.

The only reason I give a **** is I am wanting to travel for work again. I do not care outside of that.

Back to the topic of the thread
Aust Ag
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

Charpie said:

I thought we had licked Covid, haven't seen anything about it on the news in a week!
tlepoC
AG
My neighborhood is cursed
wadd96
AG
It's not COVID... It's SNOVID.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
RDV-1992
Charpie said:

We like Flores' enchiladas. They are made like the way they were made in school where we both grew up.
We like Flores too. I usually get Maggie's or Maria's plate. My wife loves the queso completa.

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Problem will be spread does occurs during long exposure in your household, and half of Austin is bunking up with another household
chet98
AG
Our water is out (main valve open) and I've turned hot water heater to "vacation" mode per a little I've read online about this topic.
rcannaday
AG
SW Austin near Regents School. We had no power since Sunday, ended up calling an audible to go to a friend's house with the kids and wife because they had electricity. Unfortunately, they had a water line burst, which was fine fixing in the middle of the night. They also had the power go out at 4 AM due to a down line in the green belt. We got power last night at our residence so that family and others came to our house. Now we are hunkered down melting snow in the bathtub.

Happy kids are safe and other families I am with. In the end, this will end up being a good experience because it shows what people are really made up of.

MaroonStain
AG
Potcake said:

Enchiladas sound sooo good right now.

I drove by Matt's El Rancho this morning and thought I would even eat there if they had chips and salsa.
"Thanks and Gig'em"
AgGrad99
AG
fig96 said:

Had solid power overnight in Cedar Park, fingers crossed we may be finally turning a corner.
Yep. I'm just north of Avery Ranch, and had power all night. That was nice!!

I've never lost water, and everything seems to be flowing ok...so I'm counting my blessings. I absolutely dread getting a busted pipe...and hope the majority of everyone on here avoids it!!
Charpie
AG
90 percent of Austin Energy folks should have power now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.